What's new

Panasonic Arc5 2nd Generation Electric Shaver ( An SWCT Review )

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

A Review For Those Who Don't Mind
Modern Shaving Devices
proxy.php

I am primarily a DE shaver these days, but on occasions when I am not feeling well, pressed for time, or just not in the mood to DE shave, I like having an electric shaver. Also, sometimes I will miss a few whiskers short of a BBS when DE shaving, and so electric shavers are great for doing a quick once over, to correct such an oversight. I already own a Panasonic Arc4 electric shaver, that I bought during the pandemic. I wanted to get the Arc5, but it was priced out of the market for me, at the time, so I got the Arc4 instead. I used the Arc4 long enough to dull the blades, and while it may be a good shaver for some, ( Folks with soft beards perhaps ) but it doesn't work very well, on my course dense whiskers. Nearly 2-years later, I finally bought the Arc5!

proxy.php

The box comes packaged fairly well, the shaver comes in its fake leather case, and the power adapter has its own spot. Oddly enough, while they have a compartment for storing the acclaimed shaver oil and brush, they are not found in the LV65 packaging. Unless you buy the full LV95 kit, I just don't think you get those items, so better have some on hand, or you will have to buy those.

proxy.php

The case is pretty nice quality actually, solid zipper on it, fake leather feels good in the hand, fits the shaver well, along with a shaver brush you can put inside as well. The power adapter also seems like quality, space saving design so it doesn't take up your entire outlet, and comes with a good amount of cable. Unfortunately, while the shaver is indeed made in Japan, the power adapter is made in China, so just keep that in mind.

proxy.php

As you can see, the 2nd generation Arc5, has a real sleek design to it, and I think it looks better then 3rd generation models. Black and silver are this shavers contours, with a glossy surface, this shaver was made to impress. It also has a premium feel to it, with a durable plastic material, and a sort of rubberized grip for the bottom and sides. It comes with a travel lock, a feature not found on the Arc4, a must have for those who travel a lot, tossing this in their bag. You don't want your electric shaver to start buzzing in your carry on in the plane, it sets off the wrong message.

proxy.php

The Arc4 weighed in at 0.64 ounces, with a size of 6.2 inches, by 2.4 inches, by 1.8 inches. The Arc5 however, is a larger unit, and weighs in at 6.88 ounces, and is 6.8 inches, by 2.8 inches, by 2.1 inches. This is also a better shaver if you have large hands, easier to get a better grip hold on it, which I like. Panasonic has been using, linear drive motors, in their shavers for many years now. While the Arc4 used a 13,000 CPM motor, the Arc5 uses a 14,000 CPM motor, so it operates faster.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The head of the Arc5, has been redesigned, from what was seen in previous models. As technology improved in linear drive motors, it allowed them to reduce the size of the motor, allowing them to put it in the head itself. This is primarily what has allowed them to re-design the head, to allow for multi-directional flex movement. For those who prefer to not have a flexing head, you can lock it by using the switch in the back. The side burn trimmer control, is also integrated into the same switch as well.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The Arc5 uses a 5 section foil, with a cutter in the center. Unlike the Arc4, which has a complete foil cartridge assembly, the Arc5 uses a 2-piece foil design. Since foil replacements do not include the foil frame, make sure you save that piece! Additionally, the foil itself is upgradable, should you wish to use a 3rd generation Arc5 foil, all Arc5 foil designs are interchangeable. The blades have also changed. The Arc4 had wider blades, but were less long. Where as the Arc5 blades are more narrow, but longer. The Arc5 also has a larger mounting plate behind the blades, this should add to the durability of the shaver.

proxy.php

The Arc5 uses a 3.6V 1 watt hour lithium battery, recharge time 1-hour using the included RE7-59 charger. Wet/dry certification as listed, made in Japan. My shaver came with a 0% battery, I put the charger on it, and it was most certainly charged within 1-hour, can confirm. This is the ES-LV65 model, in other words, mine is the one without the cleaning station. If you really want the cleaning station, you'd be looking for the ES-LV95 kit, which will cost you more.

IMG_4855.JPG

If you look closely at the shaver, you will see a plus and minus, which indicates positive and negative polarity. Please take note at the plus and minus on the charger cable, and orient it correctly, before you plug it into your shaver.

My first Arc5 Shaving Experience!
IMG_4819.JPG

Its really awesome that modern day electrics shavers, can be used wet or dry, even my Arc4 had that ability! But my Arc4 really struggles to cut my whiskers, I just don't think the motor has enough horse power or speed to get the job done, plus its smaller head probably doesn't help much either. Today I put my new Arc5 through its paces, by having it go up against 3-day whisker growth! I also decided to try shaving the most convenient method available, doing a dry shave. Oddly enough, when I turned my Arc5 on, despite being a higher CPM motor, it was quieter then my Arc4.

And as expected, tasking this shaver against 3-day whiskers, took a little longer then usual. Typically, you'd do a 1-day to 2-day shave with foil based shavers. But I will tell you what, this thing took the challenge like a champ, and mowed it all down. It actually felt like the shaver was sucking itself to my skin, and razing my whiskers up to be hacked off. Having said that however, where as my Arc4 felt like I was scraping my skin the entire time using it, I felt the Arc5 produced a much more comfortable shave, and didn't leave me all red afterwords.

We all talk about the importance of mapping out ones beard, when doing a DE shave. It is especially common for ones neck whiskers to grow in multiple directions, just to make your shaving life interesting. I discovered through experience, that the Arc5 is no different then a DE blade, when it comes to beard mapping. When I finished going over my neck, I discovered that there was whiskers still left, leaving me shy of a BBS. When I went XTG on my neck with the Arc5, it was then able to pick up the remaining whiskers, to bring me to a BBS.

I also discovered that, unlike a DE shave, where no pressure is required, the Arc5 works best, if you apply a little bit of pressure. I used both up/down patterns, as well as circular patterns when shaving. I found that the flex head was useful in the jaw line, where it helps to navigate around the jaw bone, as well as my chin. When doing the moostash, an area famous for difficulties with some DE razors to get under nose hairs, I thought the large Arc5 head was going to give me problems. In reality, it was no different in difficulty then an DE razor, that forces you to have to work it a little bit, to get them pesky under nose hairs to completion.

I will say, learning proper technique using an DE razor, has helped prepare me for the large Arc5 head. As I simply stretched the skin, and I was able to get the remaining few whiskers, all the way to a BBS. I also achieved in getting my cheeks, side burns, chin, and neck line to a BBS, as the shave was completed to my satisfaction, to a 100% BBS shave. This shave would have gone even faster still, if I were not shaving 3-day whiskers. This shave also, would have probably been even more comfortable still, if I did a gel based wet shave. But for the first shave out, I am pretty impressed!

Additionally, I was running the shaver on the first setting, which is intelligent sensor mode. When the shaver wasn't being pushed hard, it was running its rated speed at lower torque. When the shaver was getting pushed harder going through a dense section of whiskers, like those on my chin for example, I could hear the motor getting momentarily louder, as it began delivering more torque. This reminds me of how a governed small engine works, on a lawn mower. As a mechanic, I find this feature pretty awesome, and I really love it. I was able to complete a full 100% BBS shave, with having 80% battery life left after the shave!

Cleaning the shaver is simple, pop the foil off, clean out under the faucet tap, and do the same for the blades. For bonus cleaning points, tap the power button on the Arc5 3 times to enter hyperactive cleaning mode, sting like a bee, bobs your uncle, blades clean and your foil. Leave shaver and foil apart on a bathroom towel to dry. Once dry, re-attach foil, and apply a couple of Wahl clipper oil drops onto the 5 section foil, while the shaver is running, which also oils the blades. This way your shaver is ready for the next shave.

So far, I am going to have to give this shaver a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars, as its the best electric shaver I have ever bought. And is the only electric shaver that can handle my beard. My Arc4 takes the place of backup electric shaver now, cause my Arc5 is the new king baby. !!!WOOHOO!!! :thumbup:

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Very good job writing that review.

I actually recently converted to the Arc 5 as well. I have been at it a few months now. I posted my review in General Shaving Discussion, but I think it's pertinent here as well. Something I discovered may help you. As always, mods, feel free to remove if you disagree, thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say this at the outset - what a strange journey it has been…

I first joined B&B way back in 2009. Suffice it to say that there was less stuff to buy then, and most of it was of a lower quality.

I wetshaved with DE razors for about 15 years, and my complaint was always that in order to get a smooth, BBS shave, I had to go over the same area again and again from different angles. This resulted in irritation and redness. My beard grows thick in all directions, so to get to BBS I have to shave in multiple passes from different directions, causing red skin, irritation, and pain. After experimentation, I found that more efficient DE razors give me a better shave with less irritation, because I have to make fewer passes.

I gradually switched from an aftershave splash, to a balm, which helped. I also learned the difference between aggressive and efficient. Eventually, I could get a reliable BBS shave, with the caveat that I had to take a break every few days, to let my skin rest. DE shaving just has never been a daily enterprise for me.

Thanks to an unexpected medical issue, I recently found myself on blood thinners, and unable to use a safety razor. I had to see what electric razors had to offer. At the outset I was not that hopeful. I last used an electric razor shortly before I got into wet shaving around 15 years ago, and my experience then was that it just could not hope to compete with a safety razor. Not close, uncomfortable, unrewarding. That being said, doctor’s orders are doctor’s orders, so I started reading everything possible to figure out the best electric option for me. And I am glad I did, because the technology that goes into electric razors has improved by leaps and bounds.

When I was forced to develop my skill using electric razors, I found that there is a learning period, just like with safety razors, where your shave is improving marginally each day as you learn new things and add them to your toolbox. By A-B testing my approach, I was able to get a quicker, closer, less irritated shave, using an electric, than I could with even the most efficient safety razor. Heresy, I know, but heresy that gets me a better shave.

All told it took about a couple months to get used to the quirks of electric shaving. I spent a long time on shavercheck.com learning technique, and how not to break the bank. (That is a great resource that you absolutely should take advantage of.) The costs of starting are practically de minimis - I only bought lubricating oil, cleaning solution, and Lectric Shave to go with the razor.

