What's new

Panasonic Arc5 2nd Generation Electric Shaver ( An SWCT Review )

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
amazon isn’t perfect by far, but neither are most of its competitors. nonetheless i don’t blame anyone for not doing business with them.

I get it, everyone is in it to make a buck. And I actually do use Amazon for making a lot of orders, not everything of course. Its just that, after going through a complete disaster with buying Shea Butter on Amazon, I no longer trust them for those products. Other people have also written reviews about rotten Shea Butter on Amazon as well, so I am not the only case who had to deal with that.

enriched shea butter, what you bought will eventually go rancid from the oils. natural shea butters’ shelf life is 2-3 years on average.

Interesting! Well, I don't plan on keeping this container of Shea Butter around for 2-3 years. The plan is to use it, go through it, and hopefully need to buy some more of it before the year is over, will see how things go in that regard.

what i don’t like about the product you’re touting is that their page doesn’t indicate the volume of product. it’s too late for you to inform us since you already used some. lack of transparency when it comes to cosmetics isn’t exactly endearing in my opinion.

Now that you bring it up, your right, I've noticed that neither on the website, nor the container, does it list the weight of the product, which I admit is weird. And your right, I should have thought to weigh the container before using the product, I just didn't catch that discrepancy. But because I care, even though I used a little bit of it, I decided to weigh it anyways. Just look at this number on the scale and add a few more grams to it, and you got your rough estimate on weight.

proxy.php

What I will say, is that these are plastic containers, not glass jars. But from what I can tell, there is more Shea Butter product in this container, then there is Pre-Shave cream in Proraso's glass jars. So, for me anyways, that makes this product worth the money. Yes I know, two-different products for two-different tasks. But still, volume amounts do matter to me in comparison regardless.

You can choose to buy or not buy, that is your prerogative. I am simply trying to do my due diligence, by getting the information out there. And since you brought it up, I decided it was worth setting this up and taking a picture. Have a good day!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Hello everyone! This is SWCT coming at you with a PRO-TIP. ;)

If you are somebody who practices water conservation, ( Which I do BTW ) then this just might interest you. If you are doing a dry shave with your Panasonic Arc5, your most likely brushing the foil head and blades clean when your done. After a couple shaves however, you will notice the efficiency of your shaver, drastically reduce, leaving you to wonder what is going on.

While you can clean the inside of the two middle sections of the foil with a brush, you simply can't reach the upper and bottom sections, due to the plastic mechanism in the way. I got the bright idea to put half a glass of water inside a Waterpik flosser tool. When turned on, a jet of water pulses out the tip, which blasts all the whiskers and grime gunk away. I can adjust the pressure of the jet as well via a knob.

1689407843178.png

When I am finished cleaning it, I shake the remaining water out, and then give it a quick oiling. I use the Oster Blade Oil, comes in a tall container that looks like a rattle paint can. I just put some oil in a small Tupperware container, turn the shaver on sonic mode, oils it up nicely. Then I shake out the excess oil when done, a quick wipe with a cloth. Since I started doing this, it makes my shaver run like brand new again.

So, if your a dry shaver like me, and you never clean out your shaver over the running tap, and you notice that its suddenly taking twice as long to shave your face, or the shaver is missing whiskers when you know the blades can't be dull yet, consider the fact your foil head might be partially clogged. This has proven an excellent way to clean it out, and all it takes is half a glass of water inn a WaterPik flosser machine. :thumbup1:

thanks to your review I bought a second-hand Arc 5, upgraded the foils to the ones you have (with gold rollers) and have been having pretty decent results for a few minutes of work. I also apply 1-2 drops of Shave Secret shave oil to my skin prior to use and do use some Andis clipper oil on the razor when I'm done (1 drop per foil).

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

If you are somebody who practices water conservation, ( Which I do BTW ) then this just might interest you. If you are doing a dry shave with your Panasonic Arc5, your most likely brushing the foil head and blades clean when your done. After a couple shaves however, you will notice the efficiency of your shaver, drastically reduce, leaving you to wonder what is going on.

