What's new

Odd Culinary Proclivities of the Past

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I was originally going to post this in another thread, but the images I found demanded a thread of their own. In this thread we will post odd recipes of the past.

I thought at first that it was limited to spam, but soon discovered otherwise. Companies would not waste money advertising unless they projected some kind of return. The implication is that people actually read these ads, bought the products, and enjoyed (!) the recipes. Flabbergasting.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Spam 1.jpg

I love spam. It's very similar to an east coast favorite "pork roll." I fry it up for breakfast. Spam was a godsend to my parents' generation as it was meat that could be kept on the shelf when there were a lot of shortages. I've also seen people make fun of the savory gelatin dishes. As someone who is very fond of aspic, I don't understand the idea that gelatin can't be savory.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
I've never tried Spam, and I think I'm even less likely to now! :D

Good ol' SPAM!

I love spam. It's very similar to an east coast favorite "pork roll." I fry it up for breakfast. Spam was a godsend to my parents' generation as it was meat that could be kept on the shelf when there were a lot of shortages. I've also seen people make fun of the savory gelatin dishes. As someone who is very fond of aspic, I don't understand the idea that gelatin can't be savory.

TBH, I love a good SPAM musubi. I've been known to make my own versions. 🙂
I too adore spam, and have it a couple of times a month. It is just these particular...uhh, "combinations" that turn my stomach over,

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Ohhhhhh!!! Culinary atrocities? I'm in!

I've also seen people make fun of the savory gelatin dishes. As someone who is very fond of aspic, I don't understand the idea that gelatin can't be savory.

It seems here in the USA that savory gelatin dishes are fairly passe. If it is made with Spaghettios surrounding some cold wieners that would be for good reason. I'll eat more than my fair share of a good terrine.

I'm thinking this thread could be epic.

Top Bottom