What's new

More Efficient But as Smooth As Overlander -- Daily Shaver

Agree with @Phoenixkh La Faulx is like Overlander but more efficient, I find also medium + plate very fine. But it is SE and not cheap. Bayonetta was big surprise for me, I don't like bigger blade exposure but here the numbers are not telling how easy and efficient Bayonetta is. I didn't think it until bought one myself..

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
How would you describe the bayonetta in terms of blade feel and efficiency ? It seems you put it above the Overlander in efficiency, does it amplify the blade feel quite a bit ? I read it has a 0.15mm blade exposure which is twice bigger than the Overlander but it also has a different geometry so that's why I'm asking.

Agree with @Phoenixkh La Faulx is like Overlander but more efficient, I find also medium + plate very fine. But it is SE and not cheap. Bayonetta was big surprise for me, I don't like bigger blade exposure but here the numbers are not telling how easy and efficient Bayonetta is. I didn't think it until bought one myself..
I'll be honest... I didn't even look at the Bayonetta specs. A few friends here with whom I share the same likes and needs bought a Bayonetta and like it. It was so inexpensive, I bought one. I was very pleased at how smooth and comfortable it was... and it gives me 12 hour shaves, which is one of my "needs"....

I only had an Overlander for a short time. I got mine used and I could never get it to work well for me. This was early on in my own journey and I had no yet learned how to speak "razor"..... I've considered buying one again but @spacemonkey42 reminded me.... all my Top Razors are just that 1/2 a step more efficient than the Overlander and he told me, it was unlikely I'd enjoy it as much as the razors I already have. I think that was very sound advice... for me, at least.

This isn't a putdown of the Overlander.... So many people here just love theirs...

To your specific question... I didn't notice much "blade feel".... but until recently, I didn't even know what that meant, as none of my razors seem to make that an issue. I got a little Knockout razor not too long ago... With that one, I can feel the blade immediately and it lets me know.... be careful. The Bayonetta didn't feel scary the first time I used it... and I've already had several very nice shaves with it.

Bayonetta was big surprise for me, I don't like bigger blade exposure but here the numbers are not telling how easy and efficient Bayonetta is. I didn't think it until bought one myself..
I agree. I’ve never used an Overlander, but I do have aluminum Hensons in mild and aggressive. For me the Bayonetta is nearly as efficient as the aggressive, but a good bit smoother. It does not feel like .15 exposure at all.

Alternately, should I just give up the grail quest for near BBS daily? For those who do shave daily, do you simply go for "DFS" with 2, maybe 3 passes max, and call it good using a milder razor?
That's what I did. I aim for CCS on neck and DFS everywhere else. If I aim for BBS, I get skin tears in different places on the neck, chin, and sometimes even upper lip. I use AS-D2 + Bic Chrome.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Alternately, should I just give up the grail quest for near BBS daily? For those who do shave daily, do you simply go for "DFS" with 2, maybe 3 passes max, and call it good using a milder razor?
My beard is old, gray, wiry and generally cantankerous (chaotic with lots of swirls). Face has lots of nooks and crannies. Skin is not sensitive. Shave daily. Have really focused on AC blade razors for some time.

I gave up the "Quest for Daily BBS" as-of 1/1/2020 and have not regretted doing so.

With the various razors I use (please see the shaves in My Journal: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge), I can get to, at least, DFS with a 3-Pass plus touch-ups shave. Sometimes I stop at a 2-pass shave and call it good.

By relaxing and not getting hung up on "BBS", my shaves are more pleasurable and effective.

Just my opinion.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
For a daily shaver with a combination of tough beard but mild skin and a VERY angular face with loose skin (I'm very thin), I've been struggling to find something more efficient than the Overlander but equally smooth/mild. I've tried MANY razors thus far, from Masamune to Hensons (thru Aggressive) to standard Blackbird (too aggressive).

