What's new

Gin Recommendations

I am enjoying some Boodles right now! Still not the flavor of my memory, but makes a fine G&T.

+1 The Ten is great stuff and definitely is juniper heavy.

This is not true at all. Tanq Ten is very good and a great one to like in your martinis because it's so readily available. But it contains virtually no juniper, it is a citrus heavy gin. Still good, quite good, but no where near juniper heavy.

This is not true at all. Tanq Ten is very good and a great one to like in your martinis because it's so readily available. But it contains virtually no juniper, it is a citrus heavy gin. Still good, quite good, but no where near juniper heavy.

This got me to thinking what the "families" of gins would be. I'm not that into gin, but off the top of my head:

1. London Dry Gin (with at least two subcategories: juniper dominant and citrus dominant as noted in quote above)
  2. Plymouth Gin
  3. Dutch Genever

Anyone want to draft a comprehensive list?

I totally agree. I don't notice any juniper to speak of in Tanq Ten. It is tasty, and a great gin to make a cocktail with for all of those who claim, "I hate gin".

A good use of this gin is Jeffrey Morgenthaler's Richmond Gimlet. Ten, Lime, syrup and Mint leaves, shaken beyond belief and served up.

Have any of you tried New Amsterdam Gin? One of the local stores I shop at recommended it. It's pretty inexpensive, around $15-20 for a 750ml. I was surprised at the quality of it. It won best value/best tasting for 2009 at ginwisdom.com. I usually drink Tanqueray No. Ten or Boodles, but this one is a welcome addition.

Plymouth Gin...:thumbup1: Great Juniper flavour

+ 1. Plymouth Gin is one of the great gins!

Here's a quote from one of John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee novels:

"Two ample old-fashioned glasses, side by side, filled to the
two-thirds line with cracked ice. A big, un-measured slosh of dry sherry into
each glass. Then swiftly, the strainer placed across the top of one and then
another, as with a delicate snap of the wrist he dumped the sherry down the
drain. Then fill to the ice level with Plymouth gin, rub the lemon peel around
the inside of the rim, pinch some little floating beads of citrus oil on the
surface of the drink, throw away the peel, present with small tidy bow and
flourish to the folk. "Two McGees", said he."

Hendircks is solid, but not something I can drink a lot of in a night. I'm looking to get silly and the company card is down - I will drink Tanq 10 on the rocks with a lime. It already has a bit of lime flavoring in the gin, but I like a little lime pulp floating around.

Plymouth is incredibly smooth, so watch out... you can pour a tasty yet very strong cocktail!

There is a Gin crafted here in Portland, Oregon; the brand is 12 Bridges and it is absolutely delicious with a very pronounced taste of juniper berries. It has ousted bombay completely from my shelf, and is now the only gin I drink (and I consider myself a Gin Man).

Have any of you tried New Amsterdam Gin? One of the local stores I shop at recommended it. It's pretty inexpensive, around $15-20 for a 750ml. I was surprised at the quality of it. It won best value/best tasting for 2009 at ginwisdom.com. I usually drink Tanqueray No. Ten or Boodles, but this one is a welcome addition.

They market themselves as Tanqueray at a Seagrams price. I bought a bottle on a whim but haven't cracked into it yet.

I think you mentioned that you weren't a big fan of Beefeater. I actually like it in my G & T, but I prefer Tanqueray #10 in my martini. I just feel like the Beefeater and the tonic go particularly well, together ... especially on a warm summer late afternoon or early evening. Mmmmmm...... :001_smile

Cheers,
Matthew

Beefeater for maritni...has big juniper
Junipero by Anchor Steam is great (alas not available to me, tasted it in SF).
Segrams Extra Dry is aged in wood so its yellowish, but it has complex flavors, I like maritnis made from.

I did a blindtasting once for my friends.
Tanq, Beefeater, Segrams...all in martinis (4 to 1's).

Beefeater was the clear winner.
Try a blind tasting and see what you taste alone tells you.

I am enjoying a really nice G&T made with a new bottle of Plymouth. I just know I will need one more to appreciate the full range of flavors and then swithc to Boodles, for a comparison.

Nice thread! And good to see the Beefeater brand getting a mention. If your looking for classic London taste and style then you cannot go wrong.

The Beefeater Gin is made in London's Kennington Distillery and the recipe has remained virtually unchanged since the 19th century. Natural botanicals (ingredients) are hand picked from around the world and added to pure grain spirit to create a uniquely flavoured gin.

Top Bottom