What's new

Baratza Virtuoso+ Coffee Grinder With 40mm M2 Etzinger Burrs ( An SWCT Review )

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Baratza Virtuoso+
Coffee Grinder

proxy.php

When @gpjoe went to pick up his Baratza Encore grinder package, he made a note about how heavy it was. When I went to pick up my Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder package, I felt the same way. While weight isn't always an indicator of quality, but in this case, it most certainly is. My unit weighs 8-pounds, I tell ya what, it certainly feels like it. Also, Baratza boxes this in a box within another box, and they like to make it a bit of a puzzle to remove this grinder from its box I tell ya, I felt like a cat trying to get into the treat puzzle box.

proxy.php

Unlike many of the cheap brands, which are manufactured in China, and come with poorly translated documentation, or none at all, Baratza grinders are made in Taiwan, and they come with proper documentation that is actually useful. If you are new to the use of coffee burr grinders, I highly suggest that you give this quick start guide a read. Additionally, both Baratza's website, as well as their Youtube channel, have further documentation, and how to video's, including an impressive replacement parts list. Yes, you heard me correctly, Baratza grinders are actually made to be serviceable, they are not throw away machines! And they actually advocates for the do it yourself repair. Also, the replacement parts are reasonably priced too, so they actually make it worth it to fix, rather then buy a whole new unit. Impressive for these times isn't it? I thought so!

proxy.php

If you decide to not use the quick guide, I need to make sure you are at least aware, that both the burr chamber gasket, as well as the course bristle cleaning brush, are hidden inside the grounds collector. The top hopper and cover don't come pre-assembled, so you will have to unpack those and put them on as well. I also discovered that my burr retainer ring was not aligned with the red notch on the housing, so I had to rotated that until it clicked down in, then I was able to install the burr chamber gasket, and then attach the hopper as well. But I have to say, this was all easy to do, and I did it without using the guide, because I got my education in Baratza's video's before the grinder arrived lol.

1692151105590.png
proxy.php

I couldn't help but notice just how thick the power cable was, its the kind of thickness you'd expect from a 12-AMP circular saw! So, I looked for the wire size on it, and it says 2X18-AWG, most Chinese made appliances today use 24-AWG cables, so thats pretty awesome. I thought that was interesting though, it really made me think about what kind of power this thing requires. Well, take a look at that motor, thats a 180-watt direct drive motor with gear reduction, this thing is the real deal folks, its playing for keeps, and no coffee bean will be left behind. But unlike grinders like the Cuisinart DBM-8, which uses super fast speed that heats up the grinds, and causes static with the ceramic burrs. The Baratza Virtuoso+ uses high torque from the motor, but at a lower 550-RPM speed instead.

proxy.php
proxy.php

As you can see, this grinder has quite the sleek look to it. The material composition of it is a combination of, BPA free ABS plastic, as well as stainless steel. These materials are thick too, and you most certainly feel it in the weight of the machine. The base of the unit is made of metal, and is real sturdy, with its nice rubber feet on the bottom. Plastic can be seen on the sides, as well as in the grinds collector, and beans hopper. I find the combination of plastic and stainless steel, really helps to accent the design of the grinder, both in aesthetic appeal, as well as function in build quality. You really get the feel, that this is a pro-consumer level grinder, that would look good on just about any coffee bar, it certainly looks good on mine!

proxy.php

Since the original release of the Baratza Virtuoso in 2005, people complained that the grinds collector was too hard to see, especially since Baratza had instituted the ( white ) level indictator line back in 2012's grinder refresh. Well, have a look at the grinds collector on the Virtuoso+, the lights inside are not even on yet, the unit isn't even plugged in yet, and just the immense light from my camera gear, is making it very easy to see, that there is a christmas tree inside. No! Of course I am joking, its the included cleaning brush, and the burr chamber gasket silly lol.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Virtuoso+ is listed by Baratza, for being able to produce a grind size anywhere between 200-microns, and 1200-microns. Well, since I don't have a lab grade micronometer, there is no way that I can test that. But, to put it in much easier terms for most folks to understand, this grinder is capable of producing a grind for Espresso, Pour Over, Aeropress, Drip, Mokka Pot, and French Press. But this grinder is not designed to do Turkish, so your going to need an even higher end grinder to produce powder for Turkish coffee. Depending on grind size selected, this grinder can produce up to 1.4-grams per second, to 2.3-grams per second.

proxy.php

Welcome to the M2 40mm Conical Etzinger burr set, wild looking aint it? But something doesn't look right, thats right, the plastic ring must have moved in shipping. So we just need to rotate that till it lines up with the red notch, so it fits down in nice and snug like a glove. This burr set looks aggressive though doesn't it? Yeah, I wouldn't stick my finger in there either, but you do want to keep this cleaned out once a week or so, using a nice grinder cleaning brush. You can use the one that they include, or get a better one with a wooden handle, its totally up to you. This is not a 0-retention grinder by any means, I would say it retains about 0.5G, which is still not that bad. But its enough, that you will either want to use the RDT technique, ( Ross Droplet Technique ) or get a bellows pump, to help push the remaining grinds, down into the collector.

