What's new

Newbie Blade talk

I read a lot of DE threads and I copied a few favorites of the shave masters here. That worked well... and actually, continues to work as I got to know people who have the same whiskers, skin sensitivity, etc. with whom I have razors in common.... and the blades that work for them also work for me.
I think when I started not too long ago, I decided it was too easy just to get caught up in what everyone is using, and I deliberately picked less popular value brands to buy to buck the trend. Over time, I realized that the popular blades are popular because they perform for a wide variety of people and they are easy to find. And there's nothing wrong with that.

When I started 12 or so years ago, I bought one razor and several sample packs. I used each blade until it wasn't fun to shave with anymore. Kept a log book or diary to chronicle the process. Learned technique and blade reaction to me. The engineer in me knew to only change one variable at a time.

After this long process I felt I could stock up on blades I like and then experimented with different razors.

What did I learn? For me most blades work for at least three days, some up to five. Some razors are unforgiving (pre 2014 Fatip Grande) and a few don't work well in the area under my nose. Some blades just aren't efficient for me.

The fun is in the chase. I'm still going through sample packs even though I have a good supply of go to blades.

Top Bottom