What's new

Which Razors Give You the Best Results?

Fun is not what I call shaving, as I have 60 plus years of it.

Now it is less of chore, with less ingrowns, as beard is thinner then at 16 y/o.

Vintage Gillettes are weapon of choice with blade I grab from stash.

Think of buying & trying modern, leaning toward a Karve Overlander.
After 30+ years of shaving, discovering DE shaving has made it much more enjoyable. I call that fun. Trying different razors and blades; this is all a hobby for me, not a chore. I don’t HAVE to shave; I choose to.

I could sell this all today and go back to using clippers to trim my beard.

I achieve similar excellent results from all three of my razors by adjusting my technique to match each razors level of aggressiveness. These razors include:
  • Weishi 9306 Long Handle
  • Razorock/Baili Adjust
  • King C. Gillette

Have you by any chance tried a GameChanger .84P, Edwin Jagger 3one6 or Lupo 95 ?

If so how does the Muhle Rocca shave compared to these ? I've read from some people it shaves similarly to the 3one6 but not everybody agrees, many say it is more aggressive than the 3one6 with more blade feel.
I have owned, but no longer own, the GameChanger .84P and the Edwin Jagger 3one6. I currently own the Rocca, a GameChanger 1.05 and a Lupo .95 OC. I was one of the folks who has said that the 3one6 and Rocca shaved quite similarly, and since I love the birch bark handle of the Rocca I kept the Rocca and sold the 3one6. I found the GameChanger .84 to be less efficient than the Rocca, but a very smooth shaver. The GameChanger 1.05 is as efficient as the Rocca and a bit smoother. The Lupo .95 open comb is the most efficient of this group, but also the harshest (although by no means is it a particularly harsh shaving razor).
of
So, in the spirit of the original thread, if you're looking for the most efficient razor of the group, go with the Lupo .95 OC. (Of course, all these evaluations are just my personal observations and, as always, YMMV).

I have owned, but no longer own, the GameChanger .84P and the Edwin Jagger 3one6. I currently own the Rocca, a GameChanger 1.05 and a Lupo .95 OC. I was one of the folks who has said that the 3one6 and Rocca shaved quite similarly, and since I love the birch bark handle of the Rocca I kept the Rocca and sold the 3one6. I found the GameChanger .84 to be less efficient than the Rocca, but a very smooth shaver. The GameChanger 1.05 is as efficient as the Rocca and a bit smoother. The Lupo .95 open comb is the most efficient of this group, but also the harshest (although by no means is it a particularly harsh shaving razor).
of
So, in the spirit of the original thread, if you're looking for the most efficient razor of the group, go with the Lupo .95 OC. (Of course, all these evaluations are just my personal observations and, as always, YMMV).
Thanks for the feedback. You say the 3one6 and Rocca shaved quite similarly, does the Rocca bend the blade as much as the 3one6 ? Because it is a big difference between the 3one6 and the GC .84P for example, the GC .84P does not bend the blade as much and the angle and shave feel different due to that.

I might be in the minority but personally the 3one6 bending the blade the way it does works great for me so I wonder if the Rocca would as well, I've toyed with the idea of acquiring a Rocca for the look, I too enjoy the Birch handle look.

Thanks for the feedback. You say the 3one6 and Rocca shaved quite similarly, does the Rocca bend the blade as much as the 3one6 ? Because it is a big difference between the 3one6 and the GC .84P for example, the GC .84P does not bend the blade as much and the angle and shave feel different due to that.

I might be in the minority but personally the 3one6 bending the blade the way it does works great for me so I wonder if the Rocca would as well, I've toyed with the idea of acquiring a Rocca for the look, I too enjoy the Birch handle look.
Since I no longer have a 3one6, and since it's not something I ever thought much about, I cannot compare how much it bends the blade vs. the Rocca. I can say that the Rocca bends the blade more than the GameChanger 1.05. The Lupo .95OC also keeps the blade fairly flat, while the Karve Christopher Bradley falls somewhere between the Rocca and the GameChanger with regard to bending the blade. The Blackland Dart seems to bend the blade at least as much as the Rocca, and the champion blade bender among my razors is the RazoRock SuperSlant, which twists it as well.