proxy.php

proxy.php
I decided that it was in my best interests, to get a nicer cleaning brush, something with a longer handle, that provides me a bit of leverage. Having said that, keeping the included brush is also important, because its designed to bend, to reach the hard to reach spots, that a rigid handled brush cannot. I watched a lot of video's of this grinder online before my purchase, so I already knew about the grounds retention issue when not using RDT, so I decided to get the bellows pump, because I didn't want to risk causing rust to my burr set, from using moisture. The bellows is made out of silicone, as you place the wide end onto the hopper, and use the original hopper lid that came with your grinder, to attach to the top of the bellows. Cool ha?

proxy.php

Using this grinder is quite simple. Measure out the amount of coffee you want to grind, then toss the beans into the hopper. Use the knob on the front of the grinder to set the timer, available time is anywhere between 1 to 40-seconds. Once you set your time, press the knob in this time, to start the grinding. Additionally, you can activate pulse mode, by pressing and holding the button in for several seconds. This will allow you to manually run the grinder as you need. Pulse mode also helps to get the last remaining bean or two, through the burr set, at the end of a grind. The display lights up, and is very legible when in low light conditions. I would say the noise level of this grinder is moderate, nowhere near as loud as the Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder. The Cuisinart was actually so loud that it scared me to run the thing. But the Baratza fills me with confidence when I run it.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I personally use a Behmore Brazen Plus 3.0 automatic drip brewer, this means that I require a medium grind in the filter basket. While grind size setting number-20, would be probably be sufficient, Baratza recommends size level-18 for drip based filter coffee. All I had to do, was move the grind setting one more click to the left, to hit grind size-18. Can I just say, the movement of the grind selector is so smooth, even I am amazed at this level of quality for the price! But just to let you know, this is a stepped grinder, so not the best design for dialing in a super tough espresso shot, but this machine will do espresso in some select cases. But if you are really serious about espresso, you should really be looking for a stepless grinder, and there are many to choose from, so just do your research.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Here are some new views, showing the Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder, with the new bellows mod attached. Well I gotta say, I love the new industrial look it provides, and it also has increased the size of the grinder, it is now only 1/2 inch taller then my Behmore brewer. When the grinder timer finishes with a bean or two left, I will activate pulse mode. While I am pulsing the grinder, to feed the last bean or two through the burr set, I also simultaneously, press on the bellows, which helps to both aid in pushing the last couple beans through, but also pushes the grounds through as well. When I stop running the grinder, I will push the bellows a few more times, and I can clearly see more grounds going into the collector after. Thats why I say, if you choose to not use RDT, then a bellows is an absolute must.

proxy.php
proxy.php

When this grinder runs, you can feel the torque of the motor, you can totally understand why it has rubber feet on the bottom, to prevent it from moving, from the high torque of the motor. The grinder has a bit of a wiggle to it from the torque, kind of like a wash machine, except not as aggressive lol. Look at the lighting inside the collector, you'd believe that it was simply a gimmick to have in a grinder, but after experiencing a grinder with collector cup lighting, I can say without a doubt now, I need it! lol. And then have a look at the next picture with the grounds in the collector, OMG I love it! 😍 Come on, admit it, you love it too. 😊 When I pull the collector cup off, there is a few grounds on the bottom base of the unit, but not a big deal. You don't know coffee mess until you've owned a Cuisinart DBM-8, just saying lol.

After emptying the grounds into the filter basket, I do see some grounds retention from the static, but its honestly not bad. You know that nice wooden handled brush I got? Well, that works excellent at brushing out the collector nice and clean! So lets have a look at the grind uniformity, using the Baratza Virtuoso+, on grind size setting number-18.

1692156783236.png

From what I can tell, the grind uniformity seems to be, just about as good, as my 1ZPresso K-MAX hand grinder, which also uses a conical heptagonal burr set. Also, I can grind 60-grams of coffee with the Virtuoso, in the same time it takes me to grind 30-grams, in my 1ZPresso K-MAX grinder. So that just goes to show, the electric is indeed faster lol. One thing I did notice however, you can only set the timer up to a max of 40-seconds. The Virtuoso won't grind 60-grams in 40-seconds, there is a few beans left. But one can just finish it up with pulse mode. I think the reason Baratza designed it that way, is because this is not a full commercial grinder, the motor has a duty cycle. Your supposed to use up to maybe 40-seconds, then let the unit cool for 15-minutes, before you run another grind in it. But it won't hurt the motor to pulse it a few times after that, so don't worry about that.

CONCLUSION:

In conclusion, I feel that this is a very nice pro-consumer home use grinder for the price. Its very easy to use, easy to clean, easy to maintain, and isn't too loud of a grinder to run. The motor has the torque power to handle anything I throw at it, and its got the speed to get the job done efficiently. Its got a lovely amount of weight to it, indicative of its quality. Grinder unit is solid, it looks lovely on my coffee bar. It works great, what more can you want? Unless your going to be making grinds for 7-people or more, you don't need the top end units, this one will do fine. I love my new coffee grinder!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker
Great review, thanks for taking the time and effort. I'm considering giving up on handgrinding if I keep getting older, lol.
cheers

Thank you very much! I'm so grateful that other's appreciate my efforts, as a lot of time goes into writing a review, which doesn't include the time it takes me to take pictures and process them as well, for the review. My hope has always been, that I am able to include enough information, to help potential buyers to make smart purchasing decisions.

I actually love hand grinding, I am primarily a hand grinder operator. I initially got into hand grinding, because I didn't want to spend 300 dollars or more on an electric grinder. LOL! But once I started hand grinding, I experienced the meditative experience, that another member on here told me about as well for them.

But here's the thing, there are some days, when I am simply not in the mood to do hand grinding, especially since I am grinding 156-grams of beans per day in a hand grinder. I am grinding beans to make coffee for me, as well as fill a carafe for a family member, thats so much more hand grinding then most people do. Most people hand grind 18-grams of beans and their done.

So, I honestly should earn a reward for all the hand grinding I do per day lol. So now you see why electric suddenly has gotten appealing to me, but I was never going to run that Cuisinart DBM-8 again, heck no, I hate that thing lol. Also, if I ever have days when I am feeling sick, the last thing I will want to do is operate a hand grinder when I am sick.

And you made a very solid point too @Sweeney_ when you get older, hand grinders are not going to look as awesome as they once did to ya. Its a lot like pull starting a mower, the older you get, the more that pull rope begins to feel like its resisting you. Sure, I could tell you right now that resistance is futile, but lets be real, you can tell your body what you want it to do, but you will get out of it what its willing to do lol!

Thanks again for your comment, and I appreciate you checking out my review, your awesome!

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Another great review, Chris. My Cuisinart DBM-8 is sitting safely in the garage on the top shelf of one of those stainless steel shelving units, gathering dust. <eg>

I often do two French press runs of coffee in the morning; 43 grams of coffee each. Because I'm using a modified James Hoffmann method, the total wait time is 9 minutes, so hand grinding the second batch isn't problematic, at least, at this point. You know what sped things up? I have a small, ceramic milk pitcher, not quite as nice as your little gravy boat, if that is what it is. Yours is very nice. You should post a link to where you got it. It looks lovely. It saves so much time over using a large, stainless steel spoon... and I don't drop as many coffee beans on the floor. <eg>

Here's what I'm using: Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HZK31VV?th=1

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Another great review, Chris. My Cuisinart DBM-8 is sitting safely in the garage on the top shelf of one of those stainless steel shelving units, gathering dust. <eg>

I often do two French press runs of coffee in the morning; 43 grams of coffee each. Because I'm using a modified James Hoffmann method, the total wait time is 9 minutes, so hand grinding the second batch isn't problematic, at least, at this point. You know what sped things up? I have a small, ceramic milk pitcher, not quite as nice as your little gravy boat, if that is what it is. Yours is very nice. You should post a link to where you got it. It looks lovely. It saves so much time over using a large, stainless steel spoon... and I don't drop as many coffee beans on the floor. <eg>

Here's what I'm using: Amazon.com - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09HZK31VV?th=1

Thanks Kim, your awesome as always. I like where your keeping the Cuisinart, because that's where it belongs. If you ever get an electric grinder again, I'd recommend a Baratza Encore at the very least.

I like that we both share an interest in hand grinding. And you know, if one ever wants to do coffee while camping, bringing a hand grinder and areopress, French press, would probably be the best setup next to pour over.

Knowing me, I'd enter a competition to see who can go through a 2 pound bag of beans the quickest, using a hand grinder. By the time I'm done, I'd have grind enough coffee to fulfill the coffee needs of everyone at Yellowstone. Lol 😂

I'd say your doing quite well for yourself using those French presses you have. Which one is your favorite? The Bodum glass one, or that stainless steel one?

Thanks for kind comments about my coffee bean dosing cup. It really helped improve my ability to measure out my beans, and pour them into my hand grinder without making a mess. Look up on Amazon, coffee bean dosing cup.

Since getting my new grinder however, I can just use the grounds collector, works great. But I still like the dosing cup to show you all what the beans look like at least.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Thanks Kim, your awesome as always. I like where your keeping the Cuisinart, because that's where it belongs. If you ever get an electric grinder again, I'd recommend a Baratza Encore at the very least.

I like that we both share an interest in hand grinding. And you know, if one ever wants to do coffee while camping, bringing a hand grinder and areopress, French press, would probably be the best setup next to pour over.

Knowing me, I'd enter a competition to see who can go through a 2 pound bag of beans the quickest, using a hand grinder. By the time I'm done, I'd have grind enough coffee to fulfill the coffee needs of everyone at Yellowstone. Lol 😂

I'd say your doing quite well for yourself using those French presses you have. Which one is your favorite? The Bodum glass one, or that stainless steel one?

Thanks for kind comments about my coffee bean dosing cup. It really helped improve my ability to measure out my beans, and pour them into my hand grinder without making a mess. Look up on Amazon, coffee bean dosing cup.

Since getting my new grinder however, I can just use the grounds collector, works great. But I still like the dosing cup to show you all what the beans look like at least.
I can't tell any difference between the Mueller stainless steel or the Bodum glass French presses, thankfully. I have heard people say they preferred the glass but my coffee goes directly into the stainless steel Yeti so there is that. I think the coffee tastes the same. The SS one is safer when you're washing it... I broke two French presses in Indonesia in the 6 weeks we were there. Some of that had to do with the sink setup but mostly, it was carelessness on my part. If I'm only making coffee for myself, I tend to use the SS one. My wife doesn't drink as much so she prefers it too because it's insulated.

Nice review Chris,

I use a baratza sette (270wi) for my espresso, it's an excellent machine if you ever choose to move your coffee habit that direction.

