What's new

Odd Culinary Proclivities of the Past

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
proxy.php

Cubed steak, canned succotash and canned asparagus. We ate this all the time and I haven’t had any of the three in 40 years and I don’t see it happening again.
Suffering succotash....we had it ALL the time growing up. Dad raised beef cattle and mom always had as many of the cuts made into that as she could due to ease of making supper for five hungry boys. We call them minute steak in this area, although they don't necessarily come from the same part of the critter. Between that and coffee cake for breakfast every frigging Sunday morning(again, easy to put together getting us all ready for church whilst dad was out doing chores) I don't know that I've had either since I got married many moons ago.

Suffering succotash....we had it ALL the time growing up. Dad raised beef cattle and mom always had as many of the cuts made into that as she could due to ease of making supper for five hungry boys. We call them minute steak in this area, although they don't necessarily come from the same part of the critter. Between that and coffee cake for breakfast every frigging Sunday morning(again, easy to put together getting us all ready for church whilst dad was out doing chores) I don't know that I've had either since I got married many moons ago.

That cube steak was as tough as shoe leather no matter how much they tried to tenderize it. I don’t mind fresh asparagus, but that canned succotash is and always will be disgusting. We ate whatever was cooked with no exception or substitution, so I ate my share of all three.

I forgot about the coffee cake, we had that and the Pillsbury cinnamon or orange rolls in the can. My parents were from farm families so that’s how we ate even though we lived in the city. We ate cracklins and pickled pigs feet all the time.

My father loved his pork rinds. He would often splash Crystal hot sauce on them.
My dad was a linen salesman when we we were young and he had butcher shops as customers. He would get a big paper bag of cracklins from a shop and set it on the counter when he came home. By morning the bag was literally grease soaked. It didn’t matter to me l couldn’t wait to eat them. My sisters thought it was disgusting, they called it boy food.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
That sounds pretty dang amazing, Phil. What type of vinegar is best for that?
We use coconut or cane vinegar, Datu Puti (cane vinegar) or Silver Swan (coconut vinegar) from the Philippines is usually carried by our local Asian stores. - regular white vinegar is grain vinegar but it works ok in a pinch. Many Asian stores carry it already seasoned with chili peppers.
I've not tried it with cider vinegar, but the idea is appealing, and there is some reported benefit to consuming cider vinegar, so I'll have to give it a try.

Last edited:

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
We use coconut or cane vinegar, Datu Puti (cane vinegar) from the Philippines is usually carried by our local Asian stores. - regular white vinegar is grain vinegar but it works ok in a pinch. Many Asian stores carry it already seasoned with chili peppers.
I've not tried it with cider vinegar, but the idea is appealing, and there is some reported benefit to consuming cider vinegar, so I'll have to give it a try.
Thanks, Phil. There's an international market down the street from my new place in Nashville. I've been there many times and they have quite a few to choose from. I'll peruse the aisle carefully when I get back soon.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Thanks, Phil. There's an international market down the street from my new place in Nashville. I've been there many times and they have quite a few to choose from. I'll peruse the aisle carefully when I get back soon.
The coconut or cane vinegar is cloudy rather than clear as seen in the white vinegar Americans generally use, because the white vinegar we use is distilled.
5177s5HPWFL._SX679_PIbundle-2,TopRight,0,0_AA679SH20_.jpg
download.jpg
download1.jpg

Top Bottom