What's new

Another dumb newbie question - blade life...

So, how long is a piece of string, I know...

What I'm wondering though, is, as a rank beginner, how long would you keep a blade for? I don't really care too much about cost but as I try new blades, I don't want to form an opinion on one that is more due to pushing it past its useful life than anything else. I'm using a Merkur 34c and while I've tried a few blades, I've just done my third shave with a Feather. The first one was a little bit rough, the second was amazing (albeit with a pre-shave Proraso introduced) and today I've done the same routine as the 2nd shave, but it felt a little bit tuggy. Just a bit. A couple of weepers but no big deal.

Lots of variables at play, so I thought I'd stick to the combo of Merkur + Feather + Proraso green + TOBs (various) for a bit. I normally find I can't shave two consecutive days with a Mach3 due to irritation, so today was comparatively good albeit not as close as yesterday. Face was fantastic again, but the throat was middling. I'm looking for something I can use ideally every day.

So, back to my question - is it ridiculous to think 2 and done for a Feather? I've been told by a barber I have coarse hair and I now have more than a few silver foxes in the mix...thoughts?

Thanks!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
As a newcomer, still finding your various techniques, there is a fair chance that you might render a blade ready for changing faster than someone with good established techniques. The best advise I can give you in these early stages, is that if you gat a rough shave one day, assume it might have at least partially your fault. If the next day's shave is equally bad, then ok, it might be the blade, and put in a fresh one to be sure. It doesn't matter whether that's shave three, or shave twenty three. Two consecutive poor shaves - new blade.

For what it's worth, a Feather blade with either chip out on my in under eight shaves, or it will typically go beyond thirty shaves comfortably. I have been at it a while though, and if three shaves turns out to be a sensible limit for your first few months, that's fine.

So, back to my question - is it ridiculous to think 2 and done for a Feather?

Nope. Lots of folks find Feathers 2 and done or even 1 and done. They are the sharpest blades out of the packet - but that very find edge gets chipped and deformed more easily, so they degrade quicker than other blades too. At least, that's the working theory.

I used to get 3 or 4 shaves from a Feather. Now the wiry grey hairs are taking over, it's more like 1 or 2. Comfort is key.

So, back to my question - is it ridiculous to think 2 and done for a Feather?
No Feathers have a surprisingly short life span for most. There are exceptions like 400+ shaves, but sharp on 1, sharper on 2 and done by 3 is what I usually read about them. I get a max of 3-5 out of a Feather.

But irrespective of that, I would keep using what you now have until your technique is such that you are getting consistent results. From there on you can venture out.

Enjoy!

Guido

I'm on the other side of this discussion, it's unusual for me to get less than 60 shaves out of a blade. I don't notice much degradation in sharpness for quite a while, and have found that "tuggy" blades are mostly a technique problem and not the blade for me.

Think of it this way: there is a near perfect ("ideal") angle for a razor blade to cut hair very close to the skin surface where the skin side bevel is just a few degrees above parallel to the skin so the hair doesn't drag on it as the blade cuts and the edge motion is perfectly perpendicular to the hair shaft. Obviously this never actually happens, but the closer you get the better. If the cutting angle of the edge is far from this ideal angle, you will be splitting the hair lengthwise somewhat, and that pulls. So does "flying" the edge of the blade above the skin, it really needs to be sliding along the skin surface to shave well -- this is where soap comes in, it makes the skin slick so the blade does no damage to the skin.

Aim for getting close, comfortable shaves and don't worry too much about blade life. A close, non-pulling shave every time will get you the blade life as you get better.

Another thing to watch is pressure of the razor against your face. Cartridge razors require more pressure than a DE does, and while the 23C is a mild razor, excess pressure will still irritate. Keep the edge of the blade in contact with the skin and no more, gives easier shaves. Always a problem for me because I'm ham fisted and always push to hard. Too much pressure gives you weepers, and sadly the innate response of many of us to cutting resistance at the edge (tugging) is to push down harder.

My actual advice here is to vary the angle of the razor handle to your face a little as you shave. Each blade and razor combination will have a very slightly different angle that cuts the best, and you will feel that the sensation of shaving goes from tugging to smooth back to tugging as the angle changes. Your razor won't let you change angle a huge amount due to small blade "exposure", but give it a try. I found that Big Ben blades require a very markedly different shaving angle for me in a FatBoy (also new to me) but at that steep angle give me wonderful, long lasting shaves.

Have fun with it!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
We have science to thank for the answer: the tip of the blade actually starts to chip from cutting the beard hair, albeit tiny chips.

There are two variables that immediately come to mind: different blades have different longevity (chip resistance?), and the great variety in the strength of different beard hair. Your coarse hair is going to do more damage than most of us, and it's also going to require a very sharp blade.

Feather is a very sharp blade. It's also a blade with terrible longevity and no forgiveness for beginning shaver's inconsistent razor angle. But it's a fine blade and might be your best choice. I'd definitely try Wizamet and Personna Med Prep - both nearly as sharp with much better longevity. But if the Feather is the best fit for your beard I suspect you'll be happy to pay a little more to use them.

I get two good shaves from a Feather - some shavers only get one. I get at least 4 shaves (12 passes) from many other blades.

Blades are the most YMMV aspect of ‘traditional’ wet shaving.

Some guys are ‘one and done,’ while others routinely get 100 or more shaves/blade!!

