What's new

Plisson - Opinions Please

I was really taken aback by all of this but thought maybe I’m just too picky.

No.

That would bug the hell out of me every time I looked at it. I'm not very anal about my stuff once I get it (no washers on my razors, don't fret about how I dry my brushes, never shampooed or "cleaned" a brush, never remove a blade from a razor between shaves, etc) but expect my things to arrive perfect when purchased new...

...especially from a company celebrating "215 years of history" on their site.

Also, interesting that I don't see a single photo (out of 129 products offered) of a brush with a tilted knot on their website. If your brush was an expected deviation, certainly at least one of the pics on their site would exhibit a similar "normal" condition.

It obviously is not normal or acceptable.

I have always dreamed of a Plisson high mountain white badger in a natural horn handle in size 16. I also really liked the brushes from the JORIS series. But I postponed the purchase, then I waited for my anniversary, then I looked for another reason. I am very sorry that you have such a sad story with Plisson. This is not an office located in a dirty basement in Shanghai. This is a French manufactory with a history of 1808. Very strange behavior of the company. Now I will think 1000 times before I start thinking about Plisson. I don't want to play the lottery. Too expensive lottery, imho. Thank you very much for sharing your experience! I sympathize! The brush really winks ironically. If everything you said is true, shame on Plisson! The shame is not that the node sits crookedly, because the one who does nothing is not wrong, but for the attitude towards the client. They forgot the holy rule!
P.S. They must have overeaten the foie gras...
Thanks! This seemed like such an easy fix for Plisson. I have a high mountain badger in size 12. Purchased several years ago from a 3rd party vendor. Fantastic brush and is perfect in my eyes.

I am wondering the same, but then it is also hard to judge a product based on the pictures. I have received a Muhle brush which was looking similar and after one use it was all good so then I think it was just pressed more on one side inside the packaging.

Did you use it couple of times? Is the knot still leaning towards one side?
I am wondering the same, but then it is also hard to judge a product based on the pictures. I have received a Muhle brush which was looking similar and after one use it was all good so then I think it was just pressed more on one side inside the packaging.

Did you use it couple of times? Is the knot still leaning towards one side?
When I first removed the brush from its box, the knot appeared as the pictures show. I soaked the brush for a few minutes, only water, hoping that the issue would resolve itself. It did not. Have not used the brush yet.

Interestingly, if I rotate the brush 360 degrees, so the dark middle band stays parallel to a flat surface, the knot appears more or less normal and acceptable to me. This led to my initial conclusion that is was an issue with how the knot was set. Be it an issue with the knot itself or how the knot was set, seems Plisson refuses to acknowledge any issue whatsoever.

No.

That would bug the hell out of me every time I looked at it. I'm not very anal about my stuff once I get it (no washers on my razors, don't fret about how I dry my brushes, never shampooed or "cleaned" a brush, never remove a blade from a razor between shaves, etc) but expect my things to arrive perfect when purchased new...

...especially from a company celebrating "215 years of history" on their site.
Right! And mistakes happen. It's not the mistake that lingers, but the response or lack of one that does.

Have not used the brush yet.
Will you use the brush in the future? If so, will you please post an update on how the knot will look like? I am really curious and I can imagine others would like to find out as well. Of course, please don't feel pressured to use it if you don't want to or if you still hope to get a refund.

Thank you in advance!

Also, interesting that I don't see a single photo (out of 129 products offered) of a brush with a tilted knot on their website. If your brush was an expected deviation, certainly at least one of the pics on their site would exhibit a similar "normal" condition.

It obviously is not normal or acceptable.
Exactly. If the brush I received was pictured on the website, warts and all, and I went ahead and purchased it then that's on me. Don't think Plisson has a "B-stock" section. If properly and fully described/advertised then no issue.

Will you use the brush in the future? If so, will you please post an update on how the knot will look like? I am really curious and I can imagine others would like to find out as well. Of course, please don't feel pressured to use it if you don't want to or if you still hope to get a refund.

Thank you in advance!
It may come to that, but still hoping for a return/refund. If I do end up using it I will be sure post an update. If after using it and the knot stays the same, will likely have it re-knotted.

I am disappointed in Plisson. This is not the way that a company operates if they are planning to be in business for another 215 years. I’ve been a supporter of their brushes but I can’t wholeheartedly recommend them to fellow forum members if they won’t resolve a simple QC issue like this. There will always be a caveat now, and these are expensive brushes.

My attitude is that if a company says that what you perceive as a defect is in fact acceptable and normal variation, then it must be the standard of work that they are happy with, and we should evaluate the company by this standard.

I hate it when we are forced into a debate about what is a defect and what isn’t. This knot is very obviously not straight and we can all see this is not normal for any brush at even the cheapest price level. There are not many places where you can walk in and buy a Plisson off the shelf, and select your exact brush to avoid such an issue.

I’m sure your brush will still be lovely to use, but I still feel you should persevere with them and return the brush if you can. Can you tell them you are not satisfied with it and you wish to reject it and return it to them for a refund or exchange? Take away any sense from them that this is a matter for debate.