I too appreciate the weight and the fact that parts are replaceable on baratza's grinders. They seem high quality, well designed pieces for the prosumer level. I do wish they had a bit less plastic but that's very typical of modern day production stuff.

I hope your new machine serves you well!

When this grinder runs, you can feel the torque of the motor, you can totally understand why it has rubber feet on the bottom, to prevent it from moving, from the high torque of the motor. The grinder has a bit of a wiggle to it from the torque, kind of like a wash machine, except not as aggressive lol.
Now I am remembering why I recommended against the bellows, there is a standard manoeuvre that everybody adopts with these grinder; you put the lid on and place your palm on it and leave it while turning the timer with the other hand and gently stabilise it while it runs. It is relatively quick and then, as you said, you just pulse it and remove your hand from the lid.

Nice review! :cuppa:

Reading commenters, adding comments; you can just take the lid off the hopper and put it upside down on the scale instead of taking the grounds collector out. For hand grinders, pinch bowls are great! They are available on The River website, made out of silicone and they are round, but you pinch them to make a pouring spout of sorts.

Another edit, waiting until you try the service position for the first time! Excuse the vulgarity, but I call it spreading the legs. It's not an inaccurate description, you literally pull the bottom of the plastic sides away from the heavy base. I won't go into more detail because I don't want to spoil the first time for you! :wink2:

Last edited:

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Now I am remembering why I recommended against the bellows, there is a standard manoeuvre that everybody adopts with these grinder; you put the lid on and place your palm on it and leave it while turning the timer with the other hand and gently stabilise it while it runs. It is relatively quick and then, as you said, you just pulse it and remove your hand from the lid.

Yes, but the bellows still moves more grounds out the burr chamber then without it, so still is useful. Truth is, it only cost me 13 dollars for that piece of silicone, so its not like it was an expensive investment. Lots of folks like using a bellows, have a look at all the pictures uploaded on Amazon, lots of happy campers there. But as we always say in the wet shaving hobby, since not everything works for everyone, YMMV.

Nice review! :cuppa:

I'm glad you liked it! Truth is, the more I use the grinder, the more I am adopting different strategies, to get more out of it. Most recently, I decided that using a combination of the bellows to try to get as much of the grounds out as possible, but also grinding 0.5G of coffee more, as per my recipe, goes a long way to insuring I still get a strong brew.

I've also noticed that the berry flavor is a little more pronounced in my Stirling Kenya coffee, when I am grinding it in my new Baratza Virtuoso+, but that could only be because setting number-18, is slightly finer then setting number-8 on my 1ZPresso K-MAX grinder. When you go finer, you can extract more flavor from the coffee. Too fine however, you choke the brewer and have a mess, too course, you don't properly extract.

Its always a balancing act when it comes to coffee brewers, but figuring out the balance, is a big portion of the fun. I just use the setting Baratza recommends, and I am having no issue with that so far. I gotta run some Good Brother's Neapolitan in my new grinder today, and see how that turns out in my brewer. Should be fun!

Reading commenters, adding comments; you can just take the lid off the hopper and put it upside down on the scale instead of taking the grounds collector out. For hand grinders, pinch bowls are great! They are available on The River website, made out of silicone and they are round, but you pinch them to make a pouring spout of sorts.

Yeah, I prefer to use the collector. But different strokes for different folks hehe.

Another edit, waiting until you try the service position for the first time! Excuse the vulgarity, but I call it spreading the legs. It's not an inaccurate description, you literally pull the bottom of the plastic sides away from the heavy base. I won't go into more detail because I don't want to spoil the first time for you! :wink2:

Assume the service position and spread the legs. But we just met! Thats going kind of fast aint it? These are different times, things move quicker these days. Yeah, I've noticed!

I saw someone open up a Baratza Encore grinder, and the way it opened up, is exactly as how you described it. So Yeah, I figure Virtuoso grinders open the same way. Thankfully, I don't have any need to service a brand new grinder.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Review Update!

proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Welcome to the rockin role coffee show, I gotta go, to grind me some beans, to make a sweet brew. Whats on the menu for our coffee brew? Stirling Kenya Dark Roast Espresso, Good Brother's Dark Roast Neapolitan, and Bones Army Of Dark Chocolate, ohhhhh my blessed sweet dark roasts! :cuppa: I have had light roast coffee before folks, I've tried a couple different Ethiopian brands, and I have even drank a few medium roasts as well, with Brazilian Red Rooster 🐓Funky Chicken coffee lol. But I only have dark roast coffee's by the time I acquired this Baratza grinder.

I have now grinded these three different coffee's, with this grinder now, multiple of times. And I wanted to provide you fine well caffeinated folks, with an update. I really appreciate the way this grinder, brings out the delicious flavor, of my Kenya coffee. ( Which I am drinking right now ) I don't know what it is, I don't know if it has something to do with the grind uniformity, or perhaps that setting #18 on this grinder grinds, slightly finer then setting #8 on my 1ZPresso K-MAX, but the Virtuoso+ really brings out the berry flavor on this coffee. I still get a bit of the nutty notes, but the berry notes are more pronounced!

The Virtuoso+ manages to bring a more fuller body to my Kenya coffee, and that is something I really appreciate. Now, in all my testing and usage, I did discover, in order to compensate for the grinds retention, ( Since I am not using RDT ) I needed to increase my coffee dosage by 0.5G. Also, pushing the bellows down several times after the grind is over, also pushes out more of the coffee grinds, so that I have much less retention, which has helped a lot! Keeping the grind chamber clear towards the end, seems to really help performance.

