What's new

Not Sold On This

New De/wet shaver. Results are horrible. Ready to go back to cartridges after dropping lots of coin.

Spent a lot of money to do this right:

Razor: Muhle R41
Blades: Feather Stainless
Brush: Muhle Rosegold Silvertip Badger
Cream: Proraso Green
Aftershave: Proraso Green
Clayware Scuttle

I just don't get it. I'm ready to go back to cartridges. Shave is terrible, face is on fire when I'm done and shave sucks. I've bought what I thought was the best stuff to make the transition. What have I done wrong? Help me keep on track here.

I would consider a few things. A comfortable shave is important, and ALTHOUGH DE shaving is incredibly cheaper, you need a good, comfortable shave. However, I don't think the investment in DE shaving is the issue, but the time in learning how to use the tools you have. I started with a Merkur 34C and found it to be fantastic. I also tried feathers in it and found they just didn't work for me. I also found that I had to work through different angles. The handle angle of the Merkur was different than that of my current razors, a Maggard V3 and a Milford. I would highly recommend going through the how to section and seeing if you missed something. Also, a good cream or soap is really important. By good, I don't mean expensive. Folks here are really good at helping people out. You could give up, but I believe you will be rewarded in the long run if you work through the process.

Edit: although I haven't tried the R41, I read just today that the R41 is fairly aggressive. A milder razor may be just the thing for you.

Last edited:
It took me a long time to learn no pressure means no pressure. Once I learned that and did it the razor burn stopped.

Thanks! I will check out the how-to section. I thought Proraso was a good soap. Am I wrong?
I've heard good things about Proraso, so it should be good to use. I would try some different soaps though to see if others work better for you. There are a lot more experienced folks here than me, so I know you will get some excellent advice.

Sounds like you have good gear. I can tell you those feathers are about the sharpest things I've put up to my face. Perhaps the combination of a slightly less sharp blade in an aggressive razor would be a better match for you?

Also, make sure you have your prep down. shave after a hot shower, it helps!

Lather properly, work on your technique and take your time. Just shaved with this razor today and had an amazing shave. Zero pressure needed with this bad boy.

One last piece of advice. If your face is chewed up, let yourself heal. You'll make it worse if you don't.

Hope that helps brother!

Last edited:
Thanks! Maybe I should try another soap/cream. Proraso might just not be right for me. I think maybe also I just need to slow down.

I, like many others started off with the merkur 34c which is a mild Shaver. The Muhle R41 is one the most aggressive razors out there and Feather blade are also considered to be one of the sharpest blades and known to not be so smooth. I started with Astra SP and still use them. Basically your pair of razor & blade is a really aggressive and might be why your getting razor burn. Maybe just switching the blade might be enough to change that or you might just need to get a milder razor. I'd recommend a 34c.

Is an R41 really a good razor for a new wet shaver? Maybe that is part of the problem, a little too aggressive.

Thanks! Since I already spent the money on the razor, do you think I'd be better off just keeping it and trying a milder blade like the Astra SP? I really don't want to buy another razor since I spent so much on the one I have.

Thanks! Since I already spent the money on the razor, do you think I'd be better off just keeping it and trying a milder blade like the Astra SP? I really don't want to buy another razor since I spent so much on the one I have.
I would keep it regardless of whether you get a Merkur 34C or not. If you do get a Merkur, keep the R41. You may find it works better down the road when you have had more experience. If you decide to get rid of the R41, perhaps you can trade it with someone who has a Merkur 34C or some other milder razor (I have no idea if they are similar in value). Also, if you haven't already, try out a variety pack of blades. I can send you a five pack of Volkhods to try, assuming you are in the States. I may have a couple others I can throw in an envelope as well. Just send me a message if you are interested.

Milder blades are definitely a good idea. Besides the Atras, other possibilities include Derby, Treet, and Voskhod.
Also, while you're getting use to things with the new razor, try not to do too many passes. For a little while, I'd recommend shaving with 2 WTG passes only. Then if you need it, you can do a WTG then XTG. Taking things slow and not trying a 3 pass shave every time really helped me and my skin out when starting DE.

One cheaper option than getting a whole razor would be to get a less aggressive razor head without the handle. Maggard's sells their V3 head and it should fit just fine onto your Muhle handle (or practically any other 3-piece razor handle).

Milder blades are definitely a good idea. Besides the Atras, other possibilities include Derby, Treet, and Voskhod.
Also, while you're getting use to things with the new razor, try not to do too many passes. For a little while, I'd recommend shaving with 2 WTG passes only. Then if you need it, you can do a WTG then XTG. Taking things slow and not trying a 3 pass shave every time really helped me and my skin out when starting DE.

One cheaper option than getting a whole razor would be to get a less aggressive razor head without the handle. Maggard's sells their V3 head and it should fit just fine onto your Muhle handle (or practically any other 3-piece razor handle).

What is WTG and XTG?

Top Bottom