What's new

Cold Feet. Any suggestions?

Wondering about warmer dress socks. I live in the great white north where temps average about 15F and snow.

I did a couple searches and seen Smart Wool recommendations, but at $20 a pair, I think I will take cold feet, haha.

Does anyone have any other suggestions that have worked for them in the winter?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Long underwear.

If the legs stay warmer, the blood doesn't lose so much heat on the way to the feet.

I do like smart wool, but as you say, pricey. I have found through Sierra Trading "Point 6" brand to be a good quality sock on a par with Smart Wool. I bought about 9 pairs of medium hikers last year for 5 bucks a pair. I have also found over the years that wool does not wear as well as wool with about 10% synthetic. Also, I would tend to have a fit that tends towards loose on my shoes. I wear a lightly insulated boot with mid weight wool socks in the winter. Northern Illinois, so it gets cold if not average 15. Occasionally I get stuck standing out on the highway for a few hours at a time and this combination works well for me. But I wear wool socks year around. they help to keep you cool in the summer as well as warm in the winter. they don't stink like the high zoot synthetic socks do either. Good luck.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Doc4, I think I would sweat all day if I wore long underwear. You make a valid point, but the rest of me is usually more than warm enough.

For SmartWool, Wigwam, point 6 etc, do these go ok with dress shoes and a suit? This is really the only time I get cold feet. They all seem to say for hiking etc.
I actually found wigwam here in town, something like this?
http://www.mec.ca/product/5001-651/wigwam-trail-mix-fusion-merino-socks-unisex/

or

http://www.mec.ca/product/4011-843/..._en|1&h=10+50020+50121+50089&f=10+50089+50121

Last edited:
For some people (like myself), Wright Socks work great. It is a dual-wall sock, keeps your feet dry.
Not as effective as wool perhaps but then again, wool gets wet, stays wet.

From what I've gathered looking up articles on the web and talking to sales staff at REI (outdoor store), the 2 main types of warm weather socks are synthetics and wool.

My understanding is that wool is the warmest, and Smartwool socks are one of several options. They also insulate even if wet. I use synthetic Wigwams as I don't like how the wool feels.

I have also heard of using (wicking) liner socks inside other socks for extra warmth.

Any winter sock should wick, as a wet foot is a cold and unhappy foot.

If I missed anything, let me know!

Have you considered wearing your dress socks and another pair of warmer socks over them with your hiking boots? Then you can keep a pair of dress shoes in the office to slip on once you arrive. To my mind, when the weather is like that, one should be given a little latitude with business dress.

As an additional thought, can you fit thermal insoles in your boots/shoes?..

when I used to do a lot of winter fishing, they made a difference for me.

Sorry, I read too fast. I think that David's (djh) suggestion is the best. With the same dress shoes you use all the time, the fit will be too tight to put any amount of insulation in there. attempts to do so will make the shoes tight and restrict circulation making your feet even colder.

Have you considered wearing a second pair of socks? In the outdoor sports it's not unusual to wear a thin cotton sock with a thick wool sock over it. I'm pondering the possibility of wearing two pairs of thin socks so as to not create a lot of bulk. As long as the outer sock completely conceals the inner one it shouldn't be very noticeable.

Have you considered wearing a second pair of socks? In the outdoor sports it's not unusual to wear a thin cotton sock with a thick wool sock over it. I'm pondering the possibility of wearing two pairs of thin socks so as to not create a lot of bulk. As long as the outer sock completely conceals the inner one it shouldn't be very noticeable.

This is the concept of the Wright Socks that I posted above.

I bit the bullet and picked up a pair of smartwool socks today. They are pricey, but standing there with cold feet trying to decide which pair to get I thought screw it, give them a try. They had wigwams in stock, but they were quite a bit thicker.
I put them on in the right there in my car in the parking lot, and wow, nice and warm, feels great.

I like the wright socks / liner idea. The store had several different liners that were much more reasonably priced. That will be my next trial, but in the meantime I will give these a go and see how they do.

Thanks grumpybear, I did think of that but I would need to buy new shoes....at that rate $20/pair of smartwool socks for 3 or 4 pairs makes more sense.

These smartwool seemed to actually work really well. My feet werent cold at all today, but we have been in the middle of a warm chinook and temps have been around 40F (balmy hey?). The real test will be on a -15F day :)

Aside from warm, these socks are the comfiest socks I have ever owned, as they should be. For the price, I should be able to throw them at the washer and they will come out clean, dry, and folded. That will happen right?

I am a big fan of smartwool socks. I wear them year round. You can buy them in different weights. I have dress ones for work, summer thin hikers and thick woolly ones for winter. I really don't own any winter boots anymore. The weather determines what socks I am wearing that day.
They are pricy but if you buy a pair a month and build up your collection it isn't that bad. Considering I have been wearing them for 10 years and I only tossed one pair in the garbage so far. I think you will save money in the long run.
Johnny
Also if you keep an eye on some web pages they go on sale from time to time. Campers Village had a sale last January.

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
... For the price, I should be able to throw them at the washer and they will come out clean, dry, and folded. That will happen right?

Provided you see this lady in your house, yes. Yes it will.

proxy.php

... if you buy a pair a month and build up your collection it isn't that bad. Considering I have been wearing them for 10 years and I only tossed one pair in the garbage so far.

By my math, you have 119 pairs of socks!!

:scared:

Its a great idea. I think I will try a couple different ones out (wigwam, woolpower and a cpl others) to see which I like best. I have read some people saying they the smartwood dont last real long, but with your record that's pretty damn good.

Top Bottom