What's new

I've decided to get back into Slingshots

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
Whipped this up over the past couple weeks.

Lilac backyard Natural, hand rasps and files, sanded to 3k, Danish Oil, TBG.

Large surface cacks were stabilized with 2 part epoxy and superglue was used for the finer ones.

A few build pics:

View attachment 1578430
View attachment 1578428

View attachment 1578429

Completed:
View attachment 1578431

View attachment 1578432

View attachment 1578433

View attachment 1578434

View attachment 1578435
WOW!!!!! That is gorgeous!

ylekot

One more before I am able to hopefully get out and shoot. Lots of snow still:

Backyard Oak, shaped and made with hand tools (except lanyard hole), Filed, Rasped, Sanded to 3k, Danish Oil 5-6 coats.

It's got a few curves, forks lined up and even, grain popped quite a bit on this one, some bark left of butt and lightly epoxied to stabilize that area. I tried to dig deep enough into the body to bring out some meat colour.

Backyard Oak, shaped and made with hand tools (except lanyard hole), Filed, Rasped, Sanded to 3k, Danish Oil 5-6 coats.

It's got a few curves, forks lined up and even, grain popped quite a bit on this one, some bark left of butt and lightly epoxied to stabilize that area. I tried to dig deep enough into the body to bring out some meat colour.

Thanks for looking and getting me off my butt to make a few frames:
View attachment 1424363

View attachment 1424364
View attachment 1424365
View attachment 1424366

View attachment 1424367

View attachment 1424368

View attachment 1424369
View attachment 1424370

View attachment 1424371
View attachment 1424372
OK, I gotta get out of here.....Make me want to go shoot one but my gimp wrists would not be happy if I did.

🤔 Slingshots remain a good choice for many things... Eye-hand coordination. Distance estimation. Cheap ammo with dollar store marbles and eBay ball bearings. They are almost silent, and a good thing while hiking. I'd think a carefully placed marble would stop a bear from looting a knocked over trash can. (Not endorsing this of course. But you can't kill one for this offense, and changing their behavior can save the bear's life. Why, I once dissuaded a very large alligator from eating a bobber with a Daisy BB gun).

AA

Undoubtedly yes. The attention of the bear would be entirely focused on you. The next meal. :eek2:

Undoubtedly yes. The attention of the bear would be entirely focused on you. The next meal. :eek2:
I don't hunt, but from what i know about "small game" hunting with a slingshot, Lead is most often used.

A marble would be like poking a bear with a twig. I wouldn't try it.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
IMG_20230108_104128424.jpg

Ka-Bar slingshot arrives. As with their other well made molded products, it's pretty good! Compares well with big name slingshot....

AA

The Silky is on my list. I've made do with a Fiskars folder saw.

A small saw is safer than a hatchet or khukuri when woodswalking, and handles any wood-removal for hammock-hanging very well.

AA
The Bahco Laplander is more durable and was like $20 Canadian. I think they jumped in price the past few years though. It holds its own against my Silky Gomboy. I actually lost the tip of the Silky on one of my first uses. It just snapped and went flying. Likely user error as I wasn't familiar with Pull stroke only Japanese saws

I do have a Silky BigBoy for camping and canoeing, now that I know how to use it properly. It cuts through logs with ease.

Legion

Staff member
You're right! It was @brucered ! Sorry. :letterk1:

I need to keep an eye out and a small saw with me on hikes ...

AA
I found that the saw on a Swiss Army knife gets through green wood pretty fast. That’s what I carried when I was out harvesting forks.

The best method I found was to cut the fork green off the tree, then take it home and microwave it to dry it out. That way you avoid a lot of the warping and cracks.

I found that the saw on a Swiss Army knife gets through green wood pretty fast. That’s what I carried when I was out harvesting forks.

The best method I found was to cut the fork green off the tree, then take it home and microwave it to dry it out. That way you avoid a lot of the warping and cracks.
I usually dry them naturally, but have microwaved a few.

If you leave them to dry naturally, cut all ends (not to finally length) and seal the ends with glue or epoxy. It is supposed to help limit cracking.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Finally ordered some clay ammo. Pondered sizes but went 3/8. 1,600/$11. Hope they are round enough and pack some WHACK.

I should make a trap/target for saving the marbles or steel shot, as they currently don't get reused.

AA

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
When I was about 6 or so at our house in Sacramento, CA the neighbor kid "Mikey" got me in the back of the head with a slingshot. I had to go to the hospital and get stitches. Lots of blood. I remember my father paying the neighbors a visit over that incident. :001_smile

Last edited:

ylekot

Here in NY wrist brace style slingshots are illegal and specifically noted by name in the law. It is a class A misdemeanor!

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
(1) He or she possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic
stun gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, plastic knuckles,
metal knuckles, chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type
slingshot or slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"

Top Bottom