What's new

Pistol Options?

Lol'd. They don't call that old fashioned anymore, they call it being sexist. Just sayin'. :)

I could personally point out to you, around 100 female police officers who would beg to differ.
Ok. Ok, I still open doors for ladies so I am a disgusting sexist pig. I can live with that. :001_smile

As far as 100 female police officers... my sexist self emerges again. I would definitely not disobey any of their commands.
Beauties Serve the Community.jpg

I didn't read every post in detail but my biggest takeaway from the thread is the issue of a new firearm malfunctioning. I would never trust it again and would go for a different one immediately. No amount of tweaks or break in will convince me it can be trusted to work in an emergency after a failure out of the box.

Call me old fashioned but I still think wheel guns are best for the ladies, ham handed guys can rack slides and clear jams but most of the fairer sex can't. Simple=Safe.
I own a Kahr PM9 that I've had for at least a decade. During the first 200 rounds it failed to feed at least once on each magazine (which Kahr said would probably happen). In probably 5000 rounds since it has never once failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger.
Also own a Ed Brown 1911 that gave me fits for the first 300 to 400 rounds with constant feed failures. I finally figured the problem was extractor tension which was blocking the round in the magazine from feeding. Adjusted the extractor tension and now have over 10K rounds through this gun without a hiccup. Your view on the significance of problems out of the box is simply off base and born of a lack of understanding of the nature of many problems.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I own a Kahr PM9 that I've had for at least a decade. During the first 200 rounds it failed to feed at least once on each magazine (which Kahr said would probably happen). In probably 5000 rounds since it has never once failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger.
Also own a Ed Brown 1911 that gave me fits for the first 300 to 400 rounds with constant feed failures. I finally figured the problem was extractor tension which was blocking the round in the magazine from feeding. Adjusted the extractor tension and now have over 10K rounds through this gun without a hiccup. Your view on the significance of problems out of the box is simply off base and born of a lack of understanding of the nature of many problems.

If an Ed Brown 1911 isn't worth taking the time and patience to see if you can get it right, then what pistol is?

Know what I'm sayin'? :)

With all due respect I have a very good understanding of the nature and basis of problems with firearms. I have 50 years of experience. Most folks do not have the same depth of knowledge as some members here and are not savvy enough to spot and fix problems like you did.

I would never hand my wife or anyone I love a firearm for protection that has failed to reliably function in the past. I don't care how nice it is or how it worked out in the long run, it can no longer be trusted for self defense of my loved ones or for me. In an emergency there is no room for extra breaking in, tweaks to springs, extractor, etc. That is my opinion. It is not based on a lack of understanding but on an abundance of caution and first hand experience.

Any pistol or other firearm for self defense that "gives me fits" with failures is gone as soon as I can get rid of it although a break in period is sometimes needed. A nice pistol like the Ed Brown is a keeper for sure and worth the effort but not many would know how to correct the problems and could not trust it to function reliably for self defense.

So anyway how about posting a pic of the 1911? :001_smile

Last edited:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
With all due respect I have a very good understanding of the nature and basis of problems with firearms. I have 50 years of experience. Most folks do not have the same depth of knowledge.

I would never hand my wife or anyone I love a firearm for protection that has failed to reliably function in the past. I don't care how nice it is or how it worked out in the long run, it can no longer be trusted for self defense of my loved ones or for me. In an emergency there is no room for extra breaking in, tweaks to springs, extractor, etc. That is my opinion. It is not based on a lack of understanding but on an abundance of caution and first hand experience.

Any pistol or other firearm for self defense that "gives me fits" with failures is gone as soon as I can get rid of it.
Well stated. I am as far from a gunsmith as you can be and still be alive, lol. But some folks are, and their level of comfort is different than mine, and yours as well it looks like.

But my level of comfort is what has kept me buying wheel guns exclusively. But go figure: my lovely bride has shot a bunch of my friends semiautomatic 9mm and that is what she wants, tho I keep telling her that the arthritis in her hands will probably only get worse.

Well stated. I am as far from a gunsmith as you can be and still be alive, lol. But some folks are, and their level of comfort is different than mine, and yours as well it looks like.

But my level of comfort is what has kept me buying wheel guns exclusively. But go figure: my lovely bride has shot a bunch of my friends semiautomatic 9mm and that is what she wants, tho I keep telling her that the arthritis in her hands will probably only get worse.
If only I could get my wife to actually carry a pistol. Any pistol. She keeps one in the glove box but that is not much good if she is not in the car when she needs it.

FarmerTan

If only I could get my wife to actually carry a pistol. Any pistol. She keeps one in the glove box but that is not much good if she is not in the car when she needs it.
Mine won't even keep one in the glove box, lol.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
With all due respect I have a very good understanding of the nature and basis of problems with firearms. I have 50 years of experience. Most folks do not have the same depth of knowledge as some members here and are not savvy enough to spot and fix problems like you did.

Any pistol or other firearm for self defense that "gives me fits" with failures is gone as soon as I can get rid of it although a break in period is sometimes needed. A nice pistol like the Ed Brown is a keeper for sure and worth the effort but not many would know how to correct the problems and could not trust it to function reliably for self defense.

Just out of curiosity, how do you get rid of it?

Just out of curiosity, how do you get rid of it?

Hopefully he sold it off cheap to someone who spent five minutes figuring out the problem, solving it, and is still enjoying a reliable firearm.

I own a far higher number of firearms than even an "above average" gun guy. I've handled and/or shot even more. It's a pretty rare gun that has such severe problems that it is untrustworthy after repair(if necessary).

I have a remington 870 wingmaster that when purchased(used, cheap) would routinely fail to fully extract a fired hull. Examination revealed a chipped extractor. Replacing the extractor revealed that the extractor cut in the barrel was slightly misaligned, which chipped the extractor. I spent thirty minutes replacing the extractor and chamfering the bottom edge to prevent it from chipping again. It has not failed in several thousand rounds since. I've had autoloaders fail to function due to bad magazines or mag springs. I've also seen brand new autoloaders fail to function with the included magazines and immediately run with 100& reliability using a brand new magazine from a different manufacturer.....when the same magazine caused failures in another, otherwise identical gun. Just a couple of examples out of many......

I didn't "know" how to identify and correct the problem either. I just did the research and asked the questions till I had it figured out, both what was happening and how to correct it. As it happens, Ed Brown apparently didn't know either because when I sent it back to him to fix the problem he returned it with a note that says they tested it with 185 gr ball and it worked fine. Probably did. The slide recoil speed was probably slow enough that the new round had more time to seat under the extractor. Was very disappointed with that. It's called a Kobra "Carry" and I really never considered 185 gr ball my first choice for carry ammo.

I'll try to post a pic later in the week. Don't have time right now.

Mine won't even keep one in the glove box, lol.

Mine will carry a Charter Arms snubbie when she's out without me someplace that she's uncomfortable being. When we're together she assumes I'll deal with whatever problems arise. Sure would like to know that I had some backup once in awhile.

FarmerTan

Mine will carry a Charter Arms snubbie when she's out without me someplace that she's uncomfortable being. When we're together she assumes I'll deal with whatever problems arise. Sure would like to know that I had some backup once in awhile.
Good point. We are out together a lot now that I'm retired, and I shall use the idea of us training together as a team as an incentive to get her more receptive to the idea. She already gets the idea, tho it took awhile, of why I want to sit where I do at a restaurant, or why I prefer to work security at church instead of sit in the pew. But if I planted the idea of a situation where I go down and she's unarmed.... well, let's just say or son shouldn't be orphaned at age 18.

Good point. We are out together a lot now that I'm retired, and I shall use the idea of us training together as a team as an incentive to get her more receptive to the idea. She already gets the idea, tho it took awhile, of why I want to sit where I do at a restaurant, or why I prefer to work security at church instead of sit in the pew. But if I planted the idea of a situation where I go down and she's unarmed.... well, let's just say or son shouldn't be orphaned at age 18.
Training together idea is a good one that we haven't tried. I'll have to put together some ideas for scenarios and training methods that we can work on as a team. I guess I should go dig out the airsofts. Maybe a chance to shoot something that stings at me will motivate her to do this!

May sound crazy but paintball will give you a new understanding of how/where to take cover and how to shoot from behind cover without taking hits. One or 2 hits from a paintball and you get cautious and aware really fast.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Air Soft training is very realistic and instructional if done right. Whole nuther ball game when your targets shoot back!

Air Soft training is very realistic and instructional if done right. Whole nuther ball game when your targets shoot back!
Very true. I've done quite a few training events with airsofts, mostly with Suarez International, and have always learned something from the experience.

Top Bottom