What's new

Titanium vs Stainless Steel Pricing

A few days ago I was showing a friend some pictures of high end razors and he was very confused as to why they are so expensive, because as he put it - ''they are just small metal pieces that go together and they were meant only to hold blades in them and nothing else''.

Does your friend have a wife or girlfriend?

I wonder how either would react when he explained to her that “A diamond ring is just an overpriced piece of carbon that is stuck on a metal ring.” and “For the price of a diamond ring I can get several truckloads of coal.” :sneaky2:

But then again, anyone with that kind of philosophy would probably live alone. :001_cool:

Besides, for some people the epitome of “art” might be a well built survival knife. :pipe:

B.

Last edited:

I wonder how either would react when he explained to her that “A diamond ring is just an overpriced piece of carbon that is stuck on a metal ring.” and “For the price of a diamond ring I can get several truckloads of coal.” :sneaky2:

But then again, anyone with that kind of philosophy would probably live alone. :001_cool:

Besides, for some people the epitome of “art” might be a well built survival knife. :pipe:

B.
And don't even get started talking about women's purses.

There are a lot of different reasons for why a maker might set their prices.

It's helpful to remember that pricing is, and should be, detached from production cost. Pricing is not determined by some rote multiple of the production cost. Pricing is dictated by the perceived value a product provides, the existing market, and the goals of the company. Sometimes it's valuable to squeeze margin to push more volume. Sometimes it's valuable to increase margin and intentionally depress volume. Sometimes it's helpful to sell a product at breakeven or even a loss to acquire a customer and gain profit over the long term. Every business has different goals and different logic behind their pricing so it's not particularly valuable to assume that the pricing model of one business should apply everywhere.

All that really matters is whether a price is worth it to the customer. That's the metric that drives market standards.

B.

Yes, he is married and he's into survival and bushcraft knives and he's trying to understand the analogy of why and what makes a more premium razor equal to a well made knife, since all the razor does is holding a blade. I simply told him that it's apples to oranges comparison and only those who enjoy this hoby will truly appreciate it. Of course, I rarely speak about shaving with anyone and I would never tell anyone I know how much I've spend on razors and shaving in general for the past 20 years alone.

I enjoy using my premium razors and I try not to think too much about why they cost that much, but I suppose for someone who isn't into that kind of things, it might indeed sound a bit illogical, then again the whole life itself is illogical, but I digress.

I also enjoy well made knives (well not as much as he does, but still), but I see most of them as an art more than anything else. I don't think I would ever have to rely on my Elmax, CPM Magnacut or other fancy types of steel knives in a real survival situation where my life would depend on them.

Titanium, like steel, has many variations that determine quality and price. While with steel, it is almost always mentioned what exactly is used to make the razor, this is not the case with titanium. It just says tititan and that's it. But this is often low-quality, mid-level material at best, but not the highest quality.
So until they start detailing exactly what titanium alloy is used to make the istroment, it's just a marketing gimmick.
Not entirely. Even the cheaper grades are essentially rust-proof, and have a lighter weight. So they have (imo) some advantages over any type of so-called stainless steel (all types of which can rust, some more than others).

Not entirely. Even the cheaper grades are essentially rust-proof, and have a lighter weight. So they have (imo) some advantages over any type of so-called stainless steel (all types of which can rust, some more than others).
Plastic is also lighter and doesn't rust, but so what, no one wants a plastic razor.
Some people, (not all) buy titanium razors because they think that this luxury performance from the same titanium, from which high-tech elements are made, for example in aviation. BUT, that has nothing to do with this material. Firstly, because high-quality material is more expensive, secondly, because it is more difficult to process. This is what I mean when I say that details about the composition being used are deliberately not mentioned.

Plastic is also lighter and doesn't rust, but so what, no one wants a plastic razor.
Some people, (not all) buy titanium razors because they think that this luxury performance from the same titanium, from which high-tech elements are made, for example in aviation. BUT, that has nothing to do with this material. Firstly, because high-quality material is more expensive, secondly, because it is more difficult to process. This is what I mean when I say that details about the composition being used are deliberately not mentioned.
First of all, some people actually do want plastic razors, and are even 3D printing them and selling their 3D plans so that others can print them if they want to.

Secondly, plastic is a LOT lighter than stainless, and a lot lighter than titanium, too. My personal opinion is that some weights are better than others for razors. Titanium is just about perfect for me. Stainless is fine, but heavier than I prefer. Plastic is much lighter than I want.

I am aware that this is just my personal preference and that it can't be generalized. For me, titanium is essentially the perfect weight for a razor.

I am aware that this is just my personal preference and that it can't be generalized. For me, titanium is essentially the perfect weight for a razor.

Agreed.

I think some of youse might be over thinking this stuff. I've never heard (or read) a person say,
"Oh boys, I need my razor in Ti version because it's exotic and used in high-stress applications like aircraft."

I started wet shaving with a 34c and then vintage Gillettes. Red tip weighs 64g, Ranger Tech 54g, etc. My first SS modern razor was a Timeless 68 in stainless and the contrast in weight was striking.

A stainless Lupo 72/95 even with the lightest SS handle (ufo) weighs 91g but paired with a Windrose Ti handle; a lean and mean 67g which is vintage territory.

Drakkant Stainless 97g
Drakkant Ti 55g

Blackbird SS 94g
Titanium 54g

30 or 40g more weight is a lot for something I'm holding in my fingers - especially old fingers - and maneuvering around my face. Some folks like the heavier Stainless razors. That's great... you have beau coup choices. I prefer lighter; give me a razor around 50-70ish grams and I'm like Goldilocks in little bear's bed. Stronger than stainless steel you say? And still weighs 42% less than the SS version? Icing on the cake. Count me in.

No marketing or gimmicks required.
Build it and they will come.

Besides, I get a kick outta hearing @Alum Ladd call them kryptonite.
Kryptonite to my wallet, that's for sure. 😵‍💫

Last edited:
I'm very much in the same camp as @kingfisher and @Sweeney_ . I like titanium for the light weight and trouble-free maintenance. I couldn't care less about the aerospace uses of it.

Aluminum is nice but just a bit too light. SS and brass/bronze seem heavy in my hand. Titanium is just right. I'm also very fond of the weight of razors like the Fatip piccolo and vintage Gillettes.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
A few days ago I was showing a friend some pictures of high end razors and he was very confused as to why they are so expensive, because as he put it - ''they are just small metal pieces that go together and they were meant only to hold blades in them and nothing else''.
This is, of course, a kind of child-like view of the world. I just purchased a $9,000 flute that is just a silver tube with holes in it. I play it in church along side of guitars that are just pieces of wood with strings stretched across them.

This is, of course, a kind of child-like view of the world. I just purchased a $9,000 flute that is just a silver tube with holes in it. I play it in church along side of guitars that are just pieces of wood with strings stretched across them.

I think when people are not into something, they have a hard time accepting it as logical. Many years ago I've tried to convert some of my friends into DE shaving, but they showed no interest whatsoever, so I rarely bother talking to anyone I know of on this subject anymore, let alone admitting that I own razors that cost a few hundred each.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I only have one complete titanium razor: the Timeless Ti 0.68OC... It feels a lot lighter than all my stainless steel razor for which I almost always substitute a Ti Crown handle... It's the weight to which I've become accustomed. With the SS razor heads and titanium handle combination, the balance is always toward the razor head.... I have to say, the Timeless Ti 0.68OC has a different feel for it. I'm guessing you'd call it "balanced" overall.... It certainly doesn't feel handle heavy like my SS razors with their OEM handles.

Oddly enough, I am ok with my bronze and brass razors with their OEM handles, except the Timeless bronze 0.38. That comes with a shorter handle and feels odd to me. My Wolfman bronze razors all have hollow handles that weigh around 40 grams, except the Darwin handle which weighs 57 grams.

I also have a couple brass razors: the Goodfellas Smile Bayonetta and a Rocnel brass Elite... I don't mind either handle. I'm not sure why the weight doesn't bother me, but it doesn't... Same with the Athena bronze. That handle should be anathema to me... but it seems to disappear in use.

i frankly believe that titanium razors are a novelty that is neither required nor necessary but simply a novelty!! i have owned both LA BBS-1 razors in titanium and SS and yes you guessed right, i sold the titanium and kept the SS. The added heft of SS performs better (although you can argue this is razor specific and the overall razors dimensions/balance can easily sway the decision the other way) in the case of LA BBS-1 i found the SS to work out better. in addition and all honesty i think it's just a money grab, but what do i know?!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
That handle should be anathema to me... but it seems to disappear in use.
IMO the magic is in the pinky butt rest. If one has good grip, extra weight is not a problem. A slippery, heavy SS handle on the other hand is a real detractor.

I bet some of my not so grippy DSCosmetic handles are way better in their Ti version.

If the likes of Henson can sell a highly accomplished, very well finished single gap Ti razor at $250,
and I guess they make a decent profit, then that is the yardstick to measure things with.

Beyond that, it depends on how badly you want a much higher priced razor.

Top Bottom