What's new

Plisson - Opinions Please

Well, best of luck with your Paypal chargeback. Maybe don’t use the brush while this is in progress, in case you can return it. But it is defective and I hope Paypal will resolve it.

If you still have the brush when this is sorted out I strongly recommend that you use it for a while before you consider re-knotting. There is nothing else similar to a Plisson HMW and if it’s what you like (and it’s not for everyone) a different knot will not feel the same.
Thanks! And appreciate your thoughts on re-knotting. I don't plan on using the brush while this all plays out. If, after the dust settles, and I wind up with the brush - will of course use it. And if it turns out I can live with it, then great. If not, then will evaluate options at the point.

Thanks for that!

I too am a Simpsons fan as well as a fan of many other manufacturers/artisans... variety being the spice of life and all that.

Still navigating the PayPal process. And like you and others have offered, it may turn out that I keep the brush, use it and can live with it. We'll keep everyone posted.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding

FWIW, if it's any consolation Simpsons shows this on the order page. I'm a huge Plisson and Simpsons fan and as suggested by others after using the brush a few times you might not even mind it. Hope it works out to your satisfaction either way :)
I give Simpson credit for not attempting to conceal their poor quality control. Apparently such variances are to be expected with brushes which they claim are hand tied on the Isle of Man. For some that is a part of their charm, but not for me, not any more. I love my Simpson brushes but will not buy another without seeing it in person, even then I would not buy from their specific range which I do not believe to be tied in house.

I give Simpson credit for not attempting to conceal their poor quality control. Apparently such variances are to be expected with brushes which they claim are hand tied on the Isle of Man. For some that is a part of their charm, but not for me, not any more. I love my Simpson brushes but will not buy another without seeing it in person, even then I would not buy from their specific range which I do not believe to be tied in house.
Exactly! I have never had any issue whatsoever with a Simpson brush although I have read some threads about issues. At least as a prospective buyer you can make an informed decision thinking that is brush you will receive/or could receive.

FWIW, if it's any consolation Simpsons shows this on the order page. I'm a huge Plisson and Simpsons fan and as suggested by others after using the brush a few times you might not even mind it. Hope it works out to your satisfaction either way :)
Need to screen shot & upload so we don’t lose context when it’s removed. :D

I've had a lopsided Simpson that looked similar to the Plisson of OP. Another one had glue traces on the bristles near the base.

For the prices Plisson and Simpson charge, it's just very disappointing. And I don't take the 'handmade and part of the charm' argument either.

Shavemac and Mühle are handmade too and they make consistently good brushes. 'Made in Germany' is still something I value. For me it's either that or the value of machine made cheaper brushes like a nice Omega or something from Asia.

No more 'prestige brand' for me if they can't do any better than what OP described and I experienced myself.

It's fun to go deep into the rabbit hole which many of us do or have done. I still have and love all my brushes but quite honestly my $10 Proraso/Omega boar is just a fantastic fuss and hassle free tool that's more than capable specially with italian soft soaps and I don't have to baby it or worry about dropping it or it shedding.

It's fun to go deep into the rabbit hole which many of us do or have done. I still have and love all my brushes but quite honestly my $10 Proraso/Omega boar is just a fantastic fuss and hassle free tool that's more than capable specially with italian soft soaps and I don't have to baby it or worry about dropping it or it shedding.
Nothing wrong with a nice and cheap Omega! 👍

Aren’t most luxury brush brands going out of business? Moving forward we will be left with cheap stuff, very expensive stuff like Plisson (I expect they will more than double in price over the next five years), and artisan stuff which will sit somewhere between those two but not have much brand longevity. Pretty much every industry is being forced to either go upscale or restructure with cheap manufacturing and play the volume game.

I purchased this brush directly from Plisson. To my eyes, the knot appears to be set at an angle. Have never encountered or seen a knot like this, maybe I’ve just been lucky. Functionally, I’m sure the brush is fine. It is just the odd look that I find distracting. Does this knot appear normal to you and within range of handmade variation?
It’s natural fibers it’s fine.

My number 1 brush. 5 euros.

"The Chubby shaving brush is globally acknowledged as the finest shaving brush ever produced."

Found this in thier description and found it odd being that Declaration Grooming, Varlet, Long, Paladin, Brad Sears, Mozingo, and Black Eagle to name a few are more valued and sought after makers...:rolleyes:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
"The Chubby shaving brush is globally acknowledged as the finest shaving brush ever produced."

Found this in thier description and found it odd being that Declaration Grooming, Varlet, Long, Paladin, Brad Sears, Mozingo, and Black Eagle to name a few are more valued and sought after makers...:rolleyes:
I take your point but the brands you mention, whilst they may be currently desirable to some, their longevity remains to be seen. I also wonder how desirable they would be if they were as easy to purchase as Simpson, and produced in the same volume. They also only offer very large knots which rules them out for many, including myself. Some of the vintage ivory Simpson brushes are every bit as desirable, and highly priced, as anything made today.

I would guess that the Simpson Chubby is the most famous shaving brush ever made, even among non hobby shavers. For that reason I think their marketing claim is fair, even if it is debatable; the equivalent razor is probably the 'Fatboy'. I have brushes I favour over my Chubbies, and my Fatboy did not please me at all and was sold on 🤣

In fairness, US Artisans cannot export badger brushes globally unless they have the $90k export license.

Edited to add: export badger brushes

I read your discussion with interest. I don't have expensive brushes from famous global brands. I use Omega boars, bought for ridiculous money. And there were no problems with these brushes. Although it has not been hand-made since 1808. I saw a Plisson brush on the website at a price of 460 €, which at the exchange rate is 45,702 Russian rubles. Many residents in my city need to work for 2 months for this money.

In a couple of years from now, I think only companies such as Omega can survive in Europe. They offer a mostly mass produced product of good quality at a fair price and also have product diversity with making tools for the art world.

I think the artisan makers that ask really high prices will be around for those wishing to spend lots of money.

Plisson, Simpson etc. I don't think they'll survive.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks

Yeah right, guess this is from their own site....There are many brushes much better than theirs.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
In fairness, US Artisans cannot export badger brushes globally unless they have the $90k export license.

Edited to add: export badger brushes
The import/export license is not that much, I think I paid the last time something like $100. But the problem is that we would have to pay also the same amount if we would export (i.e. sell ) a badger brush outside the USA. But, I am not willing to pick this cost up, and so far not one of the potential customers were willing to pay it either. So, my decision not to sell badgers outside the USA. FEDEX is the only shipper that collects the license fees and taxes (when I import badger knots) for the government.
I would assume a private person can sell outside the US without any issues, and no need for a license.

Top Bottom