What's new

Testing Three Single Bladed Bics

proxy.php
Bic Metal
proxy.php

Recently found some Bic Metals which I had learned the existence of here on B&B. Figured that a comparison was in order with the other two single bladed Bics (the white Original and orange Sensitive). The Original and the Sensitive are made in France, whereas the Metal is made in Greece. The blades are made of ribbon steel 0.0025” thick, much thinner than the typical DE blades of 0.0035”- 0.004” thickness. I will forgo further descriptions and measurements as these razors are pretty much well known…to know more go to the “Nerdy Stuff” at the end of this post.

To test the Bics, I limited myself to two pass shaves and Proraso green. I used one razor of each kind until shave was uncomfortable, then repeated for a second run. So, I used a total of six razors in all. I shaved daily because of necessity, and did not get to test a three day “mow-down”. It was odd using such light razors at first, but one gets used to it. Didn’t get one single cut or weeper during testing but did get razor burn when using a blade too long.

A bit about myself before going further: my beard is of normal thickness and coarseness, my skin is only seasonally sensitive (winter), and I have a patch of whiskers that grows almost parallel to the skin (covers about 1/5 of my bearded area). This bad patch is what I use to rate razors. I don’t go for BBS shaves but content myself with DFSs. I’ve been DE and shavette shaving for about ten years. I have five DEs, of which the FOCS is my favorite.

Of the three BICs, my least favorite is the orange Sensitive, it is by far the least efficient. It is the only one whose blade exposure was practically neutral (evaluated visually, using a magnifying glass and straight edge). The only way to get a close shave was to use pressure and go against the grain. This caused a red patch of skin which I haven’t seen in about ten years, since my cart days. Without pressure and limiting myself to WTG and XTG passes I could achieve a presentable shave, but not a close one. Blade lasts for two to three shaves max. Did not care for this razor.

My biggest surprise was the white Original. As far as I’m concerned Bic got it right the first time. Unlike the Sensitive, the blade edge stands proud of the imaginary line drawn between the top cap and guard. I’d say I get an excellent 90-95% quality DE shave on the first shave, but the quality of the blade degrades quickly. Like the Sensitives, they are only good for at most three shaves.

The Metal is also pretty good. Its blade edge also stands proud of the guard/cap line, but I find it less efficient than the Original. I had a harder time getting a close shave compared to the Original; perhaps could have gotten better with more practice. Where this razor does shine is maneuverability; its tiny head fits easily in the base of the nostrils and the ear tragus contour (the ear hole cover flap :biggrin1:) If you laugh, don’t worry you’ll get there some day! It’s the perfect DE companion. Its blades are a bit less durable and only good for two shaves. I regretted each third shave.

Money wise, these razors cost me 40¢ each, so each shave cost 13 to 20 cents. If one were stuck buying grocery store DE blades that typically go for $1 a blade (I get 4-10 shaves a blade depending on razor) then cost/shave is 10 to 25 cents. Remarkably similar. I’m happy that we have other sources of blades at our disposal.

I’m pretty happy to have done this exercise. It’s a cheap way to compare differences in blade exposure in similar razors (Original/Sensitive) and discover a preference. My feeling now is that I should stick only with positive exposures when looking at new DEs. Ideally one that matches the Original.

I think the comparing of the Bic Originals/Sensitives could help us guide each other with razor purchases. For example someone who owns several baseplates of a razor, or different versions of the Henson, could say which version of the Bic it’s closest to. The new potential buyer would have a better idea of what to chose.

NERDY STUFF:

Price and Packaging:

-BIC Metals were found in a dollar store for $2 Canadian for a pack of 5. Bic Originals were found in a discount store also for $2/5, and the Sensitives were found on sale at a regular pharmacy for $4/10 (regular $4.89). So all razors came out to be 40¢ each.

-Bic Metals are made in Greece, and both Bic Originals and Sensitives are made in France.

-The Bic Sensitives I purchased are distributed by BIC USA INC, the Originals by BIC UK LTD and the Metals came with European packaging labeled in 11 languages.

Measurements and Description:

-all weigh 4 grams each

-All use 0.0025” thick ribbon steel as blades (typical DE blades are 0.0035-0.004” thick).

-Original and Sensitive blades are 9.8mm x 37.1mm (0.386” x 1.461”).
-Bic Metal blades are 7.14mm x 37.1mm (0.281” x 1.461”).

-Bic Metal heads are 9mm x 44mm (0.354” x 1.732”) and have a guard made of metal wire.
-Bic Sensitive heads are 14.79mm x 44mm (0.582” x 1.732”) and have a rounded plastic guard with 10 fins that run parallel to the blade.
-Bic Original heads are a tad bigger at 14.94mm x 44mm (0.588” x 1.732”) and have a more angular guard with 3 fins that run parallel to the blade.

-The Sensitive’s blade edge is pretty much in line with the imaginary line drawn between the top cap and guard.
-Both the Metal’s and Original’s blade edge is proud of the line joining the top cap and guard.

Counterfeiting:

BIC says they sell over ten million of these a day, as a result there are counterfeits out there with packaging that is practically identical. They say the fake ones’ top caps aren’t “welded” on and can easily come off, the handles are also very weak. All the ones in my possession, the top caps had to be broken off with a knife, and the handles could be folded without breakage, so they should be authentic.

Last edited:

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thanks to your review I will take a pass on the Orange Bic's. I found similar results to yours with the Bic Metal and Bic1 Original white razors, with a preference for the Original which I get at Dollar Tree, $1.28 for 5 of them, so 28 cents apiece.