While you can clean the inside of the two middle sections of the foil with a brush, you simply can't reach the upper and bottom sections, due to the plastic mechanism in the way. I got the bright idea to put half a glass of water inside a Waterpik flosser tool. When turned on, a jet of water pulses out the tip, which blasts all the whiskers and grime gunk away. I can adjust the pressure of the jet as well via a knob.

When I am finished cleaning it, I shake the remaining water out, and then give it a quick oiling. I use the Oster Blade Oil, comes in a tall container that looks like a rattle paint can. I just put some oil in a small Tupperware container, turn the shaver on sonic mode, oils it up nicely. Then I shake out the excess oil when done, a quick wipe with a cloth. Since I started doing this, it makes my shaver run like brand new again.

So, if your a dry shaver like me, and you never clean out your shaver over the running tap, and you notice that its suddenly taking twice as long to shave your face, or the shaver is missing whiskers when you know the blades can't be dull yet, consider the fact your foil head might be partially clogged. This has proven an excellent way to clean it out, and all it takes is half a glass of water inn a WaterPik flosser machine. :thumbup1:
I don't understand... why would you never clean it under a running tap? It's only a little bit of water.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Not meaning to call into question your admirable habit of water conservation, but if you are getting to the point where performance of your razor is impacted by hair buildup, it might be worth while considering using a bit of water to do a sonic clean.

It doesn't take much water at all. And, it gets the razor squeaky-clean. Just apply a 5-in-1 spray afterwards, and you are ready to go.

Very good job writing that review.

I actually recently converted to the Arc 5 as well. I have been at it a few months now. I posted my review in General Shaving Discussion, but I think it's pertinent here as well. Something I discovered may help you. As always, mods, feel free to remove if you disagree, thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say this at the outset - what a strange journey it has been…

I first joined B&B way back in 2009. Suffice it to say that there was less stuff to buy then, and most of it was of a lower quality.

I wetshaved with DE razors for about 15 years, and my complaint was always that in order to get a smooth, BBS shave, I had to go over the same area again and again from different angles. This resulted in irritation and redness. My beard grows thick in all directions, so to get to BBS I have to shave in multiple passes from different directions, causing red skin, irritation, and pain. After experimentation, I found that more efficient DE razors give me a better shave with less irritation, because I have to make fewer passes.

I gradually switched from an aftershave splash, to a balm, which helped. I also learned the difference between aggressive and efficient. Eventually, I could get a reliable BBS shave, with the caveat that I had to take a break every few days, to let my skin rest. DE shaving just has never been a daily enterprise for me.

Thanks to an unexpected medical issue, I recently found myself on blood thinners, and unable to use a safety razor. I had to see what electric razors had to offer. At the outset I was not that hopeful. I last used an electric razor shortly before I got into wet shaving around 15 years ago, and my experience then was that it just could not hope to compete with a safety razor. Not close, uncomfortable, unrewarding. That being said, doctor’s orders are doctor’s orders, so I started reading everything possible to figure out the best electric option for me. And I am glad I did, because the technology that goes into electric razors has improved by leaps and bounds.

When I was forced to develop my skill using electric razors, I found that there is a learning period, just like with safety razors, where your shave is improving marginally each day as you learn new things and add them to your toolbox. By A-B testing my approach, I was able to get a quicker, closer, less irritated shave, using an electric, than I could with even the most efficient safety razor. Heresy, I know, but heresy that gets me a better shave.

All told it took about a couple months to get used to the quirks of electric shaving. I spent a long time on shavercheck.com learning technique, and how not to break the bank. (That is a great resource that you absolutely should take advantage of.) The costs of starting are practically de minimis - I only bought lubricating oil, cleaning solution, and Lectric Shave to go with the razor.

