What's new

The 2024: 1-Blade, 1-Week, *Daily Shaving Adventure

I should have stockpiled the Platinums when they were selling for $6 a hundred... lol, I'm complaining about a $1.5 difference.

We get spoiled.

I just noticed the Treet Platinums have jumped in price, making them close to the current Treet King price. I shaved once with a King and thought it might be "better" than the Platinum.

When I first checked the pricing on the Kings, they were anout $15/hundred. I'm guessing these are Treet's flagship blades?

Upon trying one that I had been gifted in a blade exchange, I was very impressed. Then the prices were greatly reduced. This made them a particularly excellent value.

I find them very smooth, similar to the Voshkod's, which have now gone up in price.

I do have Treet Platinums and the Dura Sharp's in quantity.

Made the week with 7 shaves with the Gillette Perma-Sharp. I did manage 3 weepers, actually 1 weeper on 3 days. Two required styptic pencil help. Besides that the blade seemed to perform well. I would say that my preference in order of blades tried this year is:
  1. Gillette GSB
  2. Personna Lab Blue
  3. Gillette Nacet
  4. Gillette Perma-Sharp
Blades 2-4 on the list, I have only used the one week as far as I can remember. So at this point my preference rating may not be final.

Starting tomorrow I will use a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow for the week with a RR GC-84P.

Have a blessed week everyone.

1. Gillette GSB
  2. Personna Lab Blue
  3. Gillette Nacet
  4. Gillette Perma-Sharp

These are all in my first tier blades.

Starting tomorrow I will use a Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow for the week with a RR GC-84P.

Used the Yellow for the first time last year. Very impressed with it. Gave me a close and exceptionally smooth shave for the entire week. You should like them.

These are all in my first tier blades.

Used the Yellow for the first time last year. Very impressed with it. Gave me a close and exceptionally smooth shave for the entire week. You should like them.
After 1 day, I am very impressed. The blade performed very nicely; sharp, smooth, and comfortable. Hopefully the next 6 days are the same.

IMG_3529.jpeg

Week 6 Begins: Blades are the Voshkod's and the Treet Kings.

These are very similar blades in how they provide a smooth shave.

Each blade continues to match the other. Final week with these.
Hi, whats your opinion about Treet Kings vs Treet Platinums? Have you compared them? are the Kings really better?

You are probably not going to get the performance from Ivory that you would get from a regular shaving soap or gel.

Regular bar soap is basically a chemical detergent that is designed to remove grease type residue from your skin. This means, that one end of the soap molecule attaches to fat and the other attaches itself to a water molecule.
Actually Ivory soap is a real soap and not detergent based. It is tallow based, but it certainly does not have the formulation that a real shave soap has. It will be plenty slick, but the lather will dissipate rather quickly and not have stable lather. It is a NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide) lye soap containing Tallow, Palm oil or Coconut oil and then a bunch of less desirable ingredients.

Last edited:
Good morning all:

My week of 7 shaves with the Gillette Nacet is complete. It performed outstanding. Gave me 7 nick free, irritation free, 3-pass, DFS shaves. I couldn’t ask for anything more.

Upcoming week will feature the Gillette PermaSharp blade.

I will continue with my new RR GC-84P. Today was the 10th consecutive day shaving with it. Fabulous razor for me.

View attachment 1786665
Awesome razor. I love mine as well.

Hi, whats your opinion about Treet Kings vs Treet Platinums? Have you compared them? are the Kings really better?

The Treet Platinums are a good blade. I have never directly compared the two.

I was gifted some Treet Kings last year and shaved with them for the first time.

I came away very impressed.

Kings shave like a more expensive blade. A very smooth quality about them.

I put them in the Gillette 7-O'clock Black and the Voshkod camp.

The Platinum is more of a traditional blade, like the Gillette Platinum.

I might take two weeks and do a comparison between them?

It will be plenty slick, but the lather will dissipate rather quickly and not have stable lather.
That actually has been my exact experience. As I am on an extended journey using Ivory (mostly, I have cheated here and there by adding in other things such as Dove Men), I have resorted to lathering one side of my face to shave it first before moving onto the second. Adding in some Dove stabilizes the soap for shaving purposes, although I don't know why that is.