~doug~

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Great review, I am a big fan of the Bic Metal. To me the Orange is clearly inferior but still gives a decent shave and I cannot recall ever trying the White version. I would certainly choose the Metal over any cartridge razor.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have some Bic Metal’s in storage, but they are two blades razors? I didn’t even know Bic Metal made a single edged disposable?

Great review, I am a big fan of the Bic Metal. To me the Orange is clearly inferior but still gives a decent shave and I cannot recall ever trying the White version. I would certainly choose the Metal over any cartridge razor.
I accidentally stumbled onto the Metals, knew the Sensitives were common, but had to dig for the whites. Some IntErNets sources said they were discontinued, luckily not true.

I have some Bic Metal’s in storage, but they are two blades razors? I didn’t even know Bic Metal made a single edged disposable?

Haven’t seen that version.

Excellent review! Thank you for the time and effort you put into this, and for the detail you provided!

I gave away my remaining BIC Metal disposables as they just did not work for me.

I have one unused BIC white handled original. I will take it out and use it to see if my opinion of the BIC white handled original changes. As you know, I consider them too aggressive for me. I recall they have been described as something like "cheese-slicer beasts" elsewhere in this B&B site. If they are good for you and others, that is absolutely fine. I am happy to hear that.

The orange-handled BIC Sensitive disposables are, I think, designed not to shave you quite as close. That being said, I still get many good (DFS) comfortable shaves, using a two pass system. However, although I have been able to get about three weeks of shaves from one orange Sensitive I have decided to cut that back to between 14 and 18 shaves per razor. As they work so well for me I stocked up with enough to last me for years, and as I am not going to run out of them there is no need for me to try to try to get more shaves out of each one than is really comfortable.

In addition I now use a BIC Twin Select Sensitive Skin Men's Disposable razor to finish under and around my nose and in and around my ears (such as the base of the nostrils and the ear tragus contour you mentioned). Those are dirt cheap and, since I don't usually shave the rest of my face with one, each one lasts a long time before I have to dispose of it. When I have used one for a full face shave it does a good job with two passes, although it is a little more difficult to clear debris from the two blades than from just the one blade of the orange-handled sensitive. The BIC Twin Select is the same size and shape as the black-handled BIC Metal but does a much better job for me than the BIC Metal. If I didn't have a preference for the BIC Sensitive I think I could use the BIC Twin Select as my daily driver without complaint.

I was especially interested in reading that "BIC says they sell over ten million of these a day, as a result there are counterfeits out there with packaging that is practically identical. They say the fake ones’ top caps aren’t 'welded' on and can easily come off, the handles are also very weak." This could account for some of the bad online reviews for the BIC Sensitive that complain of bad shaves, weak handles and heads (caps) breaking off. The real orange-handled BIC Sensitive does not have a weak handle etc. and has received good reviews (as has the BIC Metal) on B&B and online generally.

So, I have to think your experience reflects the classic advice that YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary") and reinforces my opinion that we are lucky to have such a huge selection of shaving implements available to choose from. There has to be something for everybody, even if it takes some time to find it, and what may not work for one person may be fine for someone else.

On another point though, BIC SELLS OVER TEN MILLION A DAY? Perhaps the real question for me is, WHY THE HECK DON'T I HAVE STOCK IN THAT COMPANY?!

Excellent review! Thank you for the time and effort you put into this, and for the detail you provided…

So, I have to think your experience reflects the classic advice that YMMV ("Your Mileage May Vary")…

On another point though, BIC SELLS OVER TEN MILLION A DAY? Perhaps the real question for me is, WHY THE HECK DON'T I HAVE STOCK IN THAT COMPANY?!
Thank you for the kind words.

The beauty of the Bics is that they are cheap and widely available. So if you follow a guy that has the same Bic razor preference, chances are better that you will also have a similar DE preference.

Here is the link to Bic sales and counterfeiting issue (it’s in French though):

I get my white Bic 1 razors at Dollar Tree, and they do have them online White Bic 1 razor. They are made in France, so if you are close enough to the border, maybe a side trip might be in the plans.

~doug~

Are the ones Dollar Tree sells distributed by Bic USA or Bic UK?

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Thank you for the kind words.

The beauty of the Bics is that they are cheap and widely available. So if you follow a guy that has the same Bic razor preference, chances are better that you will also have a similar DE preference.

Here is the link to Bic sales and counterfeiting issue (it’s in French though):

Are the ones Dollar Tree sells distributed by Bic USA or Bic UK?
The packaging would indicate Bic USA
20230920_121233[1].jpg
20230920_121054[1].jpg

~doug~

Brilliant thread and it’s great to have these razors tested and compared like this. With the Bic Metal I think you definitely have to apply some pressure otherwise it is indeed very inefficient. But what delighted me about them is you can apply pressure, get a properly close shave, and the shave is still very gentle - to my skin at least.

If you were testing the razors without adding pressure I wonder if you could supplement the test with some pressure added (at least for the ones with which you feel safe doing so). They are so lightweight that they can get deflected by the stubble so easily.

Love the Metal, can work with Orange but have never seen the white ones either in stores or online.

My wife found recently some 10+ year old Bic2 Sensitive in our bathroom that I tried a couple of days ago. Not as efficient as the Metal but way better than the Orange single blade.

View attachment 1720373

View attachment 1720375
I had never heard of these. I wonder if they were replaced with the BIC Twin Select Sensitive Skin Men's Disposable razor I referred to in my earlier post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom