What's new

The 2024: 1-Blade, 1-Week, *Daily Shaving Adventure

This thread will officially kick-off on Monday, January 1st.

Since 2023 went through to its logical conclusion quite successfully. Really no need to replicate it exactly.

Thinking that possibly a more expanded thread may now be in order for 2024?

Will follow-up with some thoughts...

Here it is Monday, 1/1/24.

Here are my thoughts for this year...

I typically shave daily and I was interested in finding out if I could use one blade during the entire week and then changing to a new blade?

During 2023, I went through fifty different blades. With one exception, the Treet "Black Beauty" carbon steel blade, every other blade made it through the entire week.

Out of the fifty different blades there were only two others that were kind of on the rough side by the end of the week. I would term this experiment as being a complete success. So, no need to repeat.

However... I do feel that there is a place for this thread.

In principle, it is all about using one bade for a week's worth of shaves. No longer!

Not everyone shaves daily. Some only shave during the week. Some take Sunday's off. Some shave every other day. This is all good!

If any of these profiles fit your shaving schedule, then please feel free to join in this year's thread. The weekly thing is simply for convenience, no other particular reason.

I have six modern blades remaining from the end of 2023. I will do some weekly shaves with them.

But I also have a curiousity about how some blades directly compare against another? Like what would a GSB be like directly compared against a Personna Lab Blue?

So I might take two weeks alternating these blades daily. This will still give each blade one full week's worth of shaves. This will preserve the "One Week - One Blade" concept of this thread. All the while, opening it up for some additional variations.

The Year Begins...

Week 1 Begins: Blade is the Derby Premium.

With the prices of DE blades on the rise, Derby is still under $10 for both the Premium and the Derby Extra.

First shave today was flawless.

As a note, these are the modern production blades I have left over from 2023:

Derby Premium
Gillette Rubie
LOl Titanium
Rapira Platinum Lux
Super Max Blue Diamond Titanium
Super Max Titanium

As a note, here is a link to the final summaries from last year, for reference. These are on Page 18.

After the first two excellent shaves with the Derby Premium, I decided to do a comparison with the Derby Extra. I will be using both of these blades interchangeably over the next two weeks.

I have now shaved yesterday and today with the Extra. I couldn't discern any difference. Both were close and smooth shaves. Perfect in every aspect.

I will endeavor to get a full week's worth of shaves out of each blade. At the same time, seeing if there is any substantial difference in either the shaves or the longevity of the blades.

I'll join you, @ShavingPrimate , at least for 2024-1Q. I shave only every other day, so I'll be writing about the first 3 shaves on a new blade.

These are the blades I'll be using for the first 3 months of 2024. For consistency, I will be using a Fatip Open Comb Grande (generously gifted by @mikhou ) for all shaves. I will use Ivory soap for my shaving soap to be old school and also to allow myself to feel the razor.

1. Doalco (yes not Dorco) ST300
  2. Dorco ST300
  3. Super-Max Super Stainless
  4. Big Ben Super Stainless
  5. Derby Extra (green)
  6. ASCO Super Stainless (orange)
  7. Lord Cool Super Stainless
  8. Shark Super Stainless
  9. Shark Super Chrome
  10. Shark Platinum
  11. Pearlmax Super Platinum
  12. Treet Platinum

IMG_20240105_100745187-EDIT.jpg

I have been using the Doalco blade this week. It's an obvious rip-off of the Dorco ST300, and I purchased it through Temu as I was starting my wetshaving journey. They cost around $5 for a 100 pack. I did this mostly as a gag, but having used these blades semi-regularly through Nov/Dec, I have gotten to know them well.

Three total shaves this week (MWF) using Ivory Soap as my shaving lubricant. I just use the soap bar I showered with as it has been softened and rub it back and forth in my hands until I get a good lather. Then I apply to my face and wipe off my hands with a towel before shaving. I only shave one pass with the grain because I don't have heavy facial hair. I use a Fatip Open Comb Grande and try to remember to ride the cap and take short strokes, but that doesn't always happen.

