What's new

My review of the My-Blade Premium blade

This forum is full with enablers (yeah you there!), if you want to save some money then don't visit this board anymore :biggrin1:. I'm a victim of this after reading the topic about the My-Blade razor blades. Curiosity got me and I decided to give them a chance you can order them via their official website: Razor Blades - https://www.my-blades.com/collections/razor-blades

The claims on their website are pretty sketchy IMHO. If you want to read more about it check the first link in the previous paragraph. You can't buy samples when I mailed them about this issue they mailed me back with a link of a webshop which provides the samples. IMHO the platinum blades are on the pricey side €26.90 excl shipping (and import tax if you're from the US). I got myself 50 Platinum and 50 Silver blades and I received them today. This is how much I paid:

My-Blades Silver DE Rasierklingen (10 Silver Razor Blades) x5 = €6,10
My-Blades Platinum DE Rasierklingen (10 recycled Platinum Razor Blades) x5 = €13,20
Shipping fee = €10,45

Total: €29,75

1699563865978.jpeg

1699563885792.jpeg

My-blade Silver on the left, My-Blade Platinum on the right
1699563933865.jpeg

I decided to shave with the platinum blade today since that supposed to be the better one according to their website. Here is the shaving setup I have used today:

Razor: Merkur Progress (used the 5th setting for all the passes; WTG, XTG and ATG)
Blade: My-Blades Platinum
Brush: Semogue 820
Shaving cream: TOBS Coconut
Bowl: a copper bowl I bought at a dollar store couple years ago
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Whiskey woods
Preshave: hot shower (I'm not going to post any photos of that :blushing:)

1699564102437.jpeg

1st pass - WTG:
After the shower I loaded the razor and made the lather. I had no problems lathering the TOBS cream up because TOBS creams are very easy to lather. I set the Merkur Progress on the 5th setting and start shaving, I didn't know what to expect so here I went. It went very well no tugging, no nicks I was surprised. I decided to test it out on the lowest setting but TBH it's way too mild and changed the setting back to 5.

2nd pass - XTG:
It went meh, I could describe it as a little bit rough. I normally experience this when it's time to replace a blade. The stache area was a little bit troublesome, I felt like the blade wasn't sharp enough it was slightly pulling. The only time when I experienced this was when I used a Derby Extra blade when I shaved for the first couple times. Maybe if I used olive oil as a preshave oil it would be a different story but I decided to skip it for this review. To be honest; not a good sign but it still didn't mess up my face.

3rd pass - ATG:
It was okay, no issues on the cheeks, jawline or the neck areas. The stache area was a little bit troublesome but I went through it without facing any problems. I had a feeling that the blade was dulling out. Still no nicks or cuts. After I was done I rinsed my face with cold water and applied the AS and as always I got a full BBS.

My thoughts:
The blades are okayish but I would NOT buy them. They're sharp but not that sharp, an Astra SP performs much better than the My-Blades platinum. Would I use them on an average basis? Nope. I prefer to use a, Astra SP, Permasharp or a Feather razor. I really think that these blades are way overpriced lets see:

PLATINUM DOUBLE EDGE RAZOR BLADES X100 = €26.90

For that price you can buy 300 Astra SP's which are IMHO better blades.

For 22 euro you can buy 100 Permasharp razors which are even better than the Astra SP's.

For 30-30 euro you can buy 100 Feather razors which are IMHO one of the best blades ever made. I get 15+ shaves out of one blade.

I really doubt I could get more than 3 shaves out of the My-Blade Platinum despite the sugar coating attempts on their website. I expected that the blades would perform better but you can't have everything in life, I wonder how the Silver blade will perform my guess it will be worse than the Platinum blade but I could be completely wrong.

Should you buy them?
I would say no. They're already overpriced and if you order outside the EU you'll be hit with a high shipping fee + customs. Not worth it. I would say use that money on the popular razors like the Astra's, Feathers, Gillettes. I didn't fall for the environment story they promote on their website because in most cases it's just a quick cash grab. Does their server run on green energy? Are their computers and phones made of 100% recyclable materials?

lasta

Blade Biter
Thanks for posting a photo of the blades.

From the B font, guide lines and edge grind. I'm pretty sure these are made by Treet!

Which is while I'm surprised you found them dull and rough. Treet makes great blades IMO, maybe not Feather level sharp (few are) but significantly above average. I'd go as far as to say that after Russian made Gillettes, Treets are No 2.

Who is “My-Blades”? I looked at their website and there’s an “about us” page but it doesn’t say anything “about us”. It just says (and I’m summarising here) they aim to make sustainable products, but they didn’t manage to eliminate plastic so they pay a small amount of money to someone to salve their conscience. Then at the bottom there’s a “designed in Berlin” logo.

