What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions -- February 2024

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I'll kick off this month with a new to me Nimrod pipe lighter from the 'bay. I won it in a lot with a zippo pipe lighter and an old Willard pipe. The seller mentioned that they couldn't get it to work and to consider it for parts...I had it working in 5 minutes. A new flint and a bit of fuel and that was all it took!
20240203_153621.jpg

20240203_154141.jpg

I'll kick off this month with a new to me Nimrod pipe lighter from the 'bay. I won it in a lot with a zippo pipe lighter and an old Willard pipe. The seller mentioned that they couldn't get it to work and to consider it for parts...I had it working in 5 minutes. A new flint and a bit of fuel and that was all it took!
View attachment 1790670
View attachment 1790671
Crazy how much better they light when you add fuel, huh? 😆

This should be a pretty epic acquisition month, with all the IPSD purchases rolling in here in a couple weeks.

View attachment 1790670
View attachment 1790671
There isn’t much to go wrong with old cotton soaked fuel lighters. It’s 1 of 3 things it could be: fuel, wick, or flint. The nimrod takes a bit of practice with the draw down, but once you get the hang of it they light a pipe quite well. Polish it up with some flitz and it will look as good as new! Down side is they only hold fuel for 3 or 4 days tops.

Larry

In the mail today I received the SilverKing Synchromatic Canadian style pipe I found on eBay. It has a screw in stem, much like a Grabow, which appears to be clockable and is what I assume the Synchromatic references.

There are voids in the outer surface of the bowl, so it's obviously a second. It's been reamed and does have a ghost of some tobacco with a strong note. If it persists, I will have to do something about it.

The initial smoke with BCA is going well, it will take time to settle in.

ResizedImage_2024-02-05_14-27-19_2660.jpg
ResizedImage_2024-02-05_14-39-43_2209.jpg

brandaves

Got a second Nimrod listed as not working and to be considered for parts...this one took a bit longer but got it working as well. The flint reservoir was clogged so I had to delicately hand drill it out with a small bit. Once cleared I replaced the flint and that was gold. Next, the O-ring around the fuel reservoir was missing so I replaced that, fueled it up and Yahtzee! A second working Nimrod 😁

Got a second Nimrod listed as not working and to be considered for parts...this one took a bit longer but got it working as well. The flint reservoir was clogged so I had to delicately hand drill it out with a small bit. Once cleared I replaced the flint and that was gold. Next, the O-ring around the fuel reservoir was missing so I replaced that, fueled it up and Yahtzee! A second working Nimrod 😁

What size O-ring gaskets are you using...on the 2 Nimrods that I have I tried using gaskets to fit on the inside but that didn't really seal the fluid inside from evaporating. Have you seen any much needed improvements on fluid retention? Inquiring minds want to know :biggrin1:

Ok Go Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Larry

Last edited:

brandaves

What size O-ring gaskets are you using...on the 2 Nimrods that I have I tried using gaskets to fit on the inside but that didn't really seal the fluid inside from evaporating. Have you seen any much needed improvements on fluid retention? Inquiring minds want to know :biggrin1:

Ok Go Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Larry
I'll have to grab my box of O-rings from the office and I'll let you know. Both my lighters O-rings are visible when the cap is tightened. Probably not originally designed that way, but I know that the cap is closing on the ring which is therefore providing a seal.

I've been putting it off, waiting for a sale, and SP has 10% off on pipe tobacco. So: A tin of Peterson My Mixture 965 and one of Rattray's Stirling Flake will be on their way to me with a packet of White Elephant tapered pipe cleaners (also on sale).

Yes, these tobaccos are both pretty strong. Lately I've been experimenting with simply smoking a partial bowl of Sherlock Holmes, which is pretty powerful by my standards, for just ten minutes. I figure I can try these the same way or mix with other blends. Anyway, the 965 is supposed to be a classic (a preferred blend of Wm. Faulkner's?), and I named my big black cat "Stirling," so they both seem appropriate to try.

Top Bottom