I initially bought a Braun Series Series 9 Sport. My results weren’t that great. I couldn’t get very close shaves, and it just wasn’t at all enjoyable. I tried it for a week or so, but in the end concluded that the Braun Series 9 wasn’t able to shave close enough for my pirate beard. I am used to getting BBS shaves with a safety razor, and that sets a high bar. So I returned the Braun, and got a Panasonic Arc 5 instead. I liked it better from the start. It was a cheaper option, and it shaved closer. This said, it was still a learning curve. Electric shaving, like safety razor shaving, takes some tricks and some time to get used to.

The Arc 5 is capable of either dry shaving or wet shaving. The dry shaving with Lectric Shave is quicker, and faster, but less enjoyable and a bit less close. While it would be good for rushed mornings, for me wetshaving is more enjoyable.

Electric wetshaving is closer than dryshaving. In order to wetshave with an electric razor, the technique is different from with a safety razor. With a safety razor, you go for a fluffy, shiny lather with a brush, in order to get slickness and protection. With an electric, the protection doesn’t matter because you can’t cut yourself. I just spread the Speick shaving cream over my face and add a bit water so it's more runny. Shave away, going against the grain. I have tried using a brush but found it counterproductive.

I have a bunch of Speick sticks, so next I thought I should try them with an electric razor. While a normal lather with the shave stick and a brush did not work, I found that if I rub the stick over my skin for about 15 seconds, rub my face with a wet hand to assure the soap is evenly distributed, and shave, the shave is even closer than using Speick cream, and my skin feels healthier. The stick will last a long time as well.

Finally, I have found that by combining dry shaving/cream, dry shaving/stick, cream/stick, or all three, I actually cut my time down significantly, while increasing the closeness of the shave. Rather than constantly run my hand over my face while I am shaving to see if I have missed anything, I aim for getting 80% of everything in the first dry pass with Lectric Shave. This takes about a minute and a half. Then I switch to the combo shave stick / cream, and clean up what was missed with the Lectric Shave. All told, I am done in about 5 minutes.

As for cleaning the electric razor up afterwards, there are two options. The included cleaning stand and solution are obviously great. I used them at first, and found that when I wet shave, I have to run the razor upside down for a bit, to get the excess water out, before running the cleaning and drying cycle. Otherwise, the leftover water that is stuck in the razor can accumulate in the reservoir, and eventually leak into the cleaning station, causing the solution to dilute and flood the cleaning station. It takes all of 10 seconds to get the excess water out of the razor before starting the cleaning cycle. Or, you can just take it apart and let it dry.

A cheaper option is soap and water, followed by a lubricant. The Arc 5 has a neato ultrasonic cleaning mode where the razor vibrates at a different frequency to clean itself. Get the razor wet, add soap to the outside, and start the 20-second ultrasonic cleaning mode. Then, take the outer foil off, and rinse it with water. Then, switch the body of the shaver on briefly and rinse it with water as well. Finally, just put it on a towel to dry.

Once it is dry, I apply a 5-in-1 spray and then run it for a few seconds to ensure even application. Every couple of days I will apply an oil instead to really lubricate it. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t. It takes a total of a minute or two to do the entire process. If you are trying to save money this is a great option that honestly works just as well. After I run out of the cleaning solution packets, this is probably what I will do long term.

To the moderators: I debated between putting this in General Shaving Discussion versus Modern Shaving Systems. I eventually chose the latter, because this is related to my journey, rather than solely electric razors. If you think it should go into Modern Shaving Systems, please feel free to move it!
This- wet electric shaving- Spot on my experience (but different equipment) once I learned to actually use the ”wet” feature. I used my Braun 7 for years (it’s still like new) before I tried it wet a few years ago, and I feel I was previously missing the point of owning a “wet” electric completely. Now, when I use it, I take the electric razor and a tube of Cremo into the shower and drag my index finger in front of the foil so I can ”feel” where whiskers remain as I go. Wet with shave cream in the shower, my electric shaves 500% better than dry, IMO. DFS obtainable with zero risk or irritation, pop the head off and let the shower nozzle clean it out for next time. Yes, it takes a while to rub off all the whiskers really well, but no time is spent lathering, cleaning bowls, razors, drying sinks… I apply a little mineral oil when I use it dry, but otherwise the shave cream provides all the lubrication it needs so there is no need to buy those expensive lubricate and clean base cartridges. I much prefer DE, but the electric sure is great for travel (battery would shave me 10x on one charge) for trimming other body hair, for shaving a sunburned or nicked face, etc. Now that my young son is eyeballing my beloved Braun 7, I’m guessing I’ll be cross shopping the Brauns against the Panasonic in a year or two!

