What's new

Paradigm DB Titanium

It still won’t be nearly as refined in the design and finishing as the Tedalus is, but it’s not intended to be.

This is highly subjective area. I have handled some very well finished razors (as have many others)
and don't see the Tedalus as mould-breaking as far as its finish goes. It's ok. Not $900 worth to me.

I am pleased to note that Theo from Lambda is professional enough not to troll the internet accusing all the other independent razor manufacturers of “highway robbery”.

Well, good for Theo...I certainly don't look to Theo as the standard bearer of the shaving world.
The Yates guy was not out of order to speak his mind. The world needs a bit more of that.

Just checking in and definitely did not expect this direction in the thread. Having spent lots of years on Reddit forums, I'm pretty sure I know where this conversation could end up. And I am not touching that with a 10ft pole.

My apologies to all for any contribution to thread derailment. My previous post was intended as a response to @Mr. Shavington and his original query. The real focus of my post should have been on the last part. That is where I tried to emphasize that regardless of what was posted by Jake, I am confident he will produce excellent workmanship on the Ti Diamondback, and I am excited to receive my finished copy.

Pleasant shaves to all.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I admit, I was a bit taken back by the initial pricing of the Atelier DURDAN La Faulx when it was released. Augustin started out in Wolfman pricing territory. Then a few guys here bought one. @Mr. Shavington and @Rudy Vey got theirs... @Elliot too...and a couple others. They had such thorough and complimentary reviews, I ordered mine. I had to pony up the money when I placed my order. I'm not used to that.. parting with my money to an overseas manufacturer, knowing I have to wait 3 months before I'll take delivery.

I know Atelier DURDAN isn't the topic here, but expensive razors are coming up, hence this post. Sometimes, a new manufacturer shows up with something special. Pricing varies depending on the labor costs and the profit margin they have chosen. We either buy them.... or we pass. I'm extremely pleased with my La Faulx.

I’m one of the guys who buys razors (and am late to the party) and has spent a lot of money trying razors I want to that have been out of production. It’s a hobby and I enjoy it.

i know the process for the finishing of the Dback Ti. I have not seen the process on Ti yet. It costs a lot per part and there are 3 parts in the diamondback. It’s exciting for me, really happy for Andy.

Yates can make the razor, Jake saw the CAD file and said, no problem. Fixtures are ordered and razors will be cranking soon.

I’m one of the guys who buys razors (and am late to the party) and has spent a lot of money trying razors I want to that have been out of production. It’s a hobby and I enjoy it.

i know the process for the finishing of the Dback Ti. I have not seen the process on Ti yet. It costs a lot per part and there are 3 parts in the diamondback. It’s exciting for me, really happy for Andy.

Yates can make the razor, Jake saw the CAD file and said, no problem. Fixtures are ordered and razors will be cranking soon.
Will it be signed for delivery in February?

If the Tedalus price were in the same ballpark, to comment would be unseemly. But given that it is not even in the same zip code, i'm with Fiddler on this.

People are still free to spend what they want and buy what they want, and Tedalus is still free to change what they want, so who's the victim?

Will it be signed for delivery in February?
It will really depend on if Jake doesn’t have delays (he also releases a Ti razor the same week after committing to this one and seeing the presale success) and if the finishing goes as smoothly as it was sold to Andy.

I know there is buffer built in to that date by Andy.

I really should say I am the same as anyone here. I bought one at the presale price and I’m in line like everyone else. I do not want special treatment, but he is also a personal friend and we talked through the project on many levels.

I’ve helped a few artisan friends in the industry with some commercial or mfg questions but this isn’t my industry and I have no horse in the race.

Happy Holidays to all, I’m going to stay out of this thread until I know prototypes are delivered!

A couple of things about the velocity one vs the diamondback and Yates.

1.) Yates didn’t design the razor, Andy did. Let’s give credit where credit is due, there are 1000’s of machine shops in the US that could make this razor for Andy. Yates was chosen as a low risk, not far away supplier and to bring the mfg back to the US.

The original Salient had a better handle, the Chinese machine shop couldn’t make it and it wasn’t nearly as intricate as the Dback.

2.) The comparison should be between the SS Dback and the Velocity One, not the Ti. Why, because at least they are both SS even if they are different alloys.

3.) The Velocity One looks great, but I’m not for the two-tone polish. It will be too hard to keep for me at my age looking great for 25 more years (my actuarial life expectancy).

4.) Jake does not know where the Diamondback will be polished. Yates never made polished razors. Andy isn’t sharing this with anyone and i don’t blame him.

5.) There may be later releases of the Dback Ti with different finishes at different prices. None are planned to be like the Velocity One.

In short - the Dback Ti was to be made in the USA to overcome the Chinese stigma of the Salient (which I feel shaves wonderfully).

The polish on the first xxx Dback Ti’s is expected to be bright but it’s still not hand polished on purpose. Hand polishing is inconsistent and removes too much of the critical surfaces. I saw the polish on a Ti medical device - it looks really bright and great.

Finally - how does the Ti Dback shave?

Smooth, efficient, and a pleasure. It’s more efficient than the Ti2, less than the original Dback in SS and less blade feel than the Salient.

Its head profile is low, or I would directly compare it to the RS10 aggressive plate.

So sit tight, it’s coming and I expect Andy to make some announcements in the next week.

Video of the new razor is now released on @yatesprecision Instagram account, adding a screen shot (Well, I had to crop the image to fit) (hope I'm allowed to add this screenshot if that is against any rules i hope the admin can just delete the picture. Credit are given to yates precision and the video can be found on yatesprecision instagram account.)

IMG_3503.jpeg

Top Bottom