I have reviewed these before and nothing has changed since then. They work pretty good under 6 or so shaves in my experience. Whiskers are cut without argument, and if the blade is uneven I don't notice it even with the relatively Spartan comforts of the Ivory soap protection. Greater than 6 shaves and the blade will become noisy and perhaps you'll start to miss hair, but at 3 total shaves, the Doalco blade still works without problems.

I have nothing bad to say about these knock-offs which is good because I still have 95 to use up. LOL. I didn't experience any cuts, weepers, tugging, skin irritation, etc. However as someone with "normal skin" and sparse facial hair, I tend to think that my requirements in a blade are low, so take all my opinions with a grain of salt.

I'll join you, @ShavingPrimate , at least for 2024-1Q. I shave only every other day, so I'll be writing about the first 3 shaves on a new blade.

These are the blades I'll be using for the first 3 months of 2024. For consistency, I will be using a Fatip Open Comb Grande (generously gifted by @mikhou ) for all shaves. I will use Ivory soap for my shaving soap to be old school and also to allow myself to feel the razor.

Excellent! Please feel free to pop in and out of the thread anytime the mood moves you...

Thought the every other day thing would be a nice way to expand this weekly thread. It's really about being able to change out a DE blade once each week.

Looks like a nice group of blades to try. Every other day provides for a nice weekly blade rotation. It will be interesting to see how your initial blade selection will do?

Using Ivory soap intrigues me. Just a basic old school approach. Shaving soap can add greatly to the cost of shaving. More often than not, it is more expensive than the blade.

I think that I am in the school of "jump in and get it done". Nothing needs to be fancy, just practical!

Found a nice assortment that will go for almost the complete year. This has fifty different blades, with two of each blade type.

proxy.php

It's really a nice blade variety trial package.

Here is the blade breakdown:

The Sampler includes 2 individual razor blades for each one of the following quality brands:

1. Asco - Super Stainless
  2. Astra - Superior Platinum
  3. Astra - Superior Stainless
  4. Bic - Astor Stainless
  5. Bic - Chrome Platinum
  6. Big Ben - Super Stainless
  7. Bluebird
  8. Concord
  9. Croma - Diamant
  10. Crown - Platinum
  11. Crown - Super Stainless
  12. Derby - Extra
  13. Feater - New Hi-Stainless
  14. GiIIette - 365
  15. GiIIette - 7 0'Clock - Permasharp Stainless
  16. GiIIette - 7 O’Clock - Super Platinum
  17. GiIIette - Platinum
  18. GiIIette - Rubie Platinum
  19. GiIIette - Silver Blue
  20. Lord Platinum
  21. Bolzano - Superinox Inossidabile
  22. Ladas - Super Stainless
  23. Lord - Classic Super Stainless
  24. Lord - Extra
  25. Lord - Super Chrome
  26. Lord - Super Stainless
  27. Mẹrkur - Super Platinum
  28. Perma-Sharp - Super
  29. Pers0nna - Platinum (Israeli Reds)
  30. Pers0nna - Viking'S Sword
  31. Derby Premium
  32. Racer - Super Stainless
  33. Rainbow - Super Stainless
  34. Rapira - Platinum Lux
  35. Sharp 7Am Super Platinum
  36. Rapira - Super Stainless
  37. Rapira - Swedish Super Steel
  38. Shark - Super Chrome
  39. Shark - Super Stainless
  40. Super-Max - Blue Diamond
  41. Super-Max - Super Stainless
  42. Treet - 7 Days Platinum
  43. Treet - Carbon Steel
  44. Treet - Classic
  45. Treet - Dura Sharp
  46. Treet - Platinum
  47. Trig - Silver Edge
  48. Voskhod - Teflon Coated
  49. Wilkinson - Sword (Germany)
  50. Wilkinson - Sword (Indian)
Price isn't bad. They are available on Amazon for $34.95.