I initially bought a Braun Series Series 9 Sport. My results weren’t that great. I couldn’t get very close shaves, and it just wasn’t at all enjoyable. I tried it for a week or so, but in the end concluded that the Braun Series 9 wasn’t able to shave close enough for my pirate beard. I am used to getting BBS shaves with a safety razor, and that sets a high bar. So I returned the Braun, and got a Panasonic Arc 5 instead. I liked it better from the start. It was a cheaper option, and it shaved closer. This said, it was still a learning curve. Electric shaving, like safety razor shaving, takes some tricks and some time to get used to.

The Arc 5 is capable of either dry shaving or wet shaving. The dry shaving with Lectric Shave is quicker, and faster, but less enjoyable and a bit less close. While it would be good for rushed mornings, for me wetshaving is more enjoyable.

Electric wetshaving is closer than dryshaving. In order to wetshave with an electric razor, the technique is different from with a safety razor. With a safety razor, you go for a fluffy, shiny lather with a brush, in order to get slickness and protection. With an electric, the protection doesn’t matter because you can’t cut yourself. I just spread the Speick shaving cream over my face and add a bit water so it's more runny. Shave away, going against the grain. I have tried using a brush but found it counterproductive.

I have a bunch of Speick sticks, so next I thought I should try them with an electric razor. While a normal lather with the shave stick and a brush did not work, I found that if I rub the stick over my skin for about 15 seconds, rub my face with a wet hand to assure the soap is evenly distributed, and shave, the shave is even closer than using Speick cream, and my skin feels healthier. The stick will last a long time as well.

Finally, I have found that by combining dry shaving/cream, dry shaving/stick, cream/stick, or all three, I actually cut my time down significantly, while increasing the closeness of the shave. Rather than constantly run my hand over my face while I am shaving to see if I have missed anything, I aim for getting 80% of everything in the first dry pass with Lectric Shave. This takes about a minute and a half. Then I switch to the combo shave stick / cream, and clean up what was missed with the Lectric Shave. All told, I am done in about 5 minutes.

As for cleaning the electric razor up afterwards, there are two options. The included cleaning stand and solution are obviously great. I used them at first, and found that when I wet shave, I have to run the razor upside down for a bit, to get the excess water out, before running the cleaning and drying cycle. Otherwise, the leftover water that is stuck in the razor can accumulate in the reservoir, and eventually leak into the cleaning station, causing the solution to dilute and flood the cleaning station. It takes all of 10 seconds to get the excess water out of the razor before starting the cleaning cycle. Or, you can just take it apart and let it dry.

A cheaper option is soap and water, followed by a lubricant. The Arc 5 has a neato ultrasonic cleaning mode where the razor vibrates at a different frequency to clean itself. Get the razor wet, add soap to the outside, and start the 20-second ultrasonic cleaning mode. Then, take the outer foil off, and rinse it with water. Then, switch the body of the shaver on briefly and rinse it with water as well. Finally, just put it on a towel to dry.

Once it is dry, I apply a 5-in-1 spray and then run it for a few seconds to ensure even application. Every couple of days I will apply an oil instead to really lubricate it. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t. It takes a total of a minute or two to do the entire process. If you are trying to save money this is a great option that honestly works just as well. After I run out of the cleaning solution packets, this is probably what I will do long term.

To the moderators: I debated between putting this in General Shaving Discussion versus Modern Shaving Systems. I eventually chose the latter, because this is related to my journey, rather than solely electric razors. If you think it should go into Modern Shaving Systems, please feel free to move it!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Great review! I have this same Arc 5 and I concur with your thoughts on it. It provides a surprisingly good shave for those times when a wet shave isn't an option. Best electric I've ever owned for sure.

Thank you Velocityboy! Its nice to know that other's have had the same experience as I have with the Arc5. Japan knows how to make some good stuff I tell ya! Thanks for checking out my review, I appreciate it!

That was a professional quality review, for what sounds like an exceptional electric razor! Well done my friend.

Thanks you so much Dan! These are the type of reviews that I like to do, I like to help others to make smart purchasing decisions. I feel that details are important, so I try to include as much as I can, to go along with my experience. I appreciate you stopping on by to see how I am doing over here, I know you have been busy running the Arkoland kingdom.

Very good job writing that review.

I actually recently converted to the Arc 5 as well. I have been at it a few months now. I posted my review in General Shaving Discussion, but I think it's pertinent here as well. Something I discovered may help you. As always, mods, feel free to remove if you disagree, thanks!

------------------------------------------------------------------

I will say this at the outset - what a strange journey it has been…

I first joined B&B way back in 2009. Suffice it to say that there was less stuff to buy then, and most of it was of a lower quality.

I wetshaved with DE razors for about 15 years, and my complaint was always that in order to get a smooth, BBS shave, I had to go over the same area again and again from different angles. This resulted in irritation and redness. My beard grows thick in all directions, so to get to BBS I have to shave in multiple passes from different directions, causing red skin, irritation, and pain. After experimentation, I found that more efficient DE razors give me a better shave with less irritation, because I have to make fewer passes.

I gradually switched from an aftershave splash, to a balm, which helped. I also learned the difference between aggressive and efficient. Eventually, I could get a reliable BBS shave, with the caveat that I had to take a break every few days, to let my skin rest. DE shaving just has never been a daily enterprise for me.

