What's new

No more Bigelow/Proraso at Bath & Body Works!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Proraso is highly over rated. There are way too many better products to spend the rest of your shaving days trying than to waste time and money on Proraso.

I don't know. I tried Proraso for the first time about two weeks ago and I really, really love it. It's my first menthol shave cream, so that may have something to do with it.

I do feel that Proraso is a wee bit overrated. However, it is still a good cream and because it is widely available to me it is extremely popular. If Fraser's were as widely available in the states, I feel that it'd be just as if not MORE popular (considering it's superior and all :001_tt2:). I still think that Proraso is a good newbie recommendation and many well-seasoned veterans love the stuff, and I think the main attraction comes from the cooling sensation. Part of the reason AV is so popular.

If you now have to resort to ordering your shaving cream online and are looking to stay in that price range, I'd suggest Taylor's, Omega, Musgo, Speick, Valobra, J.M. Fraser's, Kiss My Face and many others I'm forgetting. Also, from what I can tell, Omega is not the same stuff. It is not the same consistency. It also provides, IMO, a shave superior to Proraso. Reading the labels, they differ in only a couple ingredients. But if you like Proraso, you will most likely love Omega.

I still havent tried the green proraso because people say the menthol and euc. are irritants yet everyone here seems fine with it so i think ill take my chances as i do love the red. that could be the lanolin and lack of so much menthol/euc. in there too.

So, where does one find this Omega cream? If I understand correctly, it is the same as the Bigelow/Proraso? I can't be without this cream!!~!

Thanks!

Stanley check out your local natural food stores. The Kiva here in Eugene stocks both the cream and the soap. It's around $6.50 For the tube of cream and just under five dollars for the soap. They also stock the omega nylon knotted shaving brushes. Shaving Essentials carries it if you want to order it online.

Clayton

I still havent tried the green proraso because people say the menthol and euc. are irritants yet everyone here seems fine with it so i think ill take my chances as i do love the red. that could be the lanolin and lack of so much menthol/euc. in there too.
I think my skin is on the sensitive side and I haven't had any irritation issues. I like the cooling sensation. Proraso isn't the greatest cream in the world, but I like it in by rotation. Its not going to replace my T&H, C&E, NB, Musgo, etc., but I like the change of pace. Especially in the summer.

I think my skin is on the sensitive side and I haven't had any irritation issues. I like the cooling sensation. Proraso isn't the greatest cream in the world, but I like it in by rotation. Its not going to replace my T&H, C&E, NB, Musgo, etc., but I like the change of pace. Especially in the summer.

I think its better than Musgo real. Musgo has no lubricity to it. Its thick but lacks something. My blade skips with it.

They may not be carrying it on the web site anymore but the local stores still have stock. Eventually they will go through a floor move and have to pull the shave cream. This will then be sent to the B&BW outlet stores where most of the discontinued scents/products go and it will most likely cost around $3.99-4.99 once it gets there. I will keep my eye out for it :wink:

They may not be carrying it on the web site anymore but the local stores still have stock. Eventually they will go through a floor move and have to pull the shave cream. This will then be sent to the B&BW outlet stores where most of the discontinued scents/products go and it will most likely cost around $3.99-4.99 once it gets there. I will keep my eye out for it :wink:
Its gone from 2 local stores I've been into. Some stores might have some leftover stock to put into an outlet, but I'll bet it won't be much. It think it is slowly selling out from most regular stores.

i just bought two tubes for me and one for a friend (i converted him)
and i mentioned to the clerk that i heard about them discontinuing it,
and she said that she hadnt heard anything on that topic,
and that it wasnt on their "discontinued list"

she also said that they never used to sell any, and in the past two weeks they have been selling a ton

I went into my local B&BW store here in Pittsburgh this afternoon. The sales clerk had not heard of any sort of discontinuance; in fact they were planning a major store promotion of the Bigelow products in a couple of weeks. The shave cream sells like gangbusters apparently. Women buy the stuff as well.

I just went to my local Bath & Body works and they had like 10 boxes of Bigelow and the (hot looking) gal that was helping me said she had not heard of Bigelow being pulled at this time.

The day after reading the bad news I went to the B&BW in El Cajon CA. They had plenty so I bought six tubes. That should last for a while. One of the sales associates had heard that it was being phased out, and that at the semi annual sale it would be available at a discount.
I’ve been using a brush since I was sixteen, but all the soaps and creams available to me then were junk. Proraso, from Target, was the first cream that I used that didn’t suck. I love the smell and the cooling effect. I’ve used some that are better since, but Proraso will have a place in my heart and my cabinet because it was first. I imagine that is the case for many. When I get flak from guys who don’t understand wet-shaving, I give them a decant of Proraso, they always love it.
Doug

I do feel that Proraso is a wee bit overrated. However, it is still a good cream and because it is widely available to me it is extremely popular. If Fraser's were as widely available in the states, I feel that it'd be just as if not MORE popular (considering it's superior and all :001_tt2:). I still think that Proraso is a good newbie recommendation and many well-seasoned veterans love the stuff, and I think the main attraction comes from the cooling sensation. Part of the reason AV is so popular.

If you now have to resort to ordering your shaving cream online and are looking to stay in that price range, I'd suggest Taylor's, Omega, Musgo, Speick, Valobra, J.M. Fraser's, Kiss My Face and many others I'm forgetting. Also, from what I can tell, Omega is not the same stuff. It is not the same consistency. It also provides, IMO, a shave superior to Proraso. Reading the labels, they differ in only a couple ingredients. But if you like Proraso, you will most likely love Omega.

