What's new

Plisson - Opinions Please

The import/export license is not that much, I think I paid the last time something like $100. But the problem is that we would have to pay also the same amount if we would export (i.e. sell ) a badger brush outside the USA. But, I am not willing to pick this cost up, and so far not one of the potential customers were willing to pay it either. So, my decision not to sell badgers outside the USA. FEDEX is the only shipper that collects the license fees and taxes (when I import badger knots) for the government.
I would assume a private person can sell outside the US without any issues, and no need for a license.
Yes, I mixed up the fine or penalty. I am just a bit bitter because it makes it cost prohibitive for me being in Canada. I can only use my brother in-law as a relay so many times a year, lol.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Yes, I mixed up the fine or penalty. I am just a bit bitter because it makes it cost prohibitive for me being in Canada. I can only use my brother in-law as a relay so many times a year, lol.
At least you "have" an US address, others not. Wish there would be more BIL or friends....as relay stations

Brief Update:

Received an email yesterday from Plisson saying I can return the brush and that I am responsible for return shipping. Been back and forth with PayPal as well but to no avail. So its time to move on. I will keep the brush and be sure to post pictures after a few laps around the track.

A positive out of this has been everyone’s support, comments, etc. Really a great community! Thanks all!

Brief Update:

Received an email yesterday from Plisson saying I can return the brush and that I am responsible for return shipping. Been back and forth with PayPal as well but to no avail. So its time to move on. I will keep the brush and be sure to post pictures after a few laps around the track.

A positive out of this has been everyone’s support, comments, etc. Really a great community! Thanks all!
now this is evil, what would they do with the returned product? yeah, they'd toss it (I hope, at least)
"please toss it and we have already mailed you a perfect one, sir" is what they should have written.

P.s.: the customer should not pay for damaged goods returns, or why would they take it back otherwise? their logic is flawed.

P.s.: the customer should not pay for damaged goods returns, or why would they take it back otherwise? their logic is flawed.
Absolutely without a doubt the customer should never have to pay return freight for a damaged warranty return!! I won't even order from most vendors because they specify the customer pays return freight... That is the 1st red flag for bad customer service!!

Absolutely without a doubt the customer should never have to pay return freight for a damaged warranty return!! I won't even order from most vendors because they specify the customer pays return freight... That is the 1st red flag for bad customer service!!
or if they are afraid that someone "benefits" from a usable product after they send a new one, they could demand a photo of it being destroyed, i.e. cut across the knot with scissors. I think I had to do something like this with a memory card, cut it in half and provide proof.

now this is evil, what would they do with the returned product? yeah, they'd toss it (I hope, at least)
"please toss it and we have already mailed you a perfect one, sir" is what they should have written.

But it is not damaged. The brush is entirely functional too. The issue is cosmetic. In these circumstances it is a matter of opinion whether the brush has a defect or not, and they do not have to replace it. But it is always informative to see how each seller handles cases like this. In this case, clearly Plisson has asserted the brush is not defective - so this means they consider it in line with the quality you can expect if you buy a brush from them.

Given this, I do not think Plisson is offering remotely the level of manufacturing quality I would expect at their prices. So know what you might get if you buy a Plisson and cannot select the brush in person. Disappointing.

I’ve avoided saying this until now because it’s potentially harmful to speculate about these things, but I’ve seen other companies lower their quality standards substantially and then refuse to arrange returns or replacements - apparently for financial reasons. If a business does this it can be a sign that the end is near, and they never trade out of the situation or recover by making a worse product. I think of Thäter when they sold defective boar brushes and then refused to address the issues when customers’ knots fell apart. This was a poor sign and a few years on there is no Thäter any more. I’m not saying this is happening at Plisson - I don’t know, and maybe their quality assurance was always this sloppy - but it makes me wonder, and that’s not great.

Given this, I do not think Plisson is offering remotely the level of manufacturing quality I would expect at their prices. So know what you might get if you buy a Plisson and cannot select the brush in person. Disappointing.
This. Also, at this price point, it is a defect imo.
We'll travel to France this summer, I entertained the idea of acquiring a Plisson if I manage to find one. Not anymore...

The funny things is, the "hated" oversees sellers (of any product) give you a replacement or refund after the first complaint. Usually even without proof, at least this is my limited experience, as I rarely buy stuff from there.

I once bought a basic Plisson synthetic brush. It wasn't a solid resin handle but a moulded one. It had two clear molding lines on the side of the handle. This wasn't so much the problem.

The problem was that Plisson put the little Plisson logo sticker over one of the mould lines (!). They didn't even bother to center it on the handle away from the mould lines. This brush was obviously returned. Unacceptable for the price I paid. Luckily it wasn't bought through Plisson so I got my money back.

I have to say that my experiences with so-called 'prestige brands' such as Plisson and the brush maker from the Isle of Man, have not been good; stickers over mould lines, lopsided knots, glue on the base of the knots... I can fully understand OP's frustration with Plisson.

For handmade European brushes, I stick to Mühle and Shavemac. For cheap machine made brushes Omega is great.

The few HMW horn brushes I've bought direct from them I asked for photos of the brushes before they were shipped out and they complied. But this was many years ago. They're usually pretty accommodating and Mr. Joris Viart usually responds to emails personally. Having said that, the value or price of the purchased item from any vendor shouldn't ever be proportional to the after sales service provided.

Hello all,

Circling back to show a Before and After of the brush. The “Before” photo is prior to use and the same photo that was in my original post, just renamed it for this post. The “After” photo is after 3 shaves. No change to my eyes and TBH, I wasn’t really expecting one.

Setting aside Plisson’s complete disregard for customer concerns and customer service, the brush does perform as expected. I will be keeping the knot as is and enjoy the brush for many shaves to come.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this thread!

Attachments

• Front BEFORE 1-17-24.jpg
    Front BEFORE 1-17-24.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 21
  • Front AFTER 3-15-24.jpg
    Front AFTER 3-15-24.jpg
    864.9 KB · Views: 21

Rudy Vey

Hello all,

Circling back to show a Before and After of the brush. The “Before” photo is prior to use and the same photo that was in my original post, just renamed it for this post. The “After” photo is after 3 shaves. No change to my eyes and TBH, I wasn’t really expecting one.

Setting aside Plisson’s complete disregard for customer concerns and customer service, the brush does perform as expected. I will be keeping the knot as is and enjoy the brush for many shaves to come.

Thanks again to everyone who chimed in on this thread!
Like I had expected, and I would be really upset, too, that they did not respond in a way a company with a great old name and reputation should have. Sorry for this negative experience you have made there. Eventually these things will catch up with them.

Well I’ve owned dozens of different brushes over the years… pretty sure I’ll never add a plisson. With Simpson, Shavemac and the other known makers we have here active on the site, why spend the money for some French gold ribbon with fussy designs that were cool 100 years ago!

ETA: they (plisson) also look “floppy”

Rudy Vey

Well I’ve owned dozens of different brushes over the years… pretty sure I’ll never add a plisson. With Simpson, Shavemac and the other known makers we have here active on the site, why spend the money for some French gold ribbon with fussy designs that were cool 100 years ago!

ETA: they (plisson) also look “floppy”
Mine does not only look floppy....it is very much so.

It certainly doesn't look straight. For the cost of these Plisson brushes i would want an exchange or a refund!
Shame to see this from Plisson!

Top Bottom