Now, when grinding my Good Brother's Neapolitan, I did actually notice a reduction in flavor a bit using the Virtuoso+ for some reason. Perhaps its because the grinder is holding a little more retention on those beans, I am not exactly sure. To compensate for the weakness on this coffee, I chose to up my coffee dosage by 1G, that combined with using the bellows at the end, seems to have compensated for that. In regards to grinding my Bones AODC coffee, using my additional 0.5G of added dosage, seems to be producing perfection, just as it is with my Kenya coffee. I really appreciate the chocolate flavors so much!

I also discovered my first unexplainable phenomenon with this grinder. When I ran my grinder yesterday, I was running my first 48.5G dosage, and the grinder did indeed do its job, but it was making a bit of a knocking sound, while the grinder was grinding, I am not sure what was up with that. To be honest, the noise concerned me a bit, but I was hesitant on stopping the grinder, and just decided to let it run. Then when I ran my second 60.5G dosage right after that, it grinded normally with no knocking sounds. When I ran the grinder today, again, there were no knocking sounds. Like I said, unexplainable phenomenon.

I can't tell that there is anything wrong with the grinder, it seems normal to me. Maybe those like @APBinNCA who have owned their Virtuoso+ for longer, can chime in on what they think that was, based on their own experience. But the good new is, the grinder seems to be fine today, and shows no issues whatsoever. I do really wish that I could set the timer longer then 48-seconds. But it is what it is, and still does what I need it to do well. Another thing, make sure you have a cleaning cloth on hand, because your going to be cleaning the outside of this grinder often, because negative static charge, holds the grind dust like a magnet on the outside of the unit, but it cleans easy via a cloth, so no big deal.

It will be interesting to test this grinder, with a light roasted coffee, to see how it does. But I am going to have to do some window shopping, to see what I am going to like, and I already have some ideas on that lol. But this grinder certainly has the power behind it, so I am sure it will handle it well. But I can tell you one thing, when grinding dark roasts, this motor doesn't bog down a bit. Its like a monster in there, chewing up its lunch, and spitting out the chaff. Its only missing the burp afterwords, but I guess thats what the bellows is for. Grind it up, pump it up, brew it all, have a ball! Why? Cause this is the rockin role coffee show, and I gotta go. See ya!

Ohhhhh, before I forget, I took a new coffee bar photo! 😍
proxy.php

Very nice review 👍. I’ve had an Encore for about a dozen yrs now and about 2 yrs ago (after daily grinding), I did a complete disassembly and put on all new burrs including the M2 upgrade. 99% of my grinding is for mokka pot, so I’m only using the grind setting on the lower end of the espresso grind, but even at that setting I see a much more uniform grind over the standard M3 that came with the older Encore. The only other change I‘ve made was to swap out the hopper with the Baratza single dose hopper. I do not plan on ever replacing this grinder as long as Baratza keeps selling parts

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Nice review Chris,

I use a baratza sette (270wi) for my espresso, it's an excellent machine if you ever choose to move your coffee habit that direction.

I too appreciate the weight and the fact that parts are replaceable on baratza's grinders. They seem high quality, well designed pieces for the prosumer level. I do wish they had a bit less plastic but that's very typical of modern day production stuff.

I hope your new machine serves you well!

Thank you so much for all the support, I really appreciate it! :)

Oh my gosh, the Baratza Sette 270 is an awesome grinder from the Sette lineup, that machine was made to make espresso grind! Yeah, I have no interest in jumping into espresso, as that would most certainly bury me in financial bankruptcy lol. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying your espresso hobby.

You'd be surprised how strong I can make coffee with my drip brewer though! I can make coffee so strong, it will cleanse the alcohol out of an alcoholic. 🤪 Now, I do prefer my coffee stronger then most folks. When I started reading into people's brewing ratio's, it confirmed what I always suspected, most folks like weaker coffee.

But where we differ with most, is we like it strong, which is why several people on here make espresso. And I too appreciate the fact that Baratza parts are replaceable. I honestly don't like the throw it away consumer society that we have become. And absolutely these Baratza grinders are pro-consumer. Having said that however, I would consider Baratza's top models to be commercial grade, you know the Forte grinders, the ones that are all metal flatburr grinders?

proxy.php

See, isn't it gorgeous? I tell you what, if I had the money, whether I needed it or not, I would freaking buy that thing! Now that grinder I'd consider commercial grade. Plus its got those macro and micro adjustments, so you can dial in the most temperamental shot, and give it the what for, with aggressive grind size negotiations.

Very nice review 👍. I’ve had an Encore for about a dozen yrs now and about 2 yrs ago (after daily grinding), I did a complete disassembly and put on all new burrs including the M2 upgrade. 99% of my grinding is for mokka pot, so I’m only using the grind setting on the lower end of the espresso grind, but even at that setting I see a much more uniform grind over the standard M3 that came with the older Encore. The only other change I‘ve made was to swap out the hopper with the Baratza single dose hopper. I do not plan on ever replacing this grinder as long as Baratza keeps selling parts

Thanks Champion Of Capua!

