What's new

Gin Recommendations

Have any of you tried New Amsterdam Gin? One of the local stores I shop at recommended it. It's pretty inexpensive, around $15-20 for a 750ml. I was surprised at the quality of it. It won best value/best tasting for 2009 at ginwisdom.com. I usually drink Tanqueray No. Ten or Boodles, but this one is a welcome addition.

This was my go to gin for a long time. It's $12-13 for 750ml around here and readily available. It is very good, and very much holds its own in strongly flavored cocktails like the gimlet that might overpower a softer gin. That being said, I finally found a bottle of Boodles and it will be replacing the New Amsterdam for most drinks, even though it's a few bucks more a bottle. It's just so incredibly smooth. I just need to find a consistent supply of it.

where is boodles from?

It was sold to Seagrams ,then to Pernod. I don't know where it's actually made nowadays. It's a London dry gin, with a bit of an oily finish. Makes a mean martini. Named after the Boodles gentlemen's club on St James street, of which Ian Fleming was a member. Supposedly the gin of choice of Winston Churchill, though Plymouth disputes this. Also the gin of choice of my late father-in-law, which was one of the two things on which we agreed.

I think you mentioned that you weren't a big fan of Beefeater. I actually like it in my G & T, but I prefer Tanqueray #10 in my martini. I just feel like the Beefeater and the tonic go particularly well, together ... especially on a warm summer late afternoon or early evening. Mmmmmm...... :001_smile

Cheers,
Matthew

Actually I never met a gin I did not like and Beefeater is actually very very nice. I was just looking for something with more juniper taste.

I have not found the "Gin of my memories" yet, but it is fun looking. I have been trying to remember what it was that I was drinking some 36 years ago, but have not come up with the name. Although, it may actually be Gordons and I have not tried that yet.

I think it is my memory or my abilty to distinguish tastes that is at fault. I just bought a bottle of Gordons and it has pictures of juniper berries on the bottle and mentions them in the description, but the taste still did not match my memories.

That said, it was a fine G&T! The upside is htat I now have three bottles to sample this summer!

Plymouth Gin...:thumbup1: Great Juniper flavour

Amen! Preach it brother!

I'm a Plymouth drinker myself- it's got something about it that's just more full flavored and rich than London dry gins like Gordon's or Tanqueray.

If you're a G&T guy, the Tanqueray Rangpur makes (IMO) a pretty fine G&T.

I only drink Gin occasionally and only in Gin and Tonic. My definition of good gin is one with a pronounced taste of juniper berries but this is after years of not drinking any gin and the ol' memory may be fooling me.

I have fond memories of some great summer drinks, but am really not totally satisfied with Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, or Beefeater.

Does anyone have any other recommendations. This need not be the high end stuff, I just want to find something that matches the juniper flavor of my memory and trust me -- in those days I was not drinking high end!

Seagrams, Gilbys, Gordons

Bombay Sapphire is my Gin of Choice.:drool:
Tanqueray is a distant second.
I have yet to try the Rangpur, but for a G&T it might be just the ticket.

I, 99% of the time am drinking it in a martini, but the G&T is for when I am at my parents during the summer months.

I don't ever see Boodles locally - I had to drive ~50 miles to get my bottle.

What I can find local, I really like:

1. Plymouth
2. Bluecoat (Phila. Distilling)
3. Tanqueray (tried a sample bottle, thought it was OK, but haven't sprung on a full-size bottle yet)

Here's my thoughts on gin, for what it's worth -

Boodles is OK (as a plus, it's bottled in Arkansas, how can you go wrong with that?) but a little on the pricey side for what it is.

Plymouth is great stuff, especially at its price point (about $18 for a bottle around here). Good for anything that wets your whistle.

Beefeater has never, ever let me down, either in G&T or cocktail form. The best dozen or so martinis I've ever had in an evening were Beefeaters at Murio's Trophy Room many decades ago. Flavor that just screams "GIN"! In its heyday, Beefeater was considered to be as good as it gets, gin-wise, a reputation which it still deserves today.

Hendrick's is a great product from the Glenfiddich people (Wm. Grant & Sons) with a very unique flavor, dangerously drinkable IMHO. :biggrin1:

I've never been a big fan of Sapphire, though you have to give it props for being the first modern "top-shelf" gin (even if it was conceived via focus group) - without it, a lot of the other brands around today might not exist. Better in martinis than highballs. Too expensive, however, when compared to its competitors.

Tanqueray is an old standard, though I would have to give the edge to Beefeater in the "classic gin taste" department (though Tanq is no slouch!). The Tanqueray variants are good in their own right as well, especially Rangpur. As the weather has heated up lately, I've become hooked on Ranjpur G&T's - they're like a yummy refreshing booze soda. Like Hendrick's, it's a gin with very different flavors than one is used to, luckily they're each quite unique so try them both! :thumbup:

Big +1 to the Hendricks. It is very nice. I ordered GT with it for a buddy of mine, and he stopped the bartender to let him look at the bottle to make sure he knew what to buy. Great stuff:thumbup:

Hard to find, if not imposible but Cork Gin from Ireland is hands down my favorate gin. I found my self using less and less tonic in my drinks as the night went on. Everytime my family goes to Ireland there is a standing order for a bottle of it.

I'm a creature of habit---Beefeater Martini , Noilly Prat (old formula), almond stuffed olive, straight up. This has been my drink of choice for over 25 years.:biggrin:

I commented on this in another thread, but the response is still applicable here.

I stumbled onto gin by chance. Whenever our family went out to dinner to celebrate something at a ritzy restaurant, my father would get a gin and tonic. His favorite, and mine, is Beefeater. Some people consider it a rail drink. Beefeater can hold its own with any gin IMHO.

When I want to step it up, I love Hendricks. It seems to be a little sweeter to me, but smooth as a BBS shave.

I didn't like gin at first because it tasted like I was drinking a glass of pine needles. Over time, and thanks to better quality bartenders, I got to taste better quality and found that gin is quite the spirit of choice.

Top Bottom