What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions - January 2024

I'm not generally a fan of the blowfish pipe shape, but this odd, funky little strawberry wood Daniel Mustran basically dared me to bring it home, and the price made it a no brainer...

20240103_144837.jpg

20240103_144625.jpg

20240103_144727.jpg

20240103_145111.jpg

I'm not generally a fan of the blowfish pipe shape, but this odd, funky little strawberry wood Daniel Mustran basically dared me to bring it home, and the price made it a no brainer...

View attachment 1774449

View attachment 1774451

View attachment 1774450

View attachment 1774448

I agree, it has a lot going on and I really love the fact that its a very unique pipe. There is not 1 line in alignment or one perfect circle other then what needs to be in order to work. Can't wait to see the pics on this one once you try it out.

Larry

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Found a pipe rack at an antique store today. Probably overpaid, but couldn't resist.

View attachment 1774909

I have one of those Decatur racks i need to sell. Im afraid the shipping would be more expensivve than the actual rack.

The only issue I have with the Decatur is some models used holes in the top row instead of slots, which makes it almost necessary to remove the corresponding lower pipe in order to remove the upper one.
The version with slots at the top makes that unnecessary.

EL-D24PR-FULL.jpg

If you have a steady hand and any of a variety of tools, the holes can be turned into slots pretty easily. I've done it.
The hardest part is matching the stain.

I've thought about doing that on some other racks that wouldn't accept larger pipes with longer stems that I can't seem to finagle into place.

She had two of these...maybe I should go back and get the other...in case of an ooops on the mod. 😄

In December I was at Paul's Pipe Shop in Flint Michigan. I bought one of their Cayuga pipes which are made on site, but the pipe I really wanted was clenched in the jaw of the dude helping me.

I asked him what it was, thinking it may have been one of theirs, and no such luck as he told me it was a Ben Wade. Hmmm...

Now I was on a mission to find one: Ben Wade #53, a skater...and Ebay came through, an early birthday present to myself:

20240108_183848.jpg

I pulled the trigger on a Dublin, a shape I don't have, and it's an unusual one at that:

BC_Savoir Faire_Bent Dublin_01.jpg BC_Savoir Faire_Bent Dublin_02.jpg

This Butz-Choquin is lightly bent, also unusual for me. But I liked the crisp-edged heel of the bowl. And I combined it with a jewelry box, a 1950s Moroccan wooden jewelry/trinket box w/ mother of pearl and bone inlay, as an out-of-the-blue gift for Miss Linda:

Moroccan_Jewelry Box_01.jpg.

I'm thinking I might hold off on trying out the pipe for an out-of-the-ordinary occasion -- but I don't have a birthday for a long while, and my planned retirement is more than two months off. We'll see. . . .

Top Bottom