What's new

The Tyranny of Choice

Ive started shaving in around "19 " 20 (yes im just a kid by the forums standards :) my first razor was a gcheaper gillette cartridge razor with changable heads and shave gell. Ive used this set up for a couple of years and even tho i never really cut myself baddly or had bumps or burns ive always hated shaving. The blade tugged and the proccesd felt like a chore. One of these days around 2-3 months ago i got fed up with it and impulsively bought a cheap wilkinson classic plastic d.e. razor. The experience was better and i slowly expanded my kit by first buing a cheap grocery store brush and a localy made soap Barbus. When i added the final touch of localy made grocry store after shave and Eau-de-cologne ive fallen in love with the procces. I love to shave nowadays and im actually eager to do it. The thing became a ritual of sorts. The internet and the shave forums opened an eon of possibilities abd ive often caught myself staring hungrilly at soaps, razors etcetera and had to fkrbid myself from wasting money. I try to keep things minimal my set consisting of one soap 2 razors (one bought and an inherited gillette Slim from "64) 2 colognes, 2 aftershaves an alum stick and several blades. The only thing i allow myself to buy in healthy amounts even tho i have them are blades. Imo blades are worth to experiment with and im lucky to have them sold in local stores.
Thanks for reading gents!

I agree with the overall premise that we often have a lot of shaving gear we don't need.

I grew up in India in the 90s. No internet, no cell phones. There was practically no choice with shaving either. I started with some unbranded, plastic razor and canned goo. I also tried cartridges for a while. I used them during my university days. My dad taught me how to use them and passed down his shaving wisdom. At that time shaving was not that big a deal or important to me. I also read somewhere that using razors causes the skin to become thicker, darker and grow hair faster. Believing this myth, I switched to a Philips electric trimmer that I bought off my own money which I used for a decade. Since it was a trimmer and I always had some stubble but I was happy with that too.

Now after over a decade I'm switching to DE razors for various reasons. There is now far more choice relatively speaking (but still nothing compared to what is available in US/EU/Canada). I didn't know metal razors were a thing until recently. I didn't know shaving soap were a thing till recently. Back then there were only a couple of creams and canned foam (at least I or anyone I knew didn't know of anything else). I didn't know anything besides butterfly razors existed (never seen 2/3 piece razors) till recently.

So this is a whole new world of shaving for me and it is the time in my life where I can afford this hobby to a small extent. I see it as a hobby and I'm so grateful for having this opportunity now. I'm not under any illusion that a more expensive setup will give me better shaves. However, it is fun to experiment and getting to knowing all the nuances first hand.

There is still a strong urge to get by with only what is essential.

I know I don't need a metal razor, let alone CNC'ed stuff. I can shave with unbranded plastic razor and canned goo if I have to, but this hobby brings me some litte joy and relaxation in an otherwise challenging life.

My realisation is that true happiness can never come from outside oneself -- be it material possessions, hobbies, people or even intimate relationships. True happiness is far deeper and intimate, a constant, spiritual work-in-progress.

Peace x3 🙏

I agree with the overall premise that we often have a lot of shaving gear we don't need.

I grew up in India in the 90s. No internet, no cell phones. There was practically no choice with shaving either. I started with some unbranded, plastic razor and canned goo. I also tried cartridges for a while. I used them during my university days. My dad taught me how to use them and passed down his shaving wisdom. At that time shaving was not that big a deal or important to me. I also read somewhere that using razors causes the skin to become thicker, darker and grow hair faster. Believing this myth, I switched to a Philips electric trimmer that I bought off my own money which I used for a decade. Since it was a trimmer and I always had some stubble but I was happy with that too.

Now after over a decade I'm switching to DE razors for various reasons. There is now far more choice relatively speaking (but still nothing compared to what is available in US/EU/Canada). I didn't know metal razors were a thing until recently. I didn't know shaving soap were a thing till recently. Back then there were only a couple of creams and canned foam (at least I or anyone I knew didn't know of anything else). I didn't know anything besides butterfly razors existed (never seen 2/3 piece razors) till recently.

So this is a whole new world of shaving for me and it is the time in my life where I can afford this hobby to a small extent. I see it as a hobby and I'm so grateful for having this opportunity now. I'm not under any illusion that a more expensive setup will give me better shaves. However, it is fun to experiment and getting to knowing all the nuances first hand.

There is still a strong urge to get by with only what is essential.

I know I don't need a metal razor, let alone CNC'ed stuff. I can shave with unbranded plastic razor and canned goo if I have to, but this hobby brings me some litte joy and relaxation in an otherwise challenging life.

My realisation is that true happiness can never come from outside oneself -- be it material possessions, hobbies, people or even intimate relationships. True happiness is far deeper and intimate, a constant, spiritual work-in-progress.

Peace x3 🙏
👍

I certainly enjoy your posts as I am of the same generation.
I'll be 72 in June and retired 10 years. Didn't even want to retire, but after 40 years as a farrier, my body said quit, or you'll be in a wheelchair. Even after 8 orthopedic surgeries, my standard line is "I'm in better shape than two 36 year olds".
I'm thankful I was taught delayed gratification by my parents and have benefited from it in many of the same ways you have.

Maybe things are too fast and furious nowadays for old fashioned life lessons.
If so, to those I say, knock yourself out, I'm glad I grew up when I did.

I certainly enjoy your posts as I am of the same generation.
I'll be 72 in June and retired 10 years. Didn't even want to retire, but after 40 years as a farrier, my body said quit, or you'll be in a wheelchair. Even after 8 orthopedic surgeries, my standard line is "I'm in better shape than two 36 year olds".
I'm thankful I was taught delayed gratification by my parents and have benefited from it in many of the same ways you have.

Maybe things are too fast and furious nowadays for old fashioned life lessons.
If so, to those I say, knock yourself out, I'm glad I grew up when I did.
👍

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
The wastefulness of disposable blades and the wastefulness of grinding down sharpening stones beyond flattening. Guess I saw a parallel that isn’t there.
Thom, I enjoyed the humor.... Perhaps our senses of humor are on the odd side... but I find pleasure in that sort of thing..

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I don't seem to be frugal with my hobbies... What can I say? Wet shaving is the least expensive hobby I've ever had. I have never had many over the years... Wildlife photography is still the most expensive interest I've ever had.

That said... I was a carpenter for about 1/3 of my working career... I do have a lot of tools.. hand and power. Those don't come cheap.... or at least, what I bought over the years were not cheap.

Top Bottom