What's new

Newbie Here! 1st questions.

That Henson is a very very light razor. I use a Feather ASD2 everyday, a couple of times I've tried the wifes Henson and because of its lightness against my face I had to be very mindful not to use pressure. I never had a problem and was surprised by the nice outcome.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
I am an engineer, a professional troubleshooter. If I am working on a machine that is not functioning properly and I change out two parts at the same time and then the machine works again, I will never know which of the two parts we changed fixed the problem. As a result I missed the opportunity to learn something for the future.

That is why we only change one variable when making a change to our shaving process. So, we know what caused the resulting change in the outcome. Very, basic yet very easy to pass up.

Welcome to B & B from another newer member.
Design of Experiments, yeah? I’m a degreed Mechanical Engineer; I lived and breathed “one variable at a time” for longer than I care to remember.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Welcome to B&B, we're glad you're here.

Do you have the wrong pairing, or the wrong blade, or the wrong razor? Maybe.

You should probably start with this: blood doesn't come from equipment, only incorrect technique. I will readily admit that the wrong equipment will be less tolerant of incorrect technique. Too aggressive paired with too sharp is an excellent way to reduce your chances of a bloodless shave - which should happen most of the time once you get past the first month or two.

I would suggest using the 34C for a while, with the goal of bloodless shaves - not BBS. I would suggest starting with only WTG passes for a short time - a couple of WTG passes should be fine. Use less pressure - a lot less, and concentrate on razor angle with short strokes. With just WTG passes you may well be a little disappointed in your results - it's only temporary, and you can even do it every day. Be nice to yourself.

After a few good days (2, 3? you decide) add the XTG pass. When that's going well you can add the XTG pass if you wish.

Blades: you won't know until you try them. Get a small pile and use each one long enough to know if you like it. There are occasionally blades with a bad edge - if it feels terrible stop mid-stroke and change it for the next one in the pack. If that one feels terrible put those away for another try many months from now.

When things are going pretty well you can trot out the Henson and see how it feels. It might be perfect at that point and it might still be the wrong razor. There's no way to know unless you try.

All the best in your new journey.

Welcome to B&B, we're glad you're here.

Do you have the wrong pairing, or the wrong blade, or the wrong razor? Maybe.

You should probably start with this: blood doesn't come from equipment, only incorrect technique. I will readily admit that the wrong equipment will be less tolerant of incorrect technique. Too aggressive paired with too sharp is an excellent way to reduce your chances of a bloodless shave - which should happen most of the time once you get past the first month or two.

I would suggest using the 34C for a while, with the goal of bloodless shaves - not BBS. I would suggest starting with only WTG passes for a short time - a couple of WTG passes should be fine. Use less pressure - a lot less, and concentrate on razor angle with short strokes. With just WTG passes you may well be a little disappointed in your results - it's only temporary, and you can even do it every day. Be nice to yourself.

After a few good days (2, 3? you decide) add the XTG pass. When that's going well you can add the XTG pass if you wish.

Blades: you won't know until you try them. Get a small pile and use each one long enough to know if you like it. There are occasionally blades with a bad edge - if it feels terrible stop mid-stroke and change it for the next one in the pack. If that one feels terrible put those away for another try many months from now.

When things are going pretty well you can trot out the Henson and see how it feels. It might be perfect at that point and it might still be the wrong razor. There's no way to know unless you try.

All the best in your new journey.
Thank you very much!

Top Bottom