What's new

Opinions sought please

This is a little different but would like to hear from the pipe smokers please. Moderators feel free to move if you think best obviously, and I am aware of the brush and build section but was reaching out to pipe folks specifically.

I have some Italian briar stummels that were rejected (misdrills, inclusions, etc) and plan to make some brushes from them. The first blank I made has two bowls attached with Honduran rosewood. One stummel had much more pronounced figure while the other plain in comparison. Being a “pipe-brush”, I will probably rusticate the more plain side.

So my question to the pipe guys for opinions, which side would you use as the knot side vs the handle side? Figure side or rusticated side?

Pic below of blank - just a blank and has no real shaping, dyeing or anything so current look has little to do with final brush.

IMG_0849.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is a little different but would like to hear from the pipe smokers please. Moderators feel free to move if you think best obviously, and I am aware of the brush and build section but was reaching out to pipe folks specifically.

I have some Italian briar stummels that were rejected (misdrills, inclusions, etc) and plan to make some brushes from them. The first blank I made has two bowls attached with Honduran rosewood. One stummel had much more pronounced figure while the other plain in comparison. Being a “pipe-brush”, I will probably rusticate the more plain side.

So my question to the pipe guys for opinions, which side would you use as the knot side vs the handle side? Figure side or rusticated side?

Pic below of blank - just a blank and has no real shaping, dyeing or anything so current look has little to do with final brush.

View attachment 1797184
I don't know what you mean by Rusticated side or Figure side, that blank is not rusticated.
Having said that, I would put the brush in the end pointing right, and have the bottom on the end pointing left.
The grain is more interesting on the left, and I'd want to keep as much of it as possible.
It appears that there are voids on both sides, so...

or Figure side, that blank is not rusticated.
Having said that, I would put the brush in the end pointing right, and have the bottom on the end pointing left.
The grain is more interesting on the left, and I'd want to keep as much of it as possible.
It appears that there are voids on both sides, so...

That’s kind of how I feel too, thanks. Correct, the right side briar is not yet rusticated - it was just what I said I planned to do since it was so plain. Would you rusticate the right side briar or leave it plain? I normally do regular traditional rustication. Voids will be turned off (maybe, never know as you go deeper) when turning actual shape - I left it all for now after just getting cylindrical-ish just as a blank IMG_7104.jpeg

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That’s kind of how I feel too, thanks. Correct, the right side briar is not yet rusticated - it was just what I said I planned to do since it was so plain. Would you rusticate the right side briar or leave it plain? I normally do regular traditional rustication. Voids will be turned off (maybe, never know as you go deeper) when turning actual shape - I left it all for now after just getting cylindrical-ish just as a blank View attachment 1797216
Personally speaking, the last thing I'd want potentially covered with drying soap is a rusticated finish. I'd want things as smooth and easy to clean as possible.

Well, spent a few minutes messing with it this afternoon before I decided I hated it and put in the burn bin. Don’t like the boring briar and the more figured briar’s voids continued. I can fix the voids but all in all it wasn’t worth finishing further to me. Thanks for the replies.

IMG_0855.jpeg

Top Bottom