What's new

Used coffee grounds - Toss or reuse?

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I would need hundred-pound sacks of grounds to help around here... But a great idea on small gardens.

AA

My better half says used coffee grounds keep away snails from garden plants, so she sometimes dumps ours on the garden soil. Most times we just toss them.

I find coffee grounds help my tomatoes. Based purely on laziness, I had one pot that was near the back door so all coffee grounds went into that pot. The next pot with the same soil originally and with seeds from the same tomato, didn't do as well. Both plants were watered the same and in almost the same conditions/placement. Only difference was coffee grounds.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I had a weird thought. Quelle surprise! :001_rolle

Soapmakers put all kinds of gritty things into manly soaps for manly men who get manly dirt on them from doing manly work. Without consulting the Great Internet Oracle I can only surmise that somebody's done this with coffee grounds.

Been thinking about making more soap anyway...

O.H.

I pour them down the sink.

In law school, flat broke, we would reuse coffee grounds. Dump them out of the filter onto a paper towel. Let them dry until the next morning. Put them back in the coffee maker, twice as much as usual per cup, and rebrew.

It can be used a third time at a 3x normal dose, but the flavor is pretty bad.

Things we did when we had no money.

I pour them down the sink.

In law school, flat broke, we would reuse coffee grounds. Dump them out of the filter onto a paper towel. Let them dry until the next morning. Put them back in the coffee maker, twice as much as usual per cup, and rebrew.

It can be used a third time at a 3x normal dose, but the flavor is pretty bad.

Things we did when we had no money.
Yep. We only ever ran them twice, though. I guess we were more extravagant 😅

A little off-topic, but I was curious what others do with used coffee grounds after brewing coffee.

The Major either washes it down the drain w/boiling water - he's had plumbers recommend doing so to help keep pipes clean - or puts it in his Lomi composer mini appliance.

-MO

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I toss them out into the front beds and let nature take its course. We used to toss them into the vegetable garden, but we became concerned that our dog might get into them.

There are a lot of outside cats in the neighborhood and they are always marking their territory around my yard and driveway (especially car tires and side of the house). I've experimented with sprinkling my coffee grounds all around those spots and it seems to help stop the cats from spraying there. My neighbors see me out there every morning breaking up my spent espresso pucks and sprinkling all around and I'm sure they think I'm out of my mind - they're probably not wrong! :letterk1:

Since I moved to a lever machine, my pucks most of the times don't brake when they fall from the portafilter. Sometimes I collect them and put on a plate, they really look like brownies. I serve them later to guests for a good laugh (mine).

I added some to my shop soap that I made. You know soap for greasy nasty hands. It works great as an exfoliant and made it a quite scrubby soap.
I use it as a shop hand cleaner too. Not mixed with soap though, just straight out of the coffee filter. It's both the gritty scrub, and the combined moisture and oil remaining in the grounds, that make it great for cleaning. Hands feel great after a scrub too.

I'm going to have to start saving mine.
Single shots and double shot brownies.

IMG_2038.jpeg

Top Bottom