Now this I support 100%! What you basically did here, is instead of buying a whole brand new grinder that wasn't needed, you took your perfectly good Baratza Encore grinder, and upgraded it to the M2 burr set. You see why I love Baratza, they don't make their grinder parts so proprietary that they can only work in one grinder. They make their parts interchangeable, and that is something I appreciate.

If I already owned a Baratza Encore, that is exactly what I would have done as well! And thank you for chiming in, to let everybody know, that the M2 burr set, most certainly makes a noticeable improvement to grind quality, in the Baratza Encore. If you only need to grind 40-grams of coffee or less, the single dose hopper should be really sweet indeed. I did consider getting one, but considering that I have to grind 60+ grams or more for some of my brews, I chose to stick with the original hopper.

BTW, PRO-TIP, when I was watching video Reviews for the Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder, one guy who was using the single dose hopper, showed how you could operate it similar to a bellows, to help push additional grinds through. I had no idea you could do that, until I saw his video. Now, does it work as well as a real bellows like I have on mine? Nope! But his video did show it actually doing something!

@Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker Thank you for the in depth review of the Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder.

For myself, I've been strongly considering getting one of the (relatively new) Baratza Encore ESP grinders very soon, as I enjoy a wide variety of brewing methods (with French Press being the most common method), which include using my old faithful La Pavoni Europiccola manual lever espresso machine.

I'm intrigued by the way Baratza has set up the Encore ESP to be able to dial in espresso very finely with the closely-spaced lowest settings, while allowing the upper settings to ratchet up to coarse grinds. This has been a long desired capability for me (as opposed to running two specialized grinders. We will see.

I feel like, while I have generally been very lucky choosing various consumer products over the decades, my luck with grinders that either don't fail or are difficult to get parts and service has been poor. I love the idea--one that is echoed widely--that Baratza has been rock-solid in providing parts and helpful to owners to keep their machine up and running.

Bill

For myself--and not that i think it makes a bit of difference in the cup--my treasured French press is a 1.5 liter Chambord (pre-Bodum) that I purchased as a student in Berkeley circa 1978-79. Unlike today's models, the metal frame on these is a bit more substantial and--key for me--is plated in Nickel (as opposed to Chrome). I have always prefered Nickel to Chrome, whether for coffee pots, razors, or bathroom fixtures. Something about that "warmth" that speaks to me.

We have cracked a number of carafes over the years. The first one hurt, as it was labeled Chambord (rather than Bodum, who bought Chambord out), but what can you do? LOL. Replacing carafes is just a "tax" I pay for my enjoyment of an elegant French Press. Stainless Steel may be more practical on a host of levels, from nt breaking to keeping the coffee hotter longer, but I admit that looking on my strong BLACK coffee brewing behing glass in an elegantly domed nickel cage is part of the romance of coffee drinking for me.

Bill

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
For myself--and not that i think it makes a bit of difference in the cup--my treasured French press is a 1.5 liter Chambord (pre-Bodum) that I purchased as a student in Berkeley circa 1978-79. Unlike today's models, the metal frame on these is a bit more substantial and--key for me--is plated in Nickel (as opposed to Chrome). I have always prefered Nickel to Chrome, whether for coffee pots, razors, or bathroom fixtures. Something about that "warmth" that speaks to me.

We have cracked a number of carafes over the years. The first one hurt, as it was labeled Chambord (rather than Bodum, who bought Chambord out), but what can you do? LOL. Replacing carafes is just a "tax" I pay for my enjoyment of an elegant French Press. Stainless Steel may be more practical on a host of levels, from nt breaking to keeping the coffee hotter longer, but I admit that looking on my strong BLACK coffee brewing behing glass in an elegantly domed nickel cage is part of the romance of coffee drinking for me.

Bill
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Even though we just have the plastic carafe holder Bodums, I love seeing the coffee inside glass. Since I started working again and am often half awake when I manually grind the beans, I’ve wondered how long it would be before I drop the bottom of the grinder into the carafe and break it. At least with the Stainless Steel French press, I could only dent it. ;)

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Even though we just have the plastic carafe holder Bodums, I love seeing the coffee inside glass. Since I started working again and am often half awake when I manually grind the beans, I’ve wondered how long it would be before I drop the bottom of the grinder into the carafe and break it. At least with the Stainless Steel French press, I could only dent it. ;)

I will never forget the first time I saw a Nickel-plated Chambord (French Press).

I was in "The City" (San Francisco) with my then girlfriend. We'd transferred up to Berkeley together (from UCSB), and she wanted to do a shopping day to get a few items for our lovely new flat in the Berkeley Hills (boy did we score!).

Anyway, we were in Union Square in downtown SF, when I suggested that perhaps we might enjoy a coffee at the gracious St Francis Hotel, which had a lovely patio cafe.

We both ordered coffee. I was positively agog when we were both brought individual Chambords (the small ones), which still brewing and awaiting plunging.

I had never seen such a thing!

French Presses were quite rare birds in those days. I'd literally never seen or heard of them, and I wasn't raised in a cave. LOL

But sitting in the patio/labby of this Grand Hotel, with these exotic coffee pots was one of those moments when I truly felt that "I'd arrived." LOL

Then, a few weeks later, I was invited to a "salon" held at the apartment of a very fascinating/artistic woman, a graduate student, and there--as a centerpiece of salon-table--was a big Chambord. Once again my jaw dropped. Elegant and "arty."

Let's just say that I resolved that I must have one of these beautiful things for myself. Plus I LOVED the taste of FP-brewed coffee (and still do).

It took a little while to save up, not an inexpensive purchase for a college student, but I'm still enjoying the pleasure of its use after all these decades. And I still feel "the thrill" of using such an artful object as I satisfy my habit. One of my most treasured possessions, to be candid.

Bill

Baratza Virtuoso+
Coffee Grinder

proxy.php

When @gpjoe went to pick up his Baratza Encore grinder package, he made a note about how heavy it was. When I went to pick up my Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder package, I felt the same way. While weight isn't always an indicator of quality, but in this case, it most certainly is. My unit weighs 8-pounds, I tell ya what, it certainly feels like it. Also, Baratza boxes this in a box within another box, and they like to make it a bit of a puzzle to remove this grinder from its box I tell ya, I felt like a cat trying to get into the treat puzzle box.

proxy.php

Unlike many of the cheap brands, which are manufactured in China, and come with poorly translated documentation, or none at all, Baratza grinders are made in Taiwan, and they come with proper documentation that is actually useful. If you are new to the use of coffee burr grinders, I highly suggest that you give this quick start guide a read. Additionally, both Baratza's website, as well as their Youtube channel, have further documentation, and how to video's, including an impressive replacement parts list. Yes, you heard me correctly, Baratza grinders are actually made to be serviceable, they are not throw away machines! And they actually advocates for the do it yourself repair. Also, the replacement parts are reasonably priced too, so they actually make it worth it to fix, rather then buy a whole new unit. Impressive for these times isn't it? I thought so!

proxy.php

If you decide to not use the quick guide, I need to make sure you are at least aware, that both the burr chamber gasket, as well as the course bristle cleaning brush, are hidden inside the grounds collector. The top hopper and cover don't come pre-assembled, so you will have to unpack those and put them on as well. I also discovered that my burr retainer ring was not aligned with the red notch on the housing, so I had to rotated that until it clicked down in, then I was able to install the burr chamber gasket, and then attach the hopper as well. But I have to say, this was all easy to do, and I did it without using the guide, because I got my education in Baratza's video's before the grinder arrived lol.

I couldn't help but notice just how thick the power cable was, its the kind of thickness you'd expect from a 12-AMP circular saw! So, I looked for the wire size on it, and it says 2X18-AWG, most Chinese made appliances today use 24-AWG cables, so thats pretty awesome. I thought that was interesting though, it really made me think about what kind of power this thing requires. Well, take a look at that motor, thats a 180-watt direct drive motor with gear reduction, this thing is the real deal folks, its playing for keeps, and no coffee bean will be left behind. But unlike grinders like the Cuisinart DBM-8, which uses super fast speed that heats up the grinds, and causes static with the ceramic burrs. The Baratza Virtuoso+ uses high torque from the motor, but at a lower 550-RPM speed instead.

proxy.php
proxy.php

As you can see, this grinder has quite the sleek look to it. The material composition of it is a combination of, BPA free ABS plastic, as well as stainless steel. These materials are thick too, and you most certainly feel it in the weight of the machine. The base of the unit is made of metal, and is real sturdy, with its nice rubber feet on the bottom. Plastic can be seen on the sides, as well as in the grinds collector, and beans hopper. I find the combination of plastic and stainless steel, really helps to accent the design of the grinder, both in aesthetic appeal, as well as function in build quality. You really get the feel, that this is a pro-consumer level grinder, that would look good on just about any coffee bar, it certainly looks good on mine!

proxy.php

Since the original release of the Baratza Virtuoso in 2005, people complained that the grinds collector was too hard to see, especially since Baratza had instituted the ( white ) level indictator line back in 2012's grinder refresh. Well, have a look at the grinds collector on the Virtuoso+, the lights inside are not even on yet, the unit isn't even plugged in yet, and just the immense light from my camera gear, is making it very easy to see, that there is a christmas tree inside. No! Of course I am joking, its the included cleaning brush, and the burr chamber gasket silly lol.

proxy.php

proxy.php

The Virtuoso+ is listed by Baratza, for being able to produce a grind size anywhere between 200-microns, and 1200-microns. Well, since I don't have a lab grade micronometer, there is no way that I can test that. But, to put it in much easier terms for most folks to understand, this grinder is capable of producing a grind for Espresso, Pour Over, Aeropress, Drip, Mokka Pot, and French Press. But this grinder is not designed to do Turkish, so your going to need an even higher end grinder to produce powder for Turkish coffee. Depending on grind size selected, this grinder can produce up to 1.4-grams per second, to 2.3-grams per second.

proxy.php

Welcome to the M2 40mm Conical Etzinger burr set, wild looking aint it? But something doesn't look right, thats right, the plastic ring must have moved in shipping. So we just need to rotate that till it lines up with the red notch, so it fits down in nice and snug like a glove. This burr set looks aggressive though doesn't it? Yeah, I wouldn't stick my finger in there either, but you do want to keep this cleaned out once a week or so, using a nice grinder cleaning brush. You can use the one that they include, or get a better one with a wooden handle, its totally up to you. This is not a 0-retention grinder by any means, I would say it retains about 0.5G, which is still not that bad. But its enough, that you will either want to use the RDT technique, ( Ross Droplet Technique ) or get a bellows pump, to help push the remaining grinds, down into the collector.

proxy.php

proxy.php
I decided that it was in my best interests, to get a nicer cleaning brush, something with a longer handle, that provides me a bit of leverage. Having said that, keeping the included brush is also important, because its designed to bend, to reach the hard to reach spots, that a rigid handled brush cannot. I watched a lot of video's of this grinder online before my purchase, so I already knew about the grounds retention issue when not using RDT, so I decided to get the bellows pump, because I didn't want to risk causing rust to my burr set, from using moisture. The bellows is made out of silicone, as you place the wide end onto the hopper, and use the original hopper lid that came with your grinder, to attach to the top of the bellows. Cool ha?

proxy.php

Using this grinder is quite simple. Measure out the amount of coffee you want to grind, then toss the beans into the hopper. Use the knob on the front of the grinder to set the timer, available time is anywhere between 1 to 40-seconds. Once you set your time, press the knob in this time, to start the grinding. Additionally, you can activate pulse mode, by pressing and holding the button in for several seconds. This will allow you to manually run the grinder as you need. Pulse mode also helps to get the last remaining bean or two, through the burr set, at the end of a grind. The display lights up, and is very legible when in low light conditions. I would say the noise level of this grinder is moderate, nowhere near as loud as the Cuisinart DBM-8 grinder. The Cuisinart was actually so loud that it scared me to run the thing. But the Baratza fills me with confidence when I run it.

proxy.php
proxy.php

I personally use a Behmore Brazen Plus 3.0 automatic drip brewer, this means that I require a medium grind in the filter basket. While grind size setting number-20, would be probably be sufficient, Baratza recommends size level-18 for drip based filter coffee. All I had to do, was move the grind setting one more click to the left, to hit grind size-18. Can I just say, the movement of the grind selector is so smooth, even I am amazed at this level of quality for the price! But just to let you know, this is a stepped grinder, so not the best design for dialing in a super tough espresso shot, but this machine will do espresso in some select cases. But if you are really serious about espresso, you should really be looking for a stepless grinder, and there are many to choose from, so just do your research.

proxy.php
proxy.php

Here are some new views, showing the Baratza Virtuoso+ grinder, with the new bellows mod attached. Well I gotta say, I love the new industrial look it provides, and it also has increased the size of the grinder, it is now only 1/2 inch taller then my Behmore brewer. When the grinder timer finishes with a bean or two left, I will activate pulse mode. While I am pulsing the grinder, to feed the last bean or two through the burr set, I also simultaneously, press on the bellows, which helps to both aid in pushing the last couple beans through, but also pushes the grounds through as well. When I stop running the grinder, I will push the bellows a few more times, and I can clearly see more grounds going into the collector after. Thats why I say, if you choose to not use RDT, then a bellows is an absolute must.

proxy.php
proxy.php

When this grinder runs, you can feel the torque of the motor, you can totally understand why it has rubber feet on the bottom, to prevent it from moving, from the high torque of the motor. The grinder has a bit of a wiggle to it from the torque, kind of like a wash machine, except not as aggressive lol. Look at the lighting inside the collector, you'd believe that it was simply a gimmick to have in a grinder, but after experiencing a grinder with collector cup lighting, I can say without a doubt now, I need it! lol. And then have a look at the next picture with the grounds in the collector, OMG I love it! 😍 Come on, admit it, you love it too. 😊 When I pull the collector cup off, there is a few grounds on the bottom base of the unit, but not a big deal. You don't know coffee mess until you've owned a Cuisinart DBM-8, just saying lol.

After emptying the grounds into the filter basket, I do see some grounds retention from the static, but its honestly not bad. You know that nice wooden handled brush I got? Well, that works excellent at brushing out the collector nice and clean! So lets have a look at the grind uniformity, using the Baratza Virtuoso+, on grind size setting number-18.
From what I can tell, the grind uniformity seems to be, just about as good, as my 1ZPresso K-MAX hand grinder, which also uses a conical heptagonal burr set. Also, I can grind 60-grams of coffee with the Virtuoso, in the same time it takes me to grind 30-grams, in my 1ZPresso K-MAX grinder. So that just goes to show, the electric is indeed faster lol. One thing I did notice however, you can only set the timer up to a max of 40-seconds. The Virtuoso won't grind 60-grams in 40-seconds, there is a few beans left. But one can just finish it up with pulse mode. I think the reason Baratza designed it that way, is because this is not a full commercial grinder, the motor has a duty cycle. Your supposed to use up to maybe 40-seconds, then let the unit cool for 15-minutes, before you run another grind in it. But it won't hurt the motor to pulse it a few times after that, so don't worry about that.

CONCLUSION:

In conclusion, I feel that this is a very nice pro-consumer home use grinder for the price. Its very easy to use, easy to clean, easy to maintain, and isn't too loud of a grinder to run. The motor has the torque power to handle anything I throw at it, and its got the speed to get the job done efficiently. Its got a lovely amount of weight to it, indicative of its quality. Grinder unit is solid, it looks lovely on my coffee bar. It works great, what more can you want? Unless your going to be making grinds for 7-people or more, you don't need the top end units, this one will do fine. I love my new coffee grinder!

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 out of 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟 stars!
This post came up as a “Similar Thread” to the artisanal pencil sharpening post. Sometimes the algorithm nails it.

Top Bottom