What's new

June 2023 Gentlemanly Restraint Until Month End (GRUME)

Still in the GRUME , 2 days of growth

June GRUME : 16
2023 GRUYERE : 99

Razor : Merkur Progress 510 setting 2 and 1
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue (1)
Pre Shave : none
Soap (SOTM) : Godrej Cinthol
Brush : Semogue 1305
Aftershave: Osma Alum Block, Green Freeze Bootleg, Proraso White balm

Not as comfortable as could be hence the Proraso white balm as well as a few too many nicks, tomorrow will be an all setting 1 shave. That being said , this razor is more efficient than my 34 HD

Day 27, 90% complete

Preshave: Hot washcloth
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Yaqi 24mm synthetic cashmere
Razor: Leaf Twig, half Astra SP #2
Bowl: Turkish copper
Post-shave: Nivea Hyaluron

The Twig worked better this time. You need to let it do what it "wants", and not force it to act like one of your DEs.

I managed to shave my chin ATG with it. XTG on my cheeks is usually inward, ear toward midline, but this one does the midline toward ear XTG quite naturally.

It seems to make a better job of neck trouble spots than my DEs. The end result isn't all that close, but it's comfortable.

A dual-razor shave, with something more aggressive for pass 1 and this for ATG and tidy-up, might be a good combination.

The Twig worked better this time. You need to let it do what it "wants", and not force it to act like one of your DEs.

I managed to shave my chin ATG with it. XTG on my cheeks is usually inward, ear toward midline, but this one does the midline toward ear XTG quite naturally.

It seems to make a better job of neck trouble spots than my DEs. The end result isn't all that close, but it's comfortable.
I think you described the Twig quite accurately. It maneuvers nicely if you "let it do what it "wants". I don't use mine often but I want to use it more.

Today I felt like experimenting.

As I never was a 100% happy with my R41 (Harsh, too much blade chatter, close but never smooth) I replaced the top cap from a Gillette old style.
And I must admitt, this was the best shave I ever had with this R41. Blade chatter was reduced a lot, no nicks or weepers, just a very close, satisfying shave. The top cap stays on, without a doubt.

Muhle R41 + Gillette old style top cap
Personna Lab Blue (1)
Anbbas synth brush
Extro Cosmesi 17 Stormo (SOTM)
Nivea sensitive ASB
Brut Musk EdT

Date
365 daily shaves
183/365
GRUME June
25/30
SOTMC
28/30
High Efficiency June
26/30
Blade Biter’s Archive1/32
Consistency Shaves100%

RazorBladeBrush
Lambda Athena (face)
Mühle R41 (head)
Gillette Bleue Extra (14+15)Omega Proraso
Yaqi Lucky Dice
PreshaveSoapPostshave
Cold splash
KCG Face Wash
Proraso Green preshave
Proraso GreenCold splash
Aftershave
Balm

PassesWTG XTG ATG
Efficiency
(details here)
Quality / My process
8/10 (~20 m)10/10 (clean)
EffectivenessComfort / Blade condition
8.5/10 (DFS+)8/10 (Smooth)

Notes to this shave:

General - superset with allstars. Head feels soft and the face feels smooth.

For extended shave notes click here.

Enjoy your shave!

Still in

Gillette New FB
Crystal (5)
Omega EVO 2.0
Godrej Shaving Round
Razorock Emperor

IMG-DSC_5440 (3).JPG

Cheers :)

SOTD JUNE 28th
June 2023 GRUME

Hello friends

Winter is still sunny around here. So I chose the wonderful Mike's Orange, Cedarwood & Black Pepper which made a phenomenal lather with my Omega 48 Pro, the best $10 I've ever spent. Rockwell 6C (6/5/5), Gillette Nacet (3) and Floïd The Genuine completed this morning of dreams.

Along with us, Tony Bennett and Bill Evans, Together Again.

Rating: 9

Have a nice day and great shaves.
❤️🪒

0A482A0D-95D0-4A78-AA35-25C914F0A778.jpeg
IMG_9482.jpeg

Still In GRUME & GRUYERE

PXL_20230628_162553330.jpg

Hey Guys
@Roedeer has been making some useful comments about the Leaf "Twig". IMHO, this is the most maneuverable razor I own. It thrives when using no pressure strokes and was made for the Gillette Slide technique. It's not a daily razor but every time I use it, it is an enjoyable experience.
We are in a heat wave and yesterday I got a little bit of sunburn on my face. The Proraso red seemed to be the right choice. After soaking the Omega brush, I applied a very soapy lather on my face and prepped the razor. I splashed off my face and applied a a second lather-this time more appropriately and was amazed how the slick lather and razor combo worked together. A follow up Slide pass and a few touchups left me in DFS/BBS territory.

Enjoyment/Comfort: 10+/10
Efficiency: 9.7
Please take care of yourself and each other.

I’ve fallen.

The antique store got me.

Found a Gillette black tip in case no blade dispenser.
An old spice shave mug.
Finally a Pure badger rubberset brush that could maybe get a new knot in it came with mug.

Internet is spotty here will post some pics once I get back.

Best of luck to everyone on the last 2 days.

I’ve fallen.

The antique store got me.

Found a Gillette black tip in case no blade dispenser.
An old spice shave mug.
Finally a Pure badger rubberset brush that could maybe get a new knot in it came with mug.

Internet is spotty here will post some pics once I get back.

Best of luck to everyone on the last 2 days.
Since making GRUMEs part of my life, I have severely limited my time in antique stores. Even though I've become pretty discerning about my shave purchases - new or vintage - they're just too tempting! Sorry to hear that you stumbled, but I do hope you'll sign up for next month. Either way, pics, of course, are welcome.

And when a brother falls, it's time for...

Roll Call!

1) @FoolishMortal - Forever?, SOTMC
2) @Chef455 - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
3) @mr_eleven
4) Multum in parvo - out (6/8: FOMOWiza)
5) @Roedeer
6) Wgg2017 - out (6/2: NOSSR)
7) @LJBraaten - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
8) @The Blackadder
9) @JAHE - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
10) @silverlifter
11) @hopper_64
12) GuidoTheGhost75
13) @iver
14) @Balin - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
15) @PersistentlyBlunt
16) @JWCowboy
17) @tjsgarden - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
18) @La Malice - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
19) @V12Stu
20) @Beto Salatini
21) @cryhavoc - GRUYERE
22) FL shaver - out (6/10: MWF experiment)
23) ChriWilson - SOTMC - out (6/7: Kents)
24) @den fly
25) Trollky - out (6/5: Scuttle & Soap*)
26) @sandorfi - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E., SOTMC
27) @Doti B
28) TOVT - out (6/7: Blackbird)
29) @Jack Goossen
30) @elmo_koffman - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.
31) @Abz88
32) @Eshebert
33) Ribitski23 - out (6/28: Antiques)
34) Jayson74 - out (6/10: Karve)
35) @Contact_vs_Feedback - G.R.U.Y.E.R.E.

I have fallen.

My son was not well and I went to the chemist to get some cold and flu medication. While wandering through they had King C Gillette packs of 10 blades half price. Never having seen these blades on special I grabbed the last box. Completely forgot about GRUME until I was leaving the store.

I also received some blades from the Great Blade Exchange this week.

Happy to have made it this far on my first GRUME and happy that all I have puchased this month is one discounted box of 10 blades.

Well done to all still in.

Still in. Been very preoccupied the past couple of days. Stitches removed from my knee, the doctor didn’t give me permission to do the things I’ve already been doing. As I listened to his list of things I could do my thought was that ship has already left port! Dealing with an angry renter who is leaving. Unfortunately I’ve allowed her to live rent free in my head. Psychic energy is low. Practicing for a Fourth of July concert.
Where was I? Oh yeah, shaving. Two days worth to report.
Yesterday’s attempt #13 with a GEM SE blade and my Gem 1912 series. Bad. 6 passes and a 4/10 shave. Enjoyment and comfort 1/10. I wore a hole in one spot on my chin. Finished with my Tech and Feather, very gingerly for a 9.75 finish.
Today: I honed and stropped that SE blade. It was improved, it only took me two passes to achieve 4/10, comfort level 3/10. That’s it, the universe is speaking to me, that blade now resides in the utility drawer. Back to the Tech and Feather for an easy 9.8/10 quality shave. Shave #317 on that blade, and it has permission to stay in the bathroom with the rest of my shaving gear. I think that blade has been active for about a year now.

Top Bottom