Thanks to an unexpected medical issue, I recently found myself on blood thinners, and unable to use a safety razor. I had to see what electric razors had to offer. At the outset I was not that hopeful. I last used an electric razor shortly before I got into wet shaving around 15 years ago, and my experience then was that it just could not hope to compete with a safety razor. Not close, uncomfortable, unrewarding. That being said, doctor’s orders are doctor’s orders, so I started reading everything possible to figure out the best electric option for me. And I am glad I did, because the technology that goes into electric razors has improved by leaps and bounds.

When I was forced to develop my skill using electric razors, I found that there is a learning period, just like with safety razors, where your shave is improving marginally each day as you learn new things and add them to your toolbox. By A-B testing my approach, I was able to get a quicker, closer, less irritated shave, using an electric, than I could with even the most efficient safety razor. Heresy, I know, but heresy that gets me a better shave.

All told it took about a couple months to get used to the quirks of electric shaving. I spent a long time on shavercheck.com learning technique, and how not to break the bank. (That is a great resource that you absolutely should take advantage of.) The costs of starting are practically de minimis - I only bought lubricating oil, cleaning solution, and Lectric Shave to go with the razor.

I initially bought a Braun Series Series 9 Sport. My results weren’t that great. I couldn’t get very close shaves, and it just wasn’t at all enjoyable. I tried it for a week or so, but in the end concluded that the Braun Series 9 wasn’t able to shave close enough for my pirate beard. I am used to getting BBS shaves with a safety razor, and that sets a high bar. So I returned the Braun, and got a Panasonic Arc 5 instead. I liked it better from the start. It was a cheaper option, and it shaved closer. This said, it was still a learning curve. Electric shaving, like safety razor shaving, takes some tricks and some time to get used to.

The Arc 5 is capable of either dry shaving or wet shaving. The dry shaving with Lectric Shave is quicker, and faster, but less enjoyable and a bit less close. While it would be good for rushed mornings, for me wetshaving is more enjoyable.

Electric wetshaving is closer than dryshaving. In order to wetshave with an electric razor, the technique is different from with a safety razor. With a safety razor, you go for a fluffy, shiny lather with a brush, in order to get slickness and protection. With an electric, the protection doesn’t matter because you can’t cut yourself. I just spread the Speick shaving cream over my face and add a bit water so it's more runny. Shave away, going against the grain. I have tried using a brush but found it counterproductive.

I have a bunch of Speick sticks, so next I thought I should try them with an electric razor. While a normal lather with the shave stick and a brush did not work, I found that if I rub the stick over my skin for about 15 seconds, rub my face with a wet hand to assure the soap is evenly distributed, and shave, the shave is even closer than using Speick cream, and my skin feels healthier. The stick will last a long time as well.

Finally, I have found that by combining dry shaving/cream, dry shaving/stick, cream/stick, or all three, I actually cut my time down significantly, while increasing the closeness of the shave. Rather than constantly run my hand over my face while I am shaving to see if I have missed anything, I aim for getting 80% of everything in the first dry pass with Lectric Shave. This takes about a minute and a half. Then I switch to the combo shave stick / cream, and clean up what was missed with the Lectric Shave. All told, I am done in about 5 minutes.

As for cleaning the electric razor up afterwards, there are two options. The included cleaning stand and solution are obviously great. I used them at first, and found that when I wet shave, I have to run the razor upside down for a bit, to get the excess water out, before running the cleaning and drying cycle. Otherwise, the leftover water that is stuck in the razor can accumulate in the reservoir, and eventually leak into the cleaning station, causing the solution to dilute and flood the cleaning station. It takes all of 10 seconds to get the excess water out of the razor before starting the cleaning cycle. Or, you can just take it apart and let it dry.

A cheaper option is soap and water, followed by a lubricant. The Arc 5 has a neato ultrasonic cleaning mode where the razor vibrates at a different frequency to clean itself. Get the razor wet, add soap to the outside, and start the 20-second ultrasonic cleaning mode. Then, take the outer foil off, and rinse it with water. Then, switch the body of the shaver on briefly and rinse it with water as well. Finally, just put it on a towel to dry.

Once it is dry, I apply a 5-in-1 spray and then run it for a few seconds to ensure even application. Every couple of days I will apply an oil instead to really lubricate it. It sounds complicated but it really isn’t. It takes a total of a minute or two to do the entire process. If you are trying to save money this is a great option that honestly works just as well. After I run out of the cleaning solution packets, this is probably what I will do long term.

To the moderators: I debated between putting this in General Shaving Discussion versus Modern Shaving Systems. I eventually chose the latter, because this is related to my journey, rather than solely electric razors. If you think it should go into Modern Shaving Systems, please feel free to move it!

I remember reading your review the other day, gave you a nice comment on it. Infact, it was your review that reignited my interest in getting the Arc5, after being so tired of the poor performance from the Arc4. I understand the journey that you have had to go through, and I don't judge you one bit. I was actually hoping that you would have had a chance to discover my review as well. Now were Arc5 brothers, yay for us lol. Thanks for stopping on by to take time out of your day to read my review, I appreciate it!

I have zero interest in electric shavers but I read that review from start to finish and found it interesting, comprehensive, and well written. Good job 👍

I know that most folks are not into modern shaving systems, some folks consider them blasphemy lol. But were all different, and we each have different requirements in life. For example, some people can make cartridge razors work for them, I cannot without lots of pain. I like DE razors better, and I also like quality electric shavers too. I am glad that you appreciate my writing style. I appreciate just the fact that you took the time to read my review, I thank you very much!

Well done review @CzechCzar ! I'm almost convinced to open my wallet.

If you did open your wallet, I'd have to buy it from you, then ask you to autograph it. Your the famous Dan, that one FarmerTan, king of Arkoland, thats something to appreciate doggone! 😁

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Thank you Velocityboy! Its nice to know that other's have had the same experience as I have with the Arc5. Japan knows how to make some good stuff I tell ya! Thanks for checking out my review, I appreciate it!

Thanks you so much Dan! These are the type of reviews that I like to do, I like to help others to make smart purchasing decisions. I feel that details are important, so I try to include as much as I can, to go along with my experience. I appreciate you stopping on by to see how I am doing over here, I know you have been busy running the Arkoland kingdom.

I remember reading your review the other day, gave you a nice comment on it. Infact, it was your review that reignited my interest in getting the Arc5, after being so tired of the poor performance from the Arc4. I understand the journey that you have had to go through, and I don't judge you one bit. I was actually hoping that you would have had a chance to discover my review as well. Now were Arc5 brothers, yay for us lol. Thanks for stopping on by to take time out of your day to read my review, I appreciate it!

I know that most folks are not into modern shaving systems, some folks consider them blasphemy lol. But were all different, and we each have different requirements in life. For example, some people can make cartridge razors work for them, I cannot without lots of pain. I like DE razors better, and I also like quality electric shavers too. I am glad that you appreciate my writing style. I appreciate just the fact that you took the time to read my review, I thank you very much!

If you did open your wallet, I'd have to buy it from you, then ask you to autograph it. Your the famous Dan, that one FarmerTan, king of Arkoland, thats something to appreciate doggone! 😁
you are too kind, and the sentiment is reflected equally from me to you. 2023 certainly has been a journey for me. Very glad you are enjoying the Arc 5.

Well done review @CzechCzar ! I'm almost convinced to open my wallet.
The best parts, for me, are the ability to shave without skin irritation, every day, and get the shaves that are usually as good as safety razor shaves. You should check out shavercheck.com. That site is a wealth of information. And if you don't like it, chances are you will be able to return for a refund.

Modern Shaving Devices
proxy.php

I am primarily a DE shaver these days, but on occasions when I am not feeling well, pressed for time, or just not in the mood to DE shave, I like having an electric shaver. Also, sometimes I will miss a few whiskers short of a BBS when DE shaving, and so electric shavers are great for doing a quick once over, to correct such an oversight. I already own a Panasonic Arc4 electric shaver, that I bought during the pandemic. I wanted to get the Arc5, but it was priced out of the market for me, at the time, so I got the Arc4 instead. I used the Arc4 long enough to dull the blades, and while it may be a good shaver for some, ( Folks with soft beards perhaps ) but it doesn't work very well, on my course dense whiskers. Nearly 2-years later, I finally bought the Arc5!

proxy.php

The box comes packaged fairly well, the shaver comes in its fake leather case, and the power adapter has its own spot. Oddly enough, while they have a compartment for storing the acclaimed shaver oil and brush, they are not found in the LV65 packaging. Unless you buy the full LV95 kit, I just don't think you get those items, so better have some on hand, or you will have to buy those.

proxy.php

The case is pretty nice quality actually, solid zipper on it, fake leather feels good in the hand, fits the shaver well, along with a shaver brush you can put inside as well. The power adapter also seems like quality, space saving design so it doesn't take up your entire outlet, and comes with a good amount of cable. Unfortunately, while the shaver is indeed made in Japan, the power adapter is made in China, so just keep that in mind.

proxy.php

As you can see, the 2nd generation Arc5, has a real sleek design to it, and I think it looks better then 3rd generation models. Black and silver are this shavers contours, with a glossy surface, this shaver was made to impress. It also has a premium feel to it, with a durable plastic material, and a sort of rubberized grip for the bottom and sides. It comes with a travel lock, a feature not found on the Arc4, a must have for those who travel a lot, tossing this in their bag. You don't want your electric shaver to start buzzing in your carry on in the plane, it sets off the wrong message.

proxy.php

The Arc4 weighed in at 0.64 ounces, with a size of 6.2 inches, by 2.4 inches, by 1.8 inches. The Arc5 however, is a larger unit, and weighs in at 6.88 ounces, and is 6.8 inches, by 2.8 inches, by 2.1 inches. This is also a better shaver if you have large hands, easier to get a better grip hold on it, which I like. Panasonic has been using, linear drive motors, in their shavers for many years now. While the Arc4 used a 13,000 CPM motor, the Arc5 uses a 14,000 CPM motor, so it operates faster.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The head of the Arc5, has been redesigned, from what was seen in previous models. As technology improved in linear drive motors, it allowed them to reduce the size of the motor, allowing them to put it in the head itself. This is primarily what has allowed them to re-design the head, to allow for multi-directional flex movement. For those who prefer to not have a flexing head, you can lock it by using the switch in the back. The side burn trimmer control, is also integrated into the same switch as well.

