What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in the GRUME , 1 day of growth

June GRUME : 17
2023 GRUYERE : 100

Razor : Merkur Progress 510 setting 1
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (2)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Godrej Cinthol
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: Osma Alum Block, Green Freeze Bootleg, Proraso White balm

Well I had to have that 100th shave of the year somehow, the result is tepid just like the temp out of the spigot here in Texas lately .

Off of work tomorrow so no shave

I have fallen.

My son was not well and I went to the chemist to get some cold and flu medication. While wandering through they had King C Gillette packs of 10 blades half price. Never having seen these blades on special I grabbed the last box. Completely forgot about GRUME until I was leaving the store.

I also received some blades from the Great Blade Exchange this week.

Happy to have made it this far on my first GRUME and happy that all I have puchased this month is one discounted box of 10 blades.

Well done to all still in.
Back-to-back losses - whoof! Hope your son is feeling better, and we'll be here next month. I hope to see you in that thread, too!

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - Forever?, SOTMC
2) @Chef455 - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
3) @mr_eleven
4) Multum in parvo - out (6/8: FOMOWiza)
5) @Roedeer
6) Wgg2017 - out (6/2: NOSSR)
7) @LJBraaten - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
8) @The Blackadder
9) @JAHE - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
10) @silverlifter
11) @hopper_64
12) GuidoTheGhost75
13) @iver
14) @Balin - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
15) PersistentlyBlunt - out (6/28: Blades)
16) @JWCowboy
17) @tjsgarden - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
18) @La Malice - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
19) @V12Stu
20) @Beto Salatini
21) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
22) FL shaver - out (6/10: MWF experiment)
23) ChriWilson - SOTMC - out (6/7: Kents)
24) @den fly
25) Trollky - out (6/5: Scuttle & Soap*)
26) @sandorfi - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
27) @Doti B
28) TOVT - out (6/7: Blackbird)
29) @Jack Goossen
30) @elmo_koffman - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
31) @Abz88
32) @Eshebert
33) Ribitski23 - out (6/28: Antiques)
34) Jayson74 - out (6/10: Karve)
35) @Contact_vs_Feedback - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.

Day 28, 93.3% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Leaf Twig, half Astra SP #3
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

It was the Rockwell's turn, but I wanted to see if the Twig improvements would hold. Made a perfectly hydrated MWF bowl-lather, with 2 drops of extra glycerine.

Had a slow, methodical shave with all my usual passes. No fresh midgie bites (so a clear run, with no risk of planing the top off one).

Managed to get the left side of my neck under my chin as good as the right side — that's not something I can do ten times out of ten with the DEs.

Overall, a comfortable near-BBS.

While wandering through they had King C Gillette packs of 10 blades half price. Never having seen these blades on special I grabbed the last box. Completely forgot about GRUME until I was leaving the store.

They are very good, but overpriced, so congratulations on getting some reduced.

IMHO, this is the most maneuverable razor I own. It thrives when using no pressure strokes and was made for the Gillette Slide technique. It's not a daily razor but every time I use it, it is an enjoyable experience

Apart from using the same blade stash, it's a different experience from any of my DEs.

The shave geometry is like using an "open source" cartridge, where you pick your favourite cheap sliver of steel, instead of paying a king's ransom to some cartel for their ready-made carts.

Most (all?) of the carts are multi-bladed, and this has the huge advantage of a single blade, so you can line it up precisely.

OK, the blade-snapping is a bit of an initiation rite (and one you need to do, as the supplied ½ blades were not great), but for anyone trying to get away from carts or disposables, this ought to be on their radar.

Maybe I should suggest it in the newbie forum...

Last edited:
Date
365 daily shaves
184/365
GRUME June
26/30
SOTMC
29/30
High Efficiency June
29/30
Blade Biter’s Archive2/32
Consistency Shaves100%

RazorBladeBrush
Matador Deluxe with Lasta Lavender HandleDorco Prime (1)Simpson T3
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso GreenCold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
7/10 (~25 m)8/10 (some razor burn)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10 (DFS++)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

General - super shave with excellent results. Need to pay attention to overshaving with this blade.

For extended shave notes click here.

