What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I used to make up a design in bent steel rod. Quick and dirty, cheap, worked great. I've probably still got a few lying around...

You get it that I like quirky stuff? Yeah; here, too. :) My real passion in slingshots is for Pickle Fork Shooters. I tried singlestick but it's too weird for me.

IMG_0704[1].JPG

Three PFS shooters: 1/4" aluminum plate, maple branch and a climber's figure-8. The other side of that figure-8 looks like a golf ball from all the self-strikes I gave it while I was learning PFS.

PFS is great for those "Dang, I need a slingshot" moments. Zip-POW-back in the pocket. :)

One warning if you're going to play with slingshots, whether little or large: Wear Your Eye Protection!

Ball bearings are great ammo; very consistent in size and mass. Sting like a bugger when you get a high-speed "RTS" or "Return To Sender" and the ball comes back in your face.

Play safe, know what's on the receiving end.

O.H.

O.H.

Awesome thread! I had no idea there were other slingshot enthusiasts here haha. I am slowly going through the whole thread. I am a recent newcomers to the slingshot hobby. Shooting mostly clay ammo and bb's. Its been a nlast so far. It bit me hard 🤣. Went from 1 to dozens of frames in no time. Recently I've been tinkering with making natural frames. Enjoying every minute of it. Here are some recent acquisitions and the two natural frames I have made. One with bark and the other went to a frame swap. To many to post them all at this point 🤣

20230213_171907.jpg
20230110_171146.jpg
20230303_145340.jpg
20230303_145937.jpg
20230222_190034.jpg
20230301_223850.jpg

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Awesome thread! I had no idea there were other slingshot enthusiasts here haha. I am slowly going through the whole thread. I am a recent newcomers to the slingshot hobby. Shooting mostly clay ammo and bb's. Its been a nlast so far. It bit me hard 🤣. Went from 1 to dozens of frames in no time. Recently I've been tinkering with making natural frames. Enjoying every minute of it. Here are some recent acquisitions and the two natural frames I have made. One with bark and the other went to a frame swap. To many to post them all at this point 🤣

View attachment 1621979View attachment 1621981View attachment 1622016View attachment 1622018View attachment 1622019View attachment 1622020

A mix of some sweet slingshots, Mark! Shooters welcome 24/7 here.

AA

View attachment 1621979View attachment 1621981View attachment 1622016View attachment 1622018View attachment 1622019View attachment 1622020
Stray dogs better quit pooping in the yard.

Legion

Staff member
I knocked up a new pattern, JUST because I needed to use a can of spray lacquer on something else I made, and I am sick of throwing away nearly full tins of spray lacquer because their nozzles are gummed up the next time I go to use them. I'll make extra stuff, just so I can use more of the can. :001_rolle

IMG_7467.jpeg

Has anyone received their Ali orders? I need a list of possible slingshots to buy. Anyone have a short go to list of great ones?
You have to watch out for AliExpress Stainless Steel frames. Many are pot metal and will fail under stress or a fork hit.

Dankung is reliable, as is SniperSling or any of the USA vendors.

I wouldn't risk my eyes to save $10

You have to watch out for AliExpress Stainless Steel frames. Many are pot metal and will fail under stress or a fork hit.

Dankung is reliable, as is SniperSling or any of the USA vendors.

I wouldn't risk my eyes to save $10
Thank you, saw a Daisy at the Walmart lol. Appreciate the help.

Thank you, saw a Daisy at the Walmart lol. Appreciate the help.
In the USA, you best options are SimpleShot.com or PocketPredator.com for traditional, non wrist rocket type frames. They can range from $25 - $100+. All will shoot the same, some will have more exotic materials.

Both are top both vendors. SimpleShot is a little more pushy with their sales marketing, PocketPredator is a little more old school, husband and wife run/made frames.

And here I thought stainless steel was pretty much stainless steel... not pot metal, but I believe you. I got one I had seen on Amazon, also made in China, for $51 and I found what I thought was the same thing for $17, I think, on AlilE. Let me check. This one: https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...t_main.27.21ef1802VFLI8L&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa
There have been some people test them with jewellery metal testers and they are not as described (slingshot forums). Some can be bent by hand.

That's not to say they are all junk. I'm guessing many are actually stainless steel or titanium, but most of us don't have the tools to test and it would cost to much to test elsewhere.

I've ordered from Dankung. They are a Chinese wire frame seller, as well as others. I would have no problem ordering from them if I was in the market. They have a USA site, which would be quicker shipping. The overseas site is probably cheaper but longer shipping times. I have ordered tubes from them as well, great prices and quality.

Legion

Staff member
You DIY guys, what sort of pouches are you using? I'm about to make myself a few out of roo leather. I've been shooting a fair bit lately, and the hand slap you sometimes get from heavier cow leather pouches can add up. Lighter, thinner roo leather should add a little to the velocity, and also hurt less when it hits your hand.

Kangaroo has very little stretch for its weight, so seems ideal for this. Just trying to finalise the size and shape.

You DIY guys, what sort of pouches are you using?

I make mine usually from oil tanned leather, around 4-6oz weight as it's very durable. My personal slinger has an elephant hide pouch (not the one pictured). Here is a recent build. Other than knifemaking, I do like to make the occasional custom slingshot.

Attachments

• slg1.jpg
    slg1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • slg2.jpg
    slg2.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • slg3.jpg
    slg3.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Shaping is done. Measured up, forks are square, all parallel, all evenly sized etc.

It took a bit of work as it was a wonky and uneven, poorly cut raw fork that was given to me a few years ago. Hand tools only on this one, no power or stationary.

I have a feeling the grain is going to "pop" once I get to sanding and oiling.

PXL_20240406_214000270.PORTRAIT.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom