What's new

December 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Day 29, 93.5% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Palmolive Stick, made into a puck
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Rockwell 6S R5, Al Handle, Astra SP #8
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Balm

Used the Palmolive for a change, plus a few drops of glycerine. Love the authentic scent! The in-shave performance is very good, and I got a comfortable DFS. The post-shave tends to be dry with this (though not as much as ARKO), and I think the glycerine helps.

Still in, still using the GEM PTFE SE blade. Once again, I save the best for last, my Gem Junior 1912 series. I don’t know how it would be possible to create a better SE razor. Efficient and close, only one tiny weeper during touch up. A 9.9 for the fifth shave on this blade. I’ll put the blade away for a little while as I move to the 430s on my Feather.

I did both restraints last year. The yearly allows a little wiggle room for extra purchases (long restock and exception purchase), which are appealing to me. But as I reported earlier, there were two months when I almost made a purchase which I thought worth violating the monthly restraint for, but the thought of ruining the yearly kept md from doing it. And as I look back, the hyped up need to buy something at that moment seems totally unnecessary now.

Date30.12.2023
365 daily shaves
364/365
DecemBOAR27/31
DEcember30/31
Lasta’s Blade Stash11/32

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda AthenaRK Stainless (2)Omega Pro 10098
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Barrister + Mann Leviathan
Cold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG and touch up
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10
(~20m)
9.5/10
(Almost clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.75/10
(BBS-)
11/10
(GlideFest)

Notes:

Summary. Second last shave of 2023 and I chose one of the finest razors in my collection. And it delivered on that reputation. Excellent start of New Years weekend. The Schick G1 joined the fun for an excellent near BBS head shave too.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still out.

Saturday December 30, 2023
Brush: Semogue SOC Cherry
Lather: Tabac
Razor: Henson AL13 Mild
Blade: Astra Superior Platinum

IMG_6143.jpg

Still in.
So the last couple days I used my (synthetic) Simpson T3 brush. Today I was using my Semogue horse hair brush when I noticed the face lather was pasty and taking longer to "blossom" than usual. Then it occurred to me I neglected to soak the horse hair brush! Not surprisingly the knot lost a couple of hairs as well. Yup. Soaking natural hair brushes does make a difference: at least with this brush, which has always produced a great face lather.
Anywho, other than my being a knucklehead this was a fine shave. ;)

Razor: EJ Chatsworth
Blade: Personna CC (7)
Brush: Semogue Galahad C3 Horse
Cream: Proraso Blue
AS: Thayer's Unscented WH Face Tonic
Balm: Tabac

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
IN (cart may be prepped for Jan. 1 however ;))

Razor - Hawk V3 'A'
Blade - Feather Pro. Super (9)
Pre-Shave - Hot water wash
Crema - Rockwell Barbershop
Brush - Alpha Faux Jade, 28mm
Post-shave - Warm water rinse, cold water rinse
Aftershave - Proraso refreshing

XTG/ATG

Beautiful shave, BBS and irritation free. Have been trying to kill this cream for a while, a great performer but overpriced because of the name. Made in Canada, would love to know who it's produced by.

1000003384.jpg

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
Still in

Gillette Rocket
Gillette Super Thin (6)
Proraso (Omega) Professional
Stirling Ramblin' Man

View attachment 1772098

Went home yesterday to check on my house. Progress is slow, but I think the basement in the main house is almost dried out now.

View attachment 1772112View attachment 1772111

Hope you all have a great weekend :)
Beautiful spot! It's being rehabbed currently?

We had snow for Christmas in Calgary, but it's melting now, most days this fall/winter have been well into the positive C's.

SOTD December 30th 2023
December 2023 GRUME
DecemBOAR 2023 🐽 🐷 🐖 🐗
Double Edge DEcember 2023
SV Saturday

Hello friends

Rainy Saturday around here. Perfect for the last shave of the year. SV Manna di Sicilia, Omega Jade, Greencult 2.0 plate IV, Gillette Silver Blue (4) and Floïd The Genuine.

With us to say goodbye to 2023, Tony Bennett and Bill Evans.

Rating: 10

I wish you all a wonderful 2024 and great shaves!
❤️🪒

14046ABA-56DC-4A38-B974-CFC81E769AD3.jpeg
IMG_4172.jpeg

Beautiful spot! It's being rehabbed currently?
Yes, it got flooded in September.

We had snow for Christmas in Calgary, but it's melting now, most days this fall/winter have been well into the positive C's.
Weather here is changing every day.

Christmas Eve we had blue skies and -13, Christmas Day around 0 and snowing, Boxing Day -17 and blue skies again, Dec 27 around 0 and more snow and so on.

Still out!

One more shave will take place tomorrow and then 2023 finally will be in the books. I'm really, really fed up with 2023, so I'm looking forward to next year!😎👍

As per the GRUYERE v. GRUME participation. I'll take part in both events but my focus will be here in GRUME land. No need to think twice. 😀.

Cheers, Friends!

Well folks this is a wrap for me, there won't be any shave tomorrow. 12 month of GRUME completed so was the GRUYERE as well and 11 out of 12 SOTM as well (darn you father's day shave on the wrong week end.

Today's shave, 2 days of growth

Decemboar : 16
2023 GRUYERE : 200

Razor : Merkur 34 HD C
Blade : Nacet (5)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Proraso Blue
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: Osma Alum block , Stirling Soap Sharped Dressed Man splash, Nivea Sensitive moisturizer cream

Another great shave, that Nacet blade has delivered.

Top Bottom