A Review For Those Who Don't Mind
Modern Shaving Devices
proxy.php

I am primarily a DE shaver these days, but on occasions when I am not feeling well, pressed for time, or just not in the mood to DE shave, I like having an electric shaver. Also, sometimes I will miss a few whiskers short of a BBS when DE shaving, and so electric shavers are great for doing a quick once over, to correct such an oversight. I already own a Panasonic Arc4 electric shaver, that I bought during the pandemic. I wanted to get the Arc5, but it was priced out of the market for me, at the time, so I got the Arc4 instead. I used the Arc4 long enough to dull the blades, and while it may be a good shaver for some, ( Folks with soft beards perhaps ) but it doesn't work very well, on my course dense whiskers. Nearly 2-years later, I finally bought the Arc5!

proxy.php

The box comes packaged fairly well, the shaver comes in its fake leather case, and the power adapter has its own spot. Oddly enough, while they have a compartment for storing the acclaimed shaver oil and brush, they are not found in the LV65 packaging. Unless you buy the full LV95 kit, I just don't think you get those items, so better have some on hand, or you will have to buy those.

proxy.php

The case is pretty nice quality actually, solid zipper on it, fake leather feels good in the hand, fits the shaver well, along with a shaver brush you can put inside as well. The power adapter also seems like quality, space saving design so it doesn't take up your entire outlet, and comes with a good amount of cable. Unfortunately, while the shaver is indeed made in Japan, the power adapter is made in China, so just keep that in mind.

proxy.php

As you can see, the 2nd generation Arc5, has a real sleek design to it, and I think it looks better then 3rd generation models. Black and silver are this shavers contours, with a glossy surface, this shaver was made to impress. It also has a premium feel to it, with a durable plastic material, and a sort of rubberized grip for the bottom and sides. It comes with a travel lock, a feature not found on the Arc4, a must have for those who travel a lot, tossing this in their bag. You don't want your electric shaver to start buzzing in your carry on in the plane, it sets off the wrong message.

proxy.php

The Arc4 weighed in at 0.64 ounces, with a size of 6.2 inches, by 2.4 inches, by 1.8 inches. The Arc5 however, is a larger unit, and weighs in at 6.88 ounces, and is 6.8 inches, by 2.8 inches, by 2.1 inches. This is also a better shaver if you have large hands, easier to get a better grip hold on it, which I like. Panasonic has been using, linear drive motors, in their shavers for many years now. While the Arc4 used a 13,000 CPM motor, the Arc5 uses a 14,000 CPM motor, so it operates faster.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The head of the Arc5, has been redesigned, from what was seen in previous models. As technology improved in linear drive motors, it allowed them to reduce the size of the motor, allowing them to put it in the head itself. This is primarily what has allowed them to re-design the head, to allow for multi-directional flex movement. For those who prefer to not have a flexing head, you can lock it by using the switch in the back. The side burn trimmer control, is also integrated into the same switch as well.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The Arc5 uses a 5 section foil, with a cutter in the center. Unlike the Arc4, which has a complete foil cartridge assembly, the Arc5 uses a 2-piece foil design. Since foil replacements do not include the foil frame, make sure you save that piece! Additionally, the foil itself is upgradable, should you wish to use a 3rd generation Arc5 foil, all Arc5 foil designs are interchangeable. The blades have also changed. The Arc4 had wider blades, but were less long. Where as the Arc5 blades are more narrow, but longer. The Arc5 also has a larger mounting plate behind the blades, this should add to the durability of the shaver.

proxy.php

The Arc5 uses a 3.6V 1 watt hour lithium battery, recharge time 1-hour using the included RE7-59 charger. Wet/dry certification as listed, made in Japan. My shaver came with a 0% battery, I put the charger on it, and it was most certainly charged within 1-hour, can confirm. This is the ES-LV65 model, in other words, mine is the one without the cleaning station. If you really want the cleaning station, you'd be looking for the ES-LV95 kit, which will cost you more.

