What's new

March 2024 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in.

IMG_2814.jpeg

March GRUME 2024 27/31
1948 Gillette Super Speed• Shark Super Stainless(2)• RE Heritage• Brüt EDT• Semogue 2000 Boar• Details.

That’s going to be an awesome trip!
My late brother-in-law gifted me a Balvenie about ten years ago. I’m going to open it when his oldest niece graduates university.
When my son was born - 19 years ago - my cousin gave me a bottle of Macallan. The taste was a bit sharp for me, but we, with help from my dad and uncle, got through about half of the bottle. Then I put it away, and didn't get back to it for another 14 or 15 years. It had mellowed in the best way possible and was absolutely delicious. Given where the Balvenie starts in the tasting spectrum, I expect that bottle should be amazing!

Desperate times part deux. Hotel shower shave with an unused disposable. This had been one of four disposables left behind by my father in law when he passed on in late 2019, three were new.

Razor: Gillette two blade disposable (≈ Trac II?)
Soap: hotel shampoo and conditioner
Passes: two plus touch up
Rating: BBS (9.9999999999)

Best fast shave in a while, must be strong!

Day 29, 93.5% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat (Tallow)
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Ti Handle, Boots #1
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

I used the Rockwell for a change. The Boots blade is a rebadged Personna. After using Astras, it didn't feel as smooth, but provided an effective DFS.

I love the GRUME experience and I'll join again for sure. I can only recommend any DE shaving newbies to join a GRUME because it enforces the most commonly given Newbie advice: to stick with the equipment you have and work on technique, rather than introducing ever more variables into the shaving experience.

@m949, a very thoughtful post, and I think you are right about the newbie advice.

I had to quote you manually because my latest Linux upgrades seem to have messed up the B&B +Quote thing.

Last edited:
Still in GRUYERE 🙏🏽

I have found a rythm now: beard shave every other day, head shave once a week.
The excellent PAA Prismatic is used all the time now. Hard to believe this razor is not among the most popular razors. Must be the fact that it is one of the cheapest you can buy. If quality of shave and use would be the criterium, this one would always be in the absolute top. This tells me our community is partly driven by hypes and other irrational impulses. No problem whatsoever, it is just an observation.
It appears the 7 o'clock yellow is the perfect match for the Prismatic. For my stubble, that is. Gave the Gillette Rubie another try, but that blade must hate me. And I hate it back, just like the hailed Irridium.

Enjoy, brethren 🙏🏽

Date30.03.2024
366 daily shaves
090/366

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaShark Chrome (6)Zenith 502B XSE
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Mike’s Natural Soaps Barbershop (71)
Cold splash
Proraso Green
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Process Quality
(details here)
Blade Sharpness
10/10 (Clean)5/10 (Razor Sharp)
EffectivenessShave Comfort
9.25/10
(BBS+)
9/10 (Butterysmooth)

Notes:

Almost done!

Summary. The final shaves of March and what a shave today. Glorious performance by all parties.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Top Bottom