Thus far the Overlander appears as close to "goldilocks" as it's gonna get for me, but curious if anyone has recommendations? I find the Overlander even with a (corked) Feather a bit too mild
To answer the rest of your question:

My favorite DE blade razor is the Blackland Razors Ti Blackbird SB but, given that you found the Blackbird too efficient, my recommendation is the Lambda Athena.

Thus far the Overlander appears as close to "goldilocks" as it's gonna get for me, but curious if anyone has recommendations? I find the Overlander even with a (corked) Feather a bit too mild

To the first part of your question, Have you tried the RazoRock Game Changer .84P? It gives an amazingly smooth and efficient shave, and you don't have to invest a fortune to get one. It's still less aggressive than some of my other razors. If that proves too aggressive, you can buy the .76P plate for it and back off the aggressiveness a touch.

I currently have those plates but am using the milder .68P plate for the GC, because I have to worry about irritation and a psoriasis flare-up, so a CCS shave (some days DFS) is proving "good enough".

That gets to the second part of your question. I used to chase BBS myself, but it came at the cost of constant irritation and a patch of psoriasis on my left cheek that flares up if I get too aggressive with the shaves. Personally, I'm skeptical of the people who shave more than a few times a week and claim to get BBS every time. I don't think it's sustainable for most men unless they have thin beards. It may also be that the definition of "BBS" is very subjective.

Ask yourself what your goal is in shaving. Will anyone care if you have a little 5 o'clock shadow in the afternoon? Maybe just go for CCS or DFS for the weekdays and then treat yourself to a nice BBS on a weekend day (or date night). Historically, I'm guessing that's what most men did before they started talking to each other about shaving on the Internet! :)

For a daily shaver with a combination of tough beard but mild skin and a VERY angular face with loose skin (I'm very thin), I've been struggling to find something more efficient than the Overlander but equally smooth/mild. I've tried MANY razors thus far, from Masamune to Hensons (thru Aggressive) to standard Blackbird (too aggressive).

I have to use a lot of face pulling, neck craning, cheek blowing, etc. due to my loose skin

If the OP is still around... May I ask if you are going ATG? What is not efficient about the Overlander for you and the way you shave?

On a side note - I did a side-by-side comparison with the Overlander and my WR2 0.95 sb. 2 WTG passes only to see what was more "efficient" and I got the what I felt and saw was virtually indistinguishable. It made me really wonder how much more "efficient" can you actually get if you are going WTG only. This has really made me search for razors that are amazing ATG because that is the only way I'm going to get an even closer shave.

Last edited:
You might look into the Muhle R4, a very good and efficient razor, The Pearl Flexi OC adjustable, Razorine FlatBoy...these are razors I've found to be very efficient without peeling skin off as well.

If the OP is still around... May I ask if you are going ATG? What is not efficient about the Overlander for you and the way you shave?

On a side note - I did a side-by-side comparison with the Overlander and my WR2 0.95 sb. 2 WTG passes only to see what was more "efficient" and I got the what I felt and saw was virtually indistinguishable. It made me really wonder how much more "efficient" can you actually get if you are going WTG only. This has really made me search for razors that are amazing ATG because that is the only way I'm going to get an even closer shave.

This is an excellent answer. Typically, using even the most efficient razors like the R41 pre 2011 and doing 1 pass or 2 passes will not get you a closer shave than doing the full WTG + XTG + ATG with a gentler razor like GC .68P, Overlander, or even Gillette Tech. This is because there is no substitute for an ATG pass if you want to be BBS, at the end of the day nothing beats tackling growth from all possible angles. Typically highly efficient razors will allow you to save time as with 2 passes WTG / XTG you could still get in DFS territory but if you want to be dolphin smooth, nothing can replace an ATG pass.

Typically I have the same question at the person I quoted. The Overlander, even though gentle is quite efficient, I don't see how one could not be BBS after an ATG pass with it. Keep in mind this comes from a person with a dense, coarse beard (genetically mediterranean) and I get BBS with the Overlander just fine (I used very sharp blades: gillette nacets or gillette platinums)

Top Bottom