If you look closely at the shaver, you will see a plus and minus, which indicates positive and negative polarity. Please take note at the plus and minus on the charger cable, and orient it correctly, before you plug it into your shaver.

My first Arc5 Shaving Experience!
View attachment 1658196

Its really awesome that modern day electrics shavers, can be used wet or dry, even my Arc4 had that ability! But my Arc4 really struggles to cut my whiskers, I just don't think the motor has enough horse power or speed to get the job done, plus its smaller head probably doesn't help much either. Today I put my new Arc5 through its paces, by having it go up against 3-day whisker growth! I also decided to try shaving the most convenient method available, doing a dry shave. Oddly enough, when I turned my Arc5 on, despite being a higher CPM motor, it was quieter then my Arc4.

And as expected, tasking this shaver against 3-day whiskers, took a little longer then usual. Typically, you'd do a 1-day to 2-day shave with foil based shavers. But I will tell you what, this thing took the challenge like a champ, and mowed it all down. It actually felt like the shaver was sucking itself to my skin, and razing my whiskers up to be hacked off. Having said that however, where as my Arc4 felt like I was scraping my skin the entire time using it, I felt the Arc5 produced a much more comfortable shave, and didn't leave me all red afterwords.

We all talk about the importance of mapping out ones beard, when doing a DE shave. It is especially common for ones neck whiskers to grow in multiple directions, just to make your shaving life interesting. I discovered through experience, that the Arc5 is no different then a DE blade, when it comes to beard mapping. When I finished going over my neck, I discovered that there was whiskers still left, leaving me shy of a BBS. When I went XTG on my neck with the Arc5, it was then able to pick up the remaining whiskers, to bring me to a BBS.

I also discovered that, unlike a DE shave, where no pressure is required, the Arc5 works best, if you apply a little bit of pressure. I used both up/down patterns, as well as circular patterns when shaving. I found that the flex head was useful in the jaw line, where it helps to navigate around the jaw bone, as well as my chin. When doing the moostash, an area famous for difficulties with some DE razors to get under nose hairs, I thought the large Arc5 head was going to give me problems. In reality, it was no different in difficulty then an DE razor, that forces you to have to work it a little bit, to get them pesky under nose hairs to completion.

I will say, learning proper technique using an DE razor, has helped prepare me for the large Arc5 head. As I simply stretched the skin, and I was able to get the remaining few whiskers, all the way to a BBS. I also achieved in getting my cheeks, side burns, chin, and neck line to a BBS, as the shave was completed to my satisfaction, to a 100% BBS shave. This shave would have gone even faster still, if I were not shaving 3-day whiskers. This shave also, would have probably been even more comfortable still, if I did a gel based wet shave. But for the first shave out, I am pretty impressed!

Additionally, I was running the shaver on the first setting, which is intelligent sensor mode. When the shaver wasn't being pushed hard, it was running its rated speed at lower torque. When the shaver was getting pushed harder going through a dense section of whiskers, like those on my chin for example, I could hear the motor getting momentarily louder, as it began delivering more torque. This reminds me of how a governed small engine works, on a lawn mower. As a mechanic, I find this feature pretty awesome, and I really love it. I was able to complete a full 100% BBS shave, with having 80% battery life left after the shave!

Cleaning the shaver is simple, pop the foil off, clean out under the faucet tap, and do the same for the blades. For bonus cleaning points, tap the power button on the Arc5 3 times to enter hyperactive cleaning mode, sting like a bee, bobs your uncle, blades clean and your foil. Leave shaver and foil apart on a bathroom towel to dry. Once dry, re-attach foil, and apply a couple of Wahl clipper oil drops onto the 5 section foil, while the shaver is running, which also oils the blades. This way your shaver is ready for the next shave.

So far, I am going to have to give this shaver a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars, as its the best electric shaver I have ever bought. And is the only electric shaver that can handle my beard. My Arc4 takes the place of backup electric shaver now, cause my Arc5 is the new king baby. !!!WOOHOO!!! :thumbup:
Really well done! I cherish the like new Braun 7 I’ve had many, many years. WET shaving electrics, when used with shaving cream, completely change the electric razor game. I still prefer and use DE, but when I need something fast for travel, a recovery shave, a sunburn, etc….can’t beat the electric used with a cheap tube of Cremo. I use it in the shower. I wonder how many people own these tools that have never tried using them as intended?

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Really well done! I cherish the like new Braun 7 I’ve had many, many years. WET shaving electrics, when used with shaving cream, completely change the electric razor game. I still prefer and use DE, but when I need something fast for travel, a recovery shave, a sunburn, etc….can’t beat the electric used with a cheap tube of Cremo. I use it in the shower. I wonder how many people own these tools that have never tried using them as intended?

Its been awhile, so I can't remember if I said this in my review. But I tend to bounce back in-between using a DE for a shave, or using my Panasonic Arc5 for a shave. Perfect example, the last two times I shaved, it was a bit of a bloodletting with my new TB DE razor. So, I'm going to have a shave soon with my Panasonic Arc5, because I don't feel like bringing a blade to my face right now.

A DE razor will always produce a better quality BBS shave, but your at risk of irritation and weepers, and wet shaving makes a serious mess in my shave den. An Electric razor will never produce as good of a BBS shave as a DE razor, but I am unlikely to get any bleeding with an electric razor, unless I push the shave too far, and get only slight capillary bleeding. And electrics don't make a mess all over the shave den either.

If I am recovering from a bad DE shave job, which I am BTW, I'd rather give my skin an extra weekend off from running an DE over it, and just do an electric shave. It really depends on a lot of things folks. Am I in the mood to do a full DE shave regimen? Am I recovering from a previous bad shave job? Am I pressed for time too much, forced to shave in the morning before work for some reason?

When it comes to shaving, I don't consider it the same thing as cutting the cord with the local cable provider, and only doing internet online streaming. I will both do DE shaves, or electric shaves. But one thing is for sure, when it comes to my thick course whiskers, I had to get the higher end shaver, because the Arc4 proved to be not good enough for my whiskers. But the Arc5 is much better, especially using the gold roller foil.

But one thing I discovered about my electric shaver though is, like with a DE, don't apply too much pressure when going over the jaw bone lines, chin, or moostash area. I've since discovered, that the foil protector that keeps your skin at a safe distance, won't help you if you apply too much pressure around the bone areas, and it will allow the blade to make contact to your skin passed the foil. Don't ask me how it does that, I am not a scientist, all I know is what it did.

So just use light pressure with your electric, and you should be ok. And incase I didn't already mention this in my review or follow up. You use an electric shaver like you would an DE as well. You will learn real quick what works and what doesn't work for you. But I find, the same way we do a 3-pass DE shave, you will be amazed when your electric shaver gets more whiskers off your neck for example, when you do XTG. So in other words, don't just go up or down, a circle around, also go side to side as well.

Always a fantastic recovery tool after a mishap, sunburn, unchecked whisker growth, etc. as well as just a great “good enough” shave when you don’t feel like messing with all the DE process or packing it all for a weekend. I rarely use mine, but if it broke I would replace it immediately because I love it so much for the versatility and rare occasions I do use it. Two days ago I used it to trim the hair off my fuzzy pre-teen’s neck line after cleaning up my own and following up with a Mach 3 as I’m not comfortable using an aggressive DE to shave the back of my neck using two mirrors, and my neck typically needs shaving way before I need another haircut. I do wish it would work on nose and ear hair as it seems the hairs on my head are now increasingly choosing different exit routes as I get older, lol. I don’t use a DE for that, either. I use small scissors or a trimmer. At that level, none of us are “purist” in that some type of a razor is all we need to groom ourselves properly. Hope you are well. Enjoy following your journeys here.