Looks like a nice group of blades to try. Every other day provides for a nice weekly blade rotation. It will be interesting to see how your initial blade selection will do?
They're probably all in the mild range, intentionally picked to pair with the aggressive Fatip Grande. I like that they are all easy to find and priced competitively also.

I found these blades on Amazon about a week ago.

Gisafai 1000 Count Double Edge Razor Blade Men's Safety Razor Blades Stainless Steel Platinum Coated Blades for Men a Smooth and Clean Shave

proxy.php

They run $29.99 for a thousand. Bringing them in at 3¢ per blade. At 3-shaves per-week, that's a penny a shave.

These will challenge the Doalco!
Wow, that is cheap. I have a few tucks of the Flydear and have written briefly about them. They seem perfectly fine to me.

TL,DR Wilkinson Sword Classic, very good blades.

I rarely go 7 shaves on a blade. Usually three to five but my last week - well more like nine days because I skipped the second day - I chose a blade that has flown under my radar for years. The Wilkinson Sword Classic, made in Germany 🇩🇪

1st shave was on 2 days growth with the Lupo 95 SB and the blade performed fine although maybe not the sharpest. No pulling or tugging though and ended up with a great two pass shave. Skipped one day and then shaves 2 - 7 on consecutive days.

By shave #3 I noticed the blade had become quite sharp. So sharp in fact, that for the next shaves - #4 through #7, I dropped back to the Lupo 72 plate. By shave number 3, the blade had really hit it's stride and each successive shave was just as smooth.

My curiosity was peaked so I went to Refined Shave web site that I used to visit regularly when I was a noob and looked at the empirical testing done for blade sharpness and sure enough... sharpness went from 46 unwrapped to 33 after shave one, then 34 after shave two. For comparison, a Feather was 30 unwrapped, then 40 and 40. The Wilkie was sharper than a Feather by shave two. Actually shave 3 or 4 for me since that bloke was shaving face and head. That explains what I was experiencing by shave #3 and the blade just keeps on delivering and I realized why they're so loved by many. I stopped at seven shaves out of boredom... so many blades, so little time. And yes, I ordered 100 Wilkinson Sword Classic :thumbsup:

Next up for me, a German-made blade I've never tried. Personna Platinum Chrome, 🇩🇪

Last edited:

I intend to do a two week alternating shave days using the Wilkinson Sword from Germany and the Wilkinson Sword from India.

Maybe after the Derby's, I will do the Perma-Sharp's and the Nacet's?
You could also pit stainless vs. the coated variant like Astra SS vs. Astra SP. I'm curious about that one for sure.

I'm concentrating on the lower range stainless models since they are less talked about. Definitely want to try the Indian Wilkie and the Astra SS.

You could also pit stainless vs. the coated variant like Astra SS vs. Astra SP. I'm curious about that one for sure.

Yes, that was another two that I was planning on.

This seems to be a good new direction for this year's thread. The ability to continue with the 7-Days shaving per-blade and now being able to very directly being able to compare two blades whose performance may be similar.

There are so many blades that I can think of to compare. The Treet King vs the Voskhod, the GSB vs the Lab Blue...

Hi All:

I will be joining this thread. However, I’m not real good at describing or reviewing my shaving results. So bear with me please.

I have for the last year or two changed my blade weekly after 5 days of shaving in general. I am attempting in 2024 to bump my shaves up to 6 days, or even 7, days per week and want to still change blades weekly. I change Saturday evening in preparation for Sunday morning’s shave.

My blades that I have are the following:

• Astra Superior Stainless
  • Gillette Nacet
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Lord Platinum
  • PermaSharp Super
  • Personna Lab Blue
  • Personna Medical Prep
  • Personna Red (Germany)
My first week was 5 shaves with the Personna Medical Prep. For background, I have using these blades almost exclusively for 10 years. My razor is Merkur 34c. Every day was a CCS in a 4 pass shave; WTG, ATG, XTG, XTG.

Current week, same razor, but the blade is a GSB. I started using the GSBs from a recommendation from my son. I really like them. Today I will get shave #5 from the blade. Every shave has been a CCS with a standard 3-pass, WTG, XTG, ATG. I have no irritation even without taking a day off to this point in the week. I notice when I shave in this order (WTG, XTG, ATG) I get almost the same quality shave in 3 passes as I do in the other order of passes with 4 passes.

I have a RR GC-84p in the mail from Italian Barber so I am hoping to start using that on week 4.

Will keep you posted.

Ric

dorco.jpg

Test Week #2 (01/07/2024-01/13/2024) Dorco ST300

Too Long, Did Not Read Summary:

This is an effective blade for me and very inexpensive. It is sharper than the knock-off Doalco blade I used in week 1 and I rank it higher personally. It does not glide as smoothly as the Treet Platinums that I have spent the most time with, and I think the Dorco actually cuts better but the experience doesn’t feel as nice to me. Not sure what that means, but I am sure clarity will grow as I test more and more razor blades. I do find it significant that Dorco ST300s get their share of negative comments - I find them quite efficient and do not dislike them, so I look forward to discovering the more praised brands and models.

Wound count: 2 nicks, 1 weeper
Note: Try using this one in a milder razor

01/08/2024
I repurposed hair conditioner in the shower as a pre-shave treatment. Using Ivory soap, I worked up the best lather I could with hands only and then I applied to my face. This was my first session ever with a Dorco ST300/Fatip Grande. I guess the pre-shave really changed things up. I had hardly any blade feedback at all. I had to pause and check to see that stubble actually was getting cut on my cheeks. I then tested against my sideburns and edges of goatee and then I felt the whiskers trimming. I had a small cut from shaving 2 days before and had forgotten about the wound. No issues at all with reopening it.

Overall a DFS with virtually no effort. No discomfort at all. I am very pleased. This is much better than the knock-off Doalcos for a negligible increase in cost. I want to go back and use the pre-shave with a Doalco now to determine if the difference is the pre-shave.

01/10/2024
Same pre-shave prep and lathering as before. I have been using just one side at a time after marking each edge 1-2-3-4. Today I used #2.

I noticed no changes really in the blade behavior. It felt smooth and sharp cutting. I didn’t have the same level of bliss as I did previously and the blade seemed louder than from the first session, but maybe it is also the mental state I was in. I did my usual one pass WTG north and south and noticed I may have had a near BBS which is a change from my normal PFS.

Admittedly this was likely due to a change in my shaving action. I tried less of a steep angle than I usually do and this probably cut more of the bottom part of the hair stubble than I usually do. I like it - the closeness of the shave will last longer this way surely.

BUT…I nicked myself and noticed one small weeper at the end. The cut continued bleeding for a few minutes after the shave ended, so it was the biggest gusher I have had yet. 🙁 Maybe I pressed too hard. There was some mild burning when I washed off the soap from my face with warm water and applied some aftershave.

So I got great results today but not a totally enjoyable session. My face feels a little raw still as I type this. I don’t blame the Dorco blade. As noted, I basically had a completely new edge to work with and maybe the Ivory soap isn’t good enough protection for my level of shaving skill with the new angle variable. I will make sure to slow down next time.

01/12/2023

I had a very efficient shave, even intentionally slowing myself down to avoid cuts and possible later discomfort. I used side #3 and moved down my stubble. My skin must be getting dryer due to the winter air because I nicked myself again. This was a small one that closed almost immediately, but sheesh, I feel like a teenager shaving for the first time.

An hour later, I’m OK. No discomfort, but my skin feels very much tingly, even after applying some aftershave and face lotion.

Overall impressions of the Dorco ST300: It’s sharp FOR ME. I’ve used the Gillette Nacet before and liked it, but I was using it in an old Tech razor. The ST300 in a Fatip Grande might be too uncomfortable for myself. I will give a try again for sure in the Gillette Tech.

Next week’s blade will be the Super-Max Stainless Steel.

================

Cranewarrior’s Rankings of Personally Tested Blades in 2024

#1 Dorco ST300
#2 Doalco ST300

Top Bottom