Just some kids with a web store, I guess.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
This forum is full with enablers (yeah you there!), if you want to save some money then don't visit this board anymore :biggrin1:. I'm a victim of this after reading the topic about the My-Blade razor blades. Curiosity got me and I decided to give them a chance you can order them via their official website: Razor Blades - https://www.my-blades.com/collections/razor-blades

The claims on their website are pretty sketchy IMHO. If you want to read more about it check the first link in the previous paragraph. You can't buy samples when I mailed them about this issue they mailed me back with a link of a webshop which provides the samples. IMHO the platinum blades are on the pricey side €26.90 excl shipping (and import tax if you're from the US). I got myself 50 Platinum and 50 Silver blades and I received them today. This is how much I paid:

My-Blades Silver DE Rasierklingen (10 Silver Razor Blades) x5 = €6,10
My-Blades Platinum DE Rasierklingen (10 recycled Platinum Razor Blades) x5 = €13,20
Shipping fee = €10,45

Total: €29,75

View attachment 1745975
View attachment 1745976
My-blade Silver on the left, My-Blade Platinum on the right
View attachment 1745977

I decided to shave with the platinum blade today since that supposed to be the better one according to their website. Here is the shaving setup I have used today:

Razor: Merkur Progress (used the 5th setting for all the passes; WTG, XTG and ATG)
Blade: My-Blades Platinum
Brush: Semogue 820
Shaving cream: TOBS Coconut
Bowl: a copper bowl I bought at a dollar store couple years ago
Aftershave: Clubman Pinaud Whiskey woods
Preshave: hot shower (I'm not going to post any photos of that :blushing:)

View attachment 1745979

1st pass - WTG:
After the shower I loaded the razor and made the lather. I had no problems lathering the TOBS cream up because TOBS creams are very easy to lather. I set the Merkur Progress on the 5th setting and start shaving, I didn't know what to expect so here I went. It went very well no tugging, no nicks I was surprised. I decided to test it out on the lowest setting but TBH it's way too mild and changed the setting back to 5.

2nd pass - XTG:
It went meh, I could describe it as a little bit rough. I normally experience this when it's time to replace a blade. The stache area was a little bit troublesome, I felt like the blade wasn't sharp enough it was slightly pulling. The only time when I experienced this was when I used a Derby Extra blade when I shaved for the first couple times. Maybe if I used olive oil as a preshave oil it would be a different story but I decided to skip it for this review. To be honest; not a good sign but it still didn't mess up my face.

3rd pass - ATG:
It was okay, no issues on the cheeks, jawline or the neck areas. The stache area was a little bit troublesome but I went through it without facing any problems. I had a feeling that the blade was dulling out. Still no nicks or cuts. After I was done I rinsed my face with cold water and applied the AS and as always I got a full BBS.

My thoughts:
The blades are okayish but I would NOT buy them. They're sharp but not that sharp, an Astra SP performs much better than the My-Blades platinum. Would I use them on an average basis? Nope. I prefer to use a, Astra SP, Permasharp or a Feather razor. I really think that these blades are way overpriced lets see:

PLATINUM DOUBLE EDGE RAZOR BLADES X100 = €26.90

For that price you can buy 300 Astra SP's which are IMHO better blades.

For 22 euro you can buy 100 Permasharp razors which are even better than the Astra SP's.

For 30-30 euro you can buy 100 Feather razors which are IMHO one of the best blades ever made. I get 15+ shaves out of one blade.

I really doubt I could get more than 3 shaves out of the My-Blade Platinum despite the sugar coating attempts on their website. I expected that the blades would perform better but you can't have everything in life, I wonder how the Silver blade will perform my guess it will be worse than the Platinum blade but I could be completely wrong.

Should you buy them?
I would say no. They're already overpriced and if you order outside the EU you'll be hit with a high shipping fee + customs. Not worth it. I would say use that money on the popular razors like the Astra's, Feathers, Gillettes. I didn't fall for the environment story they promote on their website because in most cases it's just a quick cash grab. Does their server run on green energy? Are their computers and phones made of 100% recyclable materials?

Thank you for your awesome review, I really appreciate your honesty! I had a feeling that the Platinum's were not going to be some miracle delivered from heaven. Sounds like they have a lot in common with Derby blades, which are known to be too mild for my course thick whiskers, so no thanks on Platinum's!

It will be interesting to see what you think of the Silver's, as those are the blades that I am thinking about getting next month, if things go well for them in the reviews. So far, Walpan loves them, but I want to hear what you think as well. BTW, whats your beard type, thin, thick, course, soft?