To me JM Frasier's smells like Pine-Sol.

YUCK! :frown:

I just picked up 3 tubes on Ebay for $8 shipped b/c the guy put it under bigelow instead of proraso. Sucks for him but he didnt need them. 4 Atlanta stores are completely sold out. Dont know why it took so long for alot of people to realize that this stuff is proraso:) BTW you can pick up proraso on EBAY for $7.99 plus s/h cheapest price around for proraso.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
I don't think Proraso is over hyped. That's your opinion. I think it works great and its relatively inexpensive. Other people must like it too because I don't hear many talking badly about it.

No, that isn't just my opinion. It is a factual statement that it was recently one of the most available lathering creams in the U.S. Because of this it gets a lot of attention on the forums. It is or was the first cream for many new wet shavers. So because so many of us have a tube of Proraso it gets talked about a lot. Therefore it is over hyped compared to a lot of other equally or better performing products.

If you don't see many talking badly about it, it's probably because they just got tired of posting in the Proraso threads or you just haven't read some of the Proraso haters threads. Don't get me wrong, it is a fine product for many shavers, it just seems to have a love it or hate it appeal. Like I said earlier, I sometimes like to temper the hype in a Proraso thread, I don't necessarily hate it.

I don't know. I tried Proraso for the first time about two weeks ago and I really, really love it. It's my first menthol shave cream, so that may have something to do with it.

If you like it that's great. I just think it is too numbing and doesn't lubricate as well as I like, but is not the worst product I have used.

No, that isn't just my opinion. It is a factual statement that it was recently one of the most available lathering creams in the U.S. Because of this it gets a lot of attention on the forums. It is or was the first cream for many new wet shavers. So because so many of us have a tube of Proraso it gets talked about a lot. Therefore it is over hyped compared to a lot of other equally or better performing products.

If you don't see many talking badly about it, it's probably because they just got tired of posting in the Proraso threads or you just haven't read some of the Proraso haters threads. Don't get me wrong, it is a fine product for many shavers, it just seems to have a love it or hate it appeal. Like I said earlier, I sometimes like to temper the hype in a Proraso thread, I don't necessarily hate it.

If you like it that's great. I just think it is too numbing and doesn't lubricate as well as I like, but is not the worst product I have used.
Where is this published so I can read it? You're just coming across kind of heavy when you say things like "overrated" and "over hyped". No matter how you quantify it that is a personal opinion and not fact. This is supposed to be a friendly board to discuss shaving. If folks are talking about something then I guess that's what they feel like talking about. Its like you're personally annoyed that people are discussing where they can buy Proraso. I haven't been a member here that long, but I don't remember people talking that much about Proraso until recently and that was only because they sold it as COB at B&BW. I've noticed product buzz on this board comes and goes, but it never annoys me. That's the reason I come because you guys are passionate about shaving.

Went to B&BW in the forum shops in caesar's palace in las vegas this weekend. They might still have a few tubes left in stock but I only saw 5 and picked up 3 of them.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Where is this published so I can read it? You're just coming across kind of heavy when you say things like "overrated" and "over hyped". No matter how you quantify it that is a personal opinion and not fact. This is supposed to be a friendly board to discuss shaving. If folks are talking about something then I guess that's what they feel like talking about. Its like you're personally annoyed that people are discussing where they can buy Proraso. I haven't been a member here that long, but I don't remember people talking that much about Proraso until recently and that was only because they sold it as COB at B&BW. I've noticed product buzz on this board comes and goes, but it never annoys me. That's the reason I come because you guys are passionate about shaving.

Now you are just being ridiculous. You can view all the same threads that I can it is not a secret. I am not annoyed that some people like Proraso, that's their prerogative. Maybe I don't use enough smilies in my posts, so if I have offended you it was not intended.

I do however get annoyed at seeing countless chicken little posts about Proraso or COB not being available at the XYZ mart. So if I appear like a grumpy old man I guess that is probably why.

As a side note, I am probably not in a very good mood due to the two weekends of moving I have been doing, so I'm sorry I got under your skin. I'll try to be more humorous next time I get on the anti Proraso band wagon. Especially since it used to be quite fun to kibitz back and forth about it and a few others in the "Proraso Haters Club" would join in.

Proraso smells like medicine :001_tongu

Just get ya some Taylor's, J.M. Fraser's, Musgo or the like. KMF might even be at your local health food store.

Why are threads getting so ridiculous now? If you have tried any higher end creams and still prefer Proraso, you have a very unique sense of taste. The cooling is nice, though. There's a myriad of better choices. I can see why someone new to wetshaving would like it, but it's only the beginning of a greater good :).

Now you are just being ridiculous. You can view all the same threads that I can it is not a secret. I am not annoyed that some people like Proraso, that's their prerogative. Maybe I don't use enough smilies in my posts, so if I have offended you it was not intended.

I do however get annoyed at seeing countless chicken little posts about Proraso or COB not being available at the XYZ mart. So if I appear like a grumpy old man I guess that is probably why.

As a side note, I am probably not in a very good mood due to the two weekends of moving I have been doing, so I'm sorry I got under your skin. I'll try to be more humorous next time I get on the anti Proraso band wagon. Especially since it used to be quite fun to kibitz back and forth about it and a few others in the "Proraso Haters Club" would join in.
I think you've just been in a bad mood brother. I'm kinda tired of talking about it anyway.

Top Bottom