@CzechCzar - excellent review and insights!

Has anyone here tried a pre-shave like Grooming Dept.'s in combination with an electric razor?

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker - thanks for pointing out the pressure factor since I'm suspecting that the mainstay of irritiation I've experienced from the Arc 5 has been related to me likely applying to much pressure. I was thinking that more pressure = closer shave. And while it does, it also means I'm pushing my skin through the foil holes into contact with the blades.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I am going to repost something from my journals thread, that will probably have relevance to those in this thread as well.

CzechCzar's cozy chalet AKA why my wife left me - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/czechczars-cozy-chalet-aka-why-my-wife-left-me.641497/post-12414736

--------------------

I recently purchased a Panasonic ES9040 Replacement Spare Blade Inner Outer set for my Panasonic Arc 5 electric razor.

The anticipated replacement schedule is 12 to 18 months. Mine barely lasted 6 months!! I guess this validates what I have always said on B&B, that I have a pirate beard. The razor started just not shaving closely, and, it left my face feeling hot.

I heavily researched the replacement blade. Panasonic has a dizzying number of replacements available. Rather than retire old blades, they seem to keep all or most of them in production.

I read up on Arc 5 blades on shavercheck - that guy is very thorough! - and pulled the trigger. The new head came and I have gotta say, it is a night and day difference.

Shaving is now quicker, easier, and closer, all by a factor of at least 50%. I would strongly recommend that any Arc users upgrade their blades!

--------------------

I have recently discovered something that I want to document.

Rather than using my Arc 5 in the shower, I opted to just shave before I took a shower for about a week.

I discovered something that I think will apply to many/most of us, who have good technique from using safety razors: the floating head results in a less close shave. This ran directly contrary to my expectations.

You can validate this quite easily. Shave over your face using the floating head, until you don’t hear anything else being cut. Lock the head and try shaving again. Dollars to donuts you will start to hear more hair being cut!

And, it's not a little difference. I got a shave almost as close as my shower shaves.

--------------------

Following up on this post, for documentation's sake...

Locking the pivoting foil in a fixed position increases efficiency to an insane degree. Shaving with my Arc 5 and a fixed head this morning following my usual route - first outside the shower, then wetshaving in the shower) gave the closest shave I have had in literally years. Zero irritation, still almost BBS 6+ hours later.

I think the addition of a Panasonic ES9040 head helped greatly. Switching to that upgraded head made a huge difference as well.

--------------------

Hope that some of you gents can replicate my outstanding shaves!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I am going to repost something from my journals thread, that will probably have relevance to those in this thread as well.

CzechCzar's cozy chalet AKA why my wife left me - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/czechczars-cozy-chalet-aka-why-my-wife-left-me.641497/post-12414736

--------------------

I recently purchased a Panasonic ES9040 Replacement Spare Blade Inner Outer set for my Panasonic Arc 5 electric razor.

The anticipated replacement schedule is 12 to 18 months. Mine barely lasted 6 months!! I guess this validates what I have always said on B&B, that I have a pirate beard. The razor started just not shaving closely, and, it left my face feeling hot.

I heavily researched the replacement blade. Panasonic has a dizzying number of replacements available. Rather than retire old blades, they seem to keep all or most of them in production.

I read up on Arc 5 blades on shavercheck - that guy is very thorough! - and pulled the trigger. The new head came and I have gotta say, it is a night and day difference.

Shaving is now quicker, easier, and closer, all by a factor of at least 50%. I would strongly recommend that any Arc users upgrade their blades!

--------------------

I have recently discovered something that I want to document.

Rather than using my Arc 5 in the shower, I opted to just shave before I took a shower for about a week.

