What's new

I am really liking Parker Variant OC

I’ve had two shaves with it so far.

The original Variant was my favorite razor, always guaranteed to produce great quality shaves. I typically used it at 3.5. At 2 it was mild, at 1.5 it was too mild.

The OC takes it a step further. At 2 it’s as efficient as what I get with the original at 3.5, and incredibly smooth (not that the original isn’t smooth). At 3, it’s aggressive yet buttery smooth. The skin after the shave is feeling smooth and rested. I am extremely pleased with this razor.

Tonight I should get the vintage Long Comb Gillette from eBay, so I will probably use that one tomorrow. But on Wednesday, I will try that Variant OC on 1.5 - the setting that I find a bit too mild with the original. If the OC maintains the same efficiency on low settings, then Parker indeed managed to perfect my already favorite shaver.

But I already love that razor. Both shaves I got with it (using Astra SP on its 1st and 2nd runs) were super smooth, very clean and easy BBS, and the skin comfort afterwards can only be compared to what I get from the post-war Gillette - except the Parker is a whole lot more efficient.

The OC on the right and its older brother on the left.

IMG_3308.jpeg

The dot exists on the original as well, it’s just on the opposite side in the photo.

The finish is very similar. My old one has graphite finish on the handle, and the OC is all silver, so the knurling on it stands out more in the light. The only real changes are the dial knob (knurling replaced with vertical cuts) and the small connecting piece between the head and the handle - it’s scalloped in the SB design but just a straight cylinder in the new one. Essentially it’s the same exact razor, just a different comb style.

The dot exists on the original as well, it’s just on the opposite side in the photo.

The finish is very similar. My old one has graphite finish on the handle, and the OC is all silver, so the knurling on it stands out more in the light. The only real changes are the dial knob (knurling replaced with vertical cuts) and the small connecting piece between the head and the handle - it’s scalloped in the SB design but just a straight cylinder in the new one. Essentially it’s the same exact razor, just a different comb style.
I have them both but to me the knurling on the OC is different, more grippy than the SB version.

Nice write up -- thanks for sharing your experience! I've been interested in the Variant for a while, and your words give me more info to go on. Cheers!

Nice write up -- thanks for sharing your experience! I've been interested in the Variant for a while, and your words give me more info to go on. Cheers!
Thanks. You really can’t go wrong with either of them. Parker took a proven Merkur design and improved it with the original Variant, and now made it even better.

So, this morning I used it on 1.5, which in my original Variant felt too mild when I did that. In the OC, it’s just as effortlessly efficient and even more smooth. This is getting into post-war Tech comfort zone but with more efficiency. Just wow.

Now I need to try that original version on 1.5 again and see if I was rushing to judgment with it… I haven’t used it on that setting in years.

it quickly became my favorite too. I'm using it on the same settings as the Progress, 5-5-2 :) it might not be a perfect comparison, because the progress locks in perfectly on 1 with the blade loaded, and the Variant locks slightly above 1 with the blade in it, not that I care, it is just display.
I could go out the door after the 1st pass, 2nd makes it well above DFS, but the last dialed down ATG pass is the cherry on top for a glass like finish, without irritation.

At what setting does you feel the blade?

For example I feel the blade even at setting 1 at Gillette Black Beauty.

I am not sure I can answer that as I am so used to razors with strong blade presence that not feeling the blade seems weird to me.

Put it this way - I find that this razor is very efficient already on 2 (out of 5). With the original Variant I use 3.5. The Super 105 that I have needs to be opened to at least 6 (out of 9) and it still requires more cleanup. Which sometimes results in irritation.

What I absolutely love about this OC Variant is that it is both very efficient *and* very mild / smooth. A guaranteed quick BBS with no issues whatsoever. At least in my case. And the original version is the same way, except it is less efficient at low settings. But 2-2.5 on OC or 3-3.5 on SB result in a perfect shave for me every time.

Very nice review. I've been more than a little curious about the OC version, but between having the OG Variant (and loving it), and Parker's Semi-Slant, plus the A1R for away-shaves, I've got enough razors in le rotation.

Top Bottom