What's new

Paradigm DB Titanium

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
1710894589487.gif

what an absolute treat !!!! Works even better than my Athena lambda razor at this time :)
Flawless finishing - I don't have my Wolfman at present time, but based on my memory, the finish is just as good as polished Wolfman razor.
Excellent and smooth - with perfect audio feedback and BBS present after > 10 hrs.
For the price - its an amazing razor , a true bargain !
I know Andy said this is identical to prior SS diamondback, but based on my memory - this is more smooth and efficient than the SS version (at least to me ). !

what an absolute treat !!!! Works even better than my Athena lambda razor at this time :)
Flawless finishing - I don't have my Wolfman at present time, but based on my memory, the finish is just as good as polished Wolfman razor.
Excellent and smooth - with perfect audio feedback and BBS present after > 10 hrs.
For the price - its an amazing razor , a true bargain !
I know Andy said this is identical to prior SS diamondback, but based on my memory - this is more smooth and efficient than the SS version (at least to me ). !
Pics?????

Hannah's Dad

Well the TiBack (as I’m now calling it) arrived today and it is impressive. I am a bit baffled at the choice to ship the razor wrapped loosely in a burlap bag inside the box; I cannot think of a more abrasive environment (save sand paper) for a polished razor to travel in. Is this Andy’s way of saying ‘you cannot scratch this new finish and I dare you to try?’.

The razor is beautifully finished, and I can discern no scratches from the rough bag. It is not quite as ’mirror’ as the premium Wolfman mirror polish, but it is very shiny and uniform. It’s shinier and brighter than my beloved polished TiBird, as seen below.

My first shave will be tonight with a fresh Feather and some Ousia II soap. For the discounted price I paid last year, this razor is a fantastic bargain. We’ll see how it shaves later!

Attachments

• IMG_3985.jpeg
    IMG_3985.jpeg
    803.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_3986.jpeg
    IMG_3986.jpeg
    707 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3988.jpeg
    IMG_3988.jpeg
    902.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3984.jpeg
    IMG_3984.jpeg
    799.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_3987.jpeg
    IMG_3987.jpeg
    1,004 KB · Views: 31
What did you think of the burlap bag choice?

Maybe @Dtownvino Mike can weigh in on this.
It took me so long to get the box open that by the time I got it, I didn't think that much about it. Something like microfiber would probably have been a better choice.

But that box! It seemed like it was one of those puzzles you buy at the old school stores that also sell Blackjack gum and stick candy. I was about to admit defeat and take a hammer and screwdriver to it when I finally pried it open.

@Hannah's Dad and @kingfisher I’m trying to figure out how you got yours and mine just shipped 🤣

Burlap - he likes it a lot and really, you can’t scratch Ti with wood and burlap. I am not sure if the next round will have a wooden box and burlap sack.

I think you will find it shaves smooth and efficient. It may take a few shaves to get used to it compared to the Ti BB but it will reward you with a nice 2 pass shave. I find I do like to j hook my jawline with it for a real BBS, but that is my facial shape and beard pattern.

Looking forward to your feedback gentleman!

Hannah's Dad

What a remarkable first shave!

This razor is a joy to operate — perfectly balanced and nimble. The first pass was very smooth, though audible feedback and slight blade feel (Feathers announce their arrival) were present. It destroyed 48 hours of sandpaper stubble, and the first pass rinse was all I needed to know that this razor is a keeper. (Sorry Kirk @Latherati !!). The second pass across the grain felt even smoother than the first, and I felt that I was going a bit more shallow with the angle. I remember now why I unloaded the SS DBack a few years ago - I prefer STEEP angle shaving. The TiBird excels (for me) at a steep angle. This TiBack requires a more shallow attack, but the weight is so comfy that it feels quite natural and effortless to maintain the shallower angle. It also ‘quiets’ the razor a bit.

After the second pass and a few extra swipes under my chin/jawline, I was ready to declare a winner. This razor provides a perfect complement to the TiBird in my den, avoiding redundancy in the experience of the shave, but providing an equally efficient two pass result. Wonderful addition to my den and thanks to Mike @Dtownvino for piqué ing my interest in this pre-sale last year. I am very pleased to own a DBack again in such pristine condition, and that it’s Titanium is pure bonus.

For those who missed the $265 pre-sale, I would say that even at the current price of $350, this razor is a bargain and you should snap one up at the next opportunity.

I think my TiBird has serious competition for king of my den. Time will tell if a de-throning has occurred. Instinct says the steep ride of the TiBird will prevail; but this new beast is so sublimely smooth that I might experience a ‘paradigm‘ shift in my thinking. Hope those of you who obtain one of these enjoy it too!

So, I am the exact opposite of Hannah's Dad, as I am a shallow angle shaving enthusiast. The current king of my DE stable is the Chiseled Face Legacy, also a titanium razor, and it requires/rewards a very shallow angle.

I had fallen so in love with the CF Legacy that I had entertained thoughts of an actual 'Grail' razor, thinking, even, about selling all my other DEs, because I prefer the Legacy by so much that the rest of them hardly see any use. So deeply had I fallen in love, in fact, that I had almost come to regret ordering the Diamondback, as I was sure that no matter what it could never hold a candle to my CF Legacy.

When I saw the razor, I was definitely impressed by its looks and its balance. After the first couple of swipes on the left side of my face tonight, I was also impressed with the way it shaves. This razor is going to make a lot of people very happy.

The two things i worry about when I get a new razor is that it might have too much blade feel and that it might demand a steep angle. My fears were assuaged early on. It certainly has more blade feel than the Legacy (almost all razors do), but it is not unpleasant. It accepts a wider range of shaving angles than my Legacy, but seemed smoothest going somewhat but not overly shallow, which was easy for me.

It felt mostly just smooth and simple to use. The balance I noticed before the shave really shines during the shave. The handle is more than just a pretty face; the hexagonal shape is really comfortable in use. Fantastic.

Two passes was all it took to get to DFS. I had only one very small area of mild irritation from the XTG near the outside of the lips on the left, but it wasn't much. I took it to that area the same way I use my Legacy, and I think the angle was slightly off there.

But overall, an amazing first shave. This will please more people than the Legacy because it has just the right amount of blade feel for most, and the shaving angle required is neither overly shallow nor overly steep. Smooth, easy, comfortable, and beautiful. The weight is perfect. And machined and finished in the USA! What's not to like? Andy, the design is great, and Jake, the machining is perfect. You should both be very proud.
20240327_212346.jpg

Hannah's Dad

@Hannah's Dad Glad you enjoyed your first shave! It’s one shave, but how does the blade feel and efficiency compare with the TiBird??
Kirk, there is noticeably less blade feel than the TiBird (especially when the TiBird handle runs almost parallel to the face) and efficiency (after a single shave) seems about equal. I’ll keep gauging it moving forward. There is significantly more efficiency with this TiBack after each pass than with the Athena (by way of comparison).

Burlap - he likes it a lot and really, you can’t scratch Ti with wood and burlap. I am not sure if the next round will have a wooden box and burlap sack.

The first thing that struck me when I saw the packaging was: isn't this going to be rattling around in transit?
Burlap/Jute is considerably coarse, so I thought it was a curious choice. Having said that, no one has received
a scratched razor...so Andy has obviously thought this through. I trust the maker on this.

Well the TiBack (as I’m now calling it) arrived today

Funny...in some cultures, T-Back is what the ladies call a G-string.
Puts a whole new spin on things. 😛

The geometries between the Ti Dback and Ti BB are so different. The gap of the Dback is ,80 and I think BB is ,55. Blade exposure is also quite different, with it being less in the Dback.

Probably for anyone guessing, it shaves closer to the Overlander in blade feel than the BB but is much closer to the BB than the Overlander in efficiency.

With the BB I always feel a little more exfoliated and like I shaved than with the Dback.

Athena isn’t in the conversation. I can shave with for 3 passes to get what I do from the Dback with jawline clean up in 2. The Dback Ti is also a lot more maneuverable at about 62 grams.

Top Bottom