It may come to that, but still hoping for a return/refund. If I do end up using it I will be sure post an update. If after using it and the knot stays the same, will likely have it re-knotted.
I think the entire value of a Plisson HMW brush is in the hair. I don’t see the point of putting a different knot into the handle - there’s nothing magic about the handle. Plisson do supply replacement knots but you shouldn’t buy one just to do the replacement that Plisson could and should do themselves.

I am disappointed in Plisson. This is not the way that a company operates if they are planning to be in business for another 215 years. I’ve been a supporter of their brushes but I can’t wholeheartedly recommend them to fellow forum members if they won’t resolve a simple QC issue like this. There will always be a caveat now, and these are expensive brushes.

My attitude is that if a company says that what you perceive as a defect is in fact acceptable and normal variation, then it must be the standard of work that they are happy with, and we should evaluate the company by this standard.

I hate it when we are forced into a debate about what is a defect and what isn’t. This knot is very obviously not straight and we can all see this is not normal for any brush at even the cheapest price level. There are not many places where you can walk in and buy a Plisson off the shelf, and select your exact brush to avoid such an issue.

I’m sure your brush will still be lovely to use, but I still feel you should persevere with them and return the brush if you can. Can you tell them you are not satisfied with it and you wish to reject it and return it to them for a refund or exchange? Take away any sense from them that this is a matter for debate.
Wholeheartedly agree with everything you said.

I was very clear with Plisson in my initial email of my disappointment with the brush and why. They are a shaving brush company and I, we, are customers. We all know the accepted/expected standards of quality for products. Thing is Plisson's current strategy is to ignore, so absent dialogue with Plisson, I'm left to preserver thru PayPal. Truly baffling.

On the plus side, more folks are now aware and can use this to inform buying decisions.

I think the entire value of a Plisson HMW brush is in the hair. I don’t see the point of putting a different knot into the handle - there’s nothing magic about the handle. Plisson do supply replacement knots but you shouldn’t buy one just to do the replacement that Plisson could and should do themselves.
Yep, it is the hair. Just with the OCD/anal retentiveness of this hobby, it will drive me nuts.

Yep, it is the hair. Just with the OCD/anal retentiveness of this hobby, it will drive me nuts.
Well, best of luck with your Paypal chargeback. Maybe don’t use the brush while this is in progress, in case you can return it. But it is defective and I hope Paypal will resolve it.

If you still have the brush when this is sorted out I strongly recommend that you use it for a while before you consider re-knotting. There is nothing else similar to a Plisson HMW and if it’s what you like (and it’s not for everyone) a different knot will not feel the same.

This is not an office located in a dirty basement in Shanghai. This is a French manufactory with a history of 1808.
On a wet shaving forum, which is probably the most gentlemanly hobby, I still got to see how arrogant and double standard a person can be.
A French company messed up: "oh, Very strange behavior of the company".
No one mentioned Chinese brushes:" office located in a dirty basement in Shanghai".
I mean come on, the street in Shanghai is 100 times cleaner than the street in pairs. At least I don't see cigarette heads all over the street and the subway station doesn't smell like pee.

Back to the brush, just to compare the synthetics I have. I have expensive ones like EVO, STF, Wald, also cheap chinese ones like YAQI and DScosmetic, as well as expensive chinese ones like OUMO. Is it true chinese brushes have low quality? I don't think so. I have posted before that I received a similar improbably glued brush from Muehle. But to be honest I have never had such an issue with the Chinese ones.

On a wet shaving forum, which is probably the most gentlemanly hobby, I still got to see how arrogant and double standard a person can be.
A French company messed up: "oh, Very strange behavior of the company".
No one mentioned Chinese brushes:" office located in a dirty basement in Shanghai".
I mean come on, the street in Shanghai is 100 times cleaner than the street in pairs. At least I don't see cigarette heads all over the street and the subway station doesn't smell like pee.

Back to the brush, just to compare the synthetics I have. I have expensive ones like EVO, STF, Wald, also cheap chinese ones like YAQI and DScosmetic, as well as expensive chinese ones like OUMO. Is it true chinese brushes have low quality? I don't think so. I have posted before that I received a similar improbably glued brush from Muehle. But to be honest I have never had such an issue with the Chinese ones.
I can't even guess which of my phrases you've picked up you see a double standard in, but if you keep pulling out every word I say and breaking it down into atoms, you can safely assume that I'm attached to the Cuban Revolution of '53, even though I was born 30 years later. Besides, if you decide to replace your Wald with high-quality Chinese synthetics from YAQI, feel free to contact me, especially for this occasion, I will buy a "premium" black pile from YAQI, although I do not use second-hand things.

Last edited:
I can't even guess which of my phrases you've picked up you see a double standard in, but if you keep pulling out every word I say and breaking it down into atoms, you can safely assume that I'm attached to the Cuban Revolution of '53, even though I was born 30 years later. Besides, if you decide to replace your Wald with high-quality Chinese synthetics from YAQI, feel free to contact me, especially for this occasion, I will buy a "premium" black pile from YAQI, although I do not use second-hand things.
Pffff, Are you even reading my post?

Top Bottom