proxy.php
proxy.php

The Arc5 uses a 5 section foil, with a cutter in the center. Unlike the Arc4, which has a complete foil cartridge assembly, the Arc5 uses a 2-piece foil design. Since foil replacements do not include the foil frame, make sure you save that piece! Additionally, the foil itself is upgradable, should you wish to use a 3rd generation Arc5 foil, all Arc5 foil designs are interchangeable. The blades have also changed. The Arc4 had wider blades, but were less long. Where as the Arc5 blades are more narrow, but longer. The Arc5 also has a larger mounting plate behind the blades, this should add to the durability of the shaver.

proxy.php

The Arc5 uses a 3.6V 1 watt hour lithium battery, recharge time 1-hour using the included RE7-59 charger. Wet/dry certification as listed, made in Japan. My shaver came with a 0% battery, I put the charger on it, and it was most certainly charged within 1-hour, can confirm. This is the ES-LV65 model, in other words, mine is the one without the cleaning station. If you really want the cleaning station, you'd be looking for the ES-LV95 kit, which will cost you more.

If you look closely at the shaver, you will see a plus and minus, which indicates positive and negative polarity. Please take note at the plus and minus on the charger cable, and orient it correctly, before you plug it into your shaver.

View attachment 1658196

Its really awesome that modern day electrics shavers, can be used wet or dry, even my Arc4 had that ability! But my Arc4 really struggles to cut my whiskers, I just don't think the motor has enough horse power or speed to get the job done, plus its smaller head probably doesn't help much either. Today I put my new Arc5 through its paces, by having it go up against 3-day whisker growth! I also decided to try shaving the most convenient method available, doing a dry shave. Oddly enough, when I turned my Arc5 on, despite being a higher CPM motor, it was quieter then my Arc4.

And as expected, tasking this shaver against 3-day whiskers, took a little longer then usual. Typically, you'd do a 1-day to 2-day shave with foil based shavers. But I will tell you what, this thing took the challenge like a champ, and mowed it all down. It actually felt like the shaver was sucking itself to my skin, and razing my whiskers up to be hacked off. Having said that however, where as my Arc4 felt like I was scraping my skin the entire time using it, I felt the Arc5 produced a much more comfortable shave, and didn't leave me all red afterwords.

We all talk about the importance of mapping out ones beard, when doing a DE shave. It is especially common for ones neck whiskers to grow in multiple directions, just to make your shaving life interesting. I discovered through experience, that the Arc5 is no different then a DE blade, when it comes to beard mapping. When I finished going over my neck, I discovered that there was whiskers still left, leaving me shy of a BBS. When I went XTG on my neck with the Arc5, it was then able to pick up the remaining whiskers, to bring me to a BBS.

I also discovered that, unlike a DE shave, where no pressure is required, the Arc5 works best, if you apply a little bit of pressure. I used both up/down patterns, as well as circular patterns when shaving. I found that the flex head was useful in the jaw line, where it helps to navigate around the jaw bone, as well as my chin. When doing the moostash, an area famous for difficulties with some DE razors to get under nose hairs, I thought the large Arc5 head was going to give me problems. In reality, it was no different in difficulty then an DE razor, that forces you to have to work it a little bit, to get them pesky under nose hairs to completion.

I will say, learning proper technique using an DE razor, has helped prepare me for the large Arc5 head. As I simply stretched the skin, and I was able to get the remaining few whiskers, all the way to a BBS. I also achieved in getting my cheeks, side burns, chin, and neck line to a BBS, as the shave was completed to my satisfaction, to a 100% BBS shave. This shave would have gone even faster still, if I were not shaving 3-day whiskers. This shave also, would have probably been even more comfortable still, if I did a gel based wet shave. But for the first shave out, I am pretty impressed!

Additionally, I was running the shaver on the first setting, which is intelligent sensor mode. When the shaver wasn't being pushed hard, it was running its rated speed at lower torque. When the shaver was getting pushed harder going through a dense section of whiskers, like those on my chin for example, I could hear the motor getting momentarily louder, as it began delivering more torque. This reminds me of how a governed small engine works, on a lawn mower. As a mechanic, I find this feature pretty awesome, and I really love it. I was able to complete a full 100% BBS shave, with having 80% battery life left after the shave!

Cleaning the shaver is simple, pop the foil off, clean out under the faucet tap, and do the same for the blades. For bonus cleaning points, tap the power button on the Arc5 3 times to enter hyperactive cleaning mode, sting like a bee, bobs your uncle, blades clean and your foil. Leave shaver and foil apart on a bathroom towel to dry. Once dry, re-attach foil, and apply a couple of Wahl clipper oil drops onto the 5 section foil, while the shaver is running, which also oils the blades. This way your shaver is ready for the next shave.

So far, I am going to have to give this shaver a 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars, as its the best electric shaver I have ever bought. And is the only electric shaver that can handle my beard. My Arc4 takes the place of backup electric shaver now, cause my Arc5 is the new king baby. !!!WOOHOO!!! :thumbup:
I couldn't agree more. I recently bought a 10,000 rpm Arc 4 and a 14,000 cpm Arc 5 with the linear motor, for twice the price. Is the Arc 5 worth twice as much? Yes it is, in my opinion.

Note that because the Panasonic charger is 5V you can buy a simple USB charging cable from eBay (£6) or Ali Express (£1.50), which is more convenient for travelling. These seem to charge just as quickly as the OEM charger. There are also hard-shell travel cases available.

The Arc 5 gives the closest electric shave I've ever had with the fewest passes. There is now an Arc 6 but the extra blade is apparently more of a gimmick than anything else and it doesn't cut any closer. It's also very overpriced. Another overpriced gimmick is the Panasonic cleaning station. Save your money; manual cleaning is extremely quick and easy.

For the closest possible shave I still turn to my selection of DE razors, but the Arc 5 is an excellent alternative when circumstances make a DE shave inconvenient. I find very light pressure ATG to be very effective.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I couldn't agree more. I recently bought a 10,000 rpm Arc 4 and a 14,000 cpm Arc 5 with the linear motor, for twice the price. Is the Arc 5 worth twice as much? Yes it is, in my opinion.

Note that because the Panasonic charger is 5V you can buy a simple USB charging cable from eBay (£6) or Ali Express (£1.50), which is more convenient for travelling. These seem to charge just as quickly as the OEM charger. There are also hard-shell travel cases available.

The Arc 5 gives the closest electric shave I've ever had with the fewest passes. There is now an Arc 6 but the extra blade is apparently more of a gimmick than anything else and it doesn't cut any closer. It's also very overpriced. Another overpriced gimmick is the Panasonic cleaning station. Save your money; manual cleaning is extremely quick and easy.

For the closest possible shave I still turn to my selection of DE razors, but the Arc 5 is an excellent alternative when circumstances make a DE shave inconvenient. I find very light pressure ATG to be very effective.
I have heard differing things about Arc 6 vs. Arc 5.

Some say that differences are so miniscule as to not matter. Other (admittedly click baitey) articles said it was the bees knees.

In any event, too rich for my blood.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
The best parts, for me, are the ability to shave without skin irritation, every day, and get the shaves that are usually as good as safety razor shaves. You should check out shavercheck.com. That site is a wealth of information. And if you don't like it, chances are you will be able to return for a refund.
This razor sounds like a nice gift for my son.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

you are too kind, and the sentiment is reflected equally from me to you. 2023 certainly has been a journey for me. Very glad you are enjoying the Arc 5.

The best parts, for me, are the ability to shave without skin irritation, every day, and get the shaves that are usually as good as safety razor shaves. You should check out shavercheck. That site is a wealth of information.

I appreciate that! I tell you what, the last 3-years have been quite the journey for most of us. I was just happy to stumble upon B&B when I did last year. Lots of good information on this site, and a lot of good people here too. Being able to shave without skin irritation is an excellent thing. I've been to that site, its what educated me in the new changes to the new Panasonic shavers.

Note that because the Panasonic charger is 5V you can buy a simple USB charging cable from eBay (£6) or Ali Express (£1.50), which is more convenient for travelling.

There is now an Arc 6 but the extra blade is apparently more of a gimmick than anything else and it doesn't cut any closer. It's also very overpriced. Another overpriced gimmick is the Panasonic cleaning station. Save your money; manual cleaning is extremely quick and easy. I find very light pressure ATG to be very effective.

Hello Happy Jack! While this fact might be considered a gimmick by some, I truly believe the extra motor speed in the Arc5, really does help it to do its job better. As motor technology improves, they can make them smaller now, and yet yield more power at the same time, the beauty of technological evolution that is. So I agree, the Arc5 is most certainly worth the money 100%!

I did not know that you could get a USB charger for this thing, clearly it would need the 2-pole specialized cable in order to attach it. For those who travel, that would indeed be decent. But thank goodness I don't have to travel these days, you wouldn't catch me departing my soul on a plane I can tell you that lol.

The extra blade on the Arc6 is a gimmick however, I just don't see how that could provide much improvement. What it does do however, is up the cost on blade/foil replacements. Have you looked them up recently? Arc6 replacements cost like 110 per set! And with the shaver costing over 300 dollars, I think we have entered the realm of diminishing returns. I think the Arc5 is the sweet spot shaver.

The Panasonic cleaning station is another gimmick. While it apparently works for people, it only works a few months until it breaks. And you typically have to use Panasonic's proprietary cleaning solution packets, and they only give you one of those with the kit you buy. So, the cleaning station brings diminishing returns to a whole new level.

ATG is quite effective, both for DE, and for electric. I like my shave close, where my skin feels like glass smooth running my fingers across it. I am all about that BBS.

I have heard differing things about Arc 6 vs. Arc 5.

Some say that differences are so miniscule as to not matter. Other (admittedly click baitey) articles said it was the bees knees.

In any event, too rich for my blood.

The Arc6 is not worth the extra cost. Depending on cost of living, 350 dollars may be the difference between paying a house bill, or your utilities being turned off. So one has to really look at themselves in the mirror and be honest with themselves. Do I really need to spend 350+ dollars on a shaver? Will a 160 dollar shaver do just as good? Only you can decide. But I personally feel that I made the right choice, as did you IMO.

I just recently found out that barber professional grade foil shavers, don't even cost anywhere remotely as much as the Arc6! So you really got to think about that. If most barbers can get their pro grade foil shavers, from whatever brand they choose, for 200 or less, then why would we spend more then 200 for a home grade model?

This razor sounds like a nice gift for my son.

