What's new

Which Razors Give You the Best Results?

I have a bunch of razors. My favorite razors do not necessarily give me the best shave. I have a few that for aesthetic reasons I like best. Got a few vintage Gillettes that are awesome (including a Fat Boy and Slim). However, my top three for best shaves are:

1. Merkur Slant (I use when I have not shaved over a long weekend)
2. Fine Accoutrements
3. Henson (mild version)

I have been using the Henson lately. The Henson is the nicest looking of the bunch. Don't know why, but these work best for me.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

proxy.php
IMG_5911.JPG

proxy.php

Introducing my Blackland Osprey Adjustable, made out of stainless steel perfection, a true beauty to behold. But this razor ticks all the boxes, not just in beauty and overall construction, but also in its ability to produce perfect shaves for me. It can be mild or highly efficient, depends on where I adjust it. It works perfectly with Wizamet blades from the Super Iridium series.

The Osprey is literally the smoothest shaving razor, in my collection of a dozen razors, it even beats my vintage Gillette Fatboy razor, and that is saying something. But of course, its pretty difficult for a mild Fatboy, to compare to a shaving king like an Osprey. I mean, setting level 9 on my Osprey could shave the butt off a Ryno!

But where my Gillette Fatboy fails in efficiency, my Rex Ambassador fails in smoothness. My Ambassador is well named, because who is the Ambassador you ask? Why none other then Rex, AKA T-Rex, and he's always in a bad mood, I wonder why? Literally one of the roughest shaving razors in my collection, is that Ambassador.

So, when you combine amazing efficiency, amazing smoothness, as well as amazing beauty, then you have a Blackland Osprey. I got a full review on it, and I recommend it to beginners, intermediate, as well as experienced wet shavers, thats how safe of a razor that is. The only hurdle anyone will have to get over, especially beginners, is the cost of buying one.

But like many quality razors out there, made by top class artisans, you are certainly going to pay, they don't come cheap. But if you wanted a be all end all razor, AKA holy grail, I think the Blackland Osprey is it. Could a brand new traditional wet shaver start off with an Osprey razor purchase, and end their RAD there? Absolutely!

But will you stop there if I have anything to say about it? Absolutely not. I am a B&B enabler doggone, I have to maintain my enabling principles. But, in all seriousness, the Osprey is where its at, and I couldn't recommend that razor more if I could, best darn razor in my collection. And the only reason why my Timeless TI95 razor still maintains its position is for two reason. A, its made of Titanium, and B, its engraved.

Introducing my Blackland Osprey Adjustable, made out of stainless steel perfection, a true beauty to behold. But this razor ticks all the boxes, not just in beauty and overall construction, but also in its ability to produce perfect shaves for me. It can be mild or highly efficient, depends on where I adjust it. It works perfectly with Wizamet blades from the Super Iridium series.

The Osprey is literally the smoothest shaving razor, in my collection of a dozen razors, it even beats my vintage Gillette Fatboy razor, and that is saying something. But of course, its pretty difficult for a mild Fatboy, to compare to a shaving king like an Osprey. I mean, setting level 9 on my Osprey could shave the butt off a Ryno!

But where my Gillette Fatboy fails in efficiency, my Rex Ambassador fails in smoothness. My Ambassador is well named, because who is the Ambassador you ask? Why none other then Rex, AKA T-Rex, and he's always in a bad mood, I wonder why? Literally one of the roughest shaving razors in my collection, is that Ambassador.

So, when you combine amazing efficiency, amazing smoothness, as well as amazing beauty, then you have a Blackland Osprey. I got a full review on it, and I recommend it to beginners, intermediate, as well as experienced wet shavers, thats how safe of a razor that is. The only hurdle anyone will have to get over, especially beginners, is the cost of buying one.

But like many quality razors out there, made by top class artisans, you are certainly going to pay, they don't come cheap. But if you wanted a be all end all razor, AKA holy grail, I think the Blackland Osprey is it. Could a brand new traditional wet shaver start off with an Osprey razor purchase, and end their RAD there? Absolutely!

But will you stop there if I have anything to say about it? Absolutely not. I am a B&B enabler doggone, I have to maintain my enabling principles. But, in all seriousness, the Osprey is where its at, and I couldn't recommend that razor more if I could, best darn razor in my collection. And the only reason why my Timeless TI95 razor still maintains its position is for two reason. A, its made of Titanium, and B, its engraved.
Well stated @Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker 👍🏻😊💈

The Merkur slant design is great once you find the right blade.

Looking forward to seeing the Above the Tie S1 slant again on the market. Definitely understated and a top performer. Seems it had a time and really didn’t get much recent traction.

Gillette Postwar etched cap tech. Followed by 40s Superspeed/ranger tech, then Fatboy, super adjustable and slim.

the Razorock Superslant L2 keeps growing on me.

The best, clean and deep shave I get from the R41 GS in combination with the Feather blade.
The result is always the same, absolute BBS. As with every subsequent time, the technique improves and it happens easier and faster.

My best results come from the combination of a ‘mild/moderate’ razor plus a sharp blade.

That said, the more rigid the design the better!

These considerations likely explain my favorite razor, the Wolfman WR1 which delivers superb shaves!!

:a29::a29:

The incredible, the remarkable, the almost supernaturally good

Souplex English 1930's OC
IMG_20230222_202047567.jpg

I have quite a few razors, and quite a few OC's but this razor is uncanny. Apex shaver in my collection.

As good as the best Tech for a daily driver

Will see off a fortnight's beard in 2 passes.

I don't know what they did in the Morcombe Souplex factory to create this little beauty, but they sprinkled some magic razor fairy dust on the head design. Highly recommend if you can pick one up.

It gives a guaranteed 12 hour+ BBS shave (from repeated personal experience) while being incredibly gentle.

Souplex Owners Club - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/souplex-owners-club.636564/

Last edited:
For me, it's the razors made by Yates:
  • Winning (I have v1): Mild yet somehow surprisingly efficient
  • Merica: Mild to medium and very smooth, yet also efficient
  • 921-H: Smooth, easy to use, very efficient--top of my den
I also enjoy the R41 GS, although it's not as easy to use as the Yates razors. It offers efficiency similar to the 921-H.

The Blackbird is also efficient (but not quite to the level of the 921-H and R41), but the (shallow) angle it's designed to use feels somehow unnatural to me. I have tried using the Blackbird at a steeper angle, but I don't find it very pleasant.

My top performers are:
Ti Blackbird
Ti Yates 921-H
Henson Ti22+++
Athena
Vector

All great daily shavers but I tend to rotate every couple of shaves to give them all some love.

Top Bottom