What's new

Paradigm DB Titanium

Paradigm is taking pre-order for its Diamondback Titanium.

The sale price is $287.5

For anyone interested in the razor, here's the link of the pre-order page.

and Salient is on sale, too.

It's been pointed out on another forum that Andy's calculator is in fact broke as in the description it is 25% off on sale for $287.50 but actual 25% off list, $350 = $262.50 so be sure you don't lose out on the extra $25 on that presale price!! Just a shame delivery won't be until Feb 24 though...

Reactions: Kix
It's been pointed out on another forum that Andy's calculator is in fact broke as in the description it is 25% off on sale for $287.50 but actual 25% off list, $350 = $262.50 so be sure you don't lose out on the extra $25 on that presale price!! Just a shame delivery won't be until Feb 24 though...
I've placed my pre-order in early yesterday. The question is, do I have to bring this up to Andy or is he going to reimburse people at a later time?

Hmmm. He accidentally calculated the 17.857% discount instead. I know not everybody is adept at multiplying fractions but the mathematician in me can’t help wondering what possible miscalculation could arrive at the answer of $287.50. Maybe he did the correct calculation first time and then overthought it and decided you have to add $25 at the end. Hard to guess why.

Last edited:

Iridian

Cool and slimy
He is collaborating with Yates for this one, so this piqued my interest:

The razor will be finished using a proprietary method which is brand new to the industry, a patented process which is available from a single shop in the United States. It is electrochemical and mechanical, but uses no abrasive. It achieves the same passivation and accuracy as electropolishing, but leaves a superior surface finish, which is closer to hand polishing, but removes far less metal, and will not disturb specified tolerances. The razors will be bright and reflective, in no way dark or "matte."

Yates apparently never used it on any of their own razors, so I wonder a bit about that.

The original Diamondback is a great shaver. In Ti it should be even better.
IMG_4043.jpeg

Yes it is the 2019 diamondback. I’ve owned a 2020 also.

The Ti should bright and shiny but not quite mirror polished.

I believe everyone has received a refund over the past hour or so. I know his intention was 25% for certain, we spoke last week and he was happy to get the razor to market this quickly.

Candidly, for a Ti razor that shaves like this, it’s an exceptional value.

I submitted my pre order yesterday and received a partial refund today, to net out to the intended discounted selling price. I suspect the original discounted price entry was a mechanical error as 87.50 is the actual intended discount amount, and the mis-entered selling price of 287.50 (emphasis mine) seems to be in inline with a honest mistake.

The discounted Ti Diamondback seems to offer significant value, given the SS Diamondback reputation and secondary market value. Can't wait to get mine.

Hi Dan,

DB is more efficient and glides a tiny bit easier. Athena is milder, yet an automatic BBS with 3 passes.

The answer for me is both, in multiple metals for each 🤣

Let me rank 3 razors in a few areas as to how I see them. All RS10 rankings are with the aggressive plate, I never use the mild.

Blade Feel least to most:

Athena
RS10
Diamondback

No razor has much blade feel but this is my ranking but the Athena is the least for me.

Efficiency:

Diamondback
Athena
RS10

Glide:

Diamondback and RS10 (tie)
Athena

I have to go a tiny bit slower with the Athena, it glides well but somehow the scalloped base seems to really lifts the hairs and therefore is best suited with a slightly slower pass. This is not stiction like you get with a Henson or Yates 921, maybe it’s me but both my brother and I agree it’s a slightly slower shave.

Daily Driver ability (if I shave every 24 hours, which razor can I use with the least amount of worry for irritation)

Athena (3 passes)
RS10 - 2.5 passes
Diamondback - 2.5 passes

Post shave comfort (which razor exfoliated me the least and gives me the least amount of alum or alcohol feedback)

Athena
RS10
Diamondback

Last but not least length of BBS with a 3 pass for me:

Athena - 8 hours
Diamondback - 8 hours
RS10 - 5/6 hours

So for me it’s simple. The Athena is milder yet with a 3 pass, results every single time in a BBS with little to no touch up.

The DB I tend to use as a 2 pass and touch up which doesn’t last as long for a BBS. I have to try for a 3 pass if I want an 8 hour BBS with the DB I need to perform a 3 pass. But that is a lot of razor for my conditions on a daily basis.

Luckily I can shave every other day for work so I can use all 3 happily… but again it’s subjective and YMMV.

Last edited:
Hi Dan,

DB is more efficient and glides a tiny bit easier. Athena is milder, yet an automatic BBS with 3 passes.

Let me rank 3 razors in a few areas as to how I see them. All RS10 are with the aggressive plate, I never use the mild.

Athena
RS10
Diamondback

No razor has much blade feel but this is my ranking.

Efficiency:

Diamondback
Athena
RS10

Glide:

Athena

Daily Driver ability (if I shave every 24 hours, which razor can I use with the least amount of worry for irritation)

Athena (3 passes)
RS10
Diamondback

Athena - 8 hours
Diamondback - 8 hours
RS10 - 5/6 hours

So for me it’s simple. The Athena is milder yet with a 3 pass, results every single time in a BBS with little to no touch up.

The diamondback I tend to use as a 2 pass and touch up which doesn’t last as long for a BBS. I have to try for a 3 pass if I want an 8 hour BBS with the diamondback I need to perform a 3 pass. But that is a lot of razor for my conditions on a daily basis.

Luckily I can shave every other day for work so I can use all 3 happily… but again it’s subjective and YMMV.
What a great post about three of the most legendary razors (I do consider the Athena legendary, although it is relatively new and still current and available). So few people own these razors that we must experience them vicariously through posts like this. Let’s hope the reincarnated Diamondback (assuming these do indeed get made) matches the original.

I also hope the Paradigm SE comes back, at least for one run. I didn’t appreciate the odd square handle at the time but I rather like the look of it now.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Hi Dan,

Let me rank 3 razors in a few areas as to how I see them. All RS10 rankings are with the aggressive plate, I never use the mild.

Athena
RS10
Diamondback

No razor has much blade feel but this is my ranking but the Athena is the least for me.

Efficiency:

Diamondback
Athena
RS10

Glide:

Athena

I have to go a tiny bit slower with the Athena, it glides well but somehow the scalloped base seems to really lifts the hairs and therefore is best suited with a slightly slower pass. This is not stiction like you get with a Henson or Yates 921, maybe it’s me but both my brother and I agree it’s a slightly slower shave.

Athena (3 passes)
RS10 - 2.5 passes
Diamondback - 2.5 passes

Post shave comfort (which razor exfoliated me the least and gives me the least amount of alum or alcohol feedback)

Athena
RS10
Diamondback

Athena - 8 hours
Diamondback - 8 hours
RS10 - 5/6 hours

The DB I tend to use as a 2 pass and touch up which doesn’t last as long for a BBS. I have to try for a 3 pass if I want an 8 hour BBS with the DB I need to perform a 3 pass. But that is a lot of razor for my conditions on a daily basis.

1700911736758.gif

Thank you @Mr. Shavington . My understanding is that the Diamondback will be the only razor re-released from his former razors, but we will see new DE’s coming from Andy and they appear to be really designed well.

I didn’t ask him about SE’s, I never got along well with many AC razors.

I know Andy loves Ti and is looking at other distinguishing materials and YPM was chosen with a purpose as Jake is both an ME and a razor maker. Hopefully it’s a win-win for both parties.

I also apologize for the typos/use of English in my last post. I was awake for 10 min and I added a few points so I didn’t proofread after making changes. I’m sure you can read what I wrote, but I can write a lot better…

Mathematicians sometimes get used to writing proofs and toss English out the window…

Top Bottom