What's new

Favorite Aristocrat?

It will likely change the game... :thumbup1: . Mine did...:001_smile

Dear me, that looks wonderful in rhodium! As far as how it shaves, it takes around 2 weeks for a package from argentina to get here. I will let you know if the #21 can be beat, although consensus seems to be it can!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear me, that looks wonderful in rhodium! As far as how it shaves, it takes around 2 weeks for a package from argentina to get here. I will let you know if the #21 can be beat, although consensus seems to be it can!
My opinion on the consensus discussion is that it doesn't matter what consensus on B&B is; only your opinion counts in your shave den!

Bottom line: test it with an open mind and you will have your opinion on the matter. :001_smile

Very humble here.

I have recently got a Aristocrat Jr and I'm looking for a #16 (well... some other Aristocrats too...), but they are scarce around here and I've seen prices sky rocketing (around GBP 290!).

Very humble here.

I have recently got a Aristocrat Jr and I'm looking for a #16 (well... some other Aristocrats too...), but they are scarce around here and I've seen prices sky rocketing (around GBP 290!).
:w00t:
Must be a seasonal madness - I haven't checked on Ebay for Aristocrats for some time now but this is outrageous. I bet that the buyers don't even use them... :a7:

In the two and a half years I have been collecting razors, prices have doubled. It's a shame. Most people will never know the joy of owning and using a classic Gillette Aristocrat because of the high prices.

Re Post #145, when you say 290 pounds, I looked at that auction, that #16 set had a pristine razor, case, included the price headliner and a set of instructions. You don't shave w/the case, instructions, or headliner, nor do you need a pristine razor. You can still find an uncased solid bar flat baseplate British aristocrat for under $100 US. Can you find a collectible one for that price, not as likely. Even in the auction referenced, two people drove up the price, as often happens.good hunting and don't give up.

High prices for Aristocrats remind me that I purchased a nice 1936 Gillette Aristocrat from an antique store for $8.

Only one problem, it had a dropped handle, as many old TTO Gillette's do.

So I wrapped a towel around it and applied large and sturdy pliers to the handle and squeezed as hard as I could, using both of my 78 year old hands. I didn't think I budged it enough to slightly crimp the handle. But I did. And it's now mechanically perfect. I highly value the razor since 1936 also is my birth year.

High prices for Aristocrats remind me that I purchased a nice 1936 Gillette Aristocrat from an antique store for $8.

Only one problem, it had a dropped handle, as many old TTO Gillette's do.

So I wrapped a towel around it and applied large and sturdy pliers to the handle and squeezed as hard as I could, using both of my 78 year old hands. I didn't think I budged it enough to slightly crimp the handle. But I did. And it's now mechanically perfect. I highly value the razor since 1936 also is my birth year.

I like your style santamariasteve - well played.

:thumbup1:

Re Post #145, when you say 290 pounds, I looked at that auction, that #16 set had a pristine razor, case, included the price headliner and a set of instructions. You don't shave w/the case, instructions, or headliner, nor do you need a pristine razor. You can still find an uncased solid bar flat baseplate British aristocrat for under $100 US. Can you find a collectible one for that price, not as likely. Even in the auction referenced, two people drove up the price, as often happens.good hunting and don't give up.

Thank you so much!

Agree. Definitely I don't need the case, nor the instructions, but Aristocrats in decent condition are really scarce around here in Europe and getting ANY thing from the USA can prove a real nightmare (custom duties wise :mad3:... it depends...).

And, yes, those last-minute bids are lovely, aren't they?

Anyhow, I will keep on trying!

And this is how you make $900 in 5 minutes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291412953471?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$$_57.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291412954603?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$$_57 (1).jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291412955118?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$$_57 (2).jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291412956512?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2648&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

$$_57 (3).jpg

I'm not sure what to think of the #66 ... I don't think I've ever seen one going for this much, in this condition. Maybe the bidder wanted to buy the #16 or the #15? :lol:

Also, the seller says the French #15 sets are much rarer then the British ones ... That's certainly not what I've seen on eBay. This seller himself already sold quite a few French #15s. I've seen far less British sets.

It was fun watching those go for significantly more than the snipes I had set :blink:

Looking at the 66 case, I noticed the cloth hinge cover (for lack of better words) looked like it had been edged with pinking shears, so I wondered if it might not be the original liner.

I had similar concerns for the 16 case since the liner looked like a rigid, or boiled, felt rather than a soft lining, and had no hinge cover at all.

But I haven't been looking at these things for years so wasn't willing to bet big bucks on an uncertain guess.

It was fun watching those go for significantly more than the snipes I had set :blink:

Looking at the 66 case, I noticed the cloth hinge cover (for lack of better words) looked like it had been edged with pinking shears, so I wondered if it might not be the original liner.

I had similar concerns for the 16 case since the liner looked like a rigid, or boiled, felt rather than a soft lining, and had no hinge cover at all.

But I haven't been looking at these things for years so wasn't willing to bet big bucks on an uncertain guess.

The #66 case is definitely original. I'm surprised it went for this much, though. I've seen quite a few cleaner cases and razors going for significantly less than this one.

The #16, I agree with the seller, most likely came in a grooming set, the case is not Gillette. A bit on the expensive side too, considering the knob and the fact that's doesn't have a Gillette case.

Top Bottom