What's new

The 2024: 1-Blade, 1-Week, *Daily Shaving Adventure

After my first rotation through them, this is my ranking. It’s a very loose ranking and I’m pretty confident that it will change after my 2nd rotation.
  1. GSB
  2. Lab Blue

I see you are finding that the GSB and the Lab Blue are very close in comparison. That was my finding early on.

ASCO (Orange) by Lord

I had three shaves with the ASCO over two blades. I generally can get multiple shaves with any blade, but the performance was so poor for me after the first two shaves that I thought I had to have gotten a dud and I binned it. A second blade felt exactly the same however.

These blades are not sharp to me at all and I do not have heavy facial whiskers. They are unable to remove all of my stubble to my visible satisfaction. The face feels smooth enough, but I can still see the dark hair underneath my skin. I loaded a Treet Platinum on one of the shaves after using the ASCO and was able to finish properly with the Treet. I have tried the ASCO in a Lord L6 (mild) razor and a Fatip Grande (aggressive) and liked it in neither. Three shaves isn't a lot, but I just found my shaves so unenjoyable that I don't care to continue the experience and I bailed out early on my weekly test. ASCOs feel quite rough and dull to me.

We often say here that razor blades are very much a personal preference and YMMV is a truism. The ASCO exemplifies that for me. I find the performance of this blade to be abysmal and its bargain price is no deal at all if it can't even do the basic job of making you look presentable at work.

cranewarrior’s Completely Subjective Rankings of Blades Tested in 2024

#1 Gillette Silver Blue
#2 Treet Platinum
#3 Dorco ST300
#4 Treet Dura Sharp
#5 Lord Racer
#6 Super-Max Super Stainless (Vidyut)
#7 Doalco ST300
#8 Jifuli Platinum Edge
#9 Gillette London Bridge (China)
#10 ASCO (Orange) by Lord

Death No GIF

Week 12 Ends: Blade is the Rubie and the GSB. This is the second week with these two blades.

I'd say they finished neck to neck. They are more alike than not. Couldn't really discern much difference between them.

I have always considered the GSB a top tier blade. After acquiring the Rubie's, I found myself very impressed with those as well. I welcome a new blade into my top tier assortment.

Shark Super Chrome

I had 4 shaves with the Shark Super Chrome. I found it fairly smooth. The first shave was very quiet with almost no feedback, but as the coating wore off from the edge, more sound and feel came forward. Like most Lords I have tried, the Super Chrome is somewhere in the middle. It feels much sharper than the ASCO for example, but does not come near an Astra SP or a Dorco ST300. I generally find a direct link between sharpness and smoothness, but this blade bucks that trend. It glides and does not feel dull or tugging, but I do not get that mowing down a forest of hair feeling from it.

I used the Super Chrome in 3 different razors and it was satisfactory in all of them, so I consider this a good trial and I would continue to use it from time to time if I had some available. I do not know if I would deliberately buy a large supply - there are several competing blades in the same price range that I prefer.

I will be evaluating the Sharp Titanium from Bangladesh next week.

#1 Gillette Silver Blue
#2 Treet Platinum
#3 Dorco ST300
#4 Treet Dura Sharp
#5 Shark Super Chrome
#6 Lord Racer
#7 Super-Max Super Stainless (Vidyut)
#8 Doalco ST300
#9 Jifuli Platinum Edge
#10 Gillette London Bridge (China)
#11 ASCO (Orange) by Lord

Finished off the week with my 7th shave with the Personna Lab Blue this morning. It performed very well for me.

I started the week (Sunday and Monday) with a Karve Overlander, brass and finished the week (Tuesday - Saturday) with a Brassbird Lite.

I have one area of my right lower neck with slight irritation. Not sure if that is the blade or the Brassbird as it is my first 5 shaves with this razor.

I still rate the Lab Blue as one of my top blades as of today.

On to the Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow starting tomorrow morning.

Have a blessed Easter everyone.

Like most Lords I have tried, the Super Chrome is somewhere in the middle. It feels much sharper than the ASCO for example, but does not come near an Astra SP or a Dorco ST300. I generally find a direct link between sharpness and smoothness, but this blade bucks that trend. It glides and does not feel dull or tugging, but I do not get that mowing down a forest of hair feeling from it.

I feel similar with regard to the Lord products that I have shaved with. Nothing wrong with them but I was never that impressed with their performance either.

I have taken a notice that many members really like Lord blades. Where, to me, they are very average middle-of-the-road products.

I had wondered if this product profile "works" better for many shavers? I find Silver Star blades to be their highest tier blade.

Week 14 Begins: Blade is the American made Personna, the one we refer to as the Lab Blue but is officially referred to as "Comfort Coated".

Always had an excellent relationship with this blade. We'll see if this continues? This is a blade that was leftover from last year that was not used in the One Blade, One Week challenge.

I still rate the Lab Blue as one of my top blades as of today.

As do I. It is by coincidence that I am using the Lab Blue this week.

On to the Gillette 7 O’clock Yellow starting tomorrow morning.

I just had the opportunity to shave with the yellow for the first time last year during week #44. I was very impressed with its performance.

Apparently there are still Yellows available from the PPI plant. I should pick up a pack of 100.

I feel similar with regard to the Lord products that I have shaved with. Nothing wrong with them but I was never that impressed with their performance either.

I have taken a notice that many members really like Lord blades. Where, to me, they are very average middle-of-the-road products.

I had wondered if this product profile "works" better for many shavers? I find Silver Star blades to be their highest tier blade.
I have high hopes for the Lord Cool. A reviewer on YouTube thought they felt more efficient cutting than the Lord Platinum, and I suppose that might put it in Silver Star territory.

Agreed. It is not that I hate most of the Lords. I don't - I can shave quite satisfactorily with many of them. However Lord has many competitors at the same price point and I prefer some like Treet (Platinum, Dura Sharp) and Dorco (ST300) and Gillette (7 o'clock Permasharp). There's even those cheap FlyDear Platinums from China (5 cents a blade purchased from AliExpress in 100 packs) that feel sharper than most of the Lords I have tried.

Agreed. It is not that I hate most of the Lords. I don't - I can shave quite satisfactorily with many of them. However Lord has many competitors at the same price point and I prefer some like Treet...

That would be my logic. Not that there is anything wrong with Lord blades in general, but there are other blades out there that I feel are better products.

Most of Lord blades tend to fall into that $8 or $9 price window, so I guess it is hard to find fault with them.

I think I will join the group, I am in it.

For the moment I have several blades,precisely these:

- Feather;
- Astra Superior Platinum (Russian);
- Bic Chrome Platinum;
- Derby Premium;
- Wilkinson Sword;
- Gillette Platinum;
- Ladas;
- Rapira SS;
- Rimei;
- Matgicol Super Platinum;
- Rhinoceros XR;
- Elios;
- Euromax;
- Gillette Wilkinson Sword;
- Treet New Edge;
- Sharp Super Stainless;
- Sharp 7 AM Super Platinum;
- Asco SS (orange color package);
- Personna Med Prep;
- Chroma Diamant;
- Dorco Titan;
- Dorco ST300;
- Jifuli Platinum Edge

I think I may be able to locally source a few other types of blades, I will see in the next few days.
Even if I am late to start I might start and go with you, maybe once a week I can note down and update on using a blade and my impressions.

If it takes me some time I will wait a little longer and hopefully not have to interrupt or take a break because of the necessity of work or the need to keep up with family, my wife and children.

I will see if I have any other blades in the drawers, in the meantime I will get more blades like Treet King and Lion Super Stainless in the mail.
I may start from next week.
If I am too late to start then in the judgment of those already participating in the discussion in that case I will give up.

Last edited:
Pinto90 welcome aboard the thread!

This (hopefully) is a loose and easy going thread. It's only real purpose is to see if members can get a full week's shave out of a single blade.

Whether you shave daily or every other day, either is perfectly fine.

Also note, you can jump in and out of the thread as it suits you. Anytime you wish to attempt a week with one blade, please feel free to jump in and tell us about it.

You can repeat the same blade at different times if you like. Knowing about quality control is important for all to know.

If you wish to use a blade longer than one week, that is fine also. Once you achieve the full week, then any extra days should not be mentioned here. The longevity for this thread, is limited to one week.

You have an interesting and unusual blade assortment. Always good to bring in some new blades.

If the blade does not make it through the week, that's perfectly alright. Just tell us how many days it made it through.

Onward to the challenge!

Good. I am happy to join your group and review a razor blade all week.
I generally shave every two or three days, it depends on personal need however on average every week I manage to get two or three shaves.
I will start next week and since even in the other discussion group called Balin's Blade Bonanza

I am carrying on the study project on Sharp 7 AM Super Platinum sharpened blade obviously I will always start with this blade reporting my opinions and studies throughout the next week.
I plan to start Monday if my wound under my chin is definitely healed.

See you again soon.

Last edited:
Durablade Sharp Titanium

I have shaved 5 times this week with the same blade, made by Samah Industries of Bangladesh. I've been intrigued with this brand since I started browsing Amazon for shaving products; Samah Industries produces many models to choose from and their "Swiss Quality" legend arouses quizzical interest.

I find this blade initially very sharp, but there was a clear degradation even with my lighter growth facial hair by the 4th usage. It also has a rougher feel even deployed in more mild razors like the Muhle R89 or a DSCosmetics T7. The results for me were very good with close, efficient shaves finished in a reasonable amount of time.

I like the packaging of this product. The tucks of 5 come in a fully enclosed rectangular box while means you don't have the silly loss of product like you sometimes get with the display card packaging that Lord blades use. The single wrap made of waxed paper is easy to remove with no dots of glue or wax. Samah has numbers on each edge side to make it easy to keep track of usages which I appreciate.

Overall, it is a good, not great blade for me. I will happily use these as a change-of-pace, but they will not supplant my favorites. I value comfort as a quality most, and the Sharp Titanium falls a bit below its peers in this in my opinion. People that like sharp blades and re-use blades minimally might like these. They aren't costly at a usual price of $9/100.

I confess to some interest in the Hi Chromium and Hi Platinum variations with the thought that they may be smoother than the Titanium.

#1 Gillette Silver Blue
#2 Treet Platinum
#3 Dorco ST300
#4 Treet Dura Sharp
#5 Shark Super Chrome
#6 Durablade Sharp Titanium
#7 Lord Racer
#8 Super-Max Super Stainless (Vidyut)
#9 Doalco ST300
#10 Jifuli Platinum Edge
#11 Gillette London Bridge (China)