What's new

Bread -

Made a Cheddar Sourdough over the weekend. Was hoping for more oven jump. Tasted great but I'll be tempted to throw cheese into every sourdough now...

76% hydration, 8 hour bulk at room temp (20c or so), shape and proof for 2 hours, into the fridge for 28 hours. Bake.

20200810_185550.jpg

That's funny because I was too and actually bought a huge bag of jalapenos for fermenting some hot sauce and intended to throw a few into these loaves. But I absent-mindedly brined them all and was too lazy to fish them out of the jar 🙃 Next time

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
So I tried a midweek bake and followed the advice of kelbro to prep the liner less bannetons to create a skin. Proofed overnight in the fridge they popped right out in the morning with no issues. After baking I was very pleased with the result. I cloud see a bit of the ring marks, not really evident when using the liner. Made me wonder, what is the purpose of the linen liners? Is it function, or cosmetic results, as I prefer the result without the added use of a liner. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
8D214164-1A04-4026-B797-E86CCE431B7A.jpeg

Just came out of the oven, the real test will be in a few hours when I cut in.

So I tried a midweek bake and followed the advice of kelbro to prep the liner less bannetons to create a skin. Proofed overnight in the fridge they popped right out in the morning with no issues. After baking I was very pleased with the result. I cloud see a bit of the ring marks, not really evident when using the liner. Made me wonder, what is the purpose of the linen liners? Is it function, or cosmetic results, as I prefer the result without the added use of a liner. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Just came out of the oven, the real test will be in a few hours when I cut in.

Perfection!! Great jump and blistering.

As for the liner, I've always assumed it was because a bakery would want to wash what is touching the bread every so often and that isn't practical to do that with just the banneton. I could be completely wrong though. I've been to bakeries where they certainly don't bother with the liner

As for me, I've never even tried to use them.

...Made me wonder, what is the purpose of the linen liners? Is it function, or cosmetic results, as I prefer the result without the added use of a liner. Anybody have any thoughts on that?
I think the liner was intended to shape the dough and prevent it from sticking to the banneton, originally a coarse-woven basket. It also covers the dough and holds some heat in. The cloth would be dusted with flour and some flour would be caught in the texture of the fabric, making in non-stick.

Some types of bread are made using just cloth in a flat pan to support the dough and prevent loaves from sticking together.

I've had a breadmaker for over 20 years - just dump everything & push the GO button. Makes respectable bread, but I would most often put the mixed dough into a glass loaf pan for final proofing before baking. Makes great bread ... as long as you eat it while hot. Trouble is, I can only eat so much bread before it gets moldy and once cold, it's never as good as hot outta the oven. I've also got some killer no-knead recipes too, but I just can'teat enough to make it very often. The $1 Walmart Italian loaf works great for PB&J sandwiches.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
I've had a breadmaker for over 20 years - just dump everything & push the GO button. Makes respectable bread, but I would most often put the mixed dough into a glass loaf pan for final proofing before baking. Makes great bread ... as long as you eat it while hot. Trouble is, I can only eat so much bread before it gets moldy and once cold, it's never as good as hot outta the oven. I've also got some killer no-knead recipes too, but I just can'teat enough to make it very often. The $1 Walmart Italian loaf works great for PB&J sandwiches.

It's just two of us at home now. After eating all that we can :) on the first day, I slice and freeze what we don't eat. Bread freezes and thaws very well. Gives us 'fresh' bread all week.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
Flour, water, salt

It's as Zen as lather, strop, shave 😌

View attachment 1142155
I just finished explaining to my darling wife my take on the mindfulness aspect of both shaving and baking bread. The commitment and attention to detail. Also the pure joy of the simplicity. Basically she prefers me clean shaven and enjoys eating the bread. It’s me who likes all the other stuff.
A29226F9-13EF-4899-ACE0-214D430DA789.jpeg

Great way to start the morning!

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
It's just two of us at home now. After eating all that we can :) on the first day, I slice and freeze what we don't eat. Bread freezes and thaws very well. Gives us 'fresh' bread all week.
I make 2 loaves. One we eat fresh, the other gets sliced on day 2 and frozen for toast. Best toast ever..

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I just finished explaining to my darling wife my take on the mindfulness aspect of both shaving and baking bread. The commitment and attention to detail. Also the pure joy of the simplicity. Basically she prefers me clean shaven and enjoys eating the bread. It’s me who likes all the other stuff.
View attachment 1142694
Great way to start the morning!
I never before thought that bread could be sexy. This thread is proving it.

Top Bottom