I completely agree Dan, I think the Arc5 would make the perfect razor for your son, he will love it! You watch, he's gonna say....... "Oh my gosh, this is the best electric shaver I have ever used, thank you so much Dad!"

Hope you are doing well @FarmerTan :) Dan the man, a Farmer Tan, with a face too handsome for his shave den mirror. HEHE 😁

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I appreciate that! I tell you what, the last 3-years have been quite the journey for most of us. I was just happy to stumble upon B&B when I did last year. Lots of good information on this site, and a lot of good people here too. Being able to shave without skin irritation is an excellent thing. I've been to that site, its what educated me in the new changes to the new Panasonic shavers.

Agreed about the journey! My life has taken a curious turn over the past couple of years. Sticking close to God!

The Panasonic cleaning station is another gimmick. While it apparently works for people, it only works a few months until it breaks. And you typically have to use Panasonic's proprietary cleaning solution packets, and they only give you one of those with the kit you buy. So, the cleaning station brings diminishing returns to a whole new level.

I am not so sure about the blade being a gimmick. Ovidiu on Shavercheck thinks the Arc 6 has some marginal improvements.

He says:

So objectively, the Arc 6 shouldn’t be better than the Arc 5 when it comes strictly to how close it can cut the hair.

And after using it for almost two months, I can also confirm that the closeness is the same as in the case of the Arc 5, regardless of the generation.

But then, a bit later, he says:

That said, it’s really good, arguably the best out there right now.

So, I don't know.

The blade availability and the steep price tag make the Arc 6 a no-go for me.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. You don't need the cleaning station. It just adds an unnecessary step to the whole process. TL, DR is that I frequently wet shave with the Arc 5 because it's closer. To prevent the residual water from flooding the cleaning station eventually, I have to take apart the razor to let it dry, then put it in the cleaning station in the evening. It is easier, cheaper, and quicker just to clean with liquid soap and the ultrasonic cleaning mode, let it dry, and then hit it with the 5-in-one spray.
If you have kids, though, they will be fascinated with the cleaning cycle. :c9:

I have zero interest in electric shavers but I read that review from start to finish and found it interesting, comprehensive, and well written. Good job 👍

I too have zero interest in a electric, use one long ago, it gave me ingrown hairs.

Wonder how long this New Electric will go before parts get dull?

Then what is cost of replacing blades, and last how available are parts?

Reactions: Kix

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I too have zero interest in a electric, use one long ago, it gave me ingrown hairs.

That was another factor I considered.

Replacement blades and foils are under $100. When you consider that they only have to be replaced every 1-2 years, this is cheap.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

We each have our own interests. And the new electric shavers of today, are far better then the ones of yesterday. I'd even go as far as to say that modern day Panasonic foil shavers, are better then overpriced Norelco rotary shavers.

As @CzechCzar mentioned, lifespan of these blades is 1 to 2 years.

I can buy the standard version of the Arc5
blades and foil set for 47 dollars right now.

1684955033127.png

The 3rd generation Arc5 heads cost more of course, the ones with the gold rollers on them, or the gold central cutter. But even those cost under 100, and you don't even really have to buy those. One can still be very content with the standard blades and foil set if they wish, to keep the costs down.

Modern Shaving Devices
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

View attachment 1658196

Terrific review. If you shave dry and just brush out the cuttings dispensing with water, then you won’t have to add lubricant. Your shaver will be just as clean and it will save you a little pocket change.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Terrific review. If you shave dry and just brush out the cuttings dispensing with water, then you won’t have to add lubricant. Your shaver will be just as clean and it will save you a little pocket change.

Thank you very much! :)

Thats actually what I do, I brush out the clippings, and I also hit the shaver foil and blades with a blast of air, from my air-blower machine used to clean computer's and keyboards. But even if I don't get the shaver wet, its a good idea to lubricate the blades anyways, it extends their life, helping to keep them sharp. I have a bottle of Wahl clipper oil that I use on my Wahl clippers, its nothing to put a couple drops on the blades. A full size bottle of Wahl clipper oil is only like 4 bucks so yeah.

Appreciate the comment! 😎

Agreed about the journey! My life has taken a curious turn over the past couple of years. Sticking close to God!

I am not so sure about the blade being a gimmick. Ovidiu on Shavercheck thinks the Arc 6 has some marginal improvements.

He says:

But then, a bit later, he says:

So, I don't know.

The blade availability and the steep price tag make the Arc 6 a no-go for me.

This I agree with wholeheartedly. You don't need the cleaning station. It just adds an unnecessary step to the whole process. TL, DR is that I frequently wet shave with the Arc 5 because it's closer. To prevent the residual water from flooding the cleaning station eventually, I have to take apart the razor to let it dry, then put it in the cleaning station in the evening. It is easier, cheaper, and quicker just to clean with liquid soap and the ultrasonic cleaning mode, let it dry, and then hit it with the 5-in-one spray.
If you have kids, though, they will be fascinated with the cleaning cycle.
I don't find Ovidiu's comments contradictory at all. The Arc 6 doesn't shave any closer than the Arc 5 but it is kinder to sensitive skin. That's why he says the Arc 6 is arguably the best. I don't get any irritation from my Arc 5 so there's no way I'd pay the massive premium for the Arc 6.

Top Bottom