What's new

Which Razors Give You the Best Results?

For me that would be the Edwin Jagger 3one6, that being said I don't have as many razors as some people here.

I think it comes from the fact that I have somewhat sensitive skin but very coarse beard, I usually get poor results from very gentle razors since I have to keep repeating strokes up until I get irritation but at the same time I cannot go all the way to the R41 or other really highly aggressive razors either as razors with too heavy exposure tend to aggravate my skin.

I've also noticed that razors that bend the blade a good amount tend to perform better for me (the 3one6 does) compared to the ones that hold the blade straight like the Lupo 95.

I'm actually interested to hear from people who enjoy the 3one6 what other razors they found to shave similarly in results and blade feel.

I've read some people say the Muhle Rocca shaves a bit similarly to the 3one6 but others say it has more blade feel so it's difficult to know who to believe.

For me so far it is the DE89 and Muhle Rocca

Have you by any chance tried a GameChanger .84P, Edwin Jagger 3one6 or Lupo 95 ?

If so how does the Muhle Rocca shave compared to these ? I've read from some people it shaves similarly to the 3one6 but not everybody agrees, many say it is more aggressive than the 3one6 with more blade feel.

Have you by any chance tried a GameChanger .84P, Edwin Jagger 3one6 or Lupo 95 ?

If so how does the Muhle Rocca shave compared to these ? I've read from some people it shaves similarly to the 3one6 but not everybody agrees, many say it is more aggressive than the 3one6 with more blade feel.
I have tried the CG .84, to me it shaves very similar to the Rocca. They both shave great, it really comes down to aesthetics with these two.

I have not tried the 3one6 or Lupo 95.

After a number of years collecting, selling, trading etc I now have 13 (soon to be 14) razors that all have one thing in common...they ALL give me excellent shaves. This has been the result of a long time trying and comparing which was also fun.
Fb48.gif

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Great razors that give great results consistently.

Razorock 2nd generation Lupo.72 DE razor, mid range.
Yaqi 2nd generation Mellon 316 SSP double open comb head DE razor. Mid range.
Yaqi Excalibur and Romulus 316 SSP SE AC type 50mm razors. Mild to tame mid range.
Eveready 1914 SE, mid range to upper mid range.
Gem Micromatic (peerless model) clog Pruf , mid range.
Gem 1912 SE, mild to tame mid range.
Star bar #4 SE lather catcher with a fresh blade. Mfg 1919-20. Mild to tame mid range.
Schick E2 Canadian variant injector. Mid range.

Last edited:

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
After a number of years collecting, selling, trading etc I now have 13 (soon to be 14) razors that all have one thing in common...they ALL give me excellent shaves. This has been the result of a long time trying and comparing which was also fun.
View attachment 1765698
If I can finally get the right base plate for my RR SuperSlant, that will be 13 for me....The L1++OC will show up sometime this week, I think. UPS lost it somewhere in Jacksonville, FL the first time it was shipped.

Then I have one more to try to figure out: the ATT Windsor. I only have one stainless steel base plate, i.e., the SSRH. I have a couple other aluminum base plates that will work with it and one of the Windsor Pro base plates. I'm looking now.... I have the SS SB90.

I also have the aluminum Windsor Pro with 3 base plates: SB90 (black); ALRH (red); ALMR (blue).

I bought all the ATT DE razors during their close out sale. I'll be keeping a close eye on the new releases when BlackLand re-introduces ATT back into the marketplace sometime next year.

Anyway, I hope to end up with 14 razors I can select on a whim and get the same 12 hour shaves.... or the 10 hour shaves I get from two of them.

My razors which give me the best shaves (in order):
  1. YAQI Romulus Polished 316 SS AC type SE w/ RR Barber Pole handle (close, comfortable, carefree) [shown]
  2. Game Changer .84 with the Personna Comfort Coated blade (close, comfortable, carefree)
  3. RR Hawk v3 w/ the Schick Proline P-30 blade (close, comfortable, relatively carefree)
  4. RR BBS with the A plate and any very sharp DE blade (relatively close, comfortable, carefree)
    Romulus 01.jpg
The Romulus is apparently patterned after the Blackland Vector, but I've been told by someone who has both razors that the Romulus both feels and shaves differently from the Vector. So the Romulus is not a clone. Yaqi apparently borrowed some design cues from Blackland to make their own similar but distinct razor. I'd say the result is stunning except for the handle which I found to be too thin and too smooth, prompting me to replace it with the Barber Pole -- a perfect fit.

IMG_6282.png
IMG_6281.png
IMG_6242.jpeg
IMG_6283.png
These ones in no particular order. All capable of a super shave……
Souplex……punches well above its weight and loves to go ATG where it excels in whisker annihilation. (Not with that blade in the picture though!!)
7 O’clock OC……a fantastic shave. All round excellence. Might be top of the class.
Gillette made in England OC….classic and just superb shaving performance.
Henson Ti+++ aggressive. Smooth blade like an Astra, BIC or Wizamet yields an ultimate BBS. It’s almost too easy.

Vintage Razors:
Gem Micromatic CP
Injector Type E
Gillette Red Tip
Gillette Tech
Gillette Fatboy

Modern:
Parker OC Variant
EJ 3one6
Razorock L3 Slant
Ikon Slant
Razorock Lupo 95

I sold my Lupo 95 because it took away the fun of shaving every day.

Fun is not what I call shaving, as I have 60 plus years of it.

Now it is less of chore, with less ingrowns, as beard is thinner then at 16 y/o.

Vintage Gillettes are weapon of choice with blade I grab from stash.

Think of buying & trying modern, leaning toward a Karve Overlander.

ATT SB90 Windsor pro

Also... It looks like you drank the Kool-Aid @Chickencutlets . Not for me this year or next year but maybe after I might see him Maxwell June come my way
Not necessarily that I drank the kool aid. It’s just that with my skin I can’t go too aggressive on my razor and go two passes two get BBS WTG and ATG. I have a wild beard pattern and on the neck and jaw I need to go XTG go get BBS and that always leads to irritation unless I am using a Maxwell June or a Feather AS-D2 which is saying a lot because even cartridges I skip out on the XTG pass. It’s usually always asking for trouble. Figure I’ve been shaving for 20 years now so I think I have somewhat of an understanding of what may or may not work with my skin , however I’m still learning which is a double entendre 😂.

I have a bunch of razors. My favorite razors do not necessarily give me the best shave. I have a few that for aesthetic reasons I like best. Got a few vintage Gillettes that are awesome (including a Fat Boy and Slim). However, my top three for best shaves are:

1. Merkur Slant (I use when I have not shaved over a long weekend)
2. Fine Accoutrements
3. Henson (mild version)

I have been using the Henson lately. The Henson is the nicest looking of the bunch. Don't know why, but these work best for me.
Plus 1 for the Henson Mild! I have tried around a dozen or so razors, and have landed in this one for now. I don't collect razors, I buy them and try them and sell them off if I don't love them. I do enjoy a mild razor. I tried some aggressive razors, and found that I still needed a 3 pass shave for BBS results. Having more blade exposure usually resulted in possible nicks/weepers, so I enjoy the trouble free shaving the Henson Mild delivers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom