What's new

B&B opinions on Yaqi DE razors and components...

Let me now ask this about the Bohemia...

I'm thinking along the lines of having a sort of small toy box with 1 M5 handle and a bunch of various heads from various manufactures that use an M5 stud. E.g., a Maggard handle with a Yaqi Flipside.

However, maybe a better place to start is a complete Bohemia, then use *that* handle for other heads. After reading some comments on the Bohemia, I am intrigued by it.

Does this (use Bohemia handle for toy box) sound do-able to you, kind B&Bers?

Bear in mind I expect no guarantees; that's on me. I own my own decision. But you can save me some time by just giving me your opinions/observations on my idea. That's the *most* I hope for.

Thanks in advance.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Let me now ask this about the Bohemia...

OK, Bohemia Rhapsody In Blue, one of the finest pieces of music you'll get to hear in your life!

1689881899150.png

I tried to order a Mercury head but they were "out." They'll do this when they are switching over to putting something on sale. Rest assured they aren't out of much, not China. They cancelled the order saying somethign was the matter with my card. IIRC I couldn't figure out how to put the expiration date of the card in using their scrolling gizmo. So, I ordered a Mellon. Then they put my card through on the Mercury, and they weren't supposed to do that. THEY said the order was cancelled. I did wind up getting both of them. Also they didn't contact me to give reviews, probably because they knew I'd be ticked and say what had happened and they didn't want their employees to read the review.

So I'd say just be careful with them. Oh wait I ordered something a year ago and forgot about it and they never sent it and kept the $15 and I didn't realize it until after 90 days had passed, to late to complain to Discover.

Just be careful. my policy now is to only order one thing at a time and always low dollar items.

Also, I tried the Mercury head with a light weight plastic handle once and cut myself up. It's very heavy and you'll need a heavy handle to balance it. Can't say I'm impressed. I'll try it again sometime. The Mellon works pretty good and will lay the foam back down if you take a stroke and back up with it.

Quality is pretty good on both of them fit and finish speaking.

I haven't tried any of the more expensive Yaqi offerings in stainless, but I bought one of their DOC heads in zamak and liked it enough that I bought another as a back-up (and because I have ridiculous RAD).

So far, I purchased a (3) SS heads Yaqi Tile, Z0 SS, and Aggravate Slant. All three are great and I have had no issues. The Tile is superior to the Henson, more efficient, smoother, better weight to let the razor do the work. The Z0 is a R41 SS clone. The Slant is not bad but not my FOCS. I also have 3 bowl I purchased for $3 each, they go for $16 to $30 in the US.

However, maybe a better place to start is a complete Bohemia, then use *that* handle for other heads. After reading some comments on the Bohemia, I am intrigued by it.
If you like the razor then it might be a good choice. You could get one of the Magards or even RazorRocks for less. All M5 or 10/32 threads should fit the Bohemia handle. Here's the Bohemia swapped with an Envoy.

20230720_215712.jpg

Yaqi Mellon V1 on a Baili Handle, Bic CP Blade- Not a bad shave, but it took a day or two to get the correct angle. However, it is not the most comfortable shave. I have seen people comment on the V2 having sharp corners, so it may be that. I will try again with a Wizamet Blade and see if it is a blade or design issue.

I got a Yaqi Mellon last month which is my first from this brand. It's a double open comb razor based on the Grand Shave King which had been copied by the Phoenix DOC. I haven't had any issues with blade alignment though the blade is kind of tight on the posts. Also like the Phoenix you can loosen the handle 1/4 of a turn and the blade still holds in place.

PXL_20230726_205459262(2).jpgPXL_20230725_201846788.jpg

Doing this causes a little blade chatter and forces me to be more careful, but can result in a more efficient shave. I got the Zamac version and the steel handle has caused some chrome to wear off. This hasn't happened with any of my other 3 piece razors. So a plastic washer would be a good investment if you buy one.

20230804_213557.jpg

Tried Wizamet and various other "sharp" blades in a Melon. All were worse than a Bic CP in terms of smoothness and sharpness. I think the head is just prone to being a bit uncomfortable as it has so many teeth and corners.

I have a Yaqi Final cut. It feels weird. I shaved with it several times, it doesn't feel comfortable at all, so now it's sitting in my drawer. Honestly, invest 20-30 bucks into a Gillette Tech or a Superspeed on Ebay and forget about Yaqi.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I purchased the Yaqi Mellon stainless steel and was pleasantly surprised by how good it shaves. It's an easy to use razor that can give a close shave. I find myself reaching for it when my skin needs a little bit of a break from some of my more aggressive razors. Well worth the cost of purchase in my opinion. It has a permanent home in my stable...which includes Wolfman, Blackland, RazoRock and Muhle razors. Very happy with it.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have to second @JCarr and second his description. I usually go for more aggressive razors than the Yaqi Mellon (stainless steel version), but it is very efficient. Still, I shaved yesterday evening, I feel a bit more stubble making its way through my skin than with some more aggressive razors at this point in time. I think I can improve my handling of it some more, though. The angle is neutral to slightly shallow, while I am used and prefer steep angles in general.

Just let me say, that I like it despite not sounding like my usual cup of tea is quite an endorsement of the Yaqi Mellon. I can thoroughly recommend it, but beware, if one wants to combine the top cap with other razors, the zamac Mellon uses rounded posts, while the SS Mellon uses slits. So they don't combine with the same type of baseplates and razors.

WRT the Mellon, what do you suppose the top cap comb do that aids in shaving?

I spent a fair amount of time analyzing what actually happens with an OC razor--even started a thread about it, and briefly, it amounts to this: the edge that touches one's face is a combination of safety bars and straight razors. I.e., if the OC is composed of 2mm wide teeth and 2mm wide gaps between the teeth, when you pass the razor over your face you are passing a 2mm safety bar that has a defined blade gap alternating with a 2mm devette that has no place to measure a gap.

If this is accurate, and I think it is, what does the top cap comb on a Mellon actually do when you pass it over your jowls? To me, it seems like it *trails* the actual point of contact, doing nothing except to rearrange the lather, if any, afterward.

But I could have this all mixed up... :^)

I have to second @JCarr and second his description. I usually go for more aggressive razors than the Yaqi Mellon (stainless steel version), but it is very efficient. Still, I shaved yesterday evening, I feel a bit more stubble making its way through my skin than with some more aggressive razors at this point in time. I think I can improve my handling of it some more, though. The angle is neutral to slightly shallow, while I am used and prefer steep angles in general.

Just let me say, that I like it despite not sounding like my usual cup of tea is quite an endorsement of the Yaqi Mellon. I can thoroughly recommend it, but beware, if one wants to combine the top cap with other razors, the zamac Mellon uses rounded posts, while the SS Mellon uses slits. So they don't combine with the same type of baseplates and razors.
"... the zamac Mellon uses rounded posts, while the SS Mellon uses slits."

This is kinda interesting...

It *implies* a significant difference in the potentialities of the two materials: Zamack(n) and stainless steel.

It might mean that the Zamac is not durable enough to last when cast as slits that are in contact with a harder material, as I suppose stainless steel to be. Maybe the slits would gradually be deformed by the stainless steel ridges that fit into the slits.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
It might mean that the Zamac is not durable enough to last when cast as slits that are in contact with a harder material, as I suppose stainless steel to be. Maybe the slits would gradually be deformed by the stainless steel ridges that fit into the slits.
No, it is more related to CNC machining. The slit shape is just way easier and faster to CNC than a thick rounded post and related holes. Another example, the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant would be also a lot of effort to CNC, while casting it isn't that time consuming and less effort.

No, it is more related to CNC machining. The slit shape is just way easier and faster to CNC than a thick rounded post and related holes. Another example, the Yaqi Top Aggressive Slant would be also a lot of effort to CNC, while casting it isn't that time consuming and less effort.

Thanks!

Great, informative reply!

I have bought a few Yaqi brushes and they are really nice.

razor wise:

Yaqi Tile - Bought it with a stainless handle. Very nice.
Yaqi Sentinel 1.35 gap. Bought it with a Chippendale handle. Again, a very nice shave.
yaqi final cut - Cheap adjustable. Shaves ok for the price.

Top Bottom