I discovered something that I think will apply to many/most of us, who have good technique from using safety razors: the floating head results in a less close shave. This ran directly contrary to my expectations.

You can validate this quite easily. Shave over your face using the floating head, until you don’t hear anything else being cut. Lock the head and try shaving again. Dollars to donuts you will start to hear more hair being cut!

And, it's not a little difference. I got a shave almost as close as my shower shaves.

--------------------

Following up on this post, for documentation's sake...

Locking the pivoting foil in a fixed position increases efficiency to an insane degree. Shaving with my Arc 5 and a fixed head this morning following my usual route - first outside the shower, then wetshaving in the shower) gave the closest shave I have had in literally years. Zero irritation, still almost BBS 6+ hours later.

I think the addition of a Panasonic ES9040 head helped greatly. Switching to that upgraded head made a huge difference as well.

--------------------

Hope that some of you gents can replicate my outstanding shaves!

I wanted to thank you for posting this information. I always assumed the pivoting head, was better for shaving, I suppose it would help if you suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome. But since I do not suffer from carpal tunnel, I suppose having the head locked, wouldn't hurt anything. The next time I shave with my Panasonic, I will lock the pivoting head, and see if the efficiency amps up, as I will most certainly appreciate that.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I wanted to thank you for posting this information. I always assumed the pivoting head, was better for shaving, I suppose it would help if you suffered from carpal tunnel syndrome. But since I do not suffer from carpal tunnel, I suppose having the head locked, wouldn't hurt anything. The next time I shave with my Panasonic, I will lock the pivoting head, and see if the efficiency amps up, as I will most certainly appreciate that.
Very glad you think it will be useful. Please let us know what you think after your experiment!!

It is IMHO very much worth it to buy the upgraded foil, and shave first dry then wet. The sum of incremental marginal improvements is impressive.

Recently, I’ve used an electric shaver on a few shaves to save time. It’s a Braun PocketGO. I’ve had it for about 25 years, mostly in the closet, but I just replaced the head and the non-rechargeable batteries.

Bottom line: Kind of gets the job done. I save 10-15 minutes per shave, but, even with LectricShave and several passes on my light-to-medium beard, the shave isn’t very close. It’s DFS minus-minus for 3-4 hours with quick downhill from there.

So, I just ordered a Panasonic ARC 5, ES-LV6Q. It’s wet-dry and full-featured with the newest head. About $200. That should give electric shaving a fair test.

Delivery is supposed to be Wednesday. I’ll report back after a few shaves.

Recently, I’ve used an electric shaver on a few shaves to save time. It’s a Braun PocketGO. I’ve had it for about 25 years, mostly in the closet, but I just replaced the head and the non-rechargeable batteries.

Bottom line: Kind of gets the job done. I save 10-15 minutes per shave, but, even with LectricShave and several passes on my light-to-medium beard, the shave isn’t very close. It’s DFS minus-minus for 3-4 hours with quick downhill from there.

So, I just ordered a Panasonic ARC 5, ES-LV6Q. It’s wet-dry and full-featured with the newest head. About $200. That should give electric shaving a fair test.

Delivery is supposed to be Wednesday. I’ll report back after a few shaves. arrived today—less than 24 hours after I placed the order. Charged up. First shave tomorrow morning.
Package arrived today—less than 24 hours after I placed the order. All charged up. First shave with it tomorrow morning.

Advice??

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Package arrived today—less than 24 hours after I placed the order. All charged up. First shave with it tomorrow morning.

Advice??
use afta or electric shave
use an upgraded head
shave outside, then inside the shower
lock the head while shaving

use afta or electric shave
use an upgraded head
shave outside, then inside the shower
lock the head while shaving
I just shaved dry, before showering, with Lectric Shave beforehand. It took less than 10 minutes including cleanup. Close to BBS in much less than half the time for a DE shave. No ritual or Zen time and not as satisfying as a DE. But it will save time getting ready for in-office days.

Top Bottom