Good deal @PersistentlyBlunt ! I got mine relatively cheap early on during the Dutch introduction. So I stocked up big time. They are fanatic blades! Just ridiculously expensive.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in

R41 HD
Crystal (6)
Yaqi Moka Express
Godrej
Floid

IMG-DSC_5445 (2).JPG

Cheers :)

Razor: Gem Pushbutton
Blade: Personna Gem PTFE (2nd)
Soap: EJ Pomegranate and Limes (SOTM)
Brush: Parker Synth
Bowl: Pereira
AS: Omega Alum Stick
AS Balm: Geo. F. Trumper Limes Skin food

Minor neck irriatation that went away in an hour or so. Tried ATG pass on consecutive days to see if the Gem was any different than when I do so with DE. Its pretty much the same. I'll give the ATG a rest for a couple days. Still, a good close shave, no nicks, a DFS. Going to continue with the Gem for the next several shaves.

SOTD JUNE 28th
June 2023 GRUME

Hello friends

Winter is still sunny around here. So I chose the wonderful Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper which made a phenomenal lather with my Omega 48 Pro, the best $10 I've ever spent. Rockwell 6C (6/5/5), Gillette Nacet (3) and Floïd The Genuine completed this morning of dreams.

Along with us, Tony Bennett and Bill Evans, Together Again.

Rating: 9

Have a nice day and great shaves.
❤️🪒

View attachment 1678147View attachment 1678148
Didn't realize Bill Evans cut an album with Tony. It must be something great.

Last shave of the month, still in and once again grume completion (no time to order anything, we're off to a music festival this weekend).

18th succesfull grume in a row :velva2:

Muhle R41 + Gillette old style top cap
Personna Lab Blue (2)
Anbbas synth brush
Extro Cosmesi 17 Stormo (SOTM)
Nivea sensitive ASB
Brut Musk EdT

After two terrible shaves, today I got a quick CCS+ during my early town day routine. (Tech and Feather.)

Observations on my SE GEM/Persona PTFE blades. I’ve gone through four now. The first two gave me 15-16 good shaves, the other two 10 shaves. The first two I scrubbed with soap and a soft toothbrush after every shave, then rinsed in alcohol and towel dried. Occasionally I leg stropped them while shaving. The second set I usually skipped the alcohol rinse, and I started aggressively stropping them after a few shaves. The last two attempts I tried honing them. Worst. Shave. Ever. Even my 1901 Star wedge blade gave me a better shave. Lesson: I can’t resharpen GEMs like I can Feathers. Attempts to maintain a keen edge by stropping only dulls them. (Some claim this about all blades.)

Terrific Thursday!
Still In GRUME & GRUYERE

1688059697282.jpeg

Hey Guys
We have family from North Carolina with us this week. The Louisiana clan are gathering this evening to celebrate family together.
On to the shave...The "BIG" Bruce is the largest and softest synthetic brush I own. It has just enough backbone to provide a luxurious lathering experience. I am almost persuaded to identify as a face latherer. I haven't used a bowl in over a couple weeks. The Harris soap is super slick and the Krona is almost perfect in the efficiency/comfort design.
Enjoyment/Comfort: 10+/10
Efficiency: 9.8
Please take care of yourself and each other.

Day 30 and another GRUME successfully completed! I won't be signing up for July as I am planning on grabbing some Vigoroso and Cypress & Vetyver before the stocks disappear forever. So I will wish you all the best, trust that your resolve will remain strong, and see you all in August. 🖖

Shave #19
- Still Out -

• AOS Bourbon - SOTM
  • Simpson’s M6 - Sovereign
  • Muhle R89
  • Lord Super Chrome (5)
  • Kiehl's Blue Astringent
  • Stirling's Glacial Unscented Splash
  • SV Cubebe Splash
A late afternoon shave, but the menthol kick is very well received.
By all accounts this should be my final shave this month and will anxiously await my reentry into GRUME for July :001_wub:

Day 29, 96.7% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Al handle, Astra SP #7
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

Chose the Rockwell for a relaxing near-BBS, and it did the job. I don't suppose it's balanced with a 23g handle, but it's a lot more agile than with the original.

Last edited:
Date
365 daily shaves
185/365
GRUME June
27/30
SOTMC
30/30
High Efficiency June
30/30
Blade Biter’s Archive2/32
Consistency Shaves100%

RazorBladeBrush
Fatip Piccolo GentileDorco Prime (2)Omega Roma
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso GreenCold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
7/10 (DFS)10/10 (GlideFest)

Notes to this shave:

Tomorrow we start with a clean slate. Congrats to all who successfully completed June!! See you in the new thread tomorrow!

General - good shave with good results. Today the Gentile was just a bit too gentle/mild for a truly smooth result. No nicks, weepers or anything so that’s a plus.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom