What's new

How do I stop RAD? Serious question.

I did a post where I used a few razors and blades that were firsts for me: first DE razor, first vintage, first open comb, first adjustable. I used the same four razors over the course of a few weeks using blades I used when I started: Derby, Astra, Feather. Ever since then, I haven't felt the need to buy anything. In fact, I've been thinking about getting rid of a lot of the stuff I have. I don't know why it worked the way it did. Maybe using the same setup in a scrutinizing fashion made me a little more wary of what I want to buy. Maybe I've just dialed in on the small selection I enjoy and everything else is just superfluous. Or maybe it's just the eye in the storm before another big purchase, but it's not feeling that way. I think I'm more interested now in getting a nice ATT setup than collecting random items.

I think one thing is to pick your favorite, and just use it for a month straight. Get really good with the one razor. Get so you can get BBS and no irritation. Sticking with one razor for a while I think helps with this. Then you'll figure out that you don't have to chase a perfect shave -- you can do it with what you have. That won't necessarily stop you from wanting a new razor because of hype, or how it looks, or something, but it will stop any element of chasing the Elusive Perfect Shave through spending more.

Seems to help with me, anyway. I have a bunch of razors, of course... but I haven't bought a new one in a little while, at least. I lust after razors that are beyond my budget, and then reason with myself that my shaves are really, really good without it!

Yes, it's a thread with about 50 gentlemen supporting each other to take a month and just chill out with buying shaving related stuff. Join if you feel led to, brother...

It's not about "chasing the Elusive Perfect Shave," at least not for me. I can get a near-perfect BBS shave with just about any of the razors in my collection with the right blade, good prep, and providing I do my part.

I get a kick out of deciding what razor/blade/soap/etc. I will use each morning. After so many years of absent-mindedly grabbing the same cartridge razor every day, it is a real uptick in my daily routine.

In addition, I find it fascinating to shave with a razor that may be up to a century old. While shaving I sometimes like to think about what was going on in the world at the time the razor I'm using was manufactured.

Like a lot of things, a good part of the thrill is in the chase. I get a real rush from sniping a razor off the auction site for a fraction of its value, or finding a pristine rarety at a flea market for next to nothing.

But mostly, I keep buying razors . . . .

Because I can.

--Bob

It's not about "chasing the Elusive Perfect Shave," at least not for me. I can get a near-perfect BBS shave with just about any of the razors in my collection with the right blade, good prep, and providing I do my part.

I get a kick out of deciding what razor/blade/soap/etc. I will use each morning. After so many years of absent-mindedly grabbing the same cartridge razor every day, it is a real uptick in my daily routine.

In addition, I find it fascinating to shave with a razor that may be up to a century old. While shaving I sometimes like to think about what was going on in the world at the time the razor I'm using was manufactured.

Like a lot of things, a good part of the thrill is in the chase. I get a real rush from sniping a razor off the auction site for a fraction of its value, or finding a pristine rarety at a flea market for next to nothing.

But mostly, I keep buying razors . . . .

Because I can.

--Bob

Spidey is wise ...

spidey is not trying to overcome RAD, though! I have a bunch of razors to rotate. I just lust after new ones less after sticking with one for a while and having it feel perfect.

I have no idea if this will help with anyone else's RAD problem (and certainly know it won't help for those who are happy to collect more, but it's not meant for that).

My solution is easy: run out of money. I only have so much budget for toys. When it's gone I have to wait until I can replenish it. Pretty easy for me to keep it in check since it's not a big budget. If you have lots of disposable income I could see how this could be a problem.

An honest reply was for me to decide what I wanted. I wanted stainless which knocks out 99% of the razors out there. I wanted uncoated. That leaves only a couple. I bought them and am done with buying tons of razors. They all shave good and you can only use one at a time. I would rather have one keepsake then using a bunch of random razors.

Put a block on your computer that allows you to search for anything that has ,razor, vintage, antique, or gillette listed in it. Then let your wife have the pass code to change the blocked settings. If you can't do that, you're screwed.
You could also just pile everything on your kitchen table, that you have bought, and leave them there, until you you are so ashamed at what you have become, and change your wicked ways.:blink:. Not a neat pretty pile. But, a big, ugly, shameful pile, that you deserve to see. Because let's face, you have a problem.

Me, I just call it a hobby, my wife tolerates it, and she sometimes lays claims to a razor or two.

Well, I'm relieved! I am still very new with DE razors and I've found myself eyeing a few. I like collecting older models of objects and so naturally I'm all over ebay right now pricing things out, haha! I also having been looking at some modern razors, this will be an issue for me for a long time haha!

Any hunger stops when it is satisfied and any AD is simply a hunger. If you are new to wetshaving and the desire is to just to try one of each type of razor, then make it a goal to get razors that sample the spectrum.

I started with a mild Superspeed but wanted to try a three piece so I bought a Tech. I liked the Tech but wondered if Open Comb would give a closer shave so an LC New joined the ranks.

Loved that so I wondered if a REALLY aggressive razor would finally give me a BBS on my neck and picked up a FaTip. The FaTip is more aggression than I need so RAD began to get under control because my curiosity was beginning to be satisfied.

In between these razors, I picked up two straights and use those on occasion. My last acquisitions were 2 injectors, one mild and one aggressive. I found that I REALLY love the injectors so now my daily users consist of two injectors, the LC New and one SR. I am looking at selling some razors that don't see much use. RAD has run it's course.

The key to any AD is determining why you seek to accumulate and the scratching that itch. My toughest obsession is SAD because I love a variety of soap scents. Once I perfected a technique that ensured I could get a workable lather from any soap, I had to pick a couple that are my favorite and put them in open mugs. Cella and Orange Spice from IanS are loaded now. Then when I walk past the shave den, I get whiffs of those scents. I will still try new scents when these are gone but the compulsion to buy everything is gone.

Find the razor that you like, and move on. The result for me? I have 2 DE razors (and no RAD), and

- 4 shaving soaps (not that bad)
- 7 aftershaves (getting worse)
- 7 colognes (because you might want to match or complement scents of course)
- 18 fountain pen inks (this is where the problem starts)
- 37 fountain pens (and only one hand to write with, ouch)

Another way to stop RAD is to take a look at this topic :tongue_sm

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/76104-Watch-Ya-Wearing

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Buy the single finest straight razor that you can afford and commit to learning it and using it daily. You'll soon wonder why you bought DE razors in the first place.

Here's my solution:

Pick your favorite razor and buy a backup (although you don't need it) and know that you have the best. Sell or donate the rest. Don't look back. Then start collecting soaps.

Buy the single finest straight razor that you can afford and commit to learning it and using it daily. You'll soon wonder why you bought DE razors in the first place.
But Straight RAD is even more dangerous... and it leads to things like Hone Acquisition Disorder and Strop Acquisition Disorder....

At least that might be delayed during the time it takes to really learn to shave with the thing. Unless you're one of those weirdos who got into this because they liked the idea of honing (not that I know anyone like that...)

Top Bottom