What's new

Brown Leaf Acquisitions -- March 2024

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I’ll start things off for March. Got some component tobacco for a blend I’m making for a friend.

IMG_6297.jpeg

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Mr Postie brought me a parcel today.

Three flavours of vape juice (200ml each)
Four packs of pipe cleaners

(You don't need pics of those)

2 x tins of Gawith & Hoggarth Jubilee
A simple Virginia Burley ribbon cut, blended for Elizabeth II Platinum Jubilee.

50g Gawith Hoggarth American Black and Brown
A lovely simple Virginia, Burley and Cavendish aromatic with a simple molasses topping

50g Gawith Hoggarth New Prince
A fine Virginia blend ribbon cut, with a light vanilla and maple topping

25g Gawith Hoggarth Mixed No.8 CV
A mixed (gold and dark) Virginia shag, with a Cherry and Vanilla topping

25g Gawith Hoggarth Gold Perique
A gold Virginia shag with some added Perique for extra flavour

IMG_20240312_121350.jpg

The two tins will be stowed away in the shoebox archive for a few years, and the pouches will be smoked fresh.

The star of the show though, is a limited edition, gold plated Falcon Shillelagh.

IMG_20240312_121313.jpg

I'm hoping it's actually gold coloured PVD coated for better durability, but either way it's a stunner as far as I'm concerned. I've been wanting a "special occasion" pipe for a while, but my budget doesn't stretch to anything too fancy. I got this for less than an entry level Peterson.

IMG_20240312_121146.jpg

Algiers bowl with black dyed smooth sides and natural rim.

Is there one site where you can find a wide range of both Falcon stems and bowls? SP has a couple of stems but no bowls; TobaccoPipes has stems but is out of stock on nearly all its bowls.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is there one site where you can find a wide range of both Falcon stems and bowls? SP has a couple of stems but no bowls; TobaccoPipes has stems but is out of stock on nearly all its bowls.

Gqtobaccos.com
Smoke.co.uk
Mysmokingshop.co.uk

I believe they all ship pipes (not tobaccos) to the US

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks, AW. I've written to the last one to ask if they do ship pipes to the States. They seem to have a good balance of price and available choices in both stems and bowls.

The UK suppliers tend to be limited by their payment intermediaries, as to what they are allowed to ship where. I know there are some UK sellers that don't export anything to your side of the puddle anymore. These three stores have all given me good service in the past.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Me again! More Falconalia

IMG_20240319_102404.jpg

There was something smokeable in the parcel too, but in the gruesome packaging, so I'll spare you from seeing that. I'll be getting that into Mylar immediately, save for a little pinch to burn the stain off the inside of this new bowl ;)

Edit: The blend went in a jar. It feels just about perfect for smoking, so too dry for storing. I think I'll hydrate this a bit before bagging up.

Last edited:

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I will say with this latest shillelagh stem, that if you open up the pic and look close, you'll see areas within the twist where either the black hasn't taken, or possibly where it got scratched off when fitting the centre tube.

None of that matters to me. It was twenty quid, and I don't expect a masterpiece for a hand made £20 item. Plus, I drop stuff, so it probably won't be long before there's more shiny bits anyway. Again, I don't care, but some buyers might expect more than I do for less than what some cob pipes cost over here.

I don't want to steer anyone off it. It's a damn good pipe, and it's hanging out of my pie hole right now, but if anyone's going for a "fancy one", be pragmatic in your expectations. There may be cosmetic blemishes, but to me the "working man's pipe" is part of the appeal.

That said, it's the first of my pipes to have any coating blips, but it's also the first one that's been a two colour build. Who knows, yours might be perfect.

I woke up this morning with this odd desire to purchase . . . a bent billiard. Nearly all the pipes I've bought in the last three years have been straights, and the few bents I've picked up and the ones I had from the Eighties are all bent apples or pot-bowls. Recently I've thought of an Oom Paul. My first "good" pipe was an Oom Paul Lorenzo, and it smokes well. But the stem is fairly short and smoke gets in my eyes. Maybe a longer one . . . or a classic billiard with a moderate-length acrylic stem . . .

Impulse buy, and not a bent billiard (pace my post No. 13): a pre-1980 Orlik Large Chimney! It's not a shape I have, and it's a good length as well, 6.4", with a grand color and grain:

Orlik_Chimney_01.jpg Orlik_Chimney_03.jpg

Orlik_Chimney_04.jpg Orlik_Chimney_05.jpg

Should make for interesting smoke sessions. As with my purchase a month or so ago of a Butz-Choquin bent Dublin, this seems such a good-looking pipe, I hate to think about bringing a searing match anywhere near it. But I suspect I'll get over that. . . .

Impulse buy, and not a bent billiard (pace my post No. 13): a pre-1980 Orlik Large Chimney! It's not a shape I have, and it's a good length as well, 6.4", with a grand color and grain:

View attachment 1819019 View attachment 1819023

View attachment 1819022 View attachment 1819024

Should make for interesting smoke sessions. As with my purchase a month or so ago of a Butz-Choquin bent Dublin, this seems such a good-looking pipe, I hate to think about bringing a searing match anywhere near it. But I suspect I'll get over that. . . .
This is a beautiful pipe. I am a big fan of straight pipes and classic english shapes! This is a big boy and bowl should last you a few hours! Enjoy in good health.

This is a beautiful pipe. I am a big fan of straight pipes and classic english shapes! This is a big boy and bowl should last you a few hours! Enjoy in good health.
Thank you, sir,

I'm rarely one to smoke a pipe for more than half an hour at a time. My hope is, if I load this one to the top, that I can smoke it for thirty minutes in the evening and then another fifteen or twenty in the morning, or vice versa.

UPS Tracking says it may be delivered Monday to my work!

Last edited:
Thank you, sir,

I'm rarely one to smoke a pipe for more than half an hour at a time. My hope is, if I load this one to the top, that I can smoke it for thirty minutes in the evening and then another fifteen or twenty in the morning, or vice versa.

UPS Tracking says it may be delivered Monday to my work!
And so it has been. Actually MBSD Pipes sent me 3 pounds of wrapping material with a bowl and stem accidentally trapped inside.

Top Bottom