Thanks for your contribution. I probably read some comment from either you or @Lane101 about this mixture and that's how I knew to try it in the first place.

That actually has been my exact experience. As I am on an extended journey using Ivory (mostly, I have cheated here and there by adding in other things such as Dove Men), I have resorted to lathering one side of my face to shave it first before moving onto the second. Adding in some Dove stabilizes the soap for shaving purposes, although I don't know why that is.

Thanks for your contribution. I probably read some comment from either you or @Lane101 about this mixture and that's how I knew to try it in the first place.
I expected that Dove would help with the lather quite a bit. Dove men+care is a detergent based soap and has foaming agents to make the lather. The Dove soap I have some at home does lather very well and has good stability to it. Mixing it with a slick regular soap will make a very serviceable shave soap. I have heard several here on B&B doing that with good success.

Sometimes a little glycerin while making the lather will stabilize it a bit.

Week 6 February 4 - 10, 2024
Treet Dura Sharp

I'm using the Dura Sharp as part of the One Blade in February Challenge, and I got through 6 shaves in 9 days. 5 of the shaves were on one edge, and the 6th on another, leaving 2 untouched edges for the remainder of February.

My shaving notes are on the Challenge thread, but the summary is that I had comfortable shaves all-around. The Dura Sharp is probably sharper initially than my baseline, the Treet Platinum, but it is a bit bumpier. It also drops in sharpness quicker and while I could keep on going, I fully realize many people with other facial/skin characteristics would probably not tolerate it. Overall, I think it's a good blade, but it is not the #1 in my list from this year, nor is the best Treet IMO.

I will return to this thread in March when the February challenge is over.

cranewarrior’s Completely Subjective Rankings of Blades Tested in 2024

#1 Treet Platinum
#2 Dorco ST300
#3 Treet Dura Sharp
#4 Super-Max Super Stainless (Vidyut)
#5 Doalco ST300
#6 Jifuli Platinum Edge

So finished the week this morning with the Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow. I managed 8 shaves this week, as I doubled up on Tuesday. The yellow performed very well for me. In my top 4 I would say. I haven’t tried that many blades though.

My top 4 would be as of now (in no order):
  • Gillette Nacet
  • Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow
  • Gillette Silver Blue
  • Personna Medical Prep
As my week begins on Sunday, tomorrow’s new blade for next week will be the Personna Red (Germany).

Week 6 Ends: Blades are the Voshkod's and the Treet Kings.

The end result was that I couldn't tell any differences between them. To be extra critical, I used the R41 head for the final shaves with both blades.

Shaves were super close yet super smooth, no irritation at all.

And, I made a couple of changes this week.

I decided to retire the Parker head and go back to the KCG. As it is an X'89 style head and more of a standard.

I also decided to give Barbasol another try after conversing with another member. So far, so good.

Week 7 Begins: Blades are the Treet Platinum's and the Treet King's.

Have some good competition here as the Platinums were purchased last year for $12 for two hundred. This makes this a 6¢ blade, making them about a third less expensive than the King's!

Last edited:
Finished up the week this morning with the Personna Red, from Germany.

I was very impressed with its performance. However, I did feel that the blade seemed tired on today’s (7th) shave. This was my first time using the Personna Reds from Germany so I’m not discouraged yet. I still have 9 more blades to make a better assessment.

Tomorrow I will begin my week with a Asta Superior Stainless. I think this is my first go around with these as well.

I switched from a .84P to a .76P base plate on Tuesday and really like the quality of shaves that I have been getting.

Have a blessed week folks.

IMG_3599.jpeg

How do compare the differences between these two base plates?
The .76 has a lot less blade feel. It takes less concentration or control on my part to get a nick free shave. I get less irritation. I think my shave quality is at least as good or maybe even better with the .76 plate. I seem to be getting a DFS or better with 3-passes and no touch ups. Which for my face, whiskers, and technique is very good.

It’s my favorite razor to date.

Top Bottom