What's new

No more Bigelow/Proraso at Bath & Body Works!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Proraso is highly over rated. There are way too many better products to spend the rest of your shaving days trying than to waste time and money on Proraso.
Besides the fact that it seems to work well enough for most people, Proraso's price/performance ratio was really quite good, not many others are quite as economical aside from KMF (less expensive) and Taylor (slightly more expensive depending on the seller). For the frugal shavers, or newbies that aren't quite ready to commit $30+ dollars for a high end cream it was a really good recommendation, and having it available locally just sealed the deal. Between this and Target, the stuff just can't seem to catch a break.

B&BW always does this kind of stuff. They discontinued what I think was a great aftershave balm Dr. Galen aftershave lotion sensitive. Sounds like the same song & dance (we're bringing in "fresher" products) that Target gave for discontinuing proraso.

Nope, now it's down to burma brushes, williams soap, and possibly KMF as the last decent, relatively easy to obtain shave products. I'd list Toms shaving creams as well, but they actually seem tougher to find than KMF.

Maybe w/all this "green" hoopla, Walmart will start carrying Toms shaving cream since they already carry the rest of the line.

Anthony Logistics is OK for a summer alternative. Although it's "unscented," one of the ingredients is mint, so you'll notice that, but the scent does not last. It works fine with a brush. I've had the same tube for over a year, mostly sitting on the shelf, because I prefer everything else I have a little more.

As for BB&W's crime, I guess they just don't want my money.

I see it from both ends. Working in retail for three years, I see the retail side. Just because a handful of store sell it well, doesn't make it economical to stock company wide. Sometimes good selling stores have to suffer due to general company wide sluggish sales. It's unfair to the consumer in certain instances, plain and simple. But, it's a retail fact of life.

That is sad news. Oh the other hand, COBigelow still carries a decent stock of Trumper's shave creams....Violet and rose are my faves.

I'm glad I was able to use two of the coupons a while back to get four tubes at half the price. I hate to here they are not carring it any more.

Eddie

Link to said coupon?? Or was it paper only??
That came and went, sorry. My take on the B&BW/COB/Proraso is, and this is only a hypothesis, they might have had an arrangement to make only so many units for COB and when they sold them that was it. I'm guessing some may find it here and there until whatever store stock is left is gone. It may have to do more with Proraso and COB than B&BW. Did it sell better or worse than they thought? Who knows. Perhaps it'll pop up again, but I kinda doubt it. This is why I told people last month to watch out for this cream not being around long. B&BW's habit of cycling non-B&BW products is well known. I suppose when these 2 tubes are drained I'll have to order the Proraso green like everyone else. It doesn't bug me too much. I'm glad I was able to pick some up and try it. Now at least I know I like it and won't fear buying online.

For those looking for a credible replacement in local Brick and Mortar stores, the Real Shaving Moisturizing formula is very nice. No menthol/euc, but very nice.

Yea, I just saw it at Rite Aid. That's big news, to have a decent shaving cream available a couple minutes from my house. I'm curious about it, but I'll probably wait until one of my KMF tubes is exhausted..

-Mason

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Besides the fact that it seems to work well enough for most people, Proraso's price/performance ratio was really quite good, not many others are quite as economical aside from KMF (less expensive) and Taylor (slightly more expensive depending on the seller). For the frugal shavers, or newbies that aren't quite ready to commit $30+ dollars for a high end cream it was a really good recommendation, and having it available locally just sealed the deal. Between this and Target, the stuff just can't seem to catch a break.

You kind of sum up the whole point I have tried to make. Because it has been so widely distributed and easy to get, many have migrated to it for that simple reason. However, if availability is one's main concern try Pinaud Clubman shave cream available at Sally Beauty Supply.

If you have to resort to ordering, then the sky is the limit. As far as price goes you don't have to spend $30 to get a good product. Colonel Conk shaving soaps are about $3.50 each. Arko is only $2.59 a tube from Tulumba.com and is a great performer for very little money.

Yes, I like the high end stuff and spend a fair amount for good shaving soap and occasionally creams, but that is not why I am often critical of Proraso. I just think it is over hyped and that is more than just my opinion. If Proraso was never available at Target it would be just another average shaving product and would not be getting nearly the amount of attention that it gets.

Since joining B&B I have had a whole new world of shaving products revealed to me that I never knew existed. I spent nearly 20 years only using Colonel Conk almond shave soap and was getting tired of it. So sometimes I take the opportunity to jump in on a "Where's the Proraso!?" thread to point out that it's just shaving cream and there are many others to play with.

YMMV, yadah yadah yadah, don't fall in love with your shaving cream because it won't love you back.

Target was good for Proraso's business, no doubt. Proraso was the first cream I bought when I joined. I liked it enough that I finished the tube, but there's just so many different products out there that I decided to not get another tube and to keep trying other things.

To me, the value in Proraso was that I could get it locally and it is a pretty decent product. Maybe not the best (what is?), but certainly not the worst. I did enjoy using it. Folks around here are pretty familiar with the product, so if I was having troubles I would have been able to get some help.

I don't think Proraso is over hyped. That's your opinion. I think it works great and its relatively inexpensive. Other people must like it too because I don't hear many talking badly about it.

I was in a Bath & Body works today that is in a shopping center that just had its grand opening yesterday. No sign of the Bigelow cream in their single bookcase thing that was dedicated to men's products.

I called my B&BW store this morning and spoke the clerk. She said they had plenty in stock and offered to hold a few for me. Since I work across the street from them I'll go by next week and pick a few tubes.

Well, I had to go pick some up after hearing this. I know it's easily available online, but it was nice to be able to actually purchase something in a brick&mortar for a change. Oh, well...

Dave

Top Bottom