What's new

Gin Recommendations

Recently bought a bottle of Hendricks for use in dry martinis.

The additions are not unnoticeable. Especially rose.

I like it, but this is the first "decent" Gin I've ever tried. The fiance says that the martini was like drinking perfume. She's not sure how she feels about that. I like it quite a bit. Reminds me of the Cool Water fragrance, but not in a bad way. That's not to say that it's the same.. just that there are some things in common.

5:1 ratio of Hendricks and M&R dry vermouth, stirred, then strained.

I make a martini nearly every Friday and like Bombay Saphire and Plymouth. I keep a bottle of Hendricks on hand but only with tonic, never as a martini. I think Plymouth is the best value gin. I probably prefer Saphire just slightly to Plymouth

The best Gin I've had in a Gin and Tonic is Death's Door from Door County, Wisconsin. It has a great Juniper prolonged after taste, very pronounced, but not overpowering.

I kind of gave up on working towards being able to appreciate or enjoy scotch recently and so I've been drinking Gin and tonic the past couple of weeks for my evening beverage. I've had bottles of Gordon's, Beefeater, and Bombay Sapphire. I gotta say, and it's probably because I'm no gin expert and the tonic water overpowers the flavours to a certain extent, but I can't pick out any real appreciation for one over the other. Beefeater is always on sale at the liquor store so I think I'll probably go with that for the time being.

Tonight. Boodles, Noilly Pratt, 1 Tbsp. olive juice. Shaken like crazy with lots of ice, pour into delicate glass with about 9 pimento stuffed olives nesting at the bottom. Lovely.

Tonight. Boodles, Noilly Pratt, 1 Tbsp. olive juice. Shaken like crazy with lots of ice, pour into delicate glass with about 9 pimento stuffed olives nesting at the bottom. Lovely.

+!0,000! Not THAT'S the formula!

Though I sometimes go with Plymouth or Beefeater.

In any case, always stick to Noilly Pratt for Vermouth.

HMC, I am so glad you enjoy that recipe. Having an encore tonight (times 2 - yikes) with some "lightly salted" Kettle potato chips and some Alessi artichoke spread (not the best I've had, a little artificial tasting, but the chips are excellent, as good as "Cape Cod"). So here's a gin soaked olive to B&B!

I use Noilly Prat as well - just a touch. I'm drinking a Saphire martini right now actually. 3 large olives with pimento

I'm normally a Bombay Saphire or Tanq 10 drinker but last weekend I picked up a bottle of Blue Coat American Gin and it was outstanding. Spicy juniper, clean and smooth at a wonderful price-point. It has replaced Saphire and Tanq as my house Gin.

Last edited:
proxy.php
This is the stuff you want to try..

Zeer Oude Genever or Dutch Gin.
I was introduced to this gin by an ex (who happened to be Dutch)
You keep it in the fridge and is lethal when mixed with fresh orange juice.

Has anyone else tried Blue Coat, how about Bulldog from England?

Yes, I'm normally a Bombay Saphire or Tanq 10 drinker but I picked up a bottle of Blue Coat American Gin and it was outstanding. Spicy juniper, clean and smooth at a wonderful price-point. It has replaced Saphire and Tanq as my house Gin.

Yes, I'm normally a Bombay Saphire or Tanq 10 drinker but I picked up a bottle of Blue Coat American Gin and it was outstanding. Spicy juniper, clean and smooth at a wonderful price-point. It has replaced Saphire and Tanq as my house Gin.

Thanks Cuttingboard, it was your original post that made me buy it!! Really.

Top Bottom