That said, for me Feathers are good for four good shaves, sometimes a few more. In contrast, my ‘top-tier’ blades, for example Personna labs or GSB, routinely deliver 7-10 fine shaves, occasionally more!!

I have been DE shaving for 2.5 months now. Started with 34C and have moved onto the Progress. I have sampled a number of blades. I have tried to see how long I can push a blade in both, but have come to the determination that for me, 3 3-pass shaves are the limit at most for a blade. Some are two. Even if I can still get a close shave at four with a blade, I develop skin irritation which doesn't make it worth pursuing. Blades are cheap. That being said, my whisker coarseness, facial structure, and skin sensitivity is unique. Some people want to push the limit of a blade and can handle it, others like me can't.

Don't shoot for a magic number of uses. Try the blade and when it is no longer comfortable to use, ditch and it put in a new one.

Feathers go for about 3-4 shaves for me, too. Everybody is a little different.

If you are just getting started with DE shaving, maybe a little milder blade would be better for learning with, up to you. Personna Comfort Coated blades (made in USA), for instance. I usually get around 7+ shaves from those.

For me I generally only use a blade 4-5 times of any brand. I also change razor at that point. I'm the sort that doesn't use any one razor, soap, brush, blade, aftershave, cologne, etc. too many times in a row. I love the variety. I use a handy-dandy phone app called Shave Buddy that I track what I use and how many times it's been used.

I do NOT track blade usage. The following is based on other blades (I don't use for Feather any more).

Once it starts to tug or I notice a subpar pass, I blame the blade and change it as I know my lather is not the issue. Yes, even midway through a pass.

If I had to guess, I get 4 shaves out of a blade. That is based on 2 passes, every other day (skip weekends) and I probably change my blade every week and a half.

The odd time, I will preemptively swap the blade for my first shave of the week on Sunday night. You can do the math if you want.

Sometimes I get more, sometimes I get less.

2-3 from any blade is not out of the ordinary. They are cheap, you don't need to use it for a month or week straight.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Feather DE blades seem to last on my beard type about 3-4 shaves, they are ground differently for sharpness but the edge is slightly weaker than other blades possibly even with a platinum coating. Feather DE blades are one of the sharpest blades out there most folks claim.

I usually keep a blade for no more than 5 shaves before changing. This goes for Feathers, Astra SPs, Nacets and Permasharps. Some get less razor time, and if a blade feels dull or tuggy straight from the wrapper, I ditch it (hello, RK blades).

With Feathers, I haven't had any issue with 5 shaves from a blade, and I've found them comfortable from the first use. The razor makes a difference: Feathers are great in my Rockwells and vintage Gillettes; not so much in the Rex Ambassador (although Permasharps and Astras are a great pairing with that razor).

As you've found, there's no One True answer. Test things out and do what works best for you!

I have been DE shaving for 2.5 months now. Started with 34C and have moved onto the Progress. I have sampled a number of blades. I have tried to see how long I can push a blade in both, but have come to the determination that for me, 3 3-pass shaves are the limit at most for a blade. Some are two. Even if I can still get a close shave at four with a blade, I develop skin irritation which doesn't make it worth pursuing. Blades are cheap. That being said, my whisker coarseness, facial structure, and skin sensitivity is unique. Some people want to push the limit of a blade and can handle it, others like me can't.

Don't shoot for a magic number of uses. Try the blade and when it is no longer comfortable to use, ditch and it put in a new one.
Thanks...How do you like the Progress razor? I'm going to stick with the 34C but the idea of dialing up sharpness appeals...

Thanks for all the responses guys, much appreciated! You're a wealth of knowledge...It's nice to actually look forward to something that's always been a bit of a chore. That might change if I settle into a routine, but for the moment, I look forward to it! I've never been good at "being in the moment" so this is me trying to do that.

Thanks...How do you like the Progress razor? I'm going to stick with the 34C but the idea of dialing up sharpness appeals...
I've only had it for a short while, but happy so far. My whiskers just needed that extra bit of gap that I can dial in and get a closer shave than the 34C.

Now I get to try all the different blades that maybe didn't impress me much again to see if they give better results.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I generally get six (head) shaves out of an Astra SP, four out of a Dorco Prime. I don't use Feathers but someone gave me 100 of them once. I keep an old half-blade shavette loaded with a half Feather, out in the kitchen where I'll use it to slash bread loaves for baking. Works like a charm, and I can get up to ten loaves out of a Feather. Just changed it yesterday, as a matter of fact...

O.H.

YMMV. I get 20+ shaves out of a Feather blade. Astra SP's: 3 shaves. Permasharps: 5-8 shaves. Wizamet Iridium: 8-10 shaves. I tried so many other blades which I didn't like and I still have a huge sampler pack I need to try out.

I can't shave everyday it will completely mess up my face. I need to wait 3-4 days before I can shave again. Maybe it's because I always go for a BBS with 3 passes. Maybe if I did a one pass shave I would be able to shave everyday but I'm addicted to the 3 pass BBS shaves.

Get some blade sample packs and try out different blades. Gillette Nacets have a great reputation here but as I never tried them out I cannot comment on them. Astra SP's even the ones which are made in India are great blades. Permasharps are Astra SP's on steroids but they cost more.

I strop all my new blades with a inexpensive blade sharpener I got on ebay. Douglas Smyth has a video on making and using a de blade strop. I find the first shave is as good as the second shave on a De blade doing this. I get four shaves out of my astra blades

Top Bottom