I too don't get fooled by the marketing claims. It sounds like a lot of fluff, with literally nothing to back it up. There's another company that likes to do that, and they are not allowed to be a vendor here, I think you know who that is lol. He likes to write essay long descriptions full of fluff, on his product listings.

Just some kids with a web store, I guess.

I completely agree with you! There is literally nothing on the website, to prove anything that they say, about how they are so GREEN with everything. And the discrepancy with where the blades are made, is quite troubling as well indeed. It is most likely, some kids with a web store.

It is in my opinion, based on many years of experience, business owners get their business started, with a business loan. Normal people don't use flighty kickstarters and indiegogo's. Thats how I started my mechanics shop, got a business loan like everybody else.

Then at the bottom there’s a “designed in Berlin” logo.
Designed in Berlin but Mfg'd in Pakistan!! I just don't get why some sellers refuse to disclose all info about they're product because with the technology available today the info will be found and released which in my opinion makes the seller look like they were trying to hide the fact and makes them look even more suspect than what they seem to be...

Thank you for your awesome review, I really appreciate your honesty! I had a feeling that the Platinum's were not going to be some miracle delivered from heaven. Sounds like they have a lot in common with Derby blades, which are known to be too mild for my course thick whiskers, so no thanks on Platinum's!

It will be interesting to see what you think of the Silver's, as those are the blades that I am thinking about getting next month, if things go well for them in the reviews. So far, Walpan loves them, but I want to hear what you think as well. BTW, whats your beard type, thin, thick, course, soft?
My facial hair is thick and curly and aggressive setup is a must but I can shave with a mild setup too but I prefer an aggressive razor with a feather. I still have to test out the Silver I'll be testing it the next time I'm going to shave (2-3 days).

To be honest I don't have high expectations of the Silver blades. IMHO the platinum is a waste of $$$, there are better and cheaper blades available.

Outstanding review!!:thumbup1::thumbup1::thumbup1:

Thanks for taking one for the team!!
I'll be reviewing the Silver blade in a couple days.

There is the review of the silver blades. If you're still interested in them just send me a PM I'll mail you some samples (10 Platinum + 10 Silver blades) for free.

Euro
your review was very extensive and detailed. I have also tried both blades and have had the exact opposite results from you. I found the Platinum blades to be smooth and relatively sharp. I found that they work best in an aggressive razor. My results with the platinum in a milder razor were more closely associated with your results. As to the Silver, I found t to be much sharper than the Platinum but just as smooth. I used the Platinum in the Ares, Rockwell T2 SS and Blackbird and my shaves were flawless. I used my regular selection of software, pre, during and post shave. I had a BBS with each one. I absolutely do no doubt your results. But as has always been said, shaving is totally subjective and YMMV.
i believe everyone should at least try the blades and decide for themselves. I know that individual tucks are available in Europe and maybe in the US soon.

The last thing I need when unwrapping a bloody razor blade is an 'Inspirational Message' telling me to be the 'Best Version of Myself' (or whatever). These, I suspect, are the razor blade of choice for those who bought into the WeWork hype, knit their own vegan cheese, and shave while in a tantric Yoga position. They may also identify as 'Hipsters', and wear shoes with no socks a lot, and enjoy the look and feel of Man-Buns.

I freely admit I'm an Old Fart.

The last thing I need when unwrapping a bloody razor blade is an 'Inspirational Message' telling me to be the 'Best Version of Myself' (or whatever). These, I suspect, are the razor blade of choice for those who bought into the WeWork hype, knit their own vegan cheese, and shave while in a tantric Yoga position. They may also identify as 'Hipsters', and wear shoes with no socks a lot, and enjoy the look and feel of Man-Buns.

I freely admit I'm an Old Fart.
So! How many did you order? Namaste brother.😃

Thank you for the honest review.

When reading through their materials it just seemed more like they were a marketing company trying to hype up a new product.

If consumers want sustainability and want to be eco-friendly they should go for a straight razor or don’t shave.

Too much C02 in manufacturing, marketing, shipping (Manufacturer to distributor to end user and anywhere in between)…and all the other points you mention. My wife works for a company that actually has a sustainability director or something (Thats an actual career path 🧠). They always publish reports on their efforts. It’s cool to see the studies and how the business is actually is affected long term.

Anyways…here are my words of affirmation to everyone today…”You’ll have a great shave today”.

Thanks to a generous donor, the Great Blade Exchange now has My-Blades Silver & Platinum in its inventory. Click the link in my signature to learn more about the GBE & how to try the My-Blades.
IMG_6262.jpg

Top Bottom