Razors that I want to love...but don't.

The Vikings Blade Emperor.
20231210_151846~2.jpg

Just too many machined sharp edges on the head. I haven't given up on this yet. It looks too awesome to be this mediocre.

The Pearl Flexi Open Comb.
20231208_233217~2.jpg

I think I would've been much happier with the solid bar rather than the open comb. My Yaqi "The Final Cut" is much more enjoyable for me to use.

Razors that I want to love...but don't.

The Vikings Blade Emperor.
View attachment 1782141
Just too many machined sharp edges on the head. I haven't given up on this yet. It looks too awesome to be this mediocre.

The Pearl Flexi Open Comb.
View attachment 1782142
I think I would've been much happier with the solid bar rather than the open comb. My Yaqi "The Final Cut" is much more enjoyable for me to use.
I LOVE the solid bar Pearl Flexi. It's become my favorite modern DE razor.
As for the Vikings Blade, I want to love my Emperor Meiji ... but I can't. I keep retiring it to the shave shed, hiding it deep in the back, trying to shame it, hoping that somehow it will transform itself into a great razor but the trick hasn't worked yet. It's my most inconsistent razor, one that's highly blade dependent and wavers between terrible shaves and really good shaves with little in between.
The Flexi, OTOH, although I've only shave with it three times, has delivered simply amazingly smooth and close shaves each time. Color me impressed.

Best of the Best(results and longevity of smoothness after)
ATT H1 and H2
Charcoal goods LVL 3 with magnum handle(Gen 1)
Muhle R-41

Just a bit less than the above:
Wolfman WR-1, and 2(open comb and solid bar)
Gillette NEW LC, Gillette Pre-War tech(great for closing the eyes and just getting it done), Gillette Red Tip, Timeless OC(.95)
Gillette Travel OC (England)

Great but I have to be very careful: Merkur Futur.

Definitely third tier:
Gillette Adjustables(fatboy and Slim)

Rockwell 6S

In the past two years I owned about five razors, starting with the Vikings Chieftan. Then moved to the Muhle R89 which is very nice. Then picked up the Merkur 37C slant to compliment the Muhle. Then got the Rockwell 6C and was totally satisfied with that being the one razor that can do it all with the appropriate plate for the current growth. Since that razor was so nice I decided to upgrade that to the 6S, the stainless steal version, to have a razor that ideally should suite me for the rest of my life. Plates 2, 3, and 4 are my most used. Plate 1 is never used. Plates 5 and 6 only used for 3 or more days growth which is rare. Blade of choice is currently Perma-Sharp,and I recently picked up 300 when I learned they stopped making them in Russia. So I am set with blades until my early 70’s, and with a razor for life - the Rockwell has a lifetime warranty, even if you drop and damage it. Lifetime warranty only when purchased direct from their website or if you purchase from their ‘amazon storefront’ and register it at Rockwell

I have so damned many razors . . . I really need to thin the herd, but my most comfortable and reliable, in order might surprise some:

1) Pearl Something or other -- Closed comb, fairly long and heavy handle, 3-piece. Had it more than 20 years -- don't know the model but it appearst to be is this one on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Pearl-Piece-Safety-Razor-Black/dp/B00TOUJ9OU

2) Pearl or Cadet (same thing) open comb 3-piece similar to above with slightly shorter, swirly orange and black handle.

3) Gillette Tech - Particularly a Canadian Made on with the triangular holes in the plate - original Gillette fat handle of the day.

4) Gillette New - short comb (open comb) - original Gillette fat handle of the day.

I like a reasonably aggressive razor. That Gillette Tech above seems more aggressive than other Techs I have, but it is still at the lower end of aggressiveness to my taste. Probably my Gillette New short comb is the most aggressive of the 4 mentioned above. My blades currently in order of favoritism are Russian Astra Platinums, Gillette Silver Blues, and Shark Platinums.

Cheers!
Tony

Top Bottom