luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This thread is making me sweat thinking about all the salt content.😅

download.jpg

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!

Gaze on me, ye mortals, and weep
My dad was a linen salesman when we we were young and he had butcher shops as customers. He would get a big paper bag of cracklins from a shop and set it on the counter when he came home. By morning the bag was literally grease soaked. It didn’t matter to me l couldn’t wait to eat them. My sisters thought it was disgusting, they called it boy food.
that's a roundabout way to say good food

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
We use coconut or cane vinegar, Datu Puti (cane vinegar) or Silver Swan (coconut vinegar) from the Philippines is usually carried by our local Asian stores. - regular white vinegar is grain vinegar but it works ok in a pinch. Many Asian stores carry it already seasoned with chili peppers.
I've not tried it with cider vinegar, but the idea is appealing, and there is some reported benefit to consuming cider vinegar, so I'll have to give it a try.

Sounds like Jamaican "Pique" -- same thing, soak peppers in vinegar. We use cider vinegar and a selection of peppers in ours.

O.H.

I don’t mind fresh asparagus, but that canned succotash is and always will be disgusting.
only thing i find twice as revolting as tinned [cats food] fish .... is tinned asparrowgrass, wait ... 10 times more revolting .... so much so you can open a can of it in Antarctica and i can still smell it 🤮 🤢 !

pigs feet
and chickins feet ........ 😋 💘 and lambs brains .... so why do i dislike tinned fish and asparrowgrass? loony i guess 💭

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
My mother would boil canned vegetables.. period... horrible stuff... but the very worst? Boiled canned Okra.... She wouldn't even eat it.

She also used to "make" chipped beef on toast.... with her own horrible white sauce.... Talk about salt content... I'll bet I get less salt with pork rinds, which I love if they are the hot variety. Phil's suggestion sounds amazing.... We have a great Asian market here.... I'll pick up some coconut or cane vinegar. I also love those hot oils... Probably even more than the chili infused vinegar.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Yesterday, while doing food deliveries.... I brought someone fried Mac&Cheese.... Now, I'm off the carbs so I can't eat it... but I'll bet I gained 5 pounds just smelling it in my car... Thankfully, I use thermal bags so the odors (usually delicious smelling) are muted a bit.

My mother would boil canned vegetables.. period... horrible stuff... but the very worst? Boiled canned Okra.... She wouldn't even eat it.

She also used to "make" chipped beef on toast.... with her own horrible white sauce.... Talk about salt content... I'll bet I get less salt with pork rinds, which I love if they are the hot variety. Phil's suggestion sounds amazing.... We have a great Asian market here.... I'll pick up some coconut or cane vinegar. I also love those hot oils... Probably even more than the chili infused vinegar.

Yep.. SOS.. The cleaner version Stuff on a Shingle.. Flour and water for sauce. If you didn’t eat it fast you could use it as glue for a school project.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
I'll tell ya what, when I want a dish with an elegant air, I fantasize about a TUNA RING

proxy.php
Though I certainly wouldn't refer to it as "elegant", I think the recipe sounds pretty good. I may try it. I'm a big fan of Tuna Noodle Casserole, and this sounds like a pretty good alternative.
For others who may be interested and can't read it, here's a transcript of this 1958 recipe:

2 cups Bisquick
2/3 cup evaporated milk
1/3 cup water
3 eggs
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
two 7-oz. cans tuna, flaked with oil
1/2 cup grated sharp cheese
1 tbsp. chopped onion
1/4 cup chopped pimiento
1/3 cup chopped celery

Heat oven to 400 degrees (moderately hot).
Grease a 9" square baking dish or 11 x 7" baking dish or 9" ring mold.
Blend Bisquick, milk, water, eggs, salt and pepper. Beat vigorously 30 seconds.
Mix in 1 1/2 cans tuna, 1/4 cup cheese, onion, pimiento and celery.
Spread batter in prepared pan. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup cheese over top.
Bake 30 to 35 minutes. Serve with Tuna Sauce in center. 8 servings.
Tuna Sauce: Gradually add 1 cup evaporated milk and 2/3 cup water to 2 tbsp. Bisquick,
1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper and remaining 1/2 